PDA

View Full Version : Hornady One Shot

dearslayer
08-04-2023, 08:48 PM
So I just received 2 cans of Hornady One shot "Gun Cleaner and lube" that I purchased here in canada. I mistakenly thought it was "Case lube" and this Gun cleaner can not be returned,,, its a very long story. It seems The One Shot case Lube can't be found anywhere here. Can I assume the Gun Cleaner can't be used as a case lube?? I was so excited to find what I thought was case lube. The cans look very similar.

M-Tecs
08-04-2023, 09:07 PM
Can't give you any advice on the cleaner since I've never used it. I have been using the case lube since it came out. I love it. Some hate it. When you do find some make sure you give it enough dry time. Thirty minutes minimum is recommended.

I do a lot of 223's and 308's on a progressive. A dry lube like Hornady One Shot doesn't gum up the progressives like some lub's do.

dannyd
08-04-2023, 09:54 PM
Nope, the Hornady gun cleaner is definitely not case lube. I use them both and there to completely different products.

Winger Ed.
08-04-2023, 10:12 PM
It might work as a lube, but you're in uncharted waters.

If ya try it, one of two things will happen:
1. It'll work just fine.
2. You'll need your stuck case extractor.

dearslayer
08-04-2023, 11:16 PM
I sprayed 3 cases very lightly about an hour ago and I just ran them through the press and it seems to have helped with sticking. No powder stuck to the case either which is a good sign. It seems to have dried pretty good with no sticky residue.

I remember reading somewhere that Hornady One Shot case Lube could not be imported to Canada for some reason.I know it used to be sold here but would love to know if its now no longer being imported.

08-05-2023, 10:04 AM
Just about any lube will help get the case in and out of your die without sticking. The One Shot Case Lube’s selling point is that it will not affect your powder or primer. So, there is no need the remove the lube after sizing.

And what M-Tecs said, as well.

I am able to reload 300BLK, 30-30, 35 Rem, and 38-55 ammo in one trip though the Dillon 650 when using Hornady One Shot Case Lube—I do not trim them. Just prep the brass and run it though all 5 stations, and out pops a ready to shoot cartridge.

Blindshooter
08-05-2023, 10:12 AM
Don't know anything about the cleaner but I'm addicted to the case lube.

It greatly lessens the effort to operate a progressive. Important for my bad joints.

dannyd
08-05-2023, 10:40 AM
Cases into a baggy, two sprays of lube, loaded rounds into a large towel roll them around takes off excess lube and to the range we go.

Clean the press with the hornady cleaner rinse and repeat;)

ebb
08-07-2023, 08:17 PM
You don't want One Shot Case Lube anyway, ask me how I know?

dearslayer
08-07-2023, 11:48 PM
You don't want One Shot Case Lube anyway, ask me how I know?

Seems as though more recommend it than those that don't. What is your experience with it that you feel that way?

Big Wes
08-08-2023, 11:29 AM
Make your own case lube :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQn-8hMBHpI
Works like a charm!

scattershot
08-08-2023, 11:39 AM
Can’t help with the gun cleaner, but you can make your own case lube pretty easily. 10:1 ratio of 99% alcohol or Heet starting fluid, to 1 part pure lanolin. There are articles and YouTube videos on its use.

dannyd
08-08-2023, 11:50 AM
For me easier to buy can because it last couple of years.

rcslotcar
08-08-2023, 12:36 PM
I've used One Shot for years for all pistol and rifle cases. I set the brass case mouth facing me. I'll spray into the case mouth and case body before case sizing. After the brass is sized and trimmed I'll pin polish with a little extra Dawn in the drum. I use One Shot even with carbide dies as it makes every thing run smoothly. I also use One Shot to lube all moving parts on every reloading press. Hope you can source a supplier.

jmorris
08-08-2023, 01:03 PM
It seems The One Shot case Lube can't be found anywhere here.

I’d say your pretty lucky. I still have most of a can of One Shot case lube, I only kept to show people how crummy is is compared to any decent case lube, even newbies can feel the difference.

The Hornady Unique case lube is pretty good though.

Shawlerbrook
08-08-2023, 05:47 PM
The Hornady One Shot lube did extremely well in rust prevention tests that were all over the web a few years ago. You might have lucked out and got a good product only for a different purpose. Now buy some Imperial Sizing Wax for case lube and you will be all set.

dearslayer
08-09-2023, 06:22 AM
I've used One Shot for years for all pistol and rifle cases. I set the brass case mouth facing me. I'll spray into the case mouth and case body before case sizing. After the brass is sized and trimmed I'll pin polish with a little extra Dawn in the drum. I use One Shot even with carbide dies as it makes every thing run smoothly. I also use One Shot to lube all moving parts on every reloading press. Hope you can source a supplier.
I did manage to source some so I grabed enough to last the rest of however many years I have left.

GWS
08-09-2023, 03:37 PM
I’d say your pretty lucky. I still have most of a can of One Shot case lube, I only kept to show people how crummy is is compared to any decent case lube, even newbies can feel the difference.

The Hornady Unique case lube is pretty good though.

He found some, bought a lot, so maybe saved someone a stuck case disaster.;)

Kidding aside, is Unique made by Imperial? I like Imperial, but haven't tried Unique. I do think wax works good for most. But MG'd LC 7.62 that's been blinged in a wet tumbler with pins, might be the exception. I almost stuck such a case with Imperial....had to go back to the RCBS lube pad lube to size that stuff.

