PDA

View Full Version : Always check your ammo

Budzilla 19
07-21-2023, 05:53 PM
Found this in a pile of brass from a shooting range. 9mm fired in a 40s&w chamber.
Wasn’t me that did it.

Yikes!

Well, as usual, I can’t load the photo. Sure wish someone on here could tell me why I “ don’t have permission to perform this operation”!! Refresh the page or login again to perform this operation. I’m already logged in, or else I wouldn’t be able to post this!

Frustrating to say the least. When I figure it out, I’ll post the pics.

Budzilla 19
07-21-2023, 05:59 PM

Here ya go

armoredman
07-21-2023, 06:03 PM
yikes

CastingFool
07-21-2023, 06:10 PM
Had a friend that shot a 308 win in an '06. At first, he thought he had a head case separation. Bullet went out w/o any problem. Bore was clear. Then he checked the headstamp and immediately knew what happened.

Minerat
07-21-2023, 06:25 PM
..... Sure wish someone on here could tell me why I “ don’t have permission to perform this operation”!! Refresh the page or login again to perform this operation. I’m already logged in, or else I wouldn’t be able to post this!

The only problem with most pictures not loading is they are too big. Keep them under 200Kb and they will load every time.

WILCO
07-21-2023, 07:04 PM
WOW!!! Even the primer was punctured!

uscra112
07-21-2023, 07:33 PM
Cellphone cameras seem to default to the highest resolution, creating giant files. Possibly you can change this in the app. I don't use my phone for pictures, so can't offer more than that.

I wash image files through a freeware program, called IrFanView. It takes some learning, but you can do a number of things that will reduce file size. Cropping borders is one, and even if you don't do that you can dictate the file size when saving.

higgins
07-21-2023, 08:10 PM
I watched a man shoot a whole box of 25/06 through a .30/06 rifle. I thought they sounded funny but didn't realize what he had done until he left and I picked up his brass. I've picked up more than a couple of 9mm fired in .40 S&W. I think some people shoot .308 in a .30/06 rifle just to show off, or convince themselves it can be done.

Hannibal
07-21-2023, 08:41 PM
I watched a man shoot a whole box of 25/06 through a .30/06 rifle. I thought they sounded funny but didn't realize what he had done until he left and I picked up his brass. I've picked up more than a couple of 9mm fired in .40 S&W. I think some people shoot .308 in a .30/06 rifle just to show off, or convince themselves it can be done.

Given the headspace measurement issue between a .308 and 30-06 I can't comprehend how that's possible.

Mk42gunner
07-21-2023, 09:44 PM
Given the headspace measurement issue between a .308 and 30-06 I can't comprehend how that's possible.

Two thoughts as to how it can happen, relatively safely:
1. If the rifle has a Mauser style claw extractor, more than likely it will hold the case firmly enough for firing. or,

2. The .308 is tapered slightly less than the .30-06, and the case kind of wedges itself into the chamber providing enough resistance to the blow of the firing pin.

Once the powder charge lights off, the brass case expands and provides the seal it is supposed to, so no huge rifle wrecking volume of high pressure gas comes back towards the shooter.

Still not a safe thing to do in my opinion.

Robert

45_Colt
07-22-2023, 01:31 AM
.32 ACP also feeds and fires in a .380 Colt. Lots of fire and brimstone comes back at the shooter, but it does fire...

45_Colt

georgerkahn
07-22-2023, 07:23 AM
Found this in a pile of brass from a shooting range. 9mm fired in a 40s&w chamber.
Wasn’t me that did it.

Yikes!

Well, as usual, I can’t load the photo. Sure wish someone on here could tell me why I “ don’t have permission to perform this operation”!! Refresh the page or login again to perform this operation. I’m already logged in, or else I wouldn’t be able to post this!

Years back a fellow at range inquired if I'd check out his 30-30 Winchester 94 as he couldn't hit "the wall of a barn at ten feet" with it. I took it from him and was just about to put it behind seat in my truck when I smiled, and inquired if I might see the ammo he was using, as this may have an effect? Yup! As I discerned as I was about to put rifle in my vehicle, it was marked for .32 Winchester Special -- and he had been firing .30-30 ammo in it. :) He told me it was his aunt's rifle, who had gifted it to him, and it was ALWAYS called a "thirty-thirty" -- he had never looked.
geo

Hick
07-22-2023, 08:40 PM
I have a small collection of similar cases. Just about any rimless cartridge that can be loaded in a magazine has had someone careless trying to fire it in a larger or longer caliber. The ammo feeds up under the extractor which holds it just well enough to allow the primer to detonate. Just a reminder that there are all kinds of people out there.

Kestrel4k
07-22-2023, 10:52 PM
+1 on IrFanView

And yes on 308Win in an M1 Garand - all reports are that it works quite well.

Misery-Whip
07-23-2023, 12:16 AM
Grandpa had an old 06 that was loaned out and was returned loaded with 308. They didnt get to borrow it again.

KenT7021
07-23-2023, 02:51 PM
One night in1968 my unit supplied a Vietnamese Marine unit armed with .30-06 caliber weapons with linked 7.62 NATO ammo.They knew how to use it and were happy to get it.

LeonardC
07-23-2023, 03:25 PM
Years back a fellow at range inquired if I'd check out his 30-30 Winchester 94 as he couldn't hit "the wall of a barn at ten feet" with it. I took it from him and was just about to put it behind seat in my truck when I smiled, and inquired if I might see the ammo he was using, as this may have an effect? Yup! As I discerned as I was about to put rifle in my vehicle, it was marked for .32 Winchester Special -- and he had been firing .30-30 ammo in it. :) He told me it was his aunt's rifle, who had gifted it to him, and it was ALWAYS called a "thirty-thirty" -- he had never looked.
geo

Our "family gun" was a M94 in .32WS. My first hunting gun was a M54 in 30-30. My Father made sure I knew the difference! Way back when Hunter Safety had 10 rules for gun safety; one of them was to always compare the ammo to the barrel stamp.

