PDA

View Full Version : 22 Revolver Rifle

303Guy
07-13-2023, 12:41 AM
What's not to like? I would exchange at least half of my 22's for one of these.

https://i.postimg.cc/0NhC4PDB/22-Revolving-Rifle.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I mean .... Just look at it. Sigh - out of my price bracket. Starting bid is $4000 and buy now is $5000.

It's a ALFA CARBINE REVOLVER RIFLE. Never heard of it and didn't know anyone ever made such a thing. But I want one! :Fire:

Hick
07-13-2023, 02:00 AM
weird. Wouldn't the pressure loss due to the cylinder gap rather limit the ability to build pressure in the barrel and achieve velocity???

G W Wade
07-13-2023, 04:50 AM
The idea wasn't popular when it was introduced in the Civil War. Expense to make and were dumped for $1,25 after the war. GW

Funky
07-13-2023, 07:25 AM
Looks great, but then again, I like obscure things. Good Luck Chris

15meter
07-13-2023, 07:37 AM
Apparently Heritage makes a similar rifle for less than $300 in the states. No forearm though.

https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifles/revolver

pietro
07-13-2023, 10:02 AM

You can make your own with a S&W-type .22 revolver, a take-off .22 barrel, some stock wood - and determination.

This one was homemade with a folding metal buttstock and a NAA Mini SA .22 revolver.

https://i.imgur.com/PW7U5fxl.png

MostlyLeverGuns
07-13-2023, 10:11 AM
Blocking gas, powder particles, maybe lead particles from the cylinder gap has always been an issue with the revolver rifles. Most revolving rifles do not have any guards against the side blast. Side blast is very significant in most calibers, even .22's. It is legal to make a rifle out of a handgun, just do not make a handgun out of a rifle, check the regulation specs, barrel length over 16", total length over, total length over 26".

Texas by God
07-13-2023, 01:54 PM
That flash guard tells you something.
Without it, be sure to wear protective gear for your forward arm.
Imagine one of the big Colt C&B revolving rifles having a chain fire- bye bye arm.
Now a Luger carbine; now you’re talking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pietro
07-13-2023, 01:56 PM

Since the OP's in New Zealand, I'm willing to bet that the laws there are vastly different from US laws.

Randy Bohannon
07-13-2023, 02:56 PM
$5G’s is another Shiloh Sharps rifle and a beautiful one at that with lots of bells and whistles .

303Guy
07-13-2023, 05:19 PM

Since the OP's in New Zealand, I'm willing to bet that the laws there are vastly different from US laws.

Yup. The biggest issue would be to find a 22 revolver. One could possibly get an import permit. I just happen to have one or two 22 barrels lying around.

I'm guessing that one would need HV ammo to achieve reasonable subsonic velocities. Since it would be just a novelty fun gun, velocity wouldn't matter much. It does make me wonder though, whether one could minimise the cylinder gap?

I had an Astra Cadix 9 shot 22 revolver once with a 4 9nch barrel. With that I could put all 9 rounds into a palm size group at 110 yds. I never noticed any bullet drop with it. One doesn't normally shoot that far with a revolver. Well, apart from shooting it like a mortar (which I did do once) out to 600 meters. I managed to keep my shots into about the area of a bus. Oh yes, I fitted a butt stock to it but that was after the 110 yd and 600 meter shooting.

Mk42gunner
07-13-2023, 08:38 PM
I have never owned nor shot a revolving rifle or carbine, but I have seen and felt a lot of gas blowing out the barrel/ cylinder gap on numerous revolvers. That I think puts this class firearm squarely into the "In theory it should work fine, reality not so much" category.

Taurus/ Rossi went to the trouble to design a flash guard for their shoulder fired version of the Judge .410 revolving shotgun.

Robert

pietro
07-13-2023, 09:31 PM
That flash guard tells you something.
Without it, be sure to wear protective gear for your forward arm.

OR................

https://i.imgur.com/7PTWdldl.jpg

Texas by God
07-13-2023, 11:21 PM
Pietro, that’s the best way to shoot one, especially the C&B type.
That NAA custom is neat!

pietro
07-14-2023, 03:23 PM

T Y, TbG

dverna
07-14-2023, 04:05 PM
God sure made us unique. I would not pay $200 for the thing. Reminds me of a transvestite gun. Born a pistol and wants to be a rifle.

$5k is nuts. I'll take a CZ457, good scope and $3500 of ammunition..

longbow
07-14-2023, 11:26 PM
Well Don.... differfent strokes! I was actually wanting to convert my Ruger Single Six (1980's vintage) to a revolving carbine many years ago. The reasons... versatility mostly, it will handle .22 BB caps, CB caps, shorts, long, long rifle and .22 mag. with the conversion cylinder.

That and the fact that in Canada the only places you can shoot a handgun are private property and a licensed gun range. We are not allowed to carry a handgun anywhere except directly to and from a licensed range or private property. Consequently my Single Six wasn't getting used much and I thought turning it into a revolving carbine would be a good idea and reversible as well. I didn't get to it though.

And now a new reason, handgun sales have been banned in Canada recently. So, I can keep my Single Six handgun but I can't sell it, give it away or leave it to my kids! When I die it gets siezed and destroyed by the police. So, recently I reinitiated the idea for a revolving carbine by putting a .22 rifle barrel on it and a buttstock but it turns out that the Government isn't likely to de-register it and won't tell me until after I pay for the conversion which would cost several hundred dollars the gunsmith tells me.