I understand with Hornady's Oneshot, you have to make sure it is dry before you size........is that everybody's take, experience?

Actually the best lube I ever used, I used only once......too much mess, and too much trouble.....STP oil treatment.

dannyd
08-09-2023, 03:49 PM
He found some, bought a lot, so maybe saved someone a stuck case disaster.;)

Kidding aside, is Unique made by Imperial? I like Imperial, but haven't tried Unique. I do think wax works good for most. But MG'd LC 7.62 that's been blinged in a wet tumbler with pins, might be the exception. I almost stuck such a case with Imperial....had to go back to the RCBS lube pad lube to size that stuff.

I understand with Hornady's Oneshot, you have to make sure it is dry before you size........is that everybody's take, experience?

Actually the best lube I ever used, I used only once......too much mess, and too much trouble.....STP oil treatment.

I think it depends on what your loading and have many rounds. I shoot over 12,000 revolver rounds a year, One Shot helps with the process on the progressive loaders. The few rifle I load every couple of years, I use Imperial Case Lube. So, I think it mainly is personal preference.

M-Tecs
08-09-2023, 04:10 PM

I give it a minimum of 30 minutes but mostly I spray the cases the night before. Normally I do batches of a 1,000 or more at a time. I know I've done 100K using Hornady One Shot. Actual numbers are probably closer to 200K. 80% of that were 223 and 15% 308 with a mixture of other cases. I do light spray pistol cases being sized in carbide dies but I am not counting them in the numbers. Only time I've ever had an issue was when I tried to size one 223 case before it dried.

porthos
08-09-2023, 07:56 PM
well, i have yet to find anything better that redding (formally imperial) case lube. the one shot aerosol might be faster ; but, i doubt it is better

groovy mike
08-09-2023, 09:25 PM
My advice is to immediately throw away any product labelled as "Hornady One Shot"

If you choose not to do so, you will learn from your mistakes instead of mine.

dannyd
08-09-2023, 10:52 PM
well, i have yet to find anything better that redding (formally imperial) case lube. the one shot aerosol might be faster ; but, i doubt it is better

We are not looking for better, most people that use One Shot are looking for faster because we are loading pistol or revolver rounds by the hundreds at a time.

M-Tecs
08-09-2023, 11:31 PM
If anyone has full cans that they want to throw away I will gladly pay shipping. Better is relative. Would it be my first choice for case forming? No Imperial is my go-to for that application. For doing 223 and 308 on a progressive I haven't found anything that is "better" for my application. My Dillion 650's and 1050's run like Swiss watches when clean. They become unhappy when dirty or gummed up from the various different spray lubs that stay wet and or sticky.

My only issue is the stuff is getting expensive. I got a great deal on 3 cases awhile back. I am down to 4 or 5 cans.

ioon44
08-10-2023, 07:57 AM
I use Hornady One Shot on brass that has been wet tumbled and is squeaky clean this makes sizing a lot easier. I have used it for .223 cases but if I have hard to size .308 cases I go with Imperial case lube.

Rich/WIS
08-10-2023, 12:39 PM
Used both the spray can and squirt bottle types years ago and they worked as advertised. Finding them was sometimes an issue so went to the HEET/lanolin oil mix and have not bothered with One Shot since then.

Shawlerbrook
08-10-2023, 05:51 PM
Why not just use carbide dies when loading handgun rounds and eliminate the need for case lube ?

dannyd
08-10-2023, 06:06 PM
Why not just use carbide dies when loading handgun rounds and eliminate the need for case lube ?

I do use carbide dies to load handgun rounds, because of the way One Shot is applied (Spray) it helps with more than resizing. Helps with primer seating, flaring the case mouth with a automatic powder measure, seating the bullet and crimping.

Making everything on a progressive press run easier.

dearslayer
08-10-2023, 09:28 PM
Ok I'm trying to understand here so for those that say One Shot is trash I'd like to know why? I have zero experience with it and I haven't really had time to reload since I got the One Shot. Work always gets on the way of the fun stuff.

Rimfire McNutjob
08-12-2023, 11:25 AM
I don't like One Shot because I had a can seal fail and leak schmoo all over my shelf. I've moved on to BrassJuice in the spritz bottle.

JSnover
08-12-2023, 12:15 PM
Ok I'm trying to understand here so for those that say One Shot is trash I'd like to know why? I have zero experience with it and I haven't really had time to reload since I got the One Shot. Work always gets on the way of the fun stuff.

I don't know either. Since the early 90s I've never had a problem with it.

JSnover
08-12-2023, 12:19 PM
I don't like One Shot because I had a can seal fail and leak schmoo all over my shelf. I've moved on to BrassJuice in the spritz bottle.

I don't like spray cans much either. I really like PB'laster but three spray cans in a row went bad after a couple of weeks.

fourarmed
08-22-2023, 09:40 PM
Every time I've ever stuck a case in a die has been with Oneshot. Possibly I didn't wait long enough for it to dry, but with Dillon's pump spray lube there's no need to wait.

BucketBack
08-23-2023, 07:53 AM
Make your own case lube :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQn-8hMBHpI
Works like a charm!

I haven't tried that yet, but I was gifted some lanolin from a new Mom that wasn't needing it anymore.

I've been using castor oil with 90% alcohol, but I seem to have forgotten the ratio.

I've used my homemade case extractor while using Hornady One Stuck Case lube in the past.

Big Wes
08-25-2023, 07:07 AM
I also recommend dropping a couple glass marbles or whatever is handy in the spray bottle for mixing purposes .