PDA

View Full Version : Any D cell battery experts out there?

Patrick L
07-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Hi guys. The knowledge and expertise on this board never ceases to amaze me, even when the topic is NOT casting, reloading, shooting, etc. So here's my dilemma for today.

I came across my old Mag Lite 2 D cell flashlight. I've had this thing since the 80s. Unfortunately, the battery (batteries? I can't get past the first one to tell) had corroded/leaked, and the entire thing is just fused in place. A soak in some vinegar loosened up all the crap I could get at down at the base, and I dug that out with a screwdriver fairly easily. Problem seems to be the whole side of at least the first battery is just fused in with all that dried white powdery concrete. I've successfully salvaged things in the past that had milder cases of old battery leakage, but this is easily the worst I've ever seen. What to do?

How nasty/dangerous/poisonous are the insides of these things (batteries?) I was thinking I could drill out the center of the batteries an then pry them inwards?

I love the challenge of saving things like this, but if I'm risking my life or chancing growing a third thumb, I'm willing to concede defeat. And yes I realize I could just buy a new flashlight. That's not the point.

Who knows about these things??

murf205
07-10-2023, 09:43 AM
The white powdery stuff you see is Potassium hydroxide which becomes crusty when it meets the air. It wont kill you on contact but it's a good idea to wear latex gloves and safety glasses since you are drilling. It causes skin irritation if you get it on you. The flashlight might be pitted inside as a result of this lovely stuff. When you get through with this project, go to Amazon and check out a GearLight with 1200 Lumens. I bought one and it is pretty nice. It runs on 3 AA batts and it is BRIGHT..... If your Maglight is toast.

Sig
07-10-2023, 09:45 AM
My past experience says to throw it out & buy a new LED flashlight. I've spent hours trying resurrect some of my Mag lights with varying success. Even when I was successful repairing one, I found that it would seldom last for long. I was a big fan of them back in the 80's & 90's & probably had close to 10 at one time between the garage, house & truck. I find the new LED lights with rechargeable batteries put out as much if not more light in a package that is 1/4 the size & weight. I still have a few functional Mag lights around but the only time they get used is when I can't find one of newer LED lights.

schutzen-jager
07-10-2023, 09:46 AM
send it back to Mag Lite + they will replace it under the guarantee -

uscra112
07-10-2023, 10:12 AM
Assuming your old batteries were alkaline, the electrolyte is so strongly corrosive to aluminum that there may not be much left of the flashlight body if you do get the guts out. I've had it happen, and never managed to rehab one.

Lithium-ion/LED lights are so far superior that I chucked out all the alkaline-cell type years ago. I do still have in service an old camp lantern designed for four D cells, but I converted it at least 15 years ago to a bundle of 18650 cells stripped out of failed Dell laptop batteries.

gwpercle
07-10-2023, 10:16 AM
I have never been able to "save" a flashlight from severely corroded batteries !
The damage has been done and none of the several I have tried to save ever worked again .
Give it a go if you wish ... but I think you would have better luck sending it back to the manufacturer and asking if they could "repair" it for you ... they just might send you a new flashlight .
I don't think D-cell batteