PDA

View Full Version : Cataract Options

dverna
07-28-2023, 01:52 PM
I have been offered three options:

"Regular" replacement at zero cost.

Toric lenses for $3000. These will correct for astigmatism...which I have. but I will need reading glasses.

Last option is $5000 and is 80% effective at correcting for both far and close focusing as well as astigmatism, But it will cause a "halo" effect with bright lights and with headlights at night.

The first two options are 99% successful.

The doctor told me most folks go with the cheap option but my astigmatism is bad, and I am leaning towards option 2.

What has been your experience with this procedure?

nvbirdman
07-28-2023, 02:40 PM
I went for an upgrade since I could easily afford it. Is it worth the extra money? I have no idea, as I have nothing to compare it to, but I hope to be around for another twenty years so I divided the upgrade cost by twenty and it was very reasonable.

Dave H
07-28-2023, 02:53 PM
I just a month ago had the left and right eyes done, I couldn't get the corrective lenses my right eye had so much iron in the eye the surgeon said no. But I went from 20-40 to 20-20 in the left and went from 20-60- to 20-30 in the right eye have to use readers to read, the colors are brighter, and I now use sunglasses when I'm outside.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-28-2023, 02:58 PM
Given the choices, the way you present them here, I'd go with #2. My personal experience is that I had both eyes done about 13 years ago. The eye surgeon was surprised that I still had a driver license! After the operation I could see very well, needed no eyeglasses at all. But after about 10 years I started noticing that my vision was changing again, getting impossible to read some small print, now some larger print, and some astigmatism in one eye. So, I'm about to make an appointment for eyeglasses. Even not too long after the operation I found driving at night to be a scary experience, especially oncoming bright headlights. I think it's different for different people, and doubt if there's any hard and fast guarantee no matter which way you go. Getting rid of the astigmatism (for how long, who knows?) sounds good, and having to use reading glasses isn't such a burden. What percentage of your life do you spend reading or repairing clocks? Option #3 might not be bad, as you can give up driving at night, which I pretty much have done, but can they guarantee the other two favorable results? So, #2 seems best to me-- but if you go with #2 and it's not 100% satisfactory please don't sue me!

DG

farmerjim
07-28-2023, 03:00 PM
On medicare with supplemental:
I had my right eye corrected to 20/20 including astigmatism.
I had (as requested) my left eye corrected to 20/35.
I see far with my right eye and can read fairly close with my left.
There was no out of pocket cost to me.
My brain chooses the correct eye for me, and I do have good depth perception with this.
This does not work for everybody. I knew it would work for me because I tried a contact lens in one eye and it worked fine.
As I look at my screen as I type, everything is in focus. If I close my left eye ,it is blurry.
I would check with another doctor on the price for the total correction.
My eye doctor told me (just before he took my bad cataract lens out) that for $500.00 more he could guarantee 20/20 with a new piece of equipment they had gotten in the last month. I said no and got it anyway. I think your doctor is too expensive.

I do have glasses that give me 20/20 in both eyes when driving long distances at night. ($ 9.00 from zenni optical on line ) I rarely use them.

BLAHUT
07-28-2023, 04:36 PM
I had both eyes done a while ago, doctor suggested to stay away from #2 and #3, very high cost and I would not be happy with them, he said to just get drugstore cheaters for reading, bright lights and low light take some getting used to, new lens's are so much clearer. I would go with what your doctor recommends..

HWooldridge
07-28-2023, 04:38 PM
I also have astigmatism and went with "regular" replacement because I couldn't afford the upgrade at the time. I was previously very nearsighted (-15), so the doctor corrected me to about 20/70 and that's good enough to drive in the daytime and do most things related to my work. I wear glasses to drive at night or to shoot open sights but I'm good with bare eyes on scopes.

My astigmatism doesn't bother me much and only becomes apparent when I'm tired or have been reading for a long period of time.

If I were to do it again today, I'd probably get the Toric glasses and put up with the reading glasses.

