PDA

View Full Version : cell phone

abunaitoo
07-21-2023, 01:20 PM
Good friend is here for a visit.
Missed yacking with him.
He's never had a cell phone, and never want's one.
Must be nice.
I have one, but almost never answer it.
Old flip phone.
Only use it when I take my cat to the vet.
I do not text.
Don't even know how.
These days everyone "assumes" everyone has one.
So how many here don't have a cell phone???

square butte
07-21-2023, 01:23 PM
I have one, But it has a rotary dial

danmat
07-21-2023, 01:30 PM
I am sorry to say I have 2 of them,1 for my business and a personal one.
They are necessary evils in my life.

metricmonkeywrench
07-21-2023, 02:45 PM
once i retire i may consider my electronic leash needs, but for today there just seems to be no way around them.

What is astounding is that almost all of the time folks assume you have one to do "xyz" to make it easier on them

In my mind most are tracking apps to keep tabs on what I'm doing, which is why there is the big push for cashless apps.

tchepone
07-21-2023, 03:03 PM
I worked in the telephone industry most of my life; I had one because it was provided and required for business. The day I retired I left it on my desk and never looked back. I don't intend to have another ever.

pete501
07-21-2023, 03:06 PM
No cell phone here. Never had one. Landline number is unlisted and I get zero sales calls.

Even my family doesn't call me.

swamp
07-21-2023, 03:14 PM
I don't have one. People look at me like I have two heads when I tell them.
swamp

porthos
07-21-2023, 03:21 PM
well, i am 75 years old and i have a cell phone. some of you guys can be as stubborn as you want; but the facts are that a phone in your pocket is a very convenient item to have. it can and will get you out of trouble in a emergency. and, there are no more pay phones along the road to use. keep fighting the use of one; those of us that have a cell phone don't care.

Lloyd Smale
07-21-2023, 03:26 PM
mine sits on the table at home. only time i carry it is going to camp or heading out alone in crappy weather. wife on the other hand might as well have it implanted

TD1886
07-21-2023, 03:46 PM
You fellows that don't have a cell phone, do you have a car or are you still riding a horse? Hey, Hey I'm only kidding, honest to God. It took me a long time to get a cell phone, but I don't think I would like to be without one now. I have a friend that just got on and I lost big money on betting he would never get one. In fact Verizon is giving him a big bonus and award for being the "last man" in the U.S. to get a cell phone! Hey I'm kidding again, but he did get a cell phone and I was shocked. He doesn't know how to use it LOL LOL. I told him look it up on Google or YouTube. Verizon seen him coming and had a big surf rod out and reeled him in. I asked how much it paid for it and he said they gave it to me free. I could hardly talk I was laughing so hard, but I explained to him what free meant.

MUSTANG
07-21-2023, 03:54 PM
I have one; been in or around the Telecomm/IT world for almost 5 decades. They are a tool; and one I only want to use infrequently. If there is a critical issue requiring someone to contact me - use it - if not then leave me alone as I am not chatty and don't talk on cell phone/speaker phone/house or office phone/radio unless there is a real need. Same goes for "Meetings"; only if there is a need and "Progress" can be had by having one.

Last week my wife had friends from here college years visiting; both had cell phone addiction. Continual ring tones because of a Text received or an incoming phone call. Of course; they HAD TO TEXT OR CALL BACK continually. As we traveled into the wilds of Montana and Cell Service outage predominated - it was blissful silence; but there was Cell Phone withdrawal evident for both ladies.

deces
07-21-2023, 04:05 PM
That attitude will never cut it in today's dating world. If you are married, don't ever let her go.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-21-2023, 04:25 PM
I have a iPhone, got it in 2018 after a road/vehicle emergency when I didn't have one. I rarely use it for anything, except if I am on the road. My time expires in 2 weeks, I am considering ending the service, or re-upping for another year for $125. Not sure yet, what I'm gonna do?
Prior to that, I didn't have any cell phone...except for about 6 months back in 2009 when I was dating this chick, she said I had to have one. When we broke up, I traded that phone for a bag of fish...Best swap I ever did.

pworley1
07-21-2023, 04:27 PM
My phone is much more than a way to talk to someone. It is my Bible, watch, camera, game console, library, flashlight, calculator, internet and TV.

elmacgyver0
07-21-2023, 05:04 PM
I don't own one, but I do carry one.
My work supplies it and I use for personal, no way I would carry two of the things around with me.
One thing to keep in mind, do not say anything around them that you do not want to make public, the mics are always hot.
No one may be listening, but the ability is still there.
Have you noticed, you can't remove the batteries anymore?

