PDA

View Full Version : Major forend and band looseness - 336

huntinlever
07-20-2023, 06:39 PM
Well, I expect a little bit of play in the forend of the Marlin's, but my son's 336 is extremely loose - so much so, that when you jiggle the forend forward and backward, the band moves with it quite a bit. Someone at some point stripped the band screw and I can't get it out, though I have the replacement screw.

I'm concerned for the integrity of the rifle at this point, but admit my knowledge is extremely limited - I've learned only what I needed to learn, i.e., how to do a trigger sear polish on my 45-70, dropping trigger pull from factory 10 or so to about 4 lbs.

(1) - I don't think this should be fired at this point. Dumb question maybe, but...right? I'm concerned what should happen if the forend just comes completely off.

(2) I've tried different sized screwdrivers, and a rubber band to give some traction, but the existing screw head is stripped and the screw is absolutely frozen. I'm wondering if somehow it's been bent, maybe by the play over the years (it was his grandpa's, before him). Suggestions on getting this thing out?

HWooldridge
07-20-2023, 06:59 PM
First of all, it’s safe to shoot - the forearm is just there to provide comfort for your hand.

With regard to the frozen screw, I would first try to drill out the screw on threaded side of the band. I don’t know whether Marlin used a hardened screw but probably not if the head is stripped. Barring a successful drill job, you could grind off all of the band so the threaded area is removed then drive out what’s left of the screw. Once it’s off, just replace the band with a new one (using the new screw).

huntinlever
07-20-2023, 09:44 PM
First of all, it’s safe to shoot - the forearm is just there to provide comfort for your hand.

With regard to the frozen screw, I would first try to drill out the screw on threaded side of the band. I don’t know whether Marlin used a hardened screw but probably not if the head is stripped. Barring a successful drill job, you could grind off all of the band so the threaded area is removed then drive out what’s left of the screw. Once it’s off, just replace the band with a new one (using the new screw).

Excellent. Many thanks.

MostlyLeverGuns
07-21-2023, 09:57 AM
I have run into more than one Marlin with a barrel band forearm screw that was 'DIFFICULT' to remove. Some times (usually) the forearm barrel band screw has bent over time, probably due to recoil, won't turn without problems. You can just leave it be, removing is difficult as the screw is slender with the threads at the 'head' of the screw with a fine driver slot. If I must remove the barrel band, I usually replace the forearm barrel band screw with something stouter, but drilling, tapping and countersinking are involved. It is just a 'MARLIN' thing.

huntinlever
07-21-2023, 11:53 AM
I have run into more than one Marlin with a barrel band forearm screw that was 'DIFFICULT' to remove. Some times (usually) the forearm barrel band screw has bent over time, probably due to recoil, won't turn without problems. You can just leave it be, removing is difficult as the screw is slender with the threads at the 'head' of the screw with a fine driver slot. If I must remove the barrel band, I usually replace the forearm barrel band screw with something stouter, but drilling, tapping and countersinking are involved. It is just a 'MARLIN' thing.

OK, that's really helpful. Thanks.