PDA

View Full Version : MIG welder decisions

abunaitoo
08-01-2023, 02:10 PM
I have an old, old, old Hobart Handler 120.
Got it new, and it's been working great, but I need a new liner.
It has a kink in it.
I tried straightening it, but wire still hangs up.
According to Holbert, liner is no longer made.
Only fix is a new replacement gun. $170
Probably be able to find a cheaper gun if I search around.
Since this welder is so old, I'm wondering if I should just get another new one.
I don't use it as much as before, and don't think I ever will anymore.
But like a firearm, "better to have one, and not need it, than to need one, and not have it"
Suggestions, comments, ridicule, all welcome.

Scrounge
08-01-2023, 02:22 PM
I have an old, old, old Hobart Handler 120.
Got it new, and it's been working great, but I need a new liner.
It has a kink in it.
I tried straightening it, but wire still hangs up.
According to Holbert, liner is no longer made.
Only fix is a new replacement gun. $170
Probably be able to find a cheaper gun if I search around.
Since this welder is so old, I'm wondering if I should just get another new one.
I don't use it as much as before, and don't think I ever will anymore.
But like a firearm, "better to have one, and not need it, than to need one, and not have it"
Suggestions, comments, ridicule, all welcome.

Since the liner is messed up anyway, pull it out, and take a measurement of the length, and then take a chunk of it any length you feel comfortable with, and find one that is a close match diameter, length, hole size, material, etc. Then reline it, and see if it works as well as it used to. Or ship it to me! ;)

This link might be a good place to look, as well: https://usaweld.com/collections/hobart_handler_120_htp_replacement

Bill

DougGuy
08-01-2023, 02:37 PM
Just get a replacement mig gun off ebay that will fit the Hobart. Very affordable and it will weld like a new one!

See if this one looks the same as yours where it goes into the machine. That's the part you want to match up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163916807706?hash=item262a33fe1a:g:kusAAOSwMvxexJU C&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4EDRYf66%2FOsgcaxmwgBtQi%2Bbp Y4QDuDKFPzXtx8OHDzg5FtRTBXn8uPkdNzOZom2N9%2BieX0rd 0zJGSVG4EaViyxr3k9pX1ibRcDIhpEYloVHx8EcN2ZSh%2Bvs8 QQRKSFafsGi81rBvjSyLbSNw9tyZVP3kqXQtzddZqNK2v6IrIw XTgTwpKJsoGuXH7YX4mF5k60afPWjS6%2BOp%2BtTtyCGIUrgz s7rOxlJl8u1%2BXM1HtMBTycVDr7HQcfB11GRNSSSs08itr5r1 fSZP%2F%2F6CINfHlZ54d5iSiyt8p7dmQDjebSN%7Ctkp%3ABk 9SR_Sluaa2Yg

I bet this flex head 10' gun will fit yours as well, i compared the connector where it goes into the machine and they are the same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303606226884?hash=item46b0575fc4:g:7-gAAOSwjDJe9VEb&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4C%2B7Q0wYncUcAygkPfALSgupLJI n88eSdziaBeD734RceEWJuwumGUh7kudqqiGv1zmoX0iMebKg4 zDIa0DAdQ2upaKmKkW3yCBqysKUl5pEwG4OMVzPCPjLsAHj6F8 %2BGTv%2FnjaP6YvNHgJ8zAVShwIs1pl345aaJ1SnauWMSb%2F ufN7gCfesQN9Sc8Y5Ws0Ln9xBogbr9qU3XXHsH9buW%2BVczxK 3e650jgs6MZg3Y7%2BriOo2nJRDlCWLcJmd1v1yWmWEMwHOXTz 7LutGSfV2FJAKVCNLeHsmkzPdDWq9s4rU%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_Sl uaa2Yg

Winger Ed.
08-01-2023, 05:25 PM
Look at the brass fitting on the end of it.

Look at pictures of replacement ones. You might be able to match them up, or find one you can reduce the diameter of and fit.
When cutting it to length, I've found a die grinder/cut off wheel to work the best.

Depending on how the brass end piece is pressed on, you may be able to get a liner the right diameter, and swap it.

DougGuy
08-01-2023, 09:35 PM
Look at the brass fitting on the end of it.

Look at pictures of replacement ones. You might be able to match them up, or find one you can reduce the diameter of and fit.
When cutting it to length, I've found a die grinder/cut off wheel to work the best.

Depending on how the brass end piece is pressed on, you may be able to get a liner the right diameter, and swap it.

My thought was if something pinched the whip hard enough to kink the liner, the jacket is probably leaking shielding gas if he is using any, and a new gun would be a practical repair plus a nice update for the welder. I always wanted a flex head mig gun, now you can get them for those little Hobart machines, the whole whip for less than $60.

Armorer77
08-01-2023, 09:50 PM
There are basically 2 MIG guns . The Hobart and the Miller , only the brass fittings are different . Lincoln makes liners for both . Ed

abunaitoo
08-02-2023, 12:47 PM
It seems this gun has been "discontinued".
They have a replacement that cost $170.
With a machine this old, I'm not sure spending almost half of what I paid for the machine new, would be worth it.
Difference with the liners is how it is held in.
Mines is held in with a tiny set screw.
New one is threaded in.
I'll play with it a little more, then decide what I'll do.

Armorer77
08-02-2023, 02:18 PM
That second gun should have been Tweeco .

Mk42gunner
08-02-2023, 03:43 PM
I had a Hobart Handler 140 given to me by my best friend. Great little welder. When its trigger got broken in a move, I didn't hunt around for a new gun/hose assembly.

The Lincoln I replaced it with isn't half the welder the little Hobart was.

My vote is to replace the liner assembly, since you are basically happy with the machine.

Robert

DougGuy
08-03-2023, 04:06 PM
It seems this gun has been "discontinued".

The two ebay links I posted in an earlier reply are for complete guns less than $54 shipped. We got one of those el cheapo ebay guns and replaced an aging well used gun and it's the bomb now with a new gun..

abunaitoo
08-04-2023, 04:57 AM
Second one looks like it might work.
I'll have to pull it out and check the measurements.