Whole Bunches
07-28-2023, 04:58 PM
I had the "regular" implants done. Vision for distance was 20-20, but has slowly went to about 20-30 over months following surgery. I too had/have astigmatism, but is was slightly improved following surgery. I have to use glasses for reading.

So, here's what I did: Went to Walmart and bought the cheapest reading glasses they had in 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 up to 3.0 at about $9 a pair. Took a known accurate (before surgery) pistol, open sight rifle, peep sight rifle, scoped rifle and various red dot type sights to the range and experimented. At 1.5, the open sight pistol shot the best. Any less power and the pistol sights were too blurry. Any higher power and the pistol sights were sharper, but the target was so blurry as to be hard to see.

Red dots still had the "cluster of grapes" look with no glasses, but with 1.0 reading glasses the dot was perfectly sharp and shot great! I'd never know before that the Eotech reticles were actually sharp.

Here's my chart/results:

EYE GLASSES

0 RIFLE SCOPES
DISTANCE VISION
VORTEX SPITFIRE 1X & 3X

1 RIFLES WITH PEEP OR OPEN SIGHTS
ACOG REFLEX
EOTECH
AIMPOINT RED DOT
PA 2.5X REFLEX
MILLET RED DOT

1.25 DRIVING BIFOCAL TO MAKE DASHBOARD SHARP

1.5 OPEN SIGHT PISTOLS

2.5 DESKTOP COMPUTER

3.0 READING
IPAD
DETAIL WORK

Notes: "0" = no glasses (other than safety) are needed. For 1.25 and 3.0 I buy cheap bifocal glasses via Internet. Bottom part has the magnification for reading or seeing the car instrument panel and top part is simply clear (or tinted for sun) no magnification for distance viewing. I got used to using the bifocals in a few minutes. Generally the cost of them is $15-$20.

For my shooting friends in my age group, after them having had cataract surgery, I'd bring an assortment of reading glasses to the range for them to try out and see what worked the best for them so they knew what to buy if any. Every person in my group of 4 got different results from everyone else. Even the I hate red dots cause they aren't sharp (2 persons) got sharper/useable red dot vision with the aid of low power reading glasses.

In the case of regular magnification scoped rifles that had been sighted in, everyone needed 1-2 clicks to get back to being sighted in. Everyone needed the scope refocused for sharp crosshairs.

This is certainly a case of YMMV.

Carrier
07-28-2023, 05:04 PM
I had a $4000.00 multi focal lens put in my right eye and wish I would never had done it. I was stupid to believe that it would be just like my natural one. Then I find out afterwards that it has three focal points which do work but there is a whole lot of distance between them that is not so good.

dverna
07-28-2023, 06:14 PM
Thank you very much for the responses so far.

I had a few minutes to decide this morning and went with option 2, but they told me I could change my mind after thinking about it. Thus, my post. I figured a lot of people here are on the downside of 60 and have faced this already. What better resource than other shooters who have no horse in the race.

When I asked the surgeon what option he would choose he said option 1 because he does not have astigmatism. With my issue, option 2 was his recommendation. He said the third (best?) option was great when it worked but many people regret it as results are mixed.

nvbirdman, I went through the same thought process. I will be 73 soon and figured $3000 over the next 15 or twenty years is not a deal killer. Heck, I have $400+ scopes that rarely get used to play and hunt with. Eyes get used every waking minute.

Whole Bunches, smart approach!!! Makes a lot of sense.

farmerjim, you have a unique approach that is appealing. I cannot do contact lenses or I would try it. Your Zenni optical recommendation is bookmarked.

Idz
07-28-2023, 06:20 PM
I got single focus because ophthalmologist and optometrist relatives tell me the multifocus options have problems with night vision and don't correct as well as the single vision. Their words were the multifocus lenses "aren't quite there yet".

