PDA

View Full Version : CC30H riding mower

firefly1957
07-19-2023, 08:28 AM
My sister in law was having terrible issues with her 4 year old CC30H mower first it is stalling then it started surging high low RPM with loud knocks from the engine .

Tearing it down I found the engineer that designed it should be fired you need to remove all the trim and seat just to get the carburetor out! The fuel line and carb was full of crud and the automatic choke would not move to the cold position at all not even with ice on it . The red fuel filter only has a fine screen that let the crud though. Removing the float bowl found fine particles in the bowl bottom along with some black material possibly from the "O" ring. Above the needle valve was solid garbage it was hard to figure out how it ran at all. Most of the crud was fine black powder and some was fuel line varnish that looks like plastic . I installed a better Briggs and Stratton filter and had to wash out the fuel tank it had much crud in it .

The thing I am having problems with is that automatic choke that would not close at all . I have looked on Club Cadet and Briggs & Stratton ( B&S 10.5 H.P. engine) webpages and can not find the part . The coil works if heated and out of the housing but preloading it with a half turn is to much and the hot engine will not open the choke ? I found one Utube video of a similar but smaller auto choke on a push mower that was on the inside of the muffler . The heat sensitive spring/coil on the engine is above the engine head on a aluminum bracket .

It is running okay as is and only runs rough if the throttle is in full forward position for starting the engine when the engine is warmed up . I did with the engine cold and warm turn the choke lever to full open (right looking from rear of mower) and the engine started surging badly again.

Couple notes My sister in law has been using non ethanol 90 octane gas in the mower and has not been using a fuel stabilizer instead running the tractor empty in the fall .

Anyone happen to have a part number or information on the choke on these mowers?
If needed I may just put a manual choke cable on the mower .

alfadan
07-19-2023, 09:19 AM
Briggs and Stratton website actually has a pretty good parts lookup IF you have the engine part number. Its a very long alphanumeric sticker.

firefly1957
07-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Club Cadet has the engine all marked with their numbers I was at B&S websight and looked at the same engine with different trim Most of what I saw was stickers not something I needed . Do not misunderstand they had many of the same parts but a search for automatic choke came up blank so did some other variations of the same . Some parts did not have images and that stayed the same if I opened the link to the part. I did use the numbers on the C.C.WEBPAGE it showed the spring that is attached to the choke lever but not the choke?
The choke is connected to the wind vain then with another link to the carb. choke . If the choke is just a little to open the engine surges terribly . I did run the mower on my yard then hers for about 20 minutes or so .
Further revelation is I missed the inside nut that holds the carb. and filter assemble on the part that attaches to the engine . I found it on the floor of my garage while picking up tools today so I need to drive over 60 miles to get that back on ! Then see if it still runs the same.

gunther
07-20-2023, 08:01 AM
Check Parts Tree for diagrams, second choice would be Jack's Small Engines.

GhostHawk
07-20-2023, 08:47 AM
Fuel stabiliser and seafoam for cleaning the crud out.

Personally recently switched to a Greenworx 80 volt ZTR all electric mower. Each mower blade has its own electric motor. If the tip speed slows down it adds power.

Mower runs on 1-6 big Li-ion rechargeable batterys. Shipped with 12 batterys and 3 dual battery chargers that will take it from 0 to full in 45 min to an hour. Turn the key and it goes. No gas, no oil, low maintaince. Has a standard 2" trailer hitch up front for accessory's and a draw pin plate in the back.

Not cheap at 4500$ at Costco, but worth every penny.

FYI the other retailers have same price as costco. But they only ship with 6 batterys. Costco ships with 12. Replacement batterys are 190$ ea.

firefly1957
07-21-2023, 07:49 AM
I have cleaned everything out I actually used cleaner and a garden hose on the fuel tank while it was out of riding mower . The carb was disassembled and cleaned with spray Gumout carb cleaner.

The cost of a electric mower is not in her budget .

