PDA

View Full Version : BP containers

cajun shooter
02-11-2009, 08:35 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any Goex BP cans that are empty. I'm looking for some 2F CANS SO THAT I WOULD NOT HAVE TO RELABEL. I'm thinking of using them in my shop for a project.

Don McDowell
02-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Be careful here. It is forbiddend to ship those bp cans . Altho I know of nothing saying they can't be exchanged in a face to face deal.

SharpsShooter
02-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Be careful here. It is forbiddend to ship those bp cans . Altho I know of nothing saying they can't be exchanged in a face to face deal.

Surely you jest Don. Empty cans are hazmat? Residue issue perhaps??

SS

Don McDowell
02-11-2009, 11:12 AM
No, not jesting. Surprised the snot out of me also.
This same thing came up,someone who had bought one of the 25 lb bags of powder, wanting to get cans so he didn't have to deal with the bag.
Bill Bagwell informed the board its a violation of something or nudder to send empty cans thru common carrier. And unless you have an explosives license of some sort its against the law to repackage black powder.

jackley
02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
They sell "Vintage" empty cans of black powder on fleabay all the time.

Jerry

Springfield
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I "repackage" BP everytime I dump it into the hopper, and again when I put it into the cases. I'm pretty sure he meant repackage for resale, otherwise reloading would be illegal.

waksupi
02-11-2009, 12:07 PM
This sounds like a wonderful law to ignore.

oneokie
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Have to ask, are you planning on repackaging powder? Breaking down a large lot of powder to smaller quanties?

If so, check with your local paint store. Sherwin-Williams® comes to mind. A good paint store should have new, pint and quart sized, empty rectangular cans with screw-on caps, similar to the metal powder cans. Use a marker to label the cans with the brand, granulation size, lot #, when repackaged.

Wayne Smith
02-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I have a couple of cans, but not sure if 2F or 3F. I'll be home tonite and check, post in the AM tomorrow?

Don McDowell
02-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Well boys here it is read it for yourself
http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12502&highlight=empty+powder+cans

Springfield
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I would have preferred a link to the BATFE regs. I can legally ship ammo, as long as the package is marked ORM-D, and UPS brings me my BP in a cardboard box, so I know it can be shipped. I can't legally sell BP, but I'm pretty sure empty cans are not a problem. Yes, they are empty, and I will wash them out to be sure. And no, they won't go by air.

cajun shooter
02-11-2009, 03:37 PM
If I take powder out of a bag and put it in a can so that I can put it in a powder measure, I'm breaking the law. That's absurd!! If that was true then every time you put powder in a measure or cartridge you are breaking the law. Heck I guess we all are going to jail!!

Don McDowell
02-11-2009, 03:46 PM
If I take powder out of a bag and put it in a can so that I can put it in a powder measure, I'm breaking the law. That's absurd!! If that was true then every time you put powder in a measure or cartridge you are breaking the law. Heck I guess we all are going to jail!!

Little on the hystreonic side don't you think?:roll:

What he's talking about is taking bulk powder and repackaging it in different containers. Not quite the same thing as loading cartridges, filling a powder measure or a powder horn, but whatever floats yer boat.:confused:

You do know who Bill Bagwell is ?, and why his word might be considered very solid on your original question?

Lead pot
02-11-2009, 03:57 PM
If you would send empty powder cans and the package would be opened for inspection and there is some powder dust or a granule or two I would say that you would be in trouble.

Don McDowell
02-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Exactly , shop projects can wait until such time as a feller has attended enough shoots and gathered empty cans from his friends, and not take a chance on putting those "friends" in friendly conversations with the good ol boys down at the ATFE.

cajun shooter
02-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Well Mr. Mc Dowell, I'm glad that you have a running account of how many shoots that I've been too and that My intentions are trying to have people run afoul of the law. If the empty can is such a problem, may I ask you what you do with your emptys Sir? If you threw one away and some small child got ahold of it and harmed himself then it would be your behind in trouble. I just love it when people seem to know what a person has in their mind and what I mean when I say shop project. I don't think my life has come to the point where I will let others tell me when or how I do projects on my property. So where does every body throw those dangerous cans? Also if you are trying to use large words to impress then the correct spelling would be nice. hystreonic ; did you mean histronic meaning theatrical or display of emotion for effect.

jhrosier
02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Last time I was at the range with some BP shooters, they were using ordinary powder cans with a spout to pour their charges. I would think that this would make a powder can into a powder flask. Then there was a time when I took BP out of a can and put it into another can that fit my shooting kit better. They were both powder cans, before and after, except for one that was a powder can sometimes and a flask others.
I have not seen anyone toting a 25 pound bag of powder around to load their gun, yet.
This whole business is just silly and I would expect that the gubbermint has better things to do than keep track of folks pouring their powder from one container to another. At least I would hope so.

