PDA

View Full Version : Adding a garage door remote

Patrick L
07-16-2023, 07:58 AM
OK, I have a perfectly fine, fully functioning Chamberlain Garage door opener with 2 working remotes. I would LIKE to have 3 remotes.

I see programmable remotes everywhere. My question is, with these, are you programming the remote to your opener, or the opener to the new remote?

In other words, if I get one and program it, will the other two existing remotes still work? Or do I need to buy a new set of 3 matching remotes?

Sasquatch-1
07-16-2023, 08:05 AM
They should. If not just take and reprogram all three at the same time.

Just as a side note, a neighbor did something with their opener and I discovered that mine would open their garage. They had to reprogram theirs'.

G W Wade
07-16-2023, 08:19 AM
You pair the remote to the opener, Adding a remote will not affect emotes already in service. GW

MostlyLeverGuns
07-16-2023, 09:15 AM
You set the remote to the opener, I added a remote to my opener, much easier than I expected. Very much like linking Bluetooth.

Bmi48219
07-16-2023, 10:57 AM
I’m in and out of our garage several times daily. Best move I made was installing a wireless keypad outside. First one lasted ten years. On our second one now. The technical writer that authored the new keypad pairing instructions left out a couple important verbs that would have made the task simpler.
Our door opener is 23 years old but replacement remotes and keypads are available at HD & Lowes.

myg30
07-20-2023, 03:47 PM
Google your door opener model. Might need the color of the learn button on the back of the opener. I believe my chamberlain held 4 remote codes then it overwrites the first etc..
I bought an extra remote on Amazon so if I was upstairs and I needed to let in a visitor or delivery guy I could push the button.
Mike

KCcactus
07-20-2023, 08:41 PM
We have a Chamberlain opener. When I bought an extra remote, I had to program the old ones again.

07-21-2023, 08:52 AM
You can call the manufacturer and ask; they will need your model number. The manuals are online.

The old ones had a set of tiny switches in the remote which had to match the opener, which also had a set of switches. When security became an issue, the newer ones began using a system of constantly changing codes without human input.

Handloader109
07-22-2023, 08:53 AM
I've got two doors and it took me about 3 or 4 tries and a couple of hours making my old truck with built in opener work both doors. The new car in about 5 minutes, and a couple of remotes, (PO didn't leave me any) about 30 minutes the first time I tried reprogramming.
My daughter's new house has built in wifi that connects to her house internet and she uses her phone. Way easy as long as internet is working.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

sigep1764
07-22-2023, 09:09 PM
Lowes has mini remotes that look like car remotes and about the same size. I have one on my keyring for when I ride the motorcycle. Handy being that small.