PDA

View Full Version : Web Mag Pouch Question

challenger_i
07-21-2023, 01:59 PM
Not a rifle question, but associated...

I have three new, (very!) old stock web magazine pouches for the MAS 49.
The pockets are a bit on the tight side, and I would like to open them up.
They appear to be cotton webbing, rather than synthetic. I am open to suggestions.

wilecoyote
07-21-2023, 04:51 PM
prepare insert or inserts in plastic or wood slightly oversized compared to your needs, and rounded at the edges of the first entry, in order to facilitate insertion_ immerse the pouches in warm water and insert the inserts while the whole is in hot water. then let it dry. when everything is dry, the pouches should have taken on the necessary internal volume

challenger_i
07-21-2023, 05:04 PM
Any issues with the webbing deteriorating or mildewing? I had considered the warm water method but was concerned about deterioration.

Thank you for responding!

elmacgyver0
07-21-2023, 05:14 PM
Let them dry out in a low humidity area, probably best not in the hot sun, definitely not in a humid basement.

wilecoyote
07-21-2023, 05:22 PM
once the cotton is well dried in the sun or in any case in a ventilated environment, I've never encountered any problems.
another option can be to use square pieces of wet bar soap, first, in the same way, to progressively enlarge without ruining the texture

challenger_i
07-21-2023, 05:33 PM
Well, I suppose I could make my form blocks from beeswax: maybe sitting in the Sun, some will migrate into the webbing... :)

elmacgyver0
07-21-2023, 05:36 PM
I would go with the wood, but your choice.

wilecoyote
07-21-2023, 05:52 PM
I would go with the wood, but your choice.

...+1