PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Ruger 10/22 action

warren5421
07-17-2023, 07:06 PM
I need to ship a 10/22 action and would like an idea on shipping. Do I remove the barrel from the action, ship barrel and action together. I know the Post Office will ship rifles, do I ship Fed Ex? I am not shipping the stock. It will be addressed to me at my son's address. I am going there to enjoy a new grand-daughter. I am flying with just a carry-on. Have a new tock there.

TD1886
07-17-2023, 07:58 PM
I need to ship a 10/22 action and would like an idea on shipping. Do I remove the barrel from the action, ship barrel and action together. I know the Post Office will ship rifles, do I ship Fed Ex? I am not shipping the stock. It will be addressed to me at my son's address. I am going there to enjoy a new grand-daughter. I am flying with just a carry-on. Have a new tock there.

You are aware that the receiver is an FFL item right? It has to go to an FFL holder or dealer. The barrel doesn't require that, but if the barrel is on the action then it goes FFL.

M-Tecs
07-17-2023, 08:07 PM
It's 100% legal to ship a firearm to yourself in state or a different state. No FFL needed. You are correct it needs to be addressed to yourself on a federal level. Some state my have additional requirements.

https://gununiversity.com/shipping-firearms/

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?454986-Gun-shipping-question&highlight=ship+firearm

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearms-interstate-his-or-her-use-hunting-or-other-lawful-activity
May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to him or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–state resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

I mostly use USPS since the location I ship to in AK is fly in only so USPS is the only option to ship out of that location.

JimB..
07-17-2023, 10:11 PM
What m-tecs said.

The question of what shipping service to use is unanswered. I last shipped a rifle by USPS, but the rules may have since changed. I will say that I’ve been sticking apple airtags in boxes, it’s interesting to watch them make their way across the country. No idea if it'd help me with a lost package.

warren5421
07-17-2023, 10:29 PM
What would you ship it in. I have been told to use a triangle box from Fed Ex turned inside out. Tape both ends good and wrap the action with bubble rap. Put in a custom wooden box and etc.

It is legal to ship your firearm to yourself in any state I want to ship to. You do not need a FFL to ship to yourself.

scattershot
07-17-2023, 10:36 PM
Pool noodles are good packaging for cylindrical objects like barrels and such.

poppy42
07-18-2023, 04:11 AM
Yes a barrel can be shipped right through usps. I don’t know about other states but Va. is a pita as far as anything that’s considered a fire arm ffl both ends. Neither fedex or ups will except anything that might be considered a handgun, like a receiver that you might be able to stick a pistol grip and a short barrel on! I don’t have a clue how usps would handle a rifle mailed to yourself. No private transfer of firearms in Va. without a background check! I can’t even but my granddaughter a shotgun and give it to her legally!

Wayne Smith
07-18-2023, 07:34 AM
Poppy, that's for sale or transfer of ownership - shipping a gun to yourself out of state is a completely different subject.

Rapier
07-18-2023, 08:58 AM
You could just take the 10/22 on the plane as checked baggage. I travel with guns frequently. You will need a hard case with pad locks, you check the gun case in, declare a firearm, unloaded, they open and check, put a red x-ray card in with it. Then you lock the case and you carry the keys. The case goes into a secure area, then is transferred to your plane's secure baggage area, you pick the gun up at destination. Usually a firearm goes into a separate baggage area and is not put on the turnstile, but I have seen the gun cases on the turnstile before. No fuss no muss, 99% of the time.
With the 10/22 I would just take the stock off and ship the entire gun is a take down case, on the plane.

WILCO
07-18-2023, 10:07 AM
Internet says you must be there when the firearm arrives.

Handloader109
07-18-2023, 10:30 AM
Internet says you must be there when the firearm arrives.Internet like most of the time is wrong

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Grayone
07-18-2023, 10:57 AM
It's 100% legal to ship a firearm to yourself in state or a different state. No FFL needed. You are correct it needs to be addressed to yourself on a federal level. Some state my have additional requirements.

https://gununiversity.com/shipping-firearms/

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?454986-Gun-shipping-question&highlight=ship+firearm

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearms-interstate-his-or-her-use-hunting-or-other-lawful-activity
May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to him or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–state resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

I mostly use USPS since the location I ship to in AK is fly in only so USPS is the only option to ship out of that location.

This is correct. That is until this administration can figure a way to screw this up...

kerplode
07-18-2023, 08:37 PM
At this time, it's essentially impossible to get FedEx or UPS to accept a firearm from a non-licensee. Used to be able to go to the hub and ship no problems, but those days are behind us unfortunately. Both UPS and FedEx changed their internal corporate policies and will now only accept firearms from "approved firearms shippers." The shop I work for part time had to jump through a bunch of hoops to be approved through FedEx.

So your best bet for the rifle is going to be USPS as was already stated.

For handguns, your only real viable option would be to check it in your baggage or drive it...

bedbugbilly
07-19-2023, 08:41 AM
A lot of folks shop firearms to themselves at another address when they fly to another location to hunt, then ship them back to themselves at home when they fly home.

I'd be a bit leery of using UPS since it appears at this point that they may strike.

Personally, I'd be more worried about if the flight I booked actually took place the way things are going thanks to the incompetent of the current Administration.

Have a safe trip and have fun and enjoy that new grand-daughter!

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-19-2023, 10:41 PM
I would ship it all in one piece, using a new hardside rifle case. Many hard cases come with a cardboard box, perfect to ship it in.
Years back, GoodSteel made a post about that.