Rapier
07-28-2023, 06:30 PM
I went with 4' focus and single lenses glasses for distance. I used a computer monitor for 12 or more hours a day in business. I take my glasses off to read or do this. I have 20/20 and 20/30 vision at distance with dispersion, astigmatism and torn retinas in both eyes, the right eye is laser repaired.
I would ask about a single distance lenses setup with some correction for the diagonal, like the #2 option. I would wear glasses for the non corrected distance. They try to sell you on all manner of combinations, I figured for me to just keep it simple. It can get complicated to go find my glasses when I lay them down.

huntinlever
07-28-2023, 06:32 PM
I had the "regular" implants done. Vision for distance was 20-20, but has slowly went to about 20-30 over months following surgery. I too had/have astigmatism, but is was slightly improved following surgery. I have to use glasses for reading.

So, here's what I did: Went to Walmart and bought the cheapest reading glasses they had in 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 up to 3.0 at about $9 a pair. Took a known accurate (before surgery) pistol, open sight rifle, peep sight rifle, scoped rifle and various red dot type sights to the range and experimented. At 1.5, the open sight pistol shot the best. Any less power and the pistol sights were too blurry. Any higher power and the pistol sights were sharper, but the target was so blurry as to be hard to see.

Red dots still had the "cluster of grapes" look with no glasses, but with 1.0 reading glasses the dot was perfectly sharp and shot great! I'd never know before that the Eotech reticles were actually sharp.

Here's my chart/results:

EYE GLASSES

0 RIFLE SCOPES
DISTANCE VISION
VORTEX SPITFIRE 1X & 3X

1 RIFLES WITH PEEP OR OPEN SIGHTS
ACOG REFLEX
EOTECH
AIMPOINT RED DOT
PA 2.5X REFLEX
MILLET RED DOT

1.25 DRIVING BIFOCAL TO MAKE DASHBOARD SHARP

1.5 OPEN SIGHT PISTOLS

2.5 DESKTOP COMPUTER

3.0 READING
IPAD
DETAIL WORK

Notes: "0" = no glasses (other than safety) are needed. For 1.25 and 3.0 I buy cheap bifocal glasses via Internet. Bottom part has the magnification for reading or seeing the car instrument panel and top part is simply clear (or tinted for sun) no magnification for distance viewing. I got used to using the bifocals in a few minutes. Generally the cost of them is $15-$20.

For my shooting friends in my age group, after them having had cataract surgery, I'd bring an assortment of reading glasses to the range for them to try out and see what worked the best for them so they knew what to buy if any. Every person in my group of 4 got different results from everyone else. Even the I hate red dots cause they aren't sharp (2 persons) got sharper/useable red dot vision with the aid of low power reading glasses.

In the case of regular magnification scoped rifles that had been sighted in, everyone needed 1-2 clicks to get back to being sighted in. Everyone needed the scope refocused for sharp crosshairs.

This is certainly a case of YMMV.

This was my experience and I'd never have guessed. 1.5X gave me the ability to shoot my son's Skinner-peeped 336 at 50 with good groups, whereas before, forget it. Don, sorry to hear that. I'm not where you are, though I think the time is coming. Can't offer any opinion, but good wishes for a good result.

.429&H110
07-28-2023, 06:53 PM
I lost my night vision at 58
I had both eyes changed out
(fun weekend in Anchorage)
nobody told me about the options.
Oh, well...

On a rainy night driving now
I have a pair of yellow sunglasses that cut glare just fine.
Especially those foul blue high beam bozos...

I wore thick glasses all my life, nearsighted as McGoo
now I'm 20/20
when the second patch came off I said Wow!
When can I start shooting?

This eye doctor that flew into Anchorage from Seattle wanted to know
Who are you going to shoot?
Wife laughed and laughed said "Bears"

Sight picture, depth perception, rainproof just wow!
Then I had to have holes laser burned in the back of the lens pockets
because the pockets were going opaque, too.
Now we're on the gong at 100 yds with Keith boolits! just wow!

let me remind you
wear your safety glasses!
I am told that implanted lenses cannot be repaired.

