PDA

View Full Version : Receiver sight for hunting and silhouette?

Jtarm
07-27-2023, 05:21 PM
Recently acquired a 1967 Winchester 94 .30-30.

Both the lever guns and .30-30 are new to me, so lots of questions.

I can see (or not see) the factory buckhorn is gonna be near useless for my old eyes unless it’s a bright day shooting against a light background.

Is there a consensus around the best receiver sight for silhouette?

Thanks!

M-Tecs
07-27-2023, 05:31 PM
Redfield 70ET or a steel older Lyman 48/57. The newer Lyman aluminum sights don't come close to the older steel body sights for target usage. On the Redfield's the T or H stands for target knobs or hunting non-target knobs.

https://nassasilhouette.org/about-us/competition-basics/lever-action-rifle/

This article states Redfield 75 I think the correct model is 70EH.

ShooterAZ
07-27-2023, 06:15 PM
M-Tecs gives excellent recommendations above. I don't shoot silhouette with M-94, but I do hunt with it often. I chose the Williams "Fool Proof" receiver sight and Firesight front sight. It's a vast improvement over the buckhorn sights. My M94 is an angle eject, which made mounting the Williams sight a snap. You can also get various apertures for them.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/5dwinchester-94seranger-firesight-set-070862

veeman
07-27-2023, 06:43 PM
Try a Marbles Bullseye peep, only 10 bucks at Midway. I think they are great, I am putting them on most of my leverguns.

M-Tecs
07-27-2023, 06:53 PM
Adjustable sights with target knobs are beneficial.

https://nassasilhouette.org/about-us/competition-basics/

Cowboy Lever Action (Rifle Cartridge) – A sanctioned match consists of 40, 60, 80 or 120 rounds fired in the standing position on Full Size Highpower Rifle Silhouette Targets. Firing period includes a longer 30 second ready (loading) period and a shorter 2 minutes for each 5 shot bank of animals. Below is an example of the minimum 40-shot course of fire:

Ten Gallina (chicken) targets at 50 meters (or yards).
Ten Javelina (pig) targets at 100 meters (or yards).
Ten Guajalote (turkey) targets at 150 meters (or yards).
Ten Borrego (rams) targets at 200 meters (or yards)

high standard 40
07-27-2023, 08:01 PM
I host two Cowboy Rifle silhouette matches a month. The almost exclusively used rear sight is the Williams Foolproof. Front is usually a fiber optic bead in a hooded base. This combination should also work fine in the woods after game.

Shawlerbrook
07-28-2023, 06:47 AM
Can’t beat the old steel Redfields and Lymans if you can find one. Skinner sights are bulletproof, but the Williams work well. With a peep or aperture sight, the closer the rear sight is to your eyes, the more user friendly. For hunting a large aperture or ghost ring works better, especially in low light.

Jtarm
07-28-2023, 12:44 PM
I host two Cowboy Rifle silhouette matches a month. The almost exclusively used rear sight is the Williams Foolproof. Front is usually a fiber optic bead in a hooded base. This combination should also work fine in the woods after game.

Thanks.

I researched M-Tecs suggestions. While I’d love to find one from that “golden era” of receiver sights, that looks like a big investment of time to find one and $$$ if I do.

high standard 40
07-28-2023, 12:58 PM
Thanks.

I researched M-Tecs suggestions. While I’d love to find one from that “golden era” of receiver sights, that looks like a big investment of time to find one and $$$ if I do.

There is an aperture available for the Fool Proof that is adjustable for aperture size, an easy turn of a lever. This would allow you to use a larger size for hunting in low light and easily revert to a smaller size for silhouette.

Texas by God
07-28-2023, 04:05 PM
There’s a Redfield 70PT reciever sight on the Bay right now for $60 +$15 shipping….
There’s another or two on there for $100 plus.
I sure like the Redfield sights that I have on my 94 and my Krag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
07-28-2023, 04:15 PM
There’s a Redfield 70PT reciever sight on the Bay right now for $60 +$15 shipping….

The Redfield 70PT reciever sight on the Bay right now for $60 +$15 shipping is miss marked. It has a radiused base. Ones for 94's will be flat. If it was for a 94 I would have purchased it yesterday.

1Hawkeye
07-28-2023, 05:00 PM
If you go with the williams foolproof TK (target knobs) it will still be period correct for a late 1960's model 94.

Texas by God
07-28-2023, 08:00 PM
The Redfield 70PT reciever sight on the Bay right now for $60 +$15 shipping is miss marked. It has a radiused base. Ones for 94's will be flat. If it was for a 94 I would have purchased it yesterday.

The one I’m referring to has a flat base with a slight radius at top to match the bevel on the 94.
I did see a mislabeled one with a curved base for $99 though.

M-Tecs
07-28-2023, 08:05 PM
The one I’m referring to has a flat base with a slight radius at top to match the bevel on the 94.
I did see a mislabeled one with a curved base for $99 though.

Please PM me the link. I can't find it. The one I am looking at is not for a 94. I do need a couple more for 92's and 94's. I have a bunch of spare target knobs and a milling machine so I did purchase the mismarked "Redfield 70PT receiver sight on the Bay right now for $60 +$15 shipping." It was cheap enough. I should be able to modify it to fit.

