PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Single Six cylinder tight for Winchester ammo only

redhawk0
07-24-2023, 12:22 PM
Hi guys,

I have a Bicentennial edition Ruger Single Six that was willed to me. (pre-passing) It was unfired all these close to 50 years. He has now since passed and I decided that he would have wanted me to enjoy it instead of just looking at it.

So....I did just that recently. It has both the 22S/L/LR and the 22Mag cylinders. The 22Mag cylinder was a whole lot of fun to shoot....unfortunately the 22LR cylinder had some issues with my Winchester ammo. They just won't fit the cylinder. They go about 1/2 way down and "jam"....no Kerplunk.

So I figured...the cylinder wasn't reamed correctly....I brought it home thoroughly cleaned it, then checked other ammo brands...Aquilla, ArmsCor, Remington, and Federal all dropped in with a Kerplunk. OK...so it's not likely the cylinder...but my Winchester 333 packed ammo (I have a case of it) and it can't be used in this revolver. I can however use it in several other rifles/pistols that I have...so it's not a big deal.

Has anyone else run into ammo brand "sensitivity" in a Ruger SS?

redhawk

Texas by God
07-24-2023, 02:31 PM
Yes, with Winchester and Browning brand(probably the same) .22 LR ammunition.
It was tight in my Single Six, JAMMED my Nylon66(!!!!), stuck in my Remington 581 bolt action.
I believe that the bullet has too much shank forward of the case mouth.
I only had a hundred rounds of each and I finally used it up in my 510 Remington single shot.
At least it was accurate…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TD1886
07-24-2023, 02:46 PM
I'm noticing Winchester is having a lot of problems with their ammo. In all types!!

Jedman
07-24-2023, 02:54 PM
I once had a brick of Remington Hi Speed 22’s I was given by my uncle who bought them in the 1950’s.
They came in Red and White boxes with the Remington name in green and I had trouble with them chambering in several rifles and pistols.
I gave them away to someone, back then probably the 1970’s there were so many good brands of 22 ammo that shot well and were pretty cheap.

Jedman

huntinlever
07-24-2023, 02:58 PM
Wow, given my recent issues with the PP 30-06, is this something new with them? Never recall having an issue with their ammo in the past. Has manufacturing shipped somewhere I don't know about?

On a side note, I grew up on the single-six, over 50 years ago. First firearm, Christmas present as a kid. Loved that thing in the back chapparal country of my youth, joined by a Marlin '97 22LR. I'm sorry for your loss, but congratulations on getting such a legacy.

TD1886
07-24-2023, 04:57 PM
Wow, given my recent issues with the PP 30-06, is this something new with them? Never recall having an issue with their ammo in the past. Has manufacturing shipped somewhere I don't know about?

On a side note, I grew up on the single-six, over 50 years ago. First firearm, Christmas present as a kid. Loved that thing in the back chapparal country of my youth, joined by a Marlin '97 22LR. I'm sorry for your loss, but congratulations on getting such a legacy.

My very first gun was a Ruger Super Single Six with both cylinders. Bought when I got leave from bootcamp. Many years later I sold and have regretted it ever since. It was very accurate I might add. I never shot more then one box of 22 magnums from it, now I have three 22 mag rifles, one S&W 22LR/22mag revolver, and I have a new S&W 22 mag semi-auto pistol on the way.

tja6435
07-24-2023, 05:08 PM
The Winchester 333’s jam up in my Ruger MKII that eats anything (but those), they also won’t run in my Ruger Charger now I’m thinking about it.

Sam Sackett
07-24-2023, 06:15 PM
I have two 22 cal single sixes. They both have very tight cylinders. Have to push all brands of ammo in. No problems with firing or extraction. Maybe it’s the nature of the beast.

Sam Sackett

redhawk0
07-24-2023, 07:18 PM
I'm feeling better about this now...sorry you all have troubles with Win ammo too...I can tell you one thing...It's likely the last Win 22LR ammo I buy. Fortunately, I do have other firearms that I can feed it to. For those that don't...I won't be begging any off of you...hahaha

Anyway...thanx for the confirmation...I knew I wasn't crazier than I already thought I was.

redhawk

georgerkahn
07-24-2023, 08:04 PM
I have two 22 cal single sixes. They both have very tight cylinders. Have to push all brands of ammo in. No problems with firing or extraction. Maybe it’s the nature of the beast.