.429&H110
07-28-2023, 07:20 PM
DIY cataract test:

In a darkened room, shine a small flashlight at your ear.
You are lighting up your lens sideways.
If the lens is cloudy, all you will see is white.
When you meet traffic at night, oh oh.
You are sidelighting your left eye at 75 mph...

Try this on an old dog, for a wonder they can see at all.

Dusty Bannister
07-28-2023, 07:42 PM
I had both eyes done in 2017 and would have been in my early 70's. Just the less expensive lens for both eyes. No problems, but I find one eye a little weaker than the other. It was suggested that I see if just cheap readers would be a help. I actually have two different sets that are used. Normal driving and reading and computer do not require readers in good light. Subdued light or reading the cell phone screen or fine print, the readers are appreciated. For sorting head stamps on brass cases, a stronger lens is preferred. I am very pleased at the results, but have nothing to compare with.

Outpost75
07-28-2023, 09:27 PM
I had both eyes done, ten years apart. Right eye was done using the traditional surgical procedure using a single-focus AcrySof foldable IOL Model SN60AT of power 21.5D having a Theta T of 13mm and Theta B of 6mm, installed when I was 60. This optimized distance vision so I could read the number boards on the range at 600 yards and not cross-fire.

Left eye was done at age 70. It was another single focus foldable IOL from Alcon Labs, Model SN60WF of power 21.0D having Theta T of 13mm and Theta B of 6mm, this time using the laser assisted surgical procedure. I can see iron sights on my carry gun sharp without corrective lenses and also the front sight on my Garand. I can read the Wall Street Journal in good light without reading glasses. My shooting glasses require no correction, only UV coating. I wear progressive lenses which provide some distance correction and some correction for very close work shorter than 1 foot for reading micrometers, etc. No halo effect in night driving although I do have amber lens night driving glasses and my everday glasses are Transitions which darken in full sunlght.

It is normal after 4-5 years for some scar tissue to develop where the IOL was inserted. Correcting this is a simple laser procedure which is done in doctor's office, which sharpens everying up like stopping down a camera from f8 to f16 increasing depth of field. I am 75 and can see iron sights like when I was 20. I have no corrective lens restriction on my driver's license, but I do not fly anymore.

MrWolf
07-28-2023, 09:37 PM
I had the "regular " laser eye surgery done over 20 years ago. I am commenting on the halo aspect. I was told I would have them no if and or butts. No regrets at all. It is kind of annoying but something you got used to and worked around. Best of luck with your decision.
Ron

Hogtamer
07-28-2023, 10:01 PM
My experience matches Whole Bunches exactly, except I use 2.5 cheap readers. Got some 1.5x shooting glasses and as he stated open sights work again and red dots are just that, not a triangle. May have lost a tad bit of peripheral vision but night driving doesn’t bother me anymore, my primary reason for surgery from the start.

rockshooter
07-28-2023, 11:23 PM
I am happy with #1. I found that reflex sights work fine where red dots don't work at all. I am able to use receiver sights with no issues.
Loren

10x
07-29-2023, 05:39 AM
Given the choices, the way you present them here, I'd go with #2. My personal experience is that I had both eyes done about 13 years ago. The eye surgeon was surprised that I still had a driver license! After the operation I could see very well, needed no eyeglasses at all. But after about 10 years I started noticing that my vision was changing again, getting impossible to read some small print, now some larger print, and some astigmatism in one eye. So, I'm about to make an appointment for eyeglasses. Even not too long after the operation I found driving at night to be a scary experience, especially oncoming bright headlights. I think it's different for different people, and doubt if there's any hard and fast guarantee no matter which way you go. Getting rid of the astigmatism (for how long, who knows?) sounds good, and having to use reading glasses isn't such a burden. What percentage of your life do you spend reading or repairing clocks? Option #3 might not be bad, as you can give up driving at night, which I pretty much have done, but can they guarantee the other two favorable results? So, #2 seems best to me-- but if you go with #2 and it's not 100% satisfactory please don't sue me!

