PDA

View Full Version : Hornady one shot and pc

Jevyod
07-19-2023, 09:57 AM
I cast some Lee .401-175 TC for my 10 mm. They dropped at .403 and I wanted to run them through my push through sizing die. They took tremendous force to push them through, so I hit them with a bit of one shot. I assumed they would prevent the PC from sticking, so I did a quick swirl in acetone. Will this be sufficient to get all the one shot off the bullets?

popper
07-19-2023, 11:30 AM
Don't know what the lube is in one-shot. I did the 'mist' of one-shot and then PC not a problem. A dab (very little) of BLL works, as does H2O (but it can rust the Lee die). Try some without cleaning, about every 10 bullets or so, will lube the die.

Winger Ed.
07-19-2023, 12:21 PM
spray a bit on your hand and if the acetone busts it right off your finger- it will on the boolits too.

Ya might want to do a 'wash & rinse' because it will thin out and wash away the one shot,
but not 'shred' the chemistry of the lubricants in it and maybe leave a residue.

Finster101
07-19-2023, 12:39 PM
Jevyod, I have had no problems getting PC to stick doing the exact same thing as you. If you want to do a double rinse, that's fine, but I think unnecessary.

cwlongshot
07-19-2023, 01:17 PM
Im wondering why such resistance on such a large sizing die for 10mm!!!

I cannot even chamber a .402 in my KKM barrels and sizing such a diameter is always effortless. Im assuming your powder coatbis massively thicker then mine or that it needs be.

To answer wuestion, its how I ise up my one stick. Its a dandy lube for push thru sizing. I shoot allot of "big" 45's in my 450 Bushmaster. (A "small" 45 caliber.)

I spray a couple Blasts into a baggie, add bullets and swirl around to coat. So very light coat is all thats needed. It works very well. Im sizing from about .460 to .454. Very little resistance. Cleaning with dawn dish soap and hot water.

CW

popper
07-19-2023, 01:36 PM
Must be some real hard alloy. I have no problem with the Lee 401 in my Lee sizer.

cwlongshot
07-19-2023, 02:08 PM
I cast many 200WFN in pure lino but dont have size difficulties.
Thinking something else going on.

CW

rockshooter
07-19-2023, 03:51 PM
have you tried sizing after PC? I spritz the PC'd bullets with one-shot before sizing.
Loren

Carrier
07-19-2023, 04:31 PM
have you tried sizing after PC? I spritz the PC'd bullets with one-shot before sizing.
Loren

That’s what I do and works well with no issues.

Jevyod
07-19-2023, 04:50 PM
I wondered about the hard sizing. I have sized other bullets down before with little effort. I am only going .003 down so should be easy I thought. Alloy is coww + a length of solder to aid fill out. Not water dropped sized pretty much immediately after casting.

BJung
07-20-2023, 06:19 PM
I save my Hornady One Shot for my cases. For cast bullets, I use my old lube pad and lube that otherwise doesn't get used. Works great.

Cast10
07-21-2023, 08:58 AM
I use the same mold on my 10mm. I size AFTER PC. I let them cool to around 90 degrees, then spray one shot into the sizer die. When they feel a bit sticky, I’ll shoot a bit more up in the die. I give it a few seconds to dry. Carry on.

cwlongshot
07-21-2023, 10:16 AM
Just to me known and As a rule lube to size pc bullets is NOT REQUIRED. Using a push thru. ESPECIALLY a lee sizer. The sizing band is VERY VERY THIN! You can feel every "rib" or band on your bullets because if that. It is was wide you couldn't feel then. Meaning surface area is VERY small.

PopcornSutton
07-21-2023, 04:30 PM
I lube and size my bullets before I PC, and again after PC.

I use a RCBS lube pad and use their Case Lube II. It is water soluble and I wash them with Dawn to PC. After PC I just roll them in a towel.

Walter Laich
07-21-2023, 06:43 PM
another thing to check with a story

had a batch very hard to size (Lee Classic Cast and Lee push through)

It turns out the press itself was binding up for some reason. either dry or got grit in it or a bit of both

would cycle OK without any "load" on it but try to size a bullet and got very hard to do

oiled all the pivot points + ram and back to easy sizing

hc18flyer
07-25-2023, 04:39 PM
Im wondering why such resistance on such a large sizing die for 10mm!!!

I cannot even chamber a .402 in my KKM barrels and sizing such a diameter is always effortless. Im assuming your powder coatbis massively thicker then mine or that it needs be.

To answer wuestion, its how I ise up my one stick. Its a dandy lube for push thru sizing. I shoot allot of "big" 45's in my 450 Bushmaster. (A "small" 45 caliber.)

I spray a couple Blasts into a baggie, add bullets and swirl around to coat. So very light coat is all thats needed. It works very well. Im sizing from about .460 to .454. Very little resistance. Cleaning with dawn dish soap and hot water.

CW

Is it necessary to clean the 'One Shot' off before loading? Thanks, tom

rockshooter
07-26-2023, 12:41 AM
nope, just load and shoot- one spritz on a pile is all thats needed, just to keep the die slippery-
Loren

cwlongshot
07-26-2023, 11:45 AM
Is it necessary to clean the 'One Shot' off before loading? Thanks, tom

No it is not. I just dont like the feel of greasy bullets. Or everything sticking to them. (Its part of the reason I like Powder Coating. No exposed lube!)

If ya think a Conventional Cast lubed bullet has exposed lube.

CW

TD1886
07-26-2023, 12:03 PM
I can't grasp this that pc bullets stick trying to size them. I've used thousands of them in many different calibers with zero sizing problems. The first time I sized one on my Lyman luber/sizer (without the lube pressure cranked up) I thought my linkage had busted as it sized that easy! Another thing since pc adds diameter I size the my bullets before coating so as not having to size them as much after coating.

firefly1957
08-02-2023, 07:08 PM
On occasion some coated bullets take a lot of effort to push though sizer when it happens I give them a spray of Lanoline/alcohol mix also used as case lube . I leave it on the bullets shoot well for me .

I have sized 45 caliber bullets from .460 after coating to .452 this way with no issues . I also size jacketed .357" bullets to .351" with same press and lube .

rsrocket1
10-10-2023, 09:57 PM
On occasion some coated bullets take a lot of effort to push though sizer when it happens I give them a spray of Lanoline/alcohol mix also used as case lube . I leave it on the bullets shoot well for me .

I have sized 45 caliber bullets from .460 after coating to .452 this way with no issues . I also size jacketed .357" bullets to .351" with same press and lube .

OP is sizing before powder coating. There is no need for that. I always powder coat before sizing. I've even cast, powder coated and sized on the same day even though that's probably frowned upon by some.

Powder coating makes the bullets "glide" through the sizer. Even 3-4 mil oversized bullets go through the sizer with ease. If you get upwards of 6-8 mils over the sizer, you risk scraping the powder coat off the bullets but dropped bullets 1-2 mils over the sizer with another 2-3 mils of of powder coat have never been a problem for me.

hc18flyer
10-10-2023, 11:14 PM
I did run my 358156 with gas checks thru my Lee sizer prior to powder coating. No lube necessary. I hope not to have to size again after pc? Load some for my .357 Maximum rifle to make sure they will chamber. Resize only if necessary.
hc18flyer