Sam Sackett

I have but one Single Six, and pretty much any/all brands are a snug fit. Last year I recall using a towel to rub some wax off lead .22 ammo -- I do not recall the brand, sorry... but it was a snug fit. (This being .22 long rifle ammo).
geo

hoodat
07-24-2023, 08:07 PM
I'm anothern of you guys who cut his teeth on a Single-Six Convertible. Mine's an old fixed sight version that I bought from a buddy for $65 when I was sixteen years old. What great pistollas those are. Mine doesn't get the use that I did back in the day, but it still has a lifetime of shooting in it.

My advice is to take the cylinder out and chuck up a bronze brush in an electric drill and hit those chambers from both ends with any light oil or cleaner. That might solve your problem, or it might not, but it won't hurt. jd

redhawk0
07-24-2023, 08:14 PM
I'm anothern of you guys who cut his teeth on a Single-Six Convertible. Mine's an old fixed sight version that I bought from a buddy for $65 when I was sixteen years old. What great pistollas those are. Mine doesn't get the use that I did back in the day, but it still has a lifetime of shooting in it.

My advice is to take the cylinder out and chuck up a bronze brush in an electric drill and hit those chambers from both ends with any light oil or cleaner. That might solve your problem, or it might not, but it won't hurt. jd

Yeah...I tried that....I actually used a patch wrapped bronze brush with JB Bore Paste on it. I wanted to "hone" it shiny and maybe take a 0.005" off at the same time. I don't think I opened it up any...but it would have removed all of the factory machine oils/greases.

I wish it would have worked...but...finding all my other 22 ammo fit without issue, I'll just live with the cylinders as they are now.

redhawk

TD1886
07-24-2023, 08:52 PM
Yeah...I tried that....I actually used a patch wrapped bronze brush with JB Bore Paste on it. I wanted to "hone" it shiny and maybe take a 0.005" off at the same time. I don't think I opened it up any...but it would have removed all of the factory machine oils/greases.

I wish it would have worked...but...finding all my other 22 ammo fit without issue, I'll just live with the cylinders as they are now.

redhawk

Try jewelers rouge. The abrasiveness color coded. I believe White and Green are pretty abrasive, but know that Red is one of the finer ones.

GhostHawk
07-24-2023, 09:12 PM
My Advise, leave the .22mag cylinder in it.

.22 convertible barrels tend to be sized for the .22mag, not the .22lr.

.22mag's in my experience shoot straighter, give tighter groups. Costs a bit more to shoot them. 22 to 24 cents a around if you shop around a bit.
But they have quite a bit more whump in them.

Besides, .22mag at the range is just a whole bunch more fun to shoot.

M-Tecs
07-24-2023, 09:45 PM

redhawk

This should work better. https://www.amazon.com/PMD-Products-Chamber-Flex-Hone-Research/dp/B09K1RLV9K

TD1886
07-24-2023, 10:21 PM
This should work better. https://www.amazon.com/PMD-Products-Chamber-Flex-Hone-Research/dp/B09K1RLV9K

To me that 400 grit is more abrasive then I would want to use. I'd go with something much fine. Better to use a finer grit and do it a few more times then the 400 grit and not be sorry you over enlarged the chamber.

TD1886
07-24-2023, 10:23 PM

.22mag's in my experience shoot straighter, give tighter groups. Costs a bit more to shoot them. 22 to 24 cents a around if you shop around a bit.

Back in the old days when Colt and Ruger both made convertibles, they had the 22 LR bore and groove and the 22 mag cylinder was choked down. I have a S&W 617 with both cylinders and it's that way to, the mag cylinder is choked down. All three mentiones are very accurate. I've heard they did make some with the bore and groove for the 22 mag.

hoodat
07-24-2023, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I've heard the premise that the diameter of the 22 mag barrels is a thousandth larger, or that long rifles shoot less accurately in them, but that doesn't prove up in mine. It simply shoots 22 LR as accurately as any 22 pistol I've ever owned. With a rest, and particularly with my younger eye-balls, it had great 100 yard accuracy, and I've made shots with it that can only be described as -- "NO WAY!!!"

I also went through few years of shooting almost nothing but 22 Mags in it because I picked up twenty boxes of them for a killer deal at 2 bucks a box. I can't say they were any more accurate, but they busted up the jacks and sage rats with more authority. A little harder on my eardrums also. jd

redhawk0
07-25-2023, 08:53 AM

Yeah...I thought about something more aggressive...but I'm such a gorilla...I'd hate to mess things up. I do have some 10um diamond dust (for polishing High Voltage Stainless Steel ION column parts)...I was thinking of mixing a glycerin paste with it and give that a go. I could control the "grind" a little better with the diamond powder slurry on a felt pad in a dremel tool.