1eyedjack
07-21-2023, 06:24 PM
Battery died on the car today sitting in the oncologist parking lot as wonderful rain fell from the sky looked under the hood checked for loose cables etc jumped back in the car wondering who to call when a fine young man waved asked did we need a jump? Yes please! Better than the cell phone anytime! Thanks God & that stranger

blackthorn
07-21-2023, 06:30 PM
I have (reluctantly) a flip cell phone. I got it to get my wife and kids off my back. I only turn it on when I am out in the shop or traveling. I do use it for long distance calls as it has unlimited Canada calls included in the monthly cost ($32). At my last job (contract work) the gal running the place told me (half-way through the contract) that I would have to get e Blackberry. I asked her why? and she said so she could get hold of me, to which I replied that I was at my desk from 8AM to 4 PM Monday to Friday. She replied; so that she could get me on weekends. My answer was that I did not work weekends! Never got another contract, but that was OK with me.

MaryB
07-22-2023, 12:56 PM
I have one... being disabled if I have a breakdown it is a must to get help.

schutzen-jager
07-22-2023, 01:03 PM
No cell phone here. Never had one. Landline number is unlisted and I get zero sales calls.

Even my family doesn't call me.

same here - been getting average of 6+ scam calls daily - wonder why wife has been paying ecxtra for unlisted number for over 5 decades - have 15 year old razor flip phone + only a few people have the number -

Winger Ed.
07-22-2023, 02:10 PM
In fact Verizon is giving him a big bonus and award for being the "last man" in the U.S. to get a cell phone! .

Nah. So far, I'm still in the running for that distinction.

Back in the 80s, I never even got a beeper, even when they were $1. a month.

imashooter2
07-22-2023, 02:16 PM
Couldn’t live without one. You never know where you’re going to have to check on the average rainfall in the Amazon basin.

Electrod47
07-22-2023, 02:19 PM
I am sorry to say I have 2 of them,1 for my business and a personal one.
They are necessary evils in my life.

Ditto Here........still miss my old Blackberry

GregLaROCHE
07-22-2023, 04:32 PM
There is no longer landline service where we live. Cell phones can’t get a signal inside the house and you have to walk a ways outside to get a signal. Luckily, my wife and I both have iPhones and can communicate with WIFI, by way of our satellite internet. It’s not 100% certain, but works most of the time.

deces
07-22-2023, 04:47 PM
There is no longer landline service where we live. Cell phones can’t get a signal inside the house and you have to walk a ways outside to get a signal. Luckily, my wife and I both have iPhones and can communicate with WIFI, by way of our satellite internet. It’s not 100% certain, but works most of the time.

It must be nice not having to look a telephone poles everywhere in France.

elmacgyver0
07-22-2023, 05:32 PM
Watching the evolution of cell phones is interesting.
They started out as big clumsy things they called Bag Phones, then as the technology progressed they got smaller and smaller until they were so small they could slip in your shirt pocket and you hardly knew they were there. Then they went to flip phones with little postage sized screens so you could take a picture.
Then they decided to incorporate a PDA into the package, and we had the Blackberry. After that they made them bigger and ditched the keyboard and made the screens touch sensitive.
Now they keep getting bigger and bigger, soon they be carried on the shoulder like the old boom boxes.
At some point they will probably put wheels on them so you can drive them to the store, that is unless they turn them into implantable chips.

deces
07-22-2023, 05:51 PM
They started out as big clumsy things they called Bag Phones, then as the technology progressed they got smaller and smaller until they were so small they could slip in your shirt pocket and you hardly knew they were there. Then they went to flip phones with little postage sized screens so you could take a picture.
Then they decided to incorporate a PDA into the package, and we had the Blackberry. After that they made them bigger and ditched the keyboard and made the screens touch sensitive.
Now they keep getting bigger and bigger, soon they be carried on the shoulder like the old boom boxes.
At some point they will probably put wheels on them so you can drive them to the store, that is unless they turn them into implantable chips.