I have looked though many parts diagram with no luck I have used Jack's small engines in the past I will look there now . Not sure why it did not come up in recent searches most diagrams were out of Australia for some reason . P.S. prices were crazy high on them running 3 to 7 times our prices in our dollars .

firefly1957
07-21-2023, 08:23 AM
Jacks showed me the unit is also a MTD 13CC26JD058 mower but no breakdown on the engine it is only shown as reference ? Some of the carburetor linkage is shown but it "seems " to stop before the automatic choke for some reason which connects to the vane that is pushed by engine air flow.

jonp
07-21-2023, 07:11 PM
Check Parts Tree for diagrams, second choice would be Jack's Small Engines.

Both are where I go for exploded diagrams and original parts numbers. Ordered from both, too with no problems

firefly1957
07-22-2023, 07:49 AM
Parts tree has same exploded views as other sites they do not show the engine except as reference the part I am looking for is the choke heat activated coil that is under engine shroud above the cylinder head . It seems to be a state secret for some reason ? Yesterday I was wondering if maybe I should just add enough spring tension to get it back to choked when cool?

I am thinking while I had the tractor apart I should have taken pictures ? The local repair shop was also no help and after talking to the guy about fuel filters i have ZERO confidence in him ! The stock short red fuel filter is just a screen and let all the crude though that was in carb. it was also full of crud . He said the fiber type filters would not work in this application even though it is a Briggs and Stratton filter for same engine in other makes.

farmbif
07-25-2023, 08:57 PM
does the carb have a knurled needle screw with spring, high idle adjustment. if so many times turning that one way or the other will put a stop to the surging and make it run smooth. ive fiddled with all kinds of one lungers and dont ever remember seeing a heat activated choke control. if it is unique might ask some expert like , taryl fixes all on YouTube and he would probably make a video on how to get one of those old engines to run right

firefly1957
07-27-2023, 08:30 AM
Farmbif That is what I have seen as well I could only find one video on Utube of something like it and it was a gas push mower .
The High Idle adjust has an odd plastic end on the screw I did not need to mess with it . I know the idiots (feds) made it hard to adjust them one of my chain saws has odd head I found a 1/4" nylon air brake line works well . Next problem is the company can not tell "US" how to adjust but it is the same as older equipment (This is the slow idle mixture adjustment not idle speed).
The feds are working to outlaw gas generators next I hope (D)s wake up and stop supporting the party of division and destruction soon!

firefly1957
08-07-2023, 02:37 PM
I have finally got all the bugs out of the mower and it is running well , I have to see if I can get all the details about who worked on it before and what they did .
Linkage and choke seemed to have been badly altered with coil in backwards ? The choke is above the cylinder head and a bit brownish in color .

And I can not upload the image maybe later....

firefly1957
08-07-2023, 02:41 PM
Try again 316742

I feel like I should draw a line around the choke coil it is above the cyl.head and a bit brownish.

elmacgyver0
08-07-2023, 03:21 PM
If you find it impossible to find that auto choke part, could you just put a manual control on it?

firefly1957
08-08-2023, 06:13 AM
It ran well for well over and hour yesterday if it had not I would have added the manual choke cable . My lawn was rather high for August normal years it is dead right now one place I cut stalled the 10.5" engine it slowed in other places . The blade is nice and sharp I had the blade set real low just to test it out . It goes lower then my John Deere tractor ,I can change that but it is about right for low cut, it also seems to tip a lot easier on hills .

I just can not understand why I can find no information on the part? Hopefully I am done with it for a few years ! The biggest issue was the gunk in the fuel tank I really do not know why the other person that worked on it did not see that it should have been a easy catch ?

firefly1957
08-09-2023, 03:24 PM
Well the surging issue popped up again this time the fuel filter was empty I shook it and gas started again ran it a bit more and it started surging all over then stalled . The fuel filter was again empty and I removed the screw to drain the float bowl a few drops of fuel is all that came out until the tractor cooled a bit then fuel drained out , I assume this is vapor lock ,the screw hole on bottom of float bowl. I rerouted the fuel line and filter further from the engine as it had been clipped to throttle bracket on the engine . Ran (Mowed) it about an hour no more issues with the mower at all . Mowing my lawn with this 30" cut mower is slow I have a 54" cut that runs faster so it really is a lot faster also rides better with larger tires.