DG
Get your eyes checked for secondary cataracts in the lens capsule.
If you have trouble at night with headlights i will bet that a simple laser surgery will fix this.
Option 3, paying $5000 for possible night vision troubles? Not worth it. Reading glasses are inexpensive.
And the ability to drive safely at night is priceless.

JoeJames
07-29-2023, 09:39 AM
Get your eyes checked for secondary cataracts in the lens capsule.
If you have trouble at night with headlights i will bet that a simple laser surgery will fix this.
Option 3, paying $5000 for possible night vision troubles? Not worth it. Reading glasses are inexpensive.
And the ability to drive safely at night is priceless.I had my right eye done about 18 years ago. My astigmatism was too bad for the foldable lens at that time. Only reason I am posting this is because none of them explained about the secondary cataract problem. I thought I was going to need a new lens, but found out about the laser treatment of the lens capsule - simple in house visit.

I asked why no one had told me about that. They said it was so rare that most do not have that problem. I think it was because they did not want to mention that drawback. Two of my buddies though; have also had to have it done.

76 WARLOCK
07-29-2023, 10:42 AM
Mine corrected the astigmatism very well.

blackthorn
07-29-2023, 12:02 PM
Had both eyes done 6 weeks apart a year and a half ago. First couple of days crystal clear sight in both eyes, but a few days after I had the second one done I got a small blurry spot in the upper right eye. When I look at a line on an eye test chart, the last 2 letters of the line are blurred to the point I cannot read them. If I refocus by moving my point of vision slightly to the right I can then see the letters just fine. This interferes with using open sights (scope is OK) and the doctor cannot seem to explain why this happened. I am an avid reader and after an extended session, I sometimes get a "headache" type pain in the affected eye. I have to go back to him in December but since nothing has changed I suspect I am stuck with this. I had the cheapest option and still use reading glasses. I use the same prescription glasses I have had for the last 20+ years. My distance vision is excellent. I have never had any problem with night driving. I am 84 years old.

popper
07-29-2023, 12:59 PM
Had both done couple yrs back, have astigmatisms ( plus a growth problem on cornia) fixed almost all of it with the torics. Cornia got scraped first and will need to be done again before next DL test. By then I might not be able to drive anymore anyway.

panhed65
07-29-2023, 07:17 PM
I had both eyes done maybe 12-14 years ago. the options they gave me were either good distance vision or good close up vision. I chose distance vision cause I use it much more. I am now 74, and my vision has barely changed since then. nice to not wear glasses anymore. is not quite 20/20. do have glasses for 20/20, only use them on deer stands. never did need anything for reading. still don't except in poor light, or very fine stuff. best thing I ever did.one friend my age had one eye done about a year ago, and nothing but trouble since.
Barry

1eyedjack
07-29-2023, 08:41 PM
Basic cataract lens for me but stroke to optic nerve left me blind in right eye before cataract surgery was needed in left eye. when younger had Lasix procedure on both eyes left for reading right for distance now wear corrective lenses, shooting left hand with long guns, red dots preferred with handguns . Protect what you have and be sure your eye care professionals will have YOUR eye care foremost and their profit secondary . Don't be afraid to seek multiple opinions as most procedures when done are done

deces
07-29-2023, 11:51 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe the astigmatism can be treated separately. More money!

beemer
07-30-2023, 08:38 AM
I am 71, had both eyes done three years ago with the regular lens because of the cost. I have some slight astigmatism in my left eye. Because of that I am 20/20 in my right eye and a little less in the left. I have a set of prescription glasses with bifocals to correct it but don't wear them much. I do have one set of prescription safety glasses to shoot with, please use something. I have reading glasses all over the house, wife fusses but not much.

I can shoot open sights on my mil-surps fine but am having trouble with front handgun sights. I bought some low powered reading glasses to play around with but haven't tried them yet.