I likely won't touch it at this point...since other ammo fits...why bother....I was more curious if others were having issues with the Win ammo compared to other brands.

redhawk

Larry Gibson
07-25-2023, 09:57 AM
Anyone made any measurements of diameter of bullets and cases for comparison?

MostlyLeverGuns
07-25-2023, 10:11 AM
I have some old Winchester 'bulk' boxes of .22LR. Does NOT work in a 22/45, chambers hard in S&W 63, Ruger Single-six(3 screw),H&R 999 - my solution is AVOID Winchester 22LR. Aguila, Federal, CCI are available and all work better than the Winchester bulk 333, 555, whatever packaging. My Federal 'bulk' Copper Plated Hollow point is surprisingly accurate though I like Aguila Sub-sonic or CCI just a little better. Federal's price on bulk is good though the stuff I am shooting was $17-18 dollars a carton(500+) when I got it. I have been buying more than I can shoot for years but it keeps. I WOULD NOT fool with chambers in any firearm to accommodate Winchester. Only if problems with multiple brands of ammo would I believe the firearm to be the problem.

MostlyLeverGuns
07-25-2023, 12:02 PM
Without fussing I checked 5 each Aguila from the CMP, Federal Copper Plated HP bulk and some old Winchester bulk. Using a dial caliper the CMP Aguila went .2242-.2245, the Federal was .2240-.2245 and the Winchester went .2250-.2263. The Aguila and Federal were more consistently round with the Winchester out of round by .0005 to .001. I did this a long time ago and remember about the same results.

M-Tecs
07-25-2023, 01:47 PM
Yeah...I thought about something more aggressive...but I'm such a gorilla...I'd hate to mess things up. I do have some 10um diamond dust (for polishing High Voltage Stainless Steel ION column parts)...I was thinking of mixing a glycerin paste with it and give that a go. I could control the "grind" a little better with the diamond powder slurry on a felt pad in a dremel tool.

I likely won't touch it at this point...since other ammo fits...why bother....I was more curious if others were having issues with the Win ammo compared to other brands.

redhawk

I've never used the flex-hones for a 22LR. I have done a bunch of cylinders on cowboy action guns in 38 and 45. They come in 400 grit and 800 grit. Neither one is what would be considered aggressive cutting, but they do cut evenly. That is going to be a challenge using a felt pad and Dremel. The 400 grit leaves an adequate finish. The 800 grit is finial finish and is really slow cutting.

I haven't purchased 22LR in a long time. I stocked up on when the prices were good. I had a batch of Remington Golden that did the same thing. I didn't touch the chambers unless there is an actual issue with the chambers, or they are something like cowboy action guns. I've had a couple of Ruger's and one S&W with rough chambers that gave sticky extractions.

TD1886
07-25-2023, 01:56 PM
Anyone made any measurements of diameter of bullets and cases for comparison?

That's an excellent idea Larry. Remember when the those first 22 LF convesion kits came out for the AR15 5.56/223? The accuracy wasn't stellar, but it worked, but just okay. Well the accuracy would get better if you mic'ed your brands of 22LR bullets to find that the fatter ones would shoot more accurately. I have a swage to increase the diamter of the 22LR and they really work on tightening your groups up in many firearms. I once had a Colt Diamond Back 22LR with a 4 inch barrel. Really nice revolver, but accuracy wasn't all that good. I read about the bore and groove on Colt revolver and it was mentioned that the Diamond Back was fat. I mic'ed it and it was. I didn't have my 22LR swage then, but I started micing ammo. PMC has the largest bullet diameter so I tried that. Accuracy improved.

I have a couple S&W 22 revolver and the cylinders on both of them are tight. I don't have to have the cartridges "drop" into the cylinder on 22LR's so I'm not fooling with trying to enlarge them.

TD1886
07-25-2023, 02:00 PM
I've never used the flex-hones for a 22LR. I have done a bunch of cylinders on cowboy action guns in 38 and 45. They come in 400 grit and 800 grit. Neither one is what would be considered aggressive cutting, but they do cut evenly. That is going to be a challenge using a felt pad and Dremel. The 400 grit leaves an adequate finish. The 800 grit is finial finish and is really slow cutting.

