PDA

View Full Version : Still appreciate my Hollywood's

Digger
07-30-2023, 10:04 PM
Thank goodness I picked up a Hollywood senior a while back ..
It's been quite a while since I last processed all my 308 brass (quite a bit of once fired military) so I had to start again .
I have a small custom steel table that has a chain link pipe vise on one end , so I take that off of it's 3 bolt mount and set the senior in place to utilize the one hole in the rear .
With that , part of it hangs out off the edge but with the steel table and the thick senior build , wow! , solid as all get out.
Seeing as how I use a RCBS small base sizer , once in a while one takes a two handed effort pushing down on the handle even with lots of lube , What a beast !
My main press is a Lee classic cast four hole but that is sometimes questionable when it come to using a small base die.
Also have another Hollywood , forgot the description but it is the tall one with the three hole pivot top next to my Lee as I like to seat and crimp on it.
Feel a bit better for seating alignment using it.
Get comments from friends once it a while about them ..What are those ?....:bigsmyl2:

lightman
07-31-2023, 02:10 PM
They made some nice stuff!

Three44s
08-05-2023, 10:00 AM
I do not own any Hollywood equipment but I would be leery about using just one bolt and a partial support for a press, particularly a vintage press so coveted.

I build bases for most of my presses out of steel and use c-clamps to hold them on the wood topped work table. In designing them, I make every effort to get full support to the press as it contacts the custom base and use all the bolt holes. Repairing cast iron is not something I relish.

Just saying

Best regards

Three44s

GONRA
08-08-2023, 06:01 PM
GONRA s 2 olde olde HollyWoods. Industrutable! ! Last Forever! !!

John Wayne
09-25-2023, 08:20 PM
Digger, if that 3 hole turret press has the curve on the backside of the base, it was their first machine. There was also a straight backside that came along a little later. Both pretty valuable. Pics are from the net.
318305 318306

Digger
09-26-2023, 01:22 PM
Digger, if that 3 hole turret press has the curve on the backside of the base, it was their first machine. There was also a straight backside that came along a little later. Both pretty valuable. Pics are from the net.
318305 318306

Yep , the one with the curve is the one I use next to my Lee ...
I like the feel of the up swing for seating boolets.

John Wayne
09-26-2023, 02:02 PM
FYI. Those first Wasp Waist machines were built around 1935 as I recall.

greybuff
09-26-2023, 05:26 PM
I just picked up a Senior shorty and a Tallboy. Have benn using the shorty and absolutely love it. Waiting on the die bushing for my tallboy. Man did they build nice stuff......

John Wayne
10-01-2023, 09:49 AM
I just picked up a Senior shorty and a Tallboy. Have benn using the shorty and absolutely love it. Waiting on the die bushing for my tallboy. Man did they build nice stuff......

Yes, they built great stuff! A gentleman (Hollywood Rex), made a youtube video on a press he restored, referred to Hollywoods as "Luxurious Iron". Hollywood employed machinists from the aerospace industry and it shows. As a machinist myself, I will say, none of the other manufacturers come close to the tolerances Hollywood achieved. And they did it without the CNC machines we have today.

John Wayne
10-01-2023, 09:57 AM
The Super Turret. Measures 3' tall.

John Wayne
10-01-2023, 09:59 AM
And the Senior Turret set for 50 BMG

greybuff
10-04-2023, 10:50 PM
Today I picked up an early wasp waist model A and a third edition powder measure! Happy early 70th birthday.

John Wayne
10-05-2023, 07:15 PM
Lucky you and happy birthday!