PDA

View Full Version : Where are the large rifle primers???

Patrick L
07-23-2023, 07:33 AM
Is it just me, or is EVERY other size of primer now at least somewhat available? Why are plain vanilla large rifle primers so hard to find?

Froogal
07-23-2023, 08:15 AM
Large PISTOL primers are also made of unobtanium.

charlie b
07-23-2023, 08:28 AM
I finally found some lg pistol last week. Maybe there is hope?

bedbugbilly
07-23-2023, 08:58 AM
After a long dry spell, I was able to pick up 3K of small pistol primers on-line to beef up my supply somewhat, but certainly not at what I consider "reasonable" prices. I spent a lot of time looking at different sources as I was also looking for Large Pistol and Rifle primers. My looking convinced me that they are as rare as a virgin on a troop train. Maybe I just am doing my looking at the wrong time and places get them in and they sell out quickly?

MUSTANG
07-23-2023, 09:16 AM
Large Rifle Primers are used in both military rifles (although the small rifle is now more prevalent on the battlefields); but also in the Machine Guns found throughout the military forces and with the vehicles, artillery units, and air units. I suspect that large volumes of them are being consumed in the Russo/Ukrainian War which is having some impact.

I have found a few hundred Large Pistol Primers over the last 2 months; but not enough to make a dent in using them in my .308 & 30-06 cast boolit loads. (Yes I know many frown on Large Pistol Primers in a Rifle case because they are shorter - but it does work in my loads; just not readily available).

I am still making/using my home "Re-Manufactured Primers" that make using either Prime-All, H-48, or FH-42 primer mixtures. Have been unable to explore the EP-20/25/26 primer mixtures because of "Un-Availability" of chemicals to make those. Also, some of the 1940-1950 civilian primer mixtures that use Red Phosphorus have not been tried because I have been unable to locate Red Phosphorus from a US Source.

Patrick L
07-23-2023, 06:29 PM
Personally, I have found Large Pistol, both locally and online. But Large Rifle are non existent!

gc45
07-23-2023, 09:10 PM
Having many 1000's of both large and small rifle primers, I keep trying to trade a few at my gun club for large pistol primers but no luck. i gave up looking on the net last year because prices had gone beyond my pay grade so shooting air rifles instead.

beechbum444
07-23-2023, 10:43 PM
just found out they make small rifle primer 308 brass....

Barry54
07-25-2023, 10:12 PM
Someone should make adapter sleeves to use small primers in large pockets.

They made small primer 30-30 brass too. It was labeled 30 American. Sold by Federal.

huntinlever
07-25-2023, 10:25 PM
It's a long slog but I picked up some recently through Midsouth. I get notified by Shootingbot and even then if you don't strike within a couple minutes, they're already sold out. In fact, 5 hours ago got notified Midsouth had more CCI 200's in. I seem to see them from Natchez or Midsouth, but no others. But it's long, long in between.

https://www.shootingbot.com/shooting/items/primers/large_rifle

BK7saum
07-25-2023, 10:29 PM
I just sent 4300 of a 5k carton back to manufacturer.

beechbum444
07-25-2023, 10:32 PM
ive seen sleeves for 7.62 x 54 r brass to accept regular american LRPs....so the technology exists

Dutchman
07-25-2023, 11:06 PM
Midsouth had LR primers this morning.

Looks like they're gone now at 8pm.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/primers?instock=true

deces
07-26-2023, 02:14 AM
ukraine...

GregLaROCHE
07-26-2023, 08:52 AM
Don’t forget that you can always start getting into flintlocks. But, be careful. They’re addictive!

MUSTANG
07-26-2023, 09:13 AM
The Musketeers.

jdgabbard
07-26-2023, 12:28 PM
I'm down to about a brick myself. So I'll have to start looking at picking some up before long. Unfortunately, I don't see an end to the shortage/price hikes in sight.

I am still making/using my home "Re-Manufactured Primers" that make using either Prime-All, H-48, or FH-42 primer mixtures. Have been unable to explore the EP-20/25/26 primer mixtures because of "Un-Availability" of chemicals to make those. Also, some of the 1940-1950 civilian primer mixtures that use Red Phosphorus have not been tried because I have been unable to locate Red Phosphorus from a US Source.

You might have a hard time finding it in substantial quantities. If memory from my drug enforcement neighbor serves me, it is commonly used to manufacture a certain party favorite. And it's availability has been curbed by the government to a degree. Cooks were using match heads if I remember correctly....

huntinlever
07-26-2023, 12:46 PM
Don’t forget that you can always start getting into flintlocks. But, be careful. They’re addictive!

Greg do you hunt with your flintlock?

As much as I'd love it, I'm afraid the learning curve is probably a bridge too far for me. Now, right now I'm re-watching Jeremiah Johnson. Guess which smokepole is starting to itch a bit....?

Half Dog
07-26-2023, 04:40 PM
Shortly before the components began drying up we began shooting shotguns. The shotgun components are available and the clays are a hoot to shoot. Save your valuable remaining supplies and try clays.

GregLaROCHE
07-27-2023, 01:52 AM
Greg do you hunt with your flintlock?

As much as I'd love it, I'm afraid the learning curve is probably a bridge too far for me. Now, right now I'm re-watching Jeremiah Johnson. Guess which smokepole is starting to itch a bit....?

I have to admit that I haven’t actively hunted since I’ve gotten into muzzle loading. However, I keep thinking about taking a wild hog with one. I’m sure a .69 caliber round ball would work on them. As always, bullet placement is key.

michael.birdsley
07-27-2023, 02:38 AM
do you think there will be day when everything is one type of primer ? one primer fits all sort of thing. it would kind of make things easier for everyone. or a standard rifle primer and a standard pistol primer. no large and small for either.

you might have to come up with some differnt powder formulas to make it work. however, it would make things economically and in general easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntinlever
07-27-2023, 06:57 AM
I have to admit that I haven’t actively hunted since I’ve gotten into muzzle loading. However, I keep thinking about taking a wild hog with one. I’m sure a .69 caliber round ball would work on them. As always, bullet placement is key.

I'd love it, just learning curve, yep, and also a bit leery of being in knee-deep northwoods snow on a deer on a snowy day....and }click." Still, forefathers must have done something right!

MUSTANG
07-27-2023, 08:46 AM
Getting sufficient energy from/through a smaller cup would be difficult; different mixture compound for the larger cases. To be extreme - Envision a Small Primer in a 50BMG case; or even an artillery or Tank shell. There is a technical driver for the different size primers.

That being said; I had been thinking of sleeving primer pockets on .223/.308/.30-40/30-06 before I settled on Remanufacturing primer for my own use. In the past; I had even postulated sleeving .50BMG pockets for Large Rifle Primers.

beagle
07-28-2023, 09:50 PM
Someone should make adapter sleeves to use small primers in large pockets.

They made small primer 30-30 brass too. It was labeled 30 American. Sold by Federal.

They did at one time. Some of the old bench rest shooters may have some stashed. The idea was to give a gentle ignition./beagle

michael.birdsley
08-18-2023, 02:30 PM
Jays in clare michigan had a brick of large pistol, large rifle, and large magnum rifle for $110 each. this is the first i’ve seen those in 3 years. i as expecting a price tag of $154

i picked up a sleeve of smell rifle benchrest federels for $14.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUSTANG
08-18-2023, 02:37 PM
I was fortunate to pick up a Federal#200 Large Primer Brick (1000) earlier this week at the Kalispell Sportman's Ski Haus for $79.99. They limited to na single brick (better than only 100 to 200).