I haven't purchased 22LR in a long time. I stocked up on when the prices were good. I had a batch of Remington Golden that did the same thing. I didn't touch the chambers unless there is an actual issue with the chambers, or they are something like cowboy action guns. I've had a couple of Ruger's and one S&W with rough chambers that gave sticky extractions.

Question is, is it the case part of the chamber that is tight on 22LR cylinder, or is it the bullet give the tight results? What I don't like about the hone your posted is you have to be very careful in how far or deep you hone that chamber. I wouldn't want to alter it much from the SAAMI specs. What part of that chamber would you hone? Would you run the hone all the way through and out the cylinder mouth? Not me.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-25-2023, 03:14 PM
IIRC, the Win 333 bulk paks came out right after the 2013-14 incidence of empty shelves. I recall buying a couple 333 paks from a box store and had too many FTF's in my Ruger MKII. I was glad when they were gone

DougGuy
07-25-2023, 03:15 PM
The majority of Ruger 22 cylinders pin out to .227" bored straight through. These you can chamber most brands of 22LR into the FRONT of the cylinder!

OP (or any others in this thread) you are welcome to send the cylinder and have it pinned to gain accurate chamber measurements. Send a PM to inquire.

I ream a LOT of S&W cylinders for finicky ammo and sticky extraction, fixes them right up. If your Ruger cylinder is tight, reaming may fix the issue completely.

I would strongly advise against using a flex hone, it hones every part of the chamber whether it needs it or not, and it doesn't hunt out the tight spots and hit just those like a finishing reamer will.

TD1886
07-25-2023, 03:24 PM
IIRC, the Win 333 bulk paks came out right after the 2013-14 incidence of empty shelves. I recall buying a couple 333 paks from a box store and had too many FTF's in my Ruger MKII. I was glad when they were gone

That's probably very true Jon, but I remember back through the history of 22LR ammo the probles I've had. Remember when Remington has a deal where you got a big ceramic coffee much with their logo full of the gold plated premium 22LR ammo? I had bought one and were they terrible. You could hear the different in the muzzle report when shooting them that the velocities weren't the same. I've had FTF too, but we have to remember they spin that primer compound into the rims and lots can go wrong with that. The most recent problem I've had wasn't with 22LR ammo, but 22 WRF commenoritive ammo. That's the shorter 22 mag ammo with the lead bullets for those that don't remember them. Had many FTF with those. I pulled the bullets from some and some didn't have the yellow primer compound in the rim, the other's did though. Yes I tried firing them over again by changing their position in the chamber for a new firing pin strike.

TD1886
07-25-2023, 03:26 PM
The majority of Ruger 22 cylinders pin out to .227" bored straight through. These you can chamber most brands of 22LR into the FRONT of the cylinder!

OP (or any others in this thread) you are welcome to send the cylinder and have it pinned to gain accurate chamber measurements. Send a PM to inquire.

I ream a LOT of S&W cylinders for finicky ammo and sticky extraction, fixes them right up. If your Ruger cylinder is tight, reaming may fix the issue completely.

I would strongly advise against using a flex hone, it hones every part of the chamber whether it needs it or not, and it doesn't hunt out the tight spots and hit just those like a finishing reamer will.

I have to agree with you with the flex hone.

M-Tecs
07-25-2023, 03:34 PM
Question is, is it the case part of the chamber that is tight on 22LR cylinder, or is it the bullet give the tight results? What I don't like about the hone your posted is you have to be very careful in how far or deep you hone that chamber. I wouldn't want to alter it much from the SAAMI specs. What part of that chamber would you hone? Would you run the hone all the way through and out the cylinder mouth? Not me.

I take it you have never used flex-hones? As to what and where to hone that depends on what issues if any the cylinder has? As to altering the SAAMI specs they can be found here on page 15. https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.1-Rimfire-2018-Approved-2018-06-13.pdf Per SAAMI the standard sporting chambers are .227" +.002. SAAMI for the bullets is .2255 -.004".

Even with the 400 grit is take a significant amount of time to remove more than.0002". They are best for dealing with rough finishes or minor tooling marks.

That being said a Sunnen hone like DougGuy has is a better option and both are a better option than felt pads in a Dremel.