My cataracts had got bad, doc said he had done all he could without surgery, It was hard to drive at night. I have been more than pleased with the results. Looks like someone turned the light on. I did develop the secondary cataracts in both eyes but a ten minute procedure at the doctors office I was good. Things had started looking a little milky with some glare.

With your astigmatism having it corrected would be a nice option. Sometimes things like this sneak up on us. We realize how bad it was after it is fixed, you will probably be surprised. Hope you do well and we are all looking forward to the results.

Duckiller
08-01-2023, 02:00 AM
About 15 years ago as I was leaving work a wind blow a small particle of dust into my right eye. Drove home blinking all the way. tried several things that didn't work to clear eye. Son took me to Urgent Care that evening. Dr was a miracle worker. He touched me and the dirt went away. While he was at it he checked my vision. I could just barely read the big E on the chart with my right eye. Soon threre after I visited my Ophthalmologist and explained that I had trouble seeing 25 yd rapid fire target at any distance. He replaced a cataract with a distance vision lens . I had been nearsighted since the 8th grade. For the next five years or so I read with my left eye and drove with my right eye. It was automatic. I didn't have to think about it. Eventually I had to have a cataract in left I fixed. Now at 80 I am farsighted and need reading glasses. At the time of my left eye operation Dr would not give me near vision in my left eye. He did give me lenses that protect my eyes from bright sunlight. In theory I don't need sunglasses. In bright sun I do wear poloroid sun glasses and it does feel much better. Get your cataracts taken care of so you can see. Reading glasses are no big deal and it is nice to be able to see far away things without glasses. At my age I hunt with scopes. Without glasses ducks fall.

35isit
08-01-2023, 08:33 PM
I had the simple distance vision surgery about five years ago. Only need reading glasses for up close. Still can't see open sights like I want to.

gc45
08-01-2023, 10:51 PM
I had both lenses replaced because of very, very poor eyesight from birth, simple deal. Afterward I had astig surgery, again very simple. same doctor for both. 20-20 and 20-25. He told me the lenses would last for my lifetime but I would need readers for closeup. Also that astig would at some point return but not near as bad. Many years with perfect sight but now some astig returning and have again purchased glasses but seldom need them. I feel better with the glasses if driving at night which I seldom do any more. I have trouble seeing open sites as clearly as I'd like but have learned to shoot long ago regardless and quite well. Being an old man now I am delighted still with my decision, I see very well and have ever since the implants.

fivegunner
08-02-2023, 07:54 AM
First week in January I had My eyes done , I spent 7,000 just for the Lens Medicare And Insurance paid the rest , I went with LAL lens ( light adjusted Lens) took 3 months to to get it done Had to go twice a week for eye test and adjusted. I now have 20/20 vision , No glasses and no astigmatism. I`ll report next year if it was worth the cost. I wanted to see like SuperMan But I guess It is what it is.

firefly1957
08-05-2023, 08:52 AM
About 2000 just over 70 years old my father had both eyes done he said they did one eye far sighted and one near sighted and he no longer wore eye glasses .

One thing did change since I was young if we shot open sights he would have a different point of impact then I would with the same gun rifle or pistol . after surgery he had to re-sight his guns them we both had same settings . I am 66 now and have a small cataract the eye doctor is monitoring so far no issues I do miss my younger eyes and being able to focus iron sights well .

Ed K
08-06-2023, 07:41 AM
I am 62 and my doc keeps telling me for several years now I need cataract surgery. Besides needing 1.5x reading glasses I'm close to 20-20 for most other purposes. Good to know my vision can be improved at some point when it really degrades however not in any rush.

08-06-2023, 07:58 AM
I'm 70 & had both eyes done with the expensive choice. I can see up close and far away just fine. I'm back to open sights. No complaints. Is it the 20 -15 vision of my youth? Probably not, but I can't tell a difference.

quilbilly
08-07-2023, 02:30 PM
I want to thank you all for your responses to his questions. My optometrist just a couple weeks ago that I should check with a doctor about cataracts this winter.