PDA

View Full Version : A bit off topic but

skeet028
02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I have a Ceramic knife..nothing really great except it was a gift. How in the heck do you sharpen them?? Can they be sharpened? This thing has gotten pretty dull after a few years. Oh..BTW it is a thin Boker brand..nice thin pocket knife.

AZ-Stew
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
If you can sharpen it at all, I'd think you'd need a diamond sharpening stone. Ceramic is extremely hard and very brittle. I work in the computer chip industry. We used to use reject ceramic IC packages as sharpening stones for our metal pocket knives. They didn't wear to any noticable degree and they put a fine hone on the knives. Maybe an internet search will turn up something for you.

Regards,

Stew

Ricochet
02-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Knap it like a flint?

klutz347
02-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I have a ceramic kitchen knife that I use only to cut vegetables. Its amazing how a bunch of carrots or celery can dull a knife. I got the ceramic just so i wouldn't have to sharpen.

Anyway, after quite a few years it dulled and I called the manufacturer about how to sharpen it. They told me to send it in and they would have to do it. They said that there wasn't a way, using conventional sharpening supplies to sharpen it.

I sent it off to them and about 10 days later I got my knife back, sharpened, free of charge (less shipping to them).

Call, write or email the manufacturer and see if they would do it.

carpetman
02-11-2009, 07:17 PM
before ww2 houses were wired with whats known as knob and tube. Romex wire replaced that. Time was my dad (an electrician) had a large supply of knobs and tubes he had purchased shortly before they became obsolete. Im told the tubes make a good knife sharpener and would like to locate two of these. Anybody have any?

docone31
02-11-2009, 08:35 PM
If, you have a fixture, then, if you have a diamond lap, you can sharpen it. It needs to be wet, and no finer than 440. The serration is needed for cutting. Once you get to 880, the serration is microscopic.
Ceramic can be sharpened, but it has to be like stone polishing. Not softer stones like Turquoise, or Marble, but like Agot, Tourmaline, or any of the Beryls.

skeet028
02-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Wow..sounds to me like I just ought to send it to the manufacturer to sharpen. Thanks for all the answers guys.

DLCTEX
02-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Carpetman: I have one I took out of an old building this week. I may be able to find another, I'll look.

carpetman
02-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Dale you are showing your age that you know what they are. I'll send PM.

PatMarlin
02-12-2009, 12:46 AM
I got a few laying around somewhere. The first house I bought had the very first type of romex, that was only 2 conductor- or no ground. It had paper, with a cloth type of sheath the same shape as today's romex.

They would string solid steel wire from outlet box, to outlet box for a ground. Would rust and corrode, and was pretty lame but I bet it worked better than no ground.

That was such a nice house. Neighborhood went to hell in a basket.

Slowpoke
02-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Dale you are showing your age that you know what they are. I'll send PM.

I got several of them, when I helped restore the old AZ Children's home and the Old Geronimo hotel in Tucson, they do make a good sharpener about like a steel, if you have a ceramic coffee cup with the ridge on the bottom they work just as good.

good luck

nighthunter
02-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I pulled a bunch of those ceramic tubes out of the first house I bought years ago. They used to drill a hole thru the joists or studs then insert the tube to run the wire thru. That house taught me a lot. That project was just the rewireing part. The plumbing was a whole nother matter. I'd like to think that my father enjoyed giveing me those lessons while he was helping me. Time doesn't wait.

Nighthunter