Texas by God
07-29-2023, 12:54 AM
I’m sorry, I just saw your post.
I went back to it, it says No Longer Available.
I’d just searched Redfield reciever sights when I saw it earlier. About halfway down the list.

M-Tecs
07-29-2023, 01:04 AM
No problem thanks

Jtarm
07-29-2023, 11:38 AM

Yeah I saw it.

I don’t know a lot about receiver sights, but that one looks pretty clearly like it fits a rounded receiver.

I compared it to pics of others for the 94, which are flat where they mate up with the side of the receiver.

When I contacted the seller, they were just going by what they were told.

Jtarm
07-29-2023, 12:32 PM
Can target knobs be added to the regular Williams?

I’m not finding any sights with knobs available right now.

M-Tecs
07-29-2023, 12:39 PM
Can target knobs be added to the regular Williams?

I’m not finding any sights with knobs available right now.

I've never owned a Williams but per Williams yes.

Video here https://www.amazon.com/live/video/ba2ff9f7812445398cd21b0cd7343265?ref_=asvh_vdp

Knobs here https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/gun-sight-tools/foolproof-target-knobs/

jgstrug
07-29-2023, 02:43 PM
You have already been given some great ideas. I don't have any Winchester lever action rifles but I have a few Marlin ones. Because of the solid top side ejecting Marlin I have STEEL receiver sights on all of them. the top ejecting rifles may be a problem with these great sights but if it doesn't interfere I would do whatever it takes to get one on there and leave the aluminum for beer cans.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

W.R.Buchanan
07-29-2023, 04:10 PM
The Sight you are looking for is an all Steel Lyman 66A which is the model for a Win 1894.

They come up on Ebay frequently and I just bought a 66LA for a new Marlin Rifle. (Pic #1) I got a screamin' "Buy it Now" deal For $88, $101 Shipped with Tax. It is essentially "NIB" without the box!

These sights have features that the Redfield 70's (Pic #5) don't have such as the Lead Screw Disconnect Button which makes it so you can do coarse adjustments on the fly and then go back to your "Mechanical Zero" when done as they also have a Slide Stop Screw. I also have several Redfield's mounted on guns, but those guns are sighted in to a predetermined zero and left there. The Lyman's are on guns where I change the Elevation Settings for different yardages for Silhouette Stages. Then Push the button and go right back the Mechanical Zero when done.

Redfield 80's have these features as well but are much harder to find . Like MTECS said don't buy the new Aluminum Versions Lyman sells now as they are totally inferior and I just saw a new price of $165 for them???!!! I have not paid that much for any of the Original Steel Lyman 66's I have bought!

Just be patient and wait for one to come up on Ebay.! you need "66A"

Hope this helps ? All my Leverguns have these sights and I wouldn't put them on if they weren't superior to all others. I only have one Williams Peep Sight left and it is on one of my Airguns. I use it for "Aperture Sight Practice."

Randy

Jtarm
07-29-2023, 07:01 PM
I've never owned a Williams but per Williams yes.

Video here https://www.amazon.com/live/video/ba2ff9f7812445398cd21b0cd7343265?ref_=asvh_vdp

Knobs here https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/gun-sight-tools/foolproof-target-knobs/

Thanks, it’s on the way.

ShooterAZ
07-30-2023, 11:18 AM
I think you made a good choice. I have two of the aluminum receiver sights. One is a Lyman 57SML mounted on a 54 caliber Lyman percussion rifle, the other one is the Williams Foolproof mounted on a Win Model 94. Both have seen heavy use in the hunting field including riding in a scabbard on the back of a horse. Neither one of them have ever given me any problems, and they have never come out of adjustment. In this day and age it seems like most everyone wants to use scopes...that may be one of the reasons the old steel receiver sights went the way of the dinosaur.

Jtarm
07-30-2023, 12:38 PM
I think you made a good choice. I have two of the aluminum receiver sights. One is a Lyman 57SML mounted on a 54 caliber Lyman percussion rifle, the other one is the Williams Foolproof mounted on a Win Model 94. Both have seen heavy use in the hunting field including riding in a scabbard on the back of a horse. Neither one of them have ever given me any problems, and they have never come out of adjustment. In this day and age it seems like most everyone wants to use scopes...that may be one of the reasons the old steel receiver sights went the way of the dinosaur.

What front sight are you using on the 94?

I’m guessing the factory bead will be too low for a receiver sight.

ShooterAZ
07-30-2023, 01:12 PM
I'm using the Firesight. I don't remember the the height I ordered, but I did call Williams and they told me which one to get. It worked perfectly and was easy to install. I had to file a miniscule amount off of the bottom of it to fit it. I also got a slot filler for the dovetail of the rear sight.

jimb16
07-30-2023, 06:20 PM
I put a Marble's Tang sight on my .45 Colt 1873 clone. Dropped the group size at 50 yards from 3 inches down to less than 1 inch for 5 shots. For hunting, I remove the disc and use it like a ghost ring rear sight. I've had the rifle for 3 years and have taken a buck with it every year since I've had it. They all dropped in their tracks with the first shot. It works just fine for my 74 year old near sighted eyes.