I doubt the Heritage revolving carbine is the same quality as the Ruger but it appears to be the only option currently for those of us with the affliction of wanting a revolving carbine... if we don't want to pay $5000 anyway!

Of course a revolving carbine is not likely to provide the accuracy of a good bolt gun or single shot.

Not sure about NZ gun laws but it looks like I won't be making a revolving carbine in Canada. I'd want to handle a Heritage revolving carbine before spending any money on one but the price is right for a fun little, versatile, plinking rifle.

YMMV

Longbow

Texas by God
07-15-2023, 12:27 AM
I like .22 rifles that don’t require hearing protection. Or safety glasses….,[emoji848][emoji16]

303Guy
07-17-2023, 12:19 AM
I like .22 rifles that don’t require hearing protection. Or safety glasses….,[emoji848][emoji16]

That's a good point. Only two of my 22's have suppressors. Range shooting require hearing protection anyway but if I had a revolver rifle I would not be hunting anyway so earmuffs would be Ok.

Gtek
07-17-2023, 08:39 PM
$4-5K- One really nice 22, say a Christensen carbon fiber threaded, Mask suppressor, scope, mounts, sling, a very nice 22 revolver with holster and belt, a couple thousand rounds of ammo, targets, adult beverages when I am done to cook some great pieces of cow. I know, give me a minute I have just a little more to spend!

303Guy
07-18-2023, 02:54 AM
$4-5K- One really nice 22, say a Christensen carbon fiber threaded, Mask suppressor, scope, mounts, sling, a very nice 22 revolver with holster and belt, a couple thousand rounds of ammo, targets, adult beverages when I am done to cook some great pieces of cow. I know, give me a minute I have just a little more to spend!
Yeah. I wouldn't even contemplate such an expense. It's the thought that I find intriguing.

Gtek
07-18-2023, 09:59 PM
The lever guns scratch that itch and hopefully nothing ever flies out the side.

popper
07-19-2023, 11:43 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt's_New_Model_Revolving_rifle
Evidently, the problem was actually a chain fire that 'unsold' it for the Gov. I do remember my Harper's books from the period were very big on promoting it.

Bigslug
07-22-2023, 12:27 PM
Revolving rifles were an idea that needed to be tried in the dawn of repeating firearms. It was an idea poorly suited to evolve and the other dinosaurs ate it.

In the percussion era, you had the potential for a chain-fire across chambers, and the rifle version put this right next to your face.

ANY revolver has the ability to spit lead, gas, and unburned powder out of the cylinder gap and off the back of the barrel. . .and the rifle versions put this right next to your face.

An oft-touted advantage of the revolver is that if a misfire occurs, you can immediately go to the cartridge in the next chamber. If the misfire turns out to be a hangfire, the forward exit to that chamber will be partially blocked by the frame and barrel. . .and the rifle versions put this mess right next to your face.

Tubular magazines, brought to you in the 1850's by the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company; greatly improved by Benjamin T. Henry; perfected by Nelson King - - live them, love them.[smilie=w:

303Guy
07-23-2023, 05:12 PM
Looking at it that way, I can see the reason for then not catching on. Put up against a lever action, magazine capacity, speed of reloading, no gas leaks and so on.

bedbugbilly
07-24-2023, 07:57 PM
Some folks like jerky and some folks prefer jelly beans.

I have one of the Uberti Remington revolving carbines - cap & ball and also have a 45 Colt conversion cylinder for it. It'd different and not for everyone but I like out of the ordinary things sometimes. You have to use your head and utilize the spur trigger guard and keep body parts away from the cylinder when firing,

I suppose if I found a used cheap Heritage 22 revolving carbine I might consider it, but in the long run, I would enjoy my 22 Henry Frontier, Ruger 10/22 and Winchester 63 a whole lot more.

An interesting revolving carbine though . . . . .

Beaverhunter2
08-01-2023, 08:31 PM
That and the fact that in Canada the only places you can shoot a handgun are private property and a licensed gun range. We are not allowed to carry a handgun anywhere except directly to and from a licensed range or private property.

And now a new reason, handgun sales have been banned in Canada recently. So, I can keep my Single Six handgun but I can't sell it, give it away or leave it to my kids! When I die it gets siezed and destroyed by the police.

So they got your freedom one bite at a time?

Wow. Just wow.

snipin101
09-24-2023, 08:30 PM
Revolving rifles are super fun. There is a learning curve and yes some stuff will hit you in your face. My 1860 army is more of a pleasure to shoot then the heritage .22 but can spend the evening putting many rounds down range with it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230925/6569ffd74e720b7bb822e35559a074b8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230925/a148cb4c11d7f4985730aa8e63d890d4.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

longbow
09-26-2023, 03:15 PM
So they got your freedom one bite at a time?

Wow. Just wow.

Yup! And this is after a good portion of the new legislation was dropped like no magazine fed gun with a capacity of more than 5 rounds. Had that gone through my 1894 Marlin would be illegal and my original 1881 Marlin with full length tube magazine would be illegal. Also, my Lee Enfields would become illegal. Fortunately that part of the legislation was dropped but the handgun ban is in place... no new handguns can be bought or sold in Canada.

Many semi auto hunting/sporting rifles have been caught up in the government's quest to restrict "military style assault rifle" availability to the public as well.

Yes! "Wow. Just wow. That about says it!

Longbow