PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot a Service model XD in .45?

Triggerhappy
02-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Or any XD for that matter. Just ordered the wife a Tactical 3" in .45 that we'll go pick up late this week. I'm kind of interested in the Service model 4" in .45. I think the main difference is the service model has the thumb safety and the tactical does not.

Wondering what you think of the service model. Does anyone have a preference or input on the dilemma. Wife's would be for carry, which she picked out herself. Mine would be basically a backup for anything else and basically a fun gun to bounce around in the Jeep with. I carry a doublestack 1911 and am quite happy with that.

What are your impressions on the XD. Anybody done any trigger work on theirs?

Thanks

EMC45
02-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Service model-4 inch, Tactical model-5 inch. They do well with cast bullets.

timkelley
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
My Service Mod. XD is pre thumb safety, I shoot the LEE tumble lube 230 TC in it. My XD likes cast if the Boolits are sized to .452. If I don't size, the side of the case mouth sometimes catches on the feed ramp and jambs. Properly sized it just shoots and shoots.

My XDm9 also likes cast.

stumpjumper
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
i like mine, im shooting the lee tc 230 sized to 452. over 4.5 grains of trail boss. i havn`t done any mods. and probably wont because it is my carry gun.

Slogg76
02-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a XD-45 5" tactical model that I carry at work. I was a BIG 1911 fan until I bought my XD-45. Now I have no 1911's. Mine also has the thumb saftey. When I purchased mine they had models with and without the thumb saftey. I was casting 230 round nose bullets and sizing with a Lyman 450, however, this past weekend I casted and shot some Lee 230 grain TC tumble lube bullets and had great results. They dropped from the mould at .452 so I shot them as cast and tumble lubed them with Lee liquid alox. With straight wheel weights they weighed 235 grains and I loaded them over 4.5 grains of Bullseye. Accuracy was good and there was no noticable leading after 100 rounds. I had no jams. Then again, I have not been able to get my XD-45 to jam on anything yet. I hope to pick up a 4" compact XD-45 soon.

Slogg76
02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh, forgot to mention...I was considering trigger work on my XD-45, but it has lightened and smoothed up considerably after putting a few hundred rounds through it. A friend of mine had similar results with his 9mm chambered XD. I would give an XD time to break in before having any trigger work done. The triggers on the newer M models I've handled seem even better.

seabat0603
02-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Everyone tries to make a better 1911 than old Samuel colt. It hasn't happened yet and I don"t think it ever will. They make an officers model for carry by smaller framed folks. My wife loves hers. I hope I didn't open a can of worms, and I hope your XD works for you and your wife.

EMC45
02-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I managed to jam an XD. It was with a 200gr. SWC. It didn't like them at all! Gobbles up Lee 230gr. TC air dropped WW over 4.5gr. Bullseye.

felix
02-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Any good bullseye gun can be beefed up to combat applications. I would order a target model first and foremost and if it cannot shoot very accurately the standard 185-200 target boolits, I would send it back to the factory. Then, if combat was actually desired, then the model can be fitted with stronger springs, recoil aids, etc. ... felix

Willbird
02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
As far as I know they come with or without thumb safety, I would not want a thumb safety myself. The xd-45 is not fond of semiwadcutters, more or less mine will not work with them at all. I have shot 230rn, 200rf, and 230tc lee bullets in it. The 230tc is my favorite. The 200 rf has an unwanted crimp groove that is a pain in the rear. My gun has so far tended to develop a thin smear of lead just ahead of the throat with any cast bullet I have tried.

I just got some 3 round extenders for the 13 round mags, that gives you 17 rounds in the gun.

The xd-45 is not really even geared to be an "improvement" on the 1911 IMHO, it is a completely different gun.

The Tactical xd-45 is a 5" gun, and the service is a 4".....they do not make a 3" subcompact in 45 acp, only 9x19, 357 sig, and 40 short-weak. They DO make the 4" and 5" in a shorter compact grip that accepts a 10 round flush fit magazine or the 13 round mags with a filler to fill the gap between the compact grip and the 13 round mag.

I did send my gun off for trigger work, the benefits are more than a lighter pull, you also get less pre travel too, you can buy the whole trigger job in a kit now from Springer precision.