I always cringe when someone says just resize 30-30 brass to use in a .32WS. Yes, it works but I think it's a bad practice.

Budzilla 19
07-23-2023, 04:54 PM
Minerat,USCRA112, thank you,I appreciate the answers on the file problem!!!

This must have been some under-stress reloading training drill to get that mistake. Eye protection is a must in any shooting training! You break low 1on a skeet field, without eye protection, you’ll learn fast about eye protection and it’s value!
RayBan Kalichrome shooting glasses saved my vision that day. I thought y’all would appreciate this little picture! Be safe.

atr
07-23-2023, 05:45 PM
I have found similar on the range here. I honestly believe there are some who should not own firearms.

Harter66
07-23-2023, 06:38 PM
I picked up a steel case 223 once that had a vague resemblance to a baseball glove in a bunch of 6.8SPC brass .

The 308 shoulder is in fact large enough to jam space in an 06' . The .400+- that it's short leaves a case with about half of the 06' shoulder on it . The bullet is in the neck so there's no significant chance for it to tip or jam .

Rockindaddy
07-23-2023, 06:55 PM
Went to a small shooting spot with my father who was in his 80's and still deer hunting. He wanted to take a couple of shots with his ole deer rifle before opening day of the buck season. While we were there a couple of "Googens" showed up to shoot their rifles too. They both had Winchester 1894's. The one fellow shot his thirty-thirty and put most of his rounds through a 50' pistol target at 70 yards. The other shooter only had one round out of five go through his target. He adjusted his elevator step on his rifle's rear buckhorn sight. Five more rounds and no hits! After shooting up his thirty-thirty ammo and some of his buddies, they decided to drive to town to get some "fresh" ammo. The shooter was so disappointed with his marksmanship he would have sold that Winchester for $100. My father wanted to leave. But I asked the shooter if I could see his rifle. He promptly handed it over. Sure enough it was a 32 Winchester Special. Ray Charles could have seen the caliber markings on the barrel. Told the shooter he might want to buy a box of 32Win Special and his accuracy would improve. Never stuck around till they returned. But it's easy to make that mistake. At least the 30-30 cases just fire formed to 32WS specs.

redhawk0
07-24-2023, 12:38 PM
+2 for irfanview

If you open the picture...go to the image pulldown and select resize/resample

Also...you can easily crop an image by dragging the mouse to draw a box...then Cntl-Y will "cut it" out of the original picture....then just save it...(that's how I created the attached picture...saved at 117k size)

[EDIT] - OK...the 117k is on PC disk...but it uploaded to this forum as 30.5k...so the forum must do some sort of compression)

You can also save the resolution to a smaller resolution to keep it in that 200K range.

BTW...that's one ugly 9mm case....I've only tried shooting 30-30 in a 303Sav rifle to "make" some brass converstion...well....it was a little bulged, but usable for one or two more firings....now 303 Sav is being made by several companies...so I stocked up on brass.

redhawk

TD1886
07-24-2023, 01:07 PM
Ran into a high school friend deer hunting with his son. His son had just bagged a Buck. He complained about the rifle really kicking bad. It was a military 8mm 98 Mauser. I said what ammo you shooting. He pulled a hand full of 35 Remingtons out of his pocket!! Guess the claw caught the rim and held it good enough to fire it. I thought I'd like to have seen that bullet, wow, it must have been really long getting swaged down. Later at home I tried a 35 Rem in my Mauser thinking maybe the bullet would be touching the neck in the chamber and not chamber. Nope it fit. Crazy stuff.

Jtarm
07-24-2023, 05:42 PM
I’ll have check around the reloading room to see if I still have the 9mm-.40 round I created when a 9mm case got mixed in with my .40 brass.

I think the round has real potential.

Texas by God
07-24-2023, 07:04 PM
I’ll have check around the reloading room to see if I still have the 9mm-.40 round I created when a 9mm case got mixed in with my .40 brass.

I think the round has real potential.

Call it the WideMouth10!
My first BIL was shooting a Ruger m77 .270 from our bench. An open box of .243 was also on the bench.
Yep. He did it.
We saw him staring hard at the brass he’d just extracted. It was straightwall with a rough looking neck.
Amazingly the .243” bullet must have used used it’s .277”OD neck as a sabot- because the shot landed only 2” away from the other shots!
All the new to guns people (and some old to guns) make me nervous with .300 BO in a .223 scenarios.
Way back when, a fellow poor country boy and I shot a box of 16 gauge shells in my little Savage 94 TWELVE gauge single shot courtesy of a pocket full of o-rings.
They patterned fine but the hulls looked bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtknowles
07-24-2023, 09:50 PM
Cellphone cameras seem to default to the highest resolution, creating giant files. Possibly you can change this in the app. I don't use my phone for pictures, so can't offer more than that.

I wash image files through a freeware program, called IrFanView. It takes some learning, but you can do a number of things that will reduce file size. Cropping borders is one, and even if you don't do that you can dictate the file size when saving.

I just open the picture in MS Paint and crop and resize. I have other programs that can do this too but MS Paint is the simplest.
Tim

TD1886
07-24-2023, 10:24 PM
I just open the picture in MS Paint and crop and resize. I have other programs that can do this too but MS Paint is the simplest.
Tim

Imgur isn't bad and it's free.