They keep getting bigger because people are burning out their eyes from the ultraviolet exposure and can't read the smaller text anymore.

MUSTANG
07-22-2023, 05:54 PM

You forgot the 1960/1970 era car phone! Took up half the trunk.

Minerat
07-22-2023, 06:11 PM
I started with a brick phone in my truck. Now have a note 20 5g. I can write on the screen, make sketches of job sites. Take pictures of bench marks or survey pins so I can look them up later and even catch an elk crossing a stream or a nice sunset.

I learned long ago that it did not answer itself and had a silent mode. It only runs your life if you let it. And if someone wants to listen in on me, they will get bored real fast. I got nothing to hide nor do I care if they are tracing me, I wear my tinfoil hat so I'm safe.

Shawlerbrook
07-22-2023, 06:18 PM
I find my iPhone invaluable. Use it to check weather radar and text with my hunting partners. It’s like having a computer in your pocket. Need to look up a repair on YouTube. Can chat with my brothers and sisters here and on other sites from anywhere. There are many modern technologies that are a waste, but a smart phone is a valuable tool.

15meter
07-22-2023, 11:01 PM
I've had one for 25+ years. Wouldn't want to go without one now. I use it to keep in touch with family and buddies. I use it for my convenience, arrange meeting to shoot, iceboat, boat, motorcycle ride, go to the bar or just generally have fun. Only know one guy without a cell phone, and he whines about being left out fun stuff.

They are a tool, I roam out a fair amount. It's certainly handy.

jonp
07-22-2023, 11:15 PM
Got one for my work as my company uses an online service for our logs. I've found it much easier to use reading kindle unlimited than a tablet

gc45
07-23-2023, 01:38 AM
Have lots of reasons to have my smart phone, they are all good like talking to my kids and grandkids. I I refuse to wear an earbud like so many are these days but have no issue using blue tooth in my vehicles, very nice actually.

MrWolf
07-23-2023, 08:18 AM
I started with a brick phone in my truck. Now have a note 20 5g. I can write on the screen, make sketches of job sites. Take pictures of bench marks or survey pins so I can look them up later and even catch an elk crossing a stream or a nice sunset.

I learned long ago that it did not answer itself and had a silent mode. It only runs your life if you let it. And if someone wants to listen in on me, they will get bored real fast. I got nothing to hide nor do I care if they are tracing me, I wear my tinfoil hat so I'm safe.

Agreed. Verizon blocks the vast majority of spam calls so no complaints there. We put up a 42' cell tower before the phone/internet provider would acknowledge that there was service to my place. I just put a piece of blue painters tape over the camera on my tablet and notebook (I really do). They can take all the pics they want that way.

bedbugbilly
07-23-2023, 08:41 AM
I got a flip phone years ago out of necessity - taking care of elderly parents which required one so I could be contacted 24/7 if there was a problem and needed it for farm business . . .

My wife "updated" me a few years ago to a "smart phone" - I use it very little . . . and would miss it very little if it wandered away and got lost . . . but my bride thinks I need one 'cause I'm old, "just in case" . . . .

What I find odd, is that there are so many ways to "communicate" today - young folks spend so much time with their nose glued to their phones, yet most don't know the first thing about "communicating"! Think not? Try and get a plumber, electrician, contractor, etc. to call you back.

Somehow, we all seemed to manage just fine with a rotary phone and get along just fine, I often wonder what the young ones would do if cell phones had such a thing as a "party line"! :-)

Handloader109
07-23-2023, 09:02 AM
I hated mine when I was having to answer at 2am when something broke or an employee wasn't gonna make work. But now that all that is past, I use for my small business, have a second line on the phone, and I answer only during business hours. Can text, send message and receive and send pictures and drawings on it. Hard to do that from my mower, or when away from my computer. Handy device. It is just another tool.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

MUSTANG
07-23-2023, 09:05 AM
As an additive item:

A couple of years ago our #2 son who works in Silicon Valley got mom a "Smart Watch". She uses it to track her walking distance every year, calories burned, etc... Back in June she tripped and fell at the front door. That watch started talking to her and indicated "You have fallen. Do you need assistance?" She did not say anything or punch a response in on the watch; it then told her "You have fallen - I will call 911 unless you respond immediately!"