The M models are said to have improved triggers,also a match quality barrel, but I'm not sold on the 1/2" longer barrel.

Bill

Triggerhappy
02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Willbird,

I stand corrected, you are right. The one we ordered is a 4" with the shorter grip frame.

I am interested in the differences between the model with and without the thumb safety. Is that the only difference? Or are there internal differences as well?

SeaBat,
Don"t get me wrong, I'm still a true believer in the 1911. I own just a few and some variants. Couple of good old Colts 1911 in .45, a Delta in 10mm, couple of Para's in .45 and .38 Super (yeah I know not exactly a 1911) and most recently a Para LDA "Carry 12" in .45 which is my main carry gun. I really like the 1911, but feel the Xd has some merit as well. I won't be throwing the venerable slab-sides out any time soon. That's what will probably be pried out of my hand after I'm gone.

Cheers!

Willbird
02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Willbird,

I stand corrected, you are right. The one we ordered is a 4" with the shorter grip frame.

I am interested in the differences between the model with and without the thumb safety. Is that the only difference? Or are there internal differences as well?

SeaBat,
Don"t get me wrong, I'm still a true believer in the 1911. I own just a few and some variants. Couple of good old Colts 1911 in .45, a Delta in 10mm, couple of Para's in .45 and .38 Super (yeah I know not exactly a 1911) and most recently a Para LDA "Carry 12" in .45 which is my main carry gun. I really like the 1911, but feel the Xd has some merit as well. I won't be throwing the venerable slab-sides out any time soon. That's what will probably be pried out of my hand after I'm gone.

Cheers!

From a quick read at XDtalk it looks like you cannot ADD the thumb safety, not sure about deleting it :-).

I like 1911 myself, but I like 14 rounds of 45 better than 8 :-). I also like a gun I can pull from the holster and press the trigger without flipping any switches first :-).

Bill

Triggerhappy
02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Bill,

I'm used to the thumb safety and prefer it. Don't even notice that it's there, but might find myself looking for it if in a hurry and didn't have it. The wife needs the point and shoot ability more than me.

I think in order to convert to with or without the thumb safety it would take a different frame.

kooz
02-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I have just gone over 3000 rounds in my XD .45 Compact without a cleaning !! and no malfunctions of any kind !! most of the rounds fired have been LEE 230gr TC with 5gr/ww231. I have decided to clean it when I get a chance, but have not done so yet. It amazes me how this gun just keeps working as filthy as it is, and it is pretty accurate also and will pile a magazine full of the above load into about 2" @25yds. I have been very impressed with this gun, so much so that I bought another one just like it . Good luck with your new XD's .

Triggerhappy
02-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the info Kooz. I'll post here about the experience.

Willbird
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I have just gone over 3000 rounds in my XD .45 Compact without a cleaning !! and no malfunctions of any kind !! most of the rounds fired have been LEE 230gr TC with 5gr/ww231. I have decided to clean it when I get a chance, but have not done so yet. It amazes me how this gun just keeps working as filthy as it is, and it is pretty accurate also and will pile a magazine full of the above load into about 2" @25yds. I have been very impressed with this gun, so much so that I bought another one just like it . Good luck with your new XD's .

The spot that I was amazed how much crud accumulated underneath the loaded chamber indicator, I took that out and I swear there was a teaspoon of gunk in there :-).

Bill

seabat0603
02-12-2009, 11:39 AM
You know willbird, if you can't put your target down with 7 rounds or less out of your 1911, then you need to call it quits and buy a baseball bat. Having more bullets doesn't mean you'll have a better chance of hitting your target. It only means you will increase your chances of hitting innocent bi standers. Do you hold your gun sideways when you shoot? lol, just kidding. I have never seen the reasoning behind carrying more than 7 in a magazine. Now I do carry a spare magazine in case my target brought friends.

EMC45
02-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Willbird,
Also saw that accumulated junk on MGD45s XD. I drifted the pin out of his and dental picked out a bunch of crap. Then I kroiled everything. Bullseye and LLA built up something fierce! Locked in the up position. After cleaning and re installation it worked fine.