TD1886
07-25-2023, 05:04 PM
I take it you have never used flex-hones? As to what and where to hone that depends on what issues if any the cylinder has? As to altering the SAAMI specs they can be found here on page 15. https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.1-Rimfire-2018-Approved-2018-06-13.pdf Per SAAMI the standard sporting chambers are .227" +.002. SAAMI for the bullets is .2255 -.004".

Even with the 400 grit is take a significant amount of time to remove more than.0002". They are best for dealing with rough finishes or minor tooling marks.

That being said a Sunnen hone like DougGuy has is a better option and both are a better option than felt pads in a Dremel.

DougGuy has the ticket! So now you're making assumptions of what I have used and have not.

That remark about the Dremel with felt pads is hilarious!!

Have a nice day Tecs.

Larry Gibson
07-25-2023, 05:15 PM
That's an excellent idea Larry. Remember when the those first 22 LF convesion kits came out for the AR15 5.56/223? The accuracy wasn't stellar, but it worked, but just okay. Well the accuracy would get better if you mic'ed your brands of 22LR bullets to find that the fatter ones would shoot more accurately. I have a swage to increase the diamter of the 22LR and they really work on tightening your groups up in many firearms. ........

The commercial 22LR conversion kits weren't made all that well. I remember well how grossly disappointed I was with the first Ceiner 22LR kit I worked with. Compared to the issue M261 device the manufacturing quality was very poor. Performance on target at 50 yards out of 12" twist ARs was about twice+ what it was with the M261 device. Having my own M261 device for a few years now I find it very satisfacorty when used in my own 12" twist AR. In my 9" twist Colt Comp AR the accuracy, at 50 yards, falls off and out of any 7" twist AR the accuracy is gnenerally close to improved cylinder at 50 yards.

The "throat" [if you want to call it that] in my M261 pin gauges right at .225. I also swage my 22LR cartridges with .225 Waltz dies or the Paco Kelly tool. For use in the M261 I prefer to use copper coated 22 LR HV. Either the HPs or standard do because with either the Waltz die or the Paco tool I end up reforming a larger HP when swaging the bullet to a uniform .225 diameter. With such swaged Winchester or Federal bulk package 38/40 gr HV 22 LR cartridges my AR with 12" twist with EoTech sight gives 10 shot accuracy consistently at or under 1 1/2" at 50 yards. Certainly not "stellar accuracy" as compared to my Remington M37 or M504 or even my 10/22 but certainly sufficient for what Intend to use it for. With the suppressor on the AR and using Waltz'd CCI "Match" at 1075 fps it is very quiet with most of what's heard is the M261 action slapping back and forth and the bullets hitting the target.

TD1886
07-25-2023, 05:21 PM
The commercial 22LR conversion kits weren't made all that well. I remember well how grossly disappointed I was with the first Ceiner 22LR kit I worked with. Compared to the issue M261 device the manufacturing quality was very poor. Performance on target at 50 yards out of 12" twist ARs was about twice+ what it was with the M261 device. Having my own M261 device for a few years now I find it very satisfacorty when used in my own 12" twist AR. In my 9" twist Colt Comp AR the accuracy, at 50 yards, falls off and out of any 7" twist AR the accuracy is gnenerally close to improved cylinder at 50 yards.

The "throat" [if you want to call it that] in my M261 pin gauges right at .225. I also swage my 22LR cartridges with .225 Waltz dies or the Paco Kelly tool. For use in the M261 I prefer to use copper coated 22 LR HV. Either the HPs or standard do because with either the Waltz die or the Paco tool I end up reforming a larger HP when swaging the bullet to a uniform .225 diameter. With such swaged Winchester or Federal bulk package 38/40 gr HV 22 LR cartridges my AR with 12" twist with EoTech sight gives 10 shot accuracy consistently at or under 1 1/2" at 50 yards. Certainly not "stellar accuracy" as compared to my Remington M37 or M504 or even my 10/22 but certainly sufficient for what Intend to use it for. With the suppressor on the AR and using Waltz'd CCI "Match" at 1075 fps it is very quiet with most of what's heard is the M261 action slapping back and forth and the bullets hitting the target.

Right on Larry! Good post. Do you remember a time when CMMG was making those conversions and they had a problem with them thus issued a call back. They redesigned the replacement. I've shot the 22LR's from a 7 twist with the fatter bullets and it was minute of angle squirrel at 25 yards or so. I can't say beyond that. I had a Colt conversion and sold. Kind of sorry I did now. If you were to purchase one today which you buy Larry?