On the one hand that is useful for those getting more seasoned; but on the other hand - "I am not comfortable with a technology device monitoring and reporting on people". I can just see a pro-footballer forgetting their i-watch when they take the field; and on the 1st play, 911 being called and the Ambulance people running around the stadium to find the person "Who just fell".

steve urquell
07-23-2023, 09:15 AM
As someone directionally challenged Google maps navigation on the phone has opened up a world I never would have found without it. I can now hook the phone to my wife's Maverick truck and navigation is on the big dash display. Love it.

georgerkahn
07-23-2023, 09:24 AM
well, i am 75 years old and i have a cell phone. some of you guys can be as stubborn as you want; but the facts are that a phone in your pocket is a very convenient item to have. it can and will get you out of trouble in a emergency. and, there are no more pay phones along the road to use. keep fighting the use of one; those of us that have a cell phone don't care.

At same age as porthos, a few years back my front left tire blew on my pickup as I was going a short 60mph -- truck allllmost flipped, coming down with enough of a thud to bend the now rubber-less rim beyond repair. It, a warm summer day (back then ;)), was in the low 90s and I was about six miles from "civilization". Grumbling vis "if it wasn't for bad luck I would not have any luck at all" I noted -- with bent rubber-less rim -- my truck was toooo close to ground to fit the jack in :( :( :(!!! After but a few minutes an auto passed; stopped; and backed up to my location. I whined my predicament and lady said, "no problemo". Taking her cellular telephone from her purse she asked whom I wished to call. Neither of us had any idea re the service station's telephone number, so she called her hubby who looked it up. Now, with the number she dialed station and handed my her 'phone.
Fifteen minutes later (mechanic could not get jack underneath either) my truck was in tow to station, and I was sitting next to driver in the tow-truck's air conditioned cab.
After ascertaining no undercarriage damage and the purchase of a new tire and used rim -- my next stop was to Wal*Mart where I purchased a TracPhone cellular telephone.
Now -- many years later -- I have two cells -- an Apple iPhone 14PLUS and an Apple 7 --- one with AT&T, the other Verizon service. I still have vivid memories re the tire-blow -- and NEVER leave home without one.
(Oh -- I might add that at the residence -- I have a land-line and two extensions -- and these are all rotary dial 'phones -- one from the 1920s, and the other two from the 1930s.)
geo

Wag
07-23-2023, 09:43 AM
My smart phone has a lot of my life tied up in it. I'd have withdrawals without it and on the two or three VERY rare occasions when I've left the house without it, it felt like I was running around with no clothes on. For what it's worth, if I don't have pistol on my hip these days, I feel just as undressed.

It gives me access to things I need to know and it makes me more functional. It's a phone, yes, but it also has:

Camera
Video recorder
Message center
email
full blown computer system
meeting room
money / wallet
home and office alarm monitoring
address book
Library
Countless Newspapers
Many magazines
Outliner
Organizer
Calendar
rolodex
Shopping
Tracks my car when I'm not in it
Walkman of assorted types and unlimited music
Shopping
Investing service
movie theater
Internet
Games, if I want 'em
Scientific graphing calculator
Weather station
Fax machine
Gun cataloging system
On line reviews of service providers ()
monitoring of appliances if I want to turn that on
Car mileage tracking and logging
Banking
Reloading recipe book
spreadsheets
word processor / typewriter
Shopping list
Did my last seven real estate transactions on the phone. Only had to sign final p/w in person at the escrow office.

Oh, and if I want to, I can make phone calls, however, in recent years, talking to people is slow, cumbersome and nearly useless. People kinda suck these days though I've been able to get good service from some of them.

If I had to carry all of the above functions around with me all the time, I'd need a truck to do it so there's that.

It gives me a lot of flexibility to have a mobile phone like this. And mine isn't even the top of the line device. I know people who spend over $1,000 a year getting the latest and greatest phone and one of the ones which interests me is $1,700.00.

