PDA

View Full Version : Current Price for WWs???

azcoyhunter
02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I am not sure if this is in the right place,

My Question is

I have a local junk yard that is notorious for high prices.

I was wanting to go in and ask him if he would sell me WWs, I can remove them (gotta find a WW puller somewhere).

My question is what is a fair price for WWs that I pull myself?

I assume per pound? Per Coffee Can? Per What????

Thanks for any info

The Dove
02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Gettem' while you can! What are you willing to pay?

The Dove

mpmarty
02-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't know what a five gallon bucket weighs, but around here the shops get fifty bucks for a full one.

jsizemore
02-11-2009, 10:02 PM
I payed $.15/lb but the junk yard only pays $.02 so nobody is bringing any in to sale. Found some at another scrap yard but they were $.25/lb and they were the only place that had any. Bought 1000 lbs. I pay tire shops $.15/lb cuz' it's all I can find and I'm glad to get em.

mtgrs737
02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I give $25 per five gallon bucket for them, and am happy to get them!

Racer X
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I paid $60 for the last few I bought. Sounds like I am getting ripped off, but so few places in my area are willing to let you have them. Tire places are recyling them through their wheel weight supplier.

Huntducks
02-18-2009, 05:26 PM
FREE from a local place.

Marine Sgt 2111
02-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I pay $20.00 for a "home depot" bucket full...

TC66
02-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Current scrap metal price on scrap metal network is .15 cents. Market Average is .22 cents.

http://www.scrapspot.com/03-013720.html?affilid=

Tom

par0thead151
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
i paid $ .2/1# a few months ago.
glad i got it as soon there will be no more lead WW, per EPA mandate

Jaybird62
02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I paid $35 for a 5 gal. bucket yesterday. I went to the next tire shop and got 3 gal. for free.

leadman
02-20-2009, 12:28 AM
5 years ago a full to the top 5 gallon bucket weighed close to #200. Now with the zinc and iron they weigh #150 on up.

joecool911
02-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Is the price of lead somewhat regional? Here in Oregon they seem to want about 45 cents a pound for wheel weights.

On a side note. Do you think that wheel weights are on the hit list of environmentalism? Seems like some poor wittle animal could eat one along the road. Or a child could pick one up and use it for a pacifier. :-D

I am stocking up, even at 45 cents a pound. A 300 grain bullets costs less the 2 cents in lead...even at the higher price than what others I see are paying.

joecool911
02-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Is the price of lead somewhat regional? Here in Oregon they seem to want about 45 cents a pound for wheel weights.

On a side note. Do you think that wheel weights are on the hit list of environmentalism? Seems like some poor wittle animal could eat one along the road. Or a child could pick one up and use it for a pacifier. :-D

I am stocking up, even at 45 cents a pound. A 300 grain bullets costs less the 2 cents in lead...even at the higher price than what others I see are paying.

I think I may have figured it out. Here in Oregon people use wheel weights for making fishing weights. For halibut we cast weights up to 3 pounds. Salmon fishermen use them too. I bet there is just more demand here then in land locked areas of the great ole USA. Even @ 45 cents, it is a lot cheaper than buying fishing weights at the store.

par0thead151
02-20-2009, 12:14 PM
20 cents apound was a damn good buy then for me. i need to score some more for free at my buddies shop though... free > .20/#

bbs70
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Need Lead and a little tin?
There is a benefit auction going on now on this site.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=46650

FN in MT
02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Apparently someone in my area paid $65 a bucket and virtually overnight prices have risen! Stopped to a tire store where I've bought them for $15 a bucket. He had a full bucket and wanted $50!

The other alarming new development....I'm now averaging 5-10 pounds of zinc per bucket. What a PIA.

FN in MT

joecool911
02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
What are you doing with the zink? Does it not melt at lead temps?

par0thead151
02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
zinc melts at 700+ lead melts at 600
idk what people use zync for, i would like to find a use...
is it just paranoia, or are casters having harder times finding leas over the past few months?
makes me want to stock up more than what i have already

Jaybird62
02-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I found a use for zinc... fishing weights and lures. I've got one old pyramid sinker mold, and I'm looking for more molds. Anybody got any leads on fishing lure molds? I came up with the idea when one tire shop owner said I could have his weights if I brought him back some fishing weights.

BruceB
02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Gentlefolk;

We really need to exercise some critical thinking on this subject of wheelweight pricing.

Yes, many of us USED to get wheelweights for literally nothing, or at least a fraction of what they're costing in some places today. Unfortunately, that was then, and this is now.

