PDA

View Full Version : Ideal/Lyman 311359 vs 311359

jdgabbard
07-29-2023, 12:42 PM
It’s not uncommon to see variations in mold designs. Just about every mold has seen some changes over the years. But this one really got me wondering.

What you see in the first two pictures are two 311359 boolits. The one on the left is what I believe to be a later Lyman mold which a member sent me some cast copies of 10yrs +\- ago. The one on the right is a Ideal single cavity mold without vent lines.

You’ll notice that the lubed variety is significantly longer. To the tune of adding approximately 7gr of weight. When looking at them side by side it appears the lubed version is identical but having a longer shank for the gascheck.

Is this pretty common? I’ve never seen a change this dramatic on what would otherwise be a pretty standard, and common, mold. Anyone have any explanation the the change here?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230729/7b4209640de7f5b5471415f779bc43b1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230729/ccec4318bc8738de2e4ac005d7b0aba5.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230729/926fa2fc3deb5bfdf7181f93fff72bc0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230729/9a4867eb008af2f79f845c57376925f6.jpg

Mk42gunner
07-29-2023, 02:23 PM
Other than the overall length, they look remarkably similar to me. That is not always the case with molds cut with different cherries by Lyman.

I would guess the cherry on the long one wasn't properly registered to the mold blocks when it was cut. IIRC those are supposed to weigh 120 grains.

Robert

Larry Gibson
07-29-2023, 02:29 PM
It would appear when the cavities were cut the cherry depth was simply too deep into the blocks which resulted in the longer shank. An error that was apparently not caught. Over the years I've had/used numerous 311359 moulds, single and double cavity, which all have cast very similar bullets. My final and last is a double cavity 311359U [the "U" designating it to cast undersized bullets]. The bullets cast of COWWs +2% tin drop at .310 which is perfect for my M1 Carbine which i size the bullets to .309.

jdgabbard
07-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Other than the overall length, they look remarkably similar to me. That is not always the case with molds cut with different cherries by Lyman.

I would guess the cherry on the long one wasn't properly registered to the mold blocks when it was cut. IIRC those are supposed to weigh 120 grains.

Robert

I agree, they are very similar for being cut at different times by different cherries - at least that is what I believe. And you're right, they're supposed to be 120ish grains.

It would appear when the cavities were cut the cherry depth was simply too deep into the blocks which resulted in the longer shank. An error that was apparently not caught. Over the years I've had/used numerous 311359 moulds, single and double cavity, which all have cast very similar bullets. My final and last is a double cavity 311359U [the "U" designating it to cast undersized bullets]. The bullets cast of COWWs +2% tin drop at .310 which is perfect for my M1 Carbine which i size the bullets to .309.

You think that's all there is too it? Nothing intentional, simply an overlooked QA issue? Maybe the new guy was running the machine that day? I'm not really complaining, as the little extra weight seems like it would be nice in some applications. It was just so different I noticed it while sitting at the bench.

Larry Gibson
07-29-2023, 08:27 PM
I agree, they are very similar for being cut at different times by different cherries - at least that is what I believe. And you're right, they're supposed to be 120ish grains.

You think that's all there is too it? Nothing intentional, simply an overlooked QA issue? Maybe the new guy was running the machine that day? I'm not really complaining, as the little extra weight seems like it would be nice in some applications. It was just so different I noticed it while sitting at the bench.

I thin it is very probable that is all there is to it. Look at the bullets, the only real difference is the length of the GC shank. That length alone is unusual for any Ideal/Lyman bullet.