PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting - Diamond Edge 320 v. Bear Divergent

huntinlever
07-27-2023, 06:20 PM
Alright guys, I know this is a firearms site but still, starting to think seriously about bowhunting again. I've narrowed a compound bow choice down to 2 sub-$500 bows. Bear Divergent v. the Diamond Edge 320.

For what it's worth, I've got a 31" draw length and steady and careful training has returned some strength to me after a lot of years off, though it can be a bit dicey with a weird neuro issue. Anyway, not afraid to draw as heavy as needed for 30-40 yards or so, at least I think so. Not interested in longer shots or in hyper velocities.

The Divergent lists itself as "designed for the whitetail hunter," not sure what makes it so, but who knows? Want to western hunt with my son and anything I can do to get in as early and as late in the year....

Thoughts between the two? While we're here, any ideas on accessories (i.e., stabilizers, rests, sights, releases, even arrows and hunting heads) that are decent but won't break the bank would be appreciated as well.

M-Tecs
07-27-2023, 07:26 PM
Not comparing the specifics of the bow but something to think about. The Diamond line is Bowtech. Most pro-shop will service and warranty them. The Bear line tends to be mostly box store and online. Lots of pro-shops tell you to take them to where you purchased it for warranty or service unless is a string and cable change. Most box stores are clueless when it comes to tuning, setting up or repairing a bow.

The Edge goes to 31". The bear goes to 30".

huntinlever
07-27-2023, 09:02 PM
Not comparing the specifics of the bow but something to think about. The Diamond line is Bowtech. Most pro-shop will service and warranty them. The Bear line tends to be mostly box store and online. Lots of pro-shops tell you to take them to where you purchased it for warranty or service unless is a string and cable change. Most box stores are clueless when it comes to tuning, setting up or repairing a bow.

The Edge goes to 31". The bear goes to 30".

Thanks, good points. Just called my gunsmith's place today and they've a great archery dept., real pros who can dial in everything. Thanks, too, on the Bear - don't know why I thought it went up to 31". That eliminates that one.

sigep1764
07-28-2023, 01:24 AM
I have an Edge 320 and an SB-1, both Diamonds. Super easy to tune, they go from 7 lbs to 70 lbs. 31 inch max draw, mine are set at 28. Stock strings lasted about 5000 shots each at 70 lbs. don’t need a bow press to change drawnlengths or poundage, just a set of Allen wrenches. They also come ready to hunt with sights, quivers, whisker biscuits, peep, and d loop. They have been an excellent value and very durable. The stock sight is ok, I changed both mine out after a few months for Tropy Ridge’s Digital React Pro single pin sights. Only drawback for Diamond is resale value. They do not hold value like Mathew’s or Elite. I would buy them again tho.

Shopdog
07-28-2023, 06:39 AM
The Bear "EKO" cams are an,understandable copy of PSE EVO cams..... and as such,are extremely smooth and well behaved. And also like EVO's,bely the bows weight very well.

Unlike the PSE,the Bears are not quite so finicky to tune....

Overall build quality on the Bear isn't up to a top of the line bow but... they don't cost as much either. Which,is IMO a very logical way to choose a compound. If you "need" premium,you'll be money ahead in the long run to "buy" vs build... if that makes sense.

*note... not all Divergent's have EKO cam.

Shawlerbrook
07-28-2023, 06:43 AM
My wife shoots a Bowtech Infinity Edge and they are great bows for the money.

huntinlever
07-28-2023, 11:04 AM
My wife shoots a Bowtech Infinity Edge and they are great bows for the money.

Thanks, looks like a great value. The 320 is significantly more expensive - any idea why? Is it just the cam system and the reported increase in velocity on the 320?

huntinlever
07-28-2023, 11:05 AM
I have an Edge 320 and an SB-1, both Diamonds. Super easy to tune, they go from 7 lbs to 70 lbs. 31 inch max draw, mine are set at 28. Stock strings lasted about 5000 shots each at 70 lbs. don’t need a bow press to change drawnlengths or poundage, just a set of Allen wrenches. They also come ready to hunt with sights, quivers, whisker biscuits, peep, and d loop. They have been an excellent value and very durable. The stock sight is ok, I changed both mine out after a few months for Tropy Ridge’s Digital React Pro single pin sights. Only drawback for Diamond is resale value. They do not hold value like Mathew’s or Elite. I would buy them again tho.

Thanks. That helps decide, think I'll be getting the Diamond.

huntinlever
07-28-2023, 11:06 AM
The Bear "EKO" cams are an,understandable copy of PSE EVO cams..... and as such,are extremely smooth and well behaved. And also like EVO's,bely the bows weight very well.

Unlike the PSE,the Bears are not quite so finicky to tune....

Overall build quality on the Bear isn't up to a top of the line bow but... they don't cost as much either. Which,is IMO a very logical way to choose a compound. If you "need" premium,you'll be money ahead in the long run to "buy" vs build... if that makes sense.

*note... not all Divergent's have EKO cam.

Thanks for the input, still learning cams etc. Any thoughts on the Bear v. the Diamond, dollar spent/value received?