Things change, and the biggest change I see in the future is the accelerating condemnation of lead as a poisonous substance. Whether we like it or not, or admit it to ourselves or not, the fact remains that lead wheelweights are on the way out. They will become increasingly scarce, and hence harder to locate for use in our hobby.

What to do??? GET THEM NOW, as available, where available, and at whatever half-reasonable cost we can manage.

Let's use a 150-grain cast rifle bullet for an example. If a 5-gallon bucket of WW yields 100 pounds of usable metal (a conservative figure), then there will be about 4,600 bullets in that bucket. If the bucketful cost us $10, then $1 bought us the metal for 460 bullets! At $20/bucket, we got 230 for a dollar, and for fifty bucks for a bucketful, we get alloy for 92 bullets for one dollar. NINETY-TWO! To buy 92 commercial jacketed bullets will cost in excess of $20. So, add the cost of gaschecks, and our 92 cast bullets will cost about four dollars, total.

I submit that even at $50 per bucket, the raw material is a screaming bargain. I'm no happier than anyone else at the price increases in some areas (so far, I've been VERY lucky in this regard), but even at $50 per bucket we still get a LOT of "bang" (literally) for our dollar. Obviously, the savings make a huge leap if gaschecks aren't required.

Personally, I'm going to become a lot more active in glomming all the WW I can find. My last 300 pounds cost me 18 cans of Pepsi and a dozen doughnuts, but I KNOW how rare that's becoming. Instead of stopping in once in a while, I'll be a much more frequent visitor to my favorite trapline spots to pick up what I can.

Get them NOW! They surely don't go bad in storage, and a few thousand pounds on-hand will give us that warm fuzzy feeling. Just hope we don't have to move very often!

bbs70
02-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Whenever I search for lead the first thing I hear is "how much do you buy it for"
So, when I talk to someone about lead I ask them do you have any lead you would like to sell.

I have gone into tire dealers and asked if they have any used wheel weights.
A few said no, until I said I was willing to buy them, then all of a sudden they had 100 to 200 lbs of them.

I don't mind paying for lead, but some of the prices they want for it are redicilous.
I have called scrap dealers and have got prices from 20 a lb to 70 a lb.
The dealer who wanted 70 a lb says he has 2000 # or more of assorted lead scrap.
He has had it for a while, I WONDER WHY.:-?

I'm COLLECTING as much lead as I can, but at some of these prices I'll let some of it go.

Willbird
02-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Whenever I search for lead the first thing I hear is "how much do you buy it for"
So, when I talk to someone about lead I ask them do you have any lead you would like to sell.

I have gone into tire dealers and asked if they have any used wheel weights.
A few said no, until I said I was willing to buy them, then all of a sudden they had 100 to 200 lbs of them.

I don't mind paying for lead, but some of the prices they want for it are redicilous.
I have called scrap dealers and have got prices from 20 a lb to 70 a lb.
The dealer who wanted 70 a lb says he has 2000 # or more of assorted lead scrap.
He has had it for a while, I WONDER WHY.:-?

I'm COLLECTING as much lead as I can, but at some of these prices I'll let some of it go.

I'm very open to paying for WW, and I pay .02 more than the local scrapyards will pay and I am picking up and paying in cash. However I feel there is no benefit in "teaching" the tire shops that they can get $.50 per lb and get it picked up and paid in cash when the local scrapper will only pay $.15 if they drop off the WW. If they want $.50 I will give em BruceB's number ;-).

Bill

bbs70
02-22-2009, 05:13 PM
For tire dealers and car dealers I usually offer 5 cents more a pound than what they can get at the scrap yard.
(An incentive to sell them to me).

After all they don't have to load them up, saving them time, gas , and man hours.
I feel this is a fair price for them.
I can't see paying them what a scrap yard sells them to me for.
After all I'm saving them time and they get more money if they sell them to me.

What I was meaning was that around here no one gives anything away, they are afraid someone will make money on it.
If they want to sell me ww at what the scrap yard charges me for them, then I just wait and pick them up at the scrap yard.

As an example.
I have let it be known at tire and car dealerships in my area that I'm willing to buy ww.
Everyone knows that.
But last Thursday I stopped in at the local scrap dealer and he had just gotten 230 lbs of ww from a local dealer.
He got 7 cents a pound and I got them for 20 a lb.
I would have paid the dealer up to 15 a pound and hauled them away saving him the work, but people around here are a little wierd.

When scrap dealers start wanting 50 to 70 cents a lb, then I just walk away, I don't need them that bad.
Especially when I know they only gave 5 to 7 cents a lb.