No way I'm spending that much even though the list above would cost well over that much. I remember buying a video camera for a trip to Hawaii twenty years ago and it was $1,200. And as compact as it was, it was still bulky. Along with the still photo camera which was another $1,000.

So yeah, I buy less stuff. I update this phone about every three years. Sometimes more.

Downsides? You bet there are.

Can't remember phone numbers any more
Occasionally have to recheck my spelling because of text-ese
Don't have to plan ahead.
Tendency to procrastinate and do things last minute.
Slight addiction to the phone though I'm not as bad as some.
Probably others about which I'm in denial! I'll admit it!

Weighing everything in, though, I'm glad I have the phone. I mocked people with the phones as recently as 15 years ago but now? I'd be a lost soul without it.

--Wag--

MaryB
07-23-2023, 12:03 PM
My smart phone has a lot of my life tied up in it. I'd have withdrawals without it and on the two or three VERY rare occasions when I've left the house without it, it felt like I was running around with no clothes on. For what it's worth, if I don't have pistol on my hip these days, I feel just as undressed.

It gives me access to things I need to know and it makes me more functional. It's a phone, yes, but it also has:

Camera
Video recorder
Message center
email
full blown computer system
meeting room
money / wallet
home and office alarm monitoring
address book
Library
Countless Newspapers
Many magazines
Outliner
Organizer
Calendar
rolodex
Shopping
Tracks my car when I'm not in it
Walkman of assorted types and unlimited music
Shopping
Investing service
movie theater
Internet
Games, if I want 'em
Scientific graphing calculator
Weather station
Fax machine
Gun cataloging system
On line reviews of service providers ()
monitoring of appliances if I want to turn that on
Car mileage tracking and logging
Banking
Reloading recipe book
spreadsheets
word processor / typewriter
Shopping list
Did my last seven real estate transactions on the phone. Only had to sign final p/w in person at the escrow office.

Oh, and if I want to, I can make phone calls, however, in recent years, talking to people is slow, cumbersome and nearly useless. People kinda suck these days though I've been able to get good service from some of them.

If I had to carry all of the above functions around with me all the time, I'd need a truck to do it so there's that.

It gives me a lot of flexibility to have a mobile phone like this. And mine isn't even the top of the line device. I know people who spend over $1,000 a year getting the latest and greatest phone and one of the ones which interests me is $1,700.00.

No way I'm spending that much even though the list above would cost well over that much. I remember buying a video camera for a trip to Hawaii twenty years ago and it was $1,200. And as compact as it was, it was still bulky. Along with the still photo camera which was another $1,000.

So yeah, I buy less stuff. I update this phone about every three years. Sometimes more.

Downsides? You bet there are.

Can't remember phone numbers any more
Occasionally have to recheck my spelling because of text-ese
Don't have to plan ahead.
Tendency to procrastinate and do things last minute.
Slight addiction to the phone though I'm not as bad as some.
Probably others about which I'm in denial! I'll admit it!

Weighing everything in, though, I'm glad I have the phone. I mocked people with the phones as recently as 15 years ago but now? I'd be a lost soul without it.

--Wag--

I upgrade when the battery fails... then I buy an about to be discontinued model that came out 3-4 years ago... Usually pay under $100! Brand new phone with warranty.

higgins
07-23-2023, 02:48 PM
We have an Iphone 7 that is our "home phone" and a 4G flip phone that I carry out and about. We've had Verizon service since we had cell phones but I'm considering switching since Verizon has gotten so expensive in the last couple of years. I would rather have a cell phone than a landline - so much handier. Neither of us are enamored with them to the point that we have to have the latest Iphone for the sake of fashion so we end up keeping them for a long time. I believe the frequent trading in and upgrading is what costs some so much money.

elmacgyver0
07-23-2023, 03:12 PM
Cell phones are a lot like cocaine.

HARLOWPARKENFARKER
07-23-2023, 03:12 PM
Never had one, never will. I'm retired, don't need it. Mahalo.

georgerkahn
07-23-2023, 03:56 PM
I upgrade when the battery fails... then I buy an about to be discontinued model that came out 3-4 years ago... Usually pay under $100! Brand new phone with warranty.

