PDA

View Full Version : Sand in the lead

RegCom7
02-11-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm new to casting, and I'm planning to smelt my first batch of wheelweights in the next week or so. I've been sorting through the wheelweights and getting rid of the zinc, and the other junk. Then I'm blowing off the dirty WW with compressed air, which gets rid of a lot of dirt. So I realize that all the grease, dirt, etc. will be skimmed off the top of the melt when I flux, but is it possible to get rid of all the sand and impurities? Is sand in the lead ingots anything to be concerned about?

TexRebel
02-11-2009, 07:14 PM
the sand will float to the top with the rest of the dross, just skim it well, and flux several times is how I clean it

Blammer
02-11-2009, 08:45 PM
bingo!

when you melt it, it will float to the top, skim it off, stir and flux, should be good to go.

mooman76
02-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Like the others said, it will float to the top! You will still have small amounts of impurities no matter what but nothing to worry about. If you over clean it you will be removing the tin and other metals you want in there too!

John Boy
02-11-2009, 09:11 PM
When I get a bucket of WW's, I have a magnet on the end of a stick. Goes in the bucket and anything that sticks goes in the pot - dirty or clean. This prevents the valve stems from getting in the pot and stinking up the backyard.

Keep the temperature of the melt at 650F which prevents the zinc ones 'anything that sticks' from melting. Zinc melts at 787F.

All the dross, including the sand floats to the top - skim off - flux good - pour in ingots and your done. There is no need to 'sanitize' what's in the bucket

RegCom7
02-11-2009, 09:27 PM
That's good to hear! Thanks for the info everyone! :-D