BTW Larry I made my swage die. You can purchase die blanks from CH. Been awhile but I think mine has a very small pilot hole drilled in them. Anyways didn't take much to lathe it to the dimensions I wanted. Was nice the die was finished with the threads and all, that saved time.

M-Tecs
07-25-2023, 05:28 PM
DougGuy has the ticket! So now you're making assumptions of what I have used and have not.

That remark about the Dremel with felt pads is hilarious!!

Have a nice day Tecs.

That's not mine to take credit for. That would be the OP

redhawk

TD1886
07-25-2023, 05:39 PM
That's not mine to take credit for. That would be the OP

Duly noted Tecs. Still many out there that don't know the hazards of the Dremel!!!

gwpercle
07-26-2023, 06:48 PM
I bought a new Ruger Wrangler several months ago ($199 price was hard to walk away from) CCI Mini-Mags drop right in and fall out , slick as a whistle .
Recently picked up two limited edition Winchester Super - X Power Point , 22LR 40 gr. 1280 fps , HP ...222 round boxes ...the box is sorta retro looking .
When I started loading some in the Ruger Wrangler ... several of them didn't want to just drop-in drop-out . I thought the rounds were not straight or too fat or...???

I decided to try them in my S&W kit gun ... separate out any that didn't want to drop-in ... so far every round drops in the S&W !!!
I'm going to dig out the Wrangler ... maybe Winchester's ammo is on the + side of the tolerances and Rugers chambers are on the - side of the tolerances and that's why the Winchester ammo isn't dropping right in the Wrangler .
I'm not going to fault Ruger for having "tight" specifications ...this Wrangler is well fitted and I like the tight tolerances ... I will find ammo for it .
Gary

Follow up ... Every round that dropped into my S&W's chambers ...every one I tried... had a slight bit of resistence going into the Ruger Wrangler's chambers ...
none would just drop in ...ker-plunk style but slide in with slight finger pressure . and when inverted the 22's wouldn't fall out ker-plunk , I had to use the ejector rod to push them out .
If the Ruger chambers were any tighter or the Winchester cases any larger there would be a problem but as is they fit together and should shoot and eject fine .
One of the reasons I wanted another 22LR Revolver is they aren't too finicky about ammo .
Gary

TD1886
07-26-2023, 08:11 PM
I bought a new Ruger Wrangler several months ago ($199 price was hard to walk away from) CCI Mini-Mags drop right in and fall out , slick as a whistle .
Recently picked up two limited edition Winchester Super - X Power Point , 22LR 40 gr. 1280 fps , HP ...222 round boxes ...the box is sorta retro looking .
When I started loading some in the Ruger Wrangler ... several of them didn't want to just drop-in drop-out . I thought the rounds were not straight or too fat or...???

I decided to try them in my S&W kit gun ... separate out any that didn't want to drop-in ... so far every round drops in the S&W !!!
I'm going to dig out the Wrangler ... maybe Winchester's ammo is on the + side of the tolerances and Rugers chambers are on the - side of the tolerances and that's why the Winchester ammo isn't dropping right in the Wrangler .
I'm not going to fault Ruger for having "tight" specifications ...this Wrangler is well fitted and I like the tight tolerances ... I will find ammo for it .
Gary

I have a Smith 34 and it has exceptionally tight chambers.

Texas by God
07-26-2023, 10:17 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230727/430dc59a922e9face305a596f980a768.jpg
These aren’t the ones I mentioned earlier; they came in a clear red 100 pack marked Super X and the Brownings a Yellow label.
But you can tell by the writing on the box that this stuff jams up in my semi autos that purr along with Remington, Federal, Aguila, CCI, and what not.
It doesn’t LOOK that much different than CCI or Aguila, but something is up.
The only .22 ammo ( that I’ve used)that was close to being as bad as that Super X/Browning was Russian steel case “Junior” that was briefly offered in the 90s.

TD1886
07-26-2023, 11:33 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230727/430dc59a922e9face305a596f980a768.jpg
These aren’t the ones I mentioned earlier; they came in a clear red 100 pack marked Super X and the Brownings a Yellow label.
But you can tell by the writing on the box that this stuff jams up in my semi autos that purr along with Remington, Federal, Aguila, CCI, and what not.
It doesn’t LOOK that much different than CCI or Aguila, but something is up.
The only .22 ammo ( that I’ve used)that was close to being as bad as that Super X/Browning was Russian steel case “Junior” that was briefly offered in the 90s.