Triggerhappy
02-13-2009, 06:39 PM
The XD Odyssey has begun, we picked up the wife's new 4" today. I asked them to see if they can get the service model in with the thumb safety for me, we'll see how long that takes. The wife's gets detail stripped, dressed and polished before we shoot it much. May throw a few rounds through it first just to see how it does. It will get a full length guide rod and some trigger work with Springer parts before we go too far. Will post with the results as they happen if anyone's interested.

Triggerhappy
02-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Ok, we took the virgin XD to the shop this evening with a bunch of different loads to see what it liked. Oiled it up well and checked it all out before firing. Started with some 200g SWC pushed by 5.7g of 231. Didn't like those. Not sure if it's a little light for a new gun or what. My Para Carry 12 ate them up and gave me a 2" pattern at 15 yards. Next up were some hardball FMJ's. It liked them just fine and functioned quite well. Lastly we tried some HyraShok 230g JHP's. Ate them up as well.

The wife is quite happy with her decision to buy this pistol for her CCW. It needs a few hundred rounds more before it gets carried but I think it'll be fine. I did notice however that is seemed to blacken the outside of the cases more than any other gun I've ever owned. Wonder if it's a loose chamber so it will function dirty? Never had another pistol have that problem. My Para shot the same ammo and didn't get the marks. I'll mike the chamber to see just how big it is. Could be a coating inside the chamber being left on the brass, don't know. Will look into it though.

The pistol felt very comfortable to shoot for me, even with full power defensive loads. The grip frame was slightly short for my hand but I could live with it. Of course it was fine with the full length magazine. I remember thinking while I was shooting that the pistol felt like a toy gun. Must have been the plastic grip, not used to that.

Did order the Service model in .45 with thumb safety today. Not sure yet how long it will take to come in. I think it would be a good camp gun that I wouldn't worry too much about marring up with the day to day roughness. Also seems more likely to continue banging long after my 1911's have gotten crusty and quit with dirt.

Will be trying the Seico #265 (I think) 210g cast bullet soon to see if that solves the feed problem. I've never had them fail to feed in a .45.

Not sure if this is of any use to anybody, but here it is.

Willbird
02-18-2009, 09:12 AM
You know willbird, if you can't put your target down with 7 rounds or less out of your 1911, then you need to call it quits and buy a baseball bat. Having more bullets doesn't mean you'll have a better chance of hitting your target. It only means you will increase your chances of hitting innocent bi standers. Do you hold your gun sideways when you shoot? lol, just kidding. I have never seen the reasoning behind carrying more than 7 in a magazine. Now I do carry a spare magazine in case my target brought friends.

I just read a report the other day that confirms why I like more than 7 rounds, a Police officer shot a BG 22 times of which 17 were center mass and the guy kept trying to kill him the whole time.

http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-articles/articles/lom/0412/the_peter_soulis_incident.html;jsessionid=10BDC02F 0CF4D0B083E43EA06A47B949pital

Cooper was the original quoter who said he only carried a spare mag so he was not carrying a half empty magazine after a gun fight, the officer in the story in that link would probably be dead if he only had 7 rounds in the gun and no spare magazine ;-)

I did find out the otherday that my xd-45 will run H&G68's seated 1.250 over 4.3 of clays 90% or better(maybe one ftf every 1-2 mags), not perfect but I can shoot them up :-). Having the slide hit the round on the way back and drive it down into the magazine is said to be hard on the mags. The XD problem with semiwadcutter is not a FEEDING problem, it is due to the round being ejected hitting the round in the magazine and driving it back down into the magazine at a 30 degree angle (ugly)...sometimes the round being ejected gets dislodged from the extractor too and ends up stovepiped....a round nose or TC bullet provides a tapered surface for the round being ejected to push the next round down out of the way...or otherwise make accommodations.

I would not feel undergunned with my 1911 and 9 rounds in the gun by any means, but 14 in the gun with two sixteen round mags on me is better for sure.

It will get a full length guide rod and some trigger work with Springer parts before we go too far"

I did have my trigger done by Springer, it is a 4lb trigger and I had him smooth the trigger face, I like it a lot. As I understand it the 4" gun simply does not work with a single spring and guide rod, there is just not room there to get enough spring to do the job and not have coil bind.

Anyway the round on the left is the one that is working for me, there is some room there to play with seating depth a bit too to see if it will work 100%....for me that is not gonna happen because I do not even have a mold for that bullet, let alone a 6 cavity one.

Bill