On the other hand, if the point was that once you have used the contents of a powder can, you can never refill it, sell it, ship it, or give it away, well that's silly too.

Jack

Don McDowell
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Well Mr. Mc Dowell, I'm glad that you have a running account of how many shoots that I've been too and that My intentions are trying to have people run afoul of the law. If the empty can is such a problem, may I ask you what you do with your emptys Sir? If you threw one away and some small child got ahold of it and harmed himself then it would be your behind in trouble. I just love it when people seem to know what a person has in their mind and what I mean when I say shop project. I don't think my life has come to the point where I will let others tell me when or how I do projects on my property. So where does every body throw those dangerous cans? Also if you are trying to use large words to impress then the correct spelling would be nice. hystreonic ; did you mean histronic meaning theatrical or display of emotion for effect.

Well David here's the deal I have a fairly large number of cans stored. Some of them even go back to the Du Pont, and Gearhart Owen markings.
I was in the process of sending you a pm to see if you were planning on doing anything like the Quigley or Alliance, Raton, etc. If you were I would have been tickled to death to of given you those cans, or at any other place where we might have been able to meet.
In view of your last tyrade, well never mind.:roll:

Baron von Trollwhack
02-11-2009, 07:24 PM
As far as I know , 1 pound GOEX cans 1-2-3-4 F are all the same, with the vendor using a magic marker on the bright top to indicate after opening a case. I'd be happy to send you a couple, you reimburse me for postage, er, UPSage. I have some of all. pm if you like.

BvT

Lead pot
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Right now I have 9 shipping cases full of empty Goex cans stacked on the upper deck in my shed.
I figure by the time my great grand Kids are old enough they can sell them for antiques like I did with the Green Mountain Powder cans.

cajun shooter
02-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Mr McDowell goes by Ranch 13 on the Open Range site as I go by Fairshake which is my CAS handle. He came over there and posted the same mis-information about my request. He was set straight by Dutch Bill about the fact that the shipping of empty cans that once contained BP is "NOT IILEGAL" You just need to wash them well with hot water. The internet is a valuable tool but some people choose to use it to spread false information and then run away without care that they have done wrong. Dutch Bill is a mentor of mine and if you want to see his posting go to the Open Range Dark Side forum. If you have a intrest in BP then read some of his postings as it is most valuable. Later David AKA Cajun Shooter AKA Fairshake

Don McDowell
02-12-2009, 10:45 AM
David if you're going to carry a chip on your shoulder , just make it a small one, and not that damned 12ft saw log you're trying to carry now. That way you'll really know if someone tried to knock it off , or if you just stumbled and fell from the weight of the thing.

Don McDowell
02-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Bytheby, here's a link to the thread where Bill Knight really set me straight.http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=6220.new;topicseen#new

John Boy
02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Sure is nice to hear that there is 'Peace in the Valley' again. :drinks:
David, I would oblige you but even with a few grains left in the Goex cans, I am in short supply of empties. They goes straight to the recycling container in the back yard for the fellas to pick up on Tuesday.

trevj
02-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Is it just me, or has there been a link removed from the "conversation" on the Shiloh site?

As a cite for a reference as to the how and why it should be a bad thing to send Powder Cans, it seems to fall a bit short on substance.

Anyone care to clarify? Or is this fallout from an interpersonal thing?

Cheers
Trev

Don McDowell
02-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Don't look like any links removed to me.
Rdnck the poster on Shiloh, is a consultant to Goex powder co. I know him well enough to know he doesn't hand out bumskinny.
If there is an interpersonal thing going on around here it's pretty onesided, cuz I wasn't aware of it .:roll::drinks:

cajun shooter
02-13-2009, 07:55 AM
On the Open Range site as well as Dutch Bill there is John Boy. He stops by on this site at times. He also has a ton of information posted that every BP shooter should read. Of most interest is his testing of the static effect on BP and his postings on Eezox and his pics of different firings of primers. If you have a intertest in BP then the postings that are on this site are a must read. Later David