I have some Browning that I use in my Kimber Match Target 1911 upper because they said to use 40 grain bullets in it and I got a good deal on Browning and they are just fine. It also has a fairly tight chamber.

DougGuy
07-27-2023, 10:20 AM
I have a Smith 34 and it has exceptionally tight chambers.

They tell me that there are two kinds of shooters at the kit gun matches, those who have had their cylinders reamed and those who are intending to.

I get a ton of S&W 22LR cylinders because of tight chambers, stiff extraction, etc. I ream the chambers and briefly hit it with a flex hone and I never hear any more out of the owner, until they have another cylinder they want "fixed" to date, no complaints after reaming chambers.

Larry Gibson
07-27-2023, 10:54 AM
Right on Larry! Good post. Do you remember a time when CMMG was making those conversions and they had a problem with them thus issued a call back. They redesigned the replacement. I've shot the 22LR's from a 7 twist with the fatter bullets and it was minute of angle squirrel at 25 yards or so. I can't say beyond that. I had a Colt conversion and sold. Kind of sorry I did now. If you were to purchase one today which you buy Larry?

BTW Larry I made my swage die. You can purchase die blanks from CH. Been awhile but I think mine has a very small pilot hole drilled in them. Anyways didn't take much to lathe it to the dimensions I wanted. Was nice the die was finished with the threads and all, that saved time.

I'd find an M261 with 5 - 10 mag inserts and use it in an AR with a 12" twist. That's what the device was made for.

trapper9260
07-27-2023, 11:05 AM
I have a Ruger SS and got it back in the early 80's and what I put in it will work no matter what ammo . I use it for my trap line ,I just use the 22 lr part not much of the mag.

TD1886
07-27-2023, 11:55 AM
I'd find an M261 with 5 - 10 mag inserts and use it in an AR with a 12" twist. That's what the device was made for.

Glad you posted again. I wanted to discuss the 7 twist and these conversions. Let's say you have a velocity of a 22LR bullet using that kit from a 20 inch barrel of 1250 fps. That would be 128,571 rpm. What is your opinion that destroys the accuracy in the 7 twist, the incompadible diameter of the 22LR bullet to the .224 groove, the rpm of the bullet, or the fast twist is somehow ruining the very soft bullet to cause it be inaccurate. I also thought that some people get half decent accuracy with cast bullets, but they are usually longer, not as soft as the 22LR, and they fit the bore/groove much better. What do you think is the problem? Thanks in advance

Bazoo
07-27-2023, 12:40 PM
My single six has pretty tight chambers. Some brands of ammo will not chamber without force. I've not encountered any that wouldn't chamber at all. Best I recall, the winchester ammo is tighter.

I have a bucket of remington golden bullets that had an occasional thicker rim that would jame the single six. They ran fine through several other 22s.

Larry Gibson
07-27-2023, 01:44 PM
Glad you posted again. I wanted to discuss the 7 twist and these conversions. Let's say you have a velocity of a 22LR bullet using that kit from a 20 inch barrel of 1250 fps. That would be 128,571 rpm. What is your opinion that destroys the accuracy in the 7 twist, the incompadible diameter of the 22LR bullet to the .224 groove, the rpm of the bullet, or the fast twist is somehow ruining the very soft bullet to cause it be inaccurate. I also thought that some people get half decent accuracy with cast bullets, but they are usually longer, not as soft as the 22LR, and they fit the bore/groove much better. What do you think is the problem? Thanks in advance

Suggest we take this discussion to another thread? Why don't you take your last post and start a new thread?

TD1886
07-27-2023, 02:04 PM
Suggest we take this discussion to another thread? Why don't you take your last post and start a new thread?

Thanks, I'll do that. I'll call it "Shooting AR15 22LR Conversion Kits"

TD

Texas by God
07-28-2023, 06:33 PM
I found the box that the bad rounds came in.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230728/b0b84df5d0c7521271fe3f8ba1a7af35.jpg

jdsingleshot
07-31-2023, 08:22 PM
I have several of the Winchester bulk white boxes of .22s. It takes a firm thumb push to get them in my H&R revolver cylinder. Then I have to hit the center pin on a board or something solid (but not hard--don't want to peen the end) to extract them.

The gun easily accepts every other brand I have ever used.

The Winchesters are oversize, IMO. I have measured them, but don recall what the numbers were.