Hi MaryB, and I laud (as always) your wisdom! I pay cash for my cellular telephones and bought the (AT&T) Apple iPhone 14PLUS in March (2023). I've had the iPhone 7 for a while, and I have the $14.00 per month plan through Spectrum (Verizon towers) on this device. (I consider this 'phone as like a fire extinguisher -- nice to have, but don't wish to need using it. At camp, there is NO AT&T service, so -- 'specially since I'm kind of handicapped -- should I have an emergency at camp -- WELL worth having).
Anyhoos -- re your post -- the '7''s battery is on the way down, and I'm really giving thought to trading it in. My experience notes Apple issues their new ones in the fall -- hence my thought to up-trade then. Presently (last week!) Spectrum offered me nine U S dollars for my iPhone 7 towards any one of their devices. I can wait...
Vis YOUR post -- might you provide, say, a bit more specific info as to when may be, in your opinion, the time for me to upgrade, and -- I know this is purely subjective -- the model you'd consider as best to trade up to?
Thanks!
geo

Rockindaddy
07-23-2023, 04:46 PM
Am 77 years now! I like my cell phone most of the time. My grandkids ask "hey pap! how did you ever grow up without a cell phone? I get so agitated at the scammers who call from India. They are scamming for information especially if they find out you are over 65 years old. They scam Medicare. It is their national pastime. This country gives India money to be our friend. We should stop all aid to India till their police dismantle the scam call centers. Not having a cell phone and getting daily calls from India scammers would be one reason not to own a cell phone. I ask them if they are having a relationship with their pet goat. Sometimes they get upset and quit calling. I have to take the time to block the fake phone number the scammers call from. I can see why some folks do not want a cell phone.

atr
07-23-2023, 05:01 PM
I have one, and it is a flip phone. I don't text. I hate the 21st century

abunaitoo
07-23-2023, 10:45 PM
I had tmoble, but now I have tracfone.
My old phone was older than time. It was free with the plan.
Got this on free to.
They had a promo and it paid for the flip phone.
Only reason I wanted a new phone is for the camera.
Funny thing is I've never used the camera once.
Got to keep my number.
Pay for minutes to use it.
I buy a $20 card every 90 days.
I almost never use it so I have more minutes than I'll ever use.
Last time I used it was in Mar.
Take my cat first thing in the morning, and staff come out when they see me.
So haven't had to talk to them for anything.
People seem to get addicted to the stupid phone.
It rings for all kinds of things besides calls.
I just don't understand it.
Friend doesn't want one, so the wife can't bother him when he's not home.

MrWolf
07-24-2023, 08:36 AM
I actually forgot my cell phone one day while still working in NJ. The same day the quake hit and there was some minor damages. My kids were trying to reach me. I borrowed a phone to let them know I was OK after trying to remember their cell numbers. Like Geo and others have said, they come in handy and are just a tool. Like the pistol we carry, there when we need it.

rbuck351
07-24-2023, 09:00 AM
I have a flip phone because the wife insisted I have one. Other than to locate her when shopping I make a call a few times a year. There is only four or five people that have my number so if I don't recognize the number it doesn't get answered. Where I live cell reception is very limited so when I'm out and about it doesn't work. I just don't miss not talking on the phone and I don't need games or the net to keep me occupied.

FISH4BUGS
07-24-2023, 10:51 AM
Flip phone and I don't text.
I don't want to be THAT connected.

gwpercle
07-24-2023, 11:30 AM
Never had one, never will. I'm retired, don't need it. Mahalo.

Let's drink to that ... I'll buy the first round ... :drinks:
Gary

MaryB
07-24-2023, 01:22 PM
Hi MaryB, and I laud (as always) your wisdom! I pay cash for my cellular telephones and bought the (AT&T) Apple iPhone 14PLUS in March (2023). I've had the iPhone 7 for a while, and I have the $14.00 per month plan through Spectrum (Verizon towers) on this device. (I consider this 'phone as like a fire extinguisher -- nice to have, but don't wish to need using it. At camp, there is NO AT&T service, so -- 'specially since I'm kind of handicapped -- should I have an emergency at camp -- WELL worth having).
Anyhoos -- re your post -- the '7''s battery is on the way down, and I'm really giving thought to trading it in. My experience notes Apple issues their new ones in the fall -- hence my thought to up-trade then. Presently (last week!) Spectrum offered me nine U S dollars for my iPhone 7 towards any one of their devices. I can wait...
Vis YOUR post -- might you provide, say, a bit more specific info as to when may be, in your opinion, the time for me to upgrade, and -- I know this is purely subjective -- the model you'd consider as best to trade up to?
Thanks!
geo

