PDA

View Full Version : New to me 58 Muzzle Loader

oscarflytyer
07-21-2023, 11:22 PM
New to me 58 Muzzle Loader - Picked up today. Not sure what brand. All I know is, made in Italy, and a big block capital I in a square. Looks like it has never been fired. Has set triggers. Not familiar with the 58. I have 2 lbs of Elephant FFg (was free) and plenty of pure lead. Have a .575 Lee mold inbound. Guess I'll figure it out. Maybe a BP freezer deer this year! Never taken one with a ML.

Going to shoot the simple RB. Figure 80 grns of powder. Won't shoot past 50 yds in my woods. If anyone has a better accuracy load, I am all ears.

indian joe
07-22-2023, 04:26 AM
New to me 58 Muzzle Loader - Picked up today. Not sure what brand. All I know is, made in Italy, and a big block capital I in a square. Looks like it has never been fired. Has set triggers. Not familiar with the 58. I have 2 lbs of Elephant FFg (was free) and plenty of pure lead. Have a .575 Lee mold inbound. Guess I'll figure it out. Maybe a BP freezer deer this year! Never taken one with a ML.

Going to shoot the simple RB. Figure 80 grns of powder. Won't shoot past 50 yds in my woods. If anyone has a better accuracy load, I am all ears.

sounds like a plan to me ..... while you wait check the twist, if its 1:60 or slower it should take more powder if you feel inclined - if its 1:70 or slower might need a stiffer charge to get the best out of it ............. keep us posted sounds like fun.

Nobade
07-22-2023, 06:11 AM
The big I is Investarms. 58s work really well for hunting. I tend to run about 80 grains of 2f in mine. Just experiment with ball size and patch thickness as well as powder charge to find out what works best.

Sasquatch-1
07-22-2023, 06:46 AM
Have fun with it. Would love to see some pictures.

I have my .54 cal. Hawkin in the truck right now and will be leaving for the range in about an hour or so.

oscarflytyer
07-22-2023, 10:22 AM
The 80-85 grn with RB seems to be the general sweet spot from my reading/research. Prob where I'll start.

I did figure out what it is. Basic Hawken. Late night research shows that it is an Investarms made in Italy. 58 cal. Italian date code AC = 1977. Curved brass butt. Brass patch box. Double set triggers. Does not appear ever fired! Looks like shallow rifling. Has star over PN proof = Gardone and Brescia BP proof. Also has star over crossed rifles and shield proof = Proof House Gardone Val Trompia - Brescia. Investarms made the Lymans back in the day. Looking at this one, you would automatically think it was a Lyman.

Maven
07-22-2023, 01:25 PM
One thing you can do to improve performance is to polish all lock internals and lube them. Ditto the triggers where they bear on the sear. The whole process shouldn't take more than 1 hr. if you are careful. Also, check the crown for burrs and polish it with your thumb and 320 - 400 grit if any are present.

eastbank
07-22-2023, 03:39 PM
i have two a navy arms .58 buffalo hunter for mini balls and a tc big boar .58 that likes round balls, both good killers with in their ranges. .58 mini balls(575313) with 60gr fff, .58 rounld balls (.570) 80 grs fff.

fastdadio
07-22-2023, 07:35 PM
I also have an Investarms .58 Hawken. Bought it new back in the mid 80's. It's a fine rifle., never a problem with it. I've shot round balls, sabots with pistol boolits, minis, and a host of other things that would fit down the barrel. It's a 1/48 twist. As others have said, it does well with a .575 rb and 70-90 grs of 2f. One interesting load I played with is two .535 round balls in a 20 ga. shot cup over 70 grs. 2f. The balls would consistently hit within 4" of each other at 100 yds. I've taken 3 deer with it. No balls were recovered. It's pretty much a safe queen now as I've picked up a few more front stuffers over the years. I would list it here if I knew I could ship it to the buyer if it sold.

TNsailorman
07-22-2023, 10:02 PM
A muzzleloader can be shipped without a need for an FFL and the receiving buyer does not need an FFL. Some states might have restrictions, you would have to clear that with a buyer. james

Bad Ass Wallace
07-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Despite owning lots of cartridge guns, I still enjoy any range time with my muzzleloaders! Hope you like your 58 as much as I do!

https://i.imgur.com/SY6JH8Gh.jpg

Jedman
07-23-2023, 10:33 AM
I built an under hammer 58 cal. muzzleloader about 40 years ago with a 32” barrel and a receiver sight and use to only use it for targets with patched round balls. It weighed about 10 + lbs and was very accurate. Then about 20 years ago I cut the barrel down to 20” and made a carbine out of it with a small 2 1/2 X scope for deer hunting. I have taken several deer with rb’s and one with the Lee REAL boolit it is a very effective short range killer. Haven’t used it in quite a few years as I got into smokeless muzzleloaders when I lived in OH but now I live in MI and smokeless is not allowed during muzzleloading season so it should be getting some attention this coming season.
Jedman

oscarflytyer
07-23-2023, 11:46 AM
One thing you can do to improve performance is to polish all lock internals and lube them. Ditto the triggers where they bear on the sear. The whole process shouldn't take more than 1 hr. if you are careful. Also, check the crown for burrs and polish it with your thumb and 320 - 400 grit if any are present.

This thing is like brand new. Don't think it has ever been fired. Bore is nearly pristine/new, with only a slight touch of what is either dust or maybe very light surface rust in the angles of the grooves. Not put a gauge on the trigger, but the set weight is very low. Which is perfect, as I like light triggers.

StrawHat
07-29-2023, 09:14 AM
Despite owning lots of cartridge guns, I still enjoy any range time with my muzzleloaders! Hope you like your 58 as much as I do!

https://i.imgur.com/SY6JH8Gh.jpg

BAW,

That bottom rifle looks like one of the Italian copies of a Cecil Brooks rifle. He was a builder I met and admired.

Nice rifle.

Kevin

Dom
07-29-2023, 10:32 AM
If you need a .570 RB mold I have one available I don't use.