Every provider has their own deals... have to go and shop online... Just look for a cheap pick... If I can buy one for under $50 I go for it, I hate payment plans... I have Verizon so what I can get is different than what your providers offer...

MaryB
07-24-2023, 01:28 PM
I ignore my phone 99% of the time, spam callers are handled by an app and get hung up on. I only answer people I know... maybe send 10 tests a month...

BUT! It is my phone book, address book, web browser when I am parked on my butt in the doctors office, Kindle reader(I read non stop!), camera for documenting projects I am working on(take pics BEFORE you take it apart, more during disassembly!!!!)... it is a tool.

I detest people who have to text every 2 minutes... my sisters are like that, glued to a phone screen and oblivious to what is going on around them.

GregLaROCHE
07-24-2023, 09:22 PM

I remember once they had cell phones the size of your thumb. They never caught on. They were too small. My first phone was a Motorola flip type. I loved it. When I moved to France, they didn’t have the same technology in Europe at the time. I went for several years, then finally got an iPhone 4s. At the time it was great. I could change the SIM card when I went back to Alaska for a visit, to avoid roaming charges.

Battis
07-24-2023, 10:33 PM
I resisted a smart phone for a long time. Who needs a camera on a phone? I have a camera. When they wash dishes, I'll get one.
But, now I have a "wicked smart" phone that's practically a Swiss Army survival tool. Yep, it has a great camera, a flashlight, maps, weather reports, an alarm, calendar, a clock, a timer, a calculator, photo storage, answering machine, access to the internet, email and about a dozen other features that I have no idea how to use. My wife and I share a gig of data (Xfinity) and it's maybe $30 per month for two phones. I ditched my home phone.
Could I live without the phone and its features...sure, but I don't wanna.

William Yanda
07-25-2023, 06:56 AM
I worked away from home for the first 15 years of this century. I resisted until it became almost impossible to find a pay phone. We had an 800 number that I used to call home and that worked well-when I could find a pay phone. My first cell phone was a flip phone that I kept until the provider forced an upgrade to 4G. Then I had a choice; another flip phone for $125 or a smart phone at no charge.
I find it convenient, when SWMBO is watching "how to kill your husband and get away with it", to plug in the earphones and watch my choice.

Rapier
07-25-2023, 08:27 AM
My first cel phone was a PRC 25, the tool of a Surveyor/FO.

Had 12 incoming lines, a dedicated fax, and a world wide Watts line. Three insurance houses, including an aviation insurance house, that all was 24-7 of problems to solve and constant ringing phones, I love quiet.

When I retired, bought a farm, 30 miles from no where. No cable, no land lines, nada. I have a cel phone that I very rarely ever carry anywhere, just for trips. I hate phones with a passion, I just like the fact that the cel phones take a message. They are a scourge upon the earth.

MaryB
07-25-2023, 12:40 PM
At home my cell phone stays on my desk during the day. Never carry it outside! Outside is my away from technology time!

VariableRecall
07-25-2023, 12:48 PM
Am 77 years now! I like my cell phone most of the time. My grandkids ask "hey pap! how did you ever grow up without a cell phone? I get so agitated at the scammers who call from India. They are scamming for information especially if they find out you are over 65 years old. They scam Medicare. It is their national pastime. This country gives India money to be our friend. We should stop all aid to India till their police dismantle the scam call centers. Not having a cell phone and getting daily calls from India scammers would be one reason not to own a cell phone. I ask them if they are having a relationship with their pet goat. Sometimes they get upset and quit calling. I have to take the time to block the fake phone number the scammers call from. I can see why some folks do not want a cell phone.

I'm a young fellow and at some points I get up to 20 scam calls a day ever since my university had a data breach. It's odd that they would be targeting me in particular for Medicare scams, but I can only hope they don't find out any more info about me. I've tried multiple call blocking apps but with their technology they can spoof(impersonate) almost every number in service so they never run out of numbers to call you on.

Generally, the less you answer them, the less they call, cause I assume they have some sort of tally on the most active numbers, so don't try and provoke them.

GregLaROCHE
07-25-2023, 04:11 PM
I'm a young fellow and at some points I get up to 20 scam calls a day ever since my university had a data breach. It's odd that they would be targeting me in particular for Medicare scams, but I can only hope they don't find out any more info about me. I've tried multiple call blocking apps but with their technology they can spoof(impersonate) almost every number in service so they never run out of numbers to call you on.

Generally, the less you answer them, the less they call, cause I assume they have some sort of tally on the most active numbers, so don't try and provoke them.

If it’s a real problem, can’t you change your number? Of course there’s always the hassle of giving the new one to those who you want to have it.

I’ve gotten tired of all the gmail alerts. I’ve started spamming them. Can you do that with cell phone numbers.

firewhenready7
07-25-2023, 05:48 PM
Would love to get rid of the leash. 10 more months and I retire and the leash will be no more

VariableRecall
07-26-2023, 03:58 PM
If it’s a real problem, can’t you change your number? Of course there’s always the hassle of giving the new one to those who you want to have it.

I’ve gotten tired of all the gmail alerts. I’ve started spamming them. Can you do that with cell phone numbers.

I like my cell phone number too much, and It's hooked up to almost anything I do online for authentication. I may change my number but it's only a matter of time that It gets leaked again and everything is back to square one. I've memorized my old person persona by heart and I instantly break out of character and tell them to get a real job instead.

Iowa Fox
07-28-2023, 10:28 PM
I retired 13 years ago and was on call 24 7 365. I can't begin to tell you how good it felt that last afternoon when I turned in my keys and phone. For the first 5 years I pretty much went into hiding not using any phone. Gradually I started sharing my wifes phone for the kids and grandkids. I have my own iphone 12 now and wouldn't be without it. I only answer the phone or text if its a family member or friend. The free aps are incredible.

farmbif
07-28-2023, 10:46 PM
I saw this study from the big technical university in Australia that said putting the latest greatest cell phone up to your ear and talking a lot has a very similar effect as putting your head in a microwave oven, yeah, just what I need

Murphy
07-28-2023, 11:04 PM
I view a cell phone much the way as any other tool I may need. I don't know too many people these days who still have a land line phone, but I understand the various reasons why some do. I guess the reasons for owning one vary as much as the selection of phones available, and that's a ton of them.

I guess the biggest down side to cell phones, are people more and more losing the art of conversation. Okay, so not everyone is a people person and prefer to be left alone. And that's okay to, each to their own. It's sad when 5-6 friends decide to get together for some quality face to face time, only to end up with 2 of them doing most of the talking, the others are face down in their phone.

Murphy

Murphy
07-28-2023, 11:05 PM
I view a cell phone much the way as any other tool I may need. I don't know too many people these days who still have a land line phone, but I understand the various reasons why some do. I guess the reasons for owning one vary as much as the selection of phones available, and that's a ton of them.

I guess the biggest down side to cell phones, are people more and more losing the art of conversation. Okay, so not everyone is a people person and prefer to be left alone. And that's okay to, each to their own. It's sad when 5-6 friends decide to get together for some quality face to face time, only to end up with 2 of them doing most of the talking, the others are face down in their phone.

Murphy

trapper9260
07-29-2023, 04:46 AM
For me a land line was getting to high price to have one and being on fixed income from being disable it is not easy . Also like said there is no pay phones anymore that I had used in the past. It is not one like to have one but need one , one thing about it if there is calls you do not want , just block them.

MaryB
07-29-2023, 11:47 AM

Murphy

My mom had a rule for family gatherings. ALL cell phones wet in the basket by the door, only exception was for on call phones, and get caught using that for personal use and get the punishment. Brak the rule and do all dishes by hand... for 50+ people! 2 of my nieces learned the hard way...

I hate talking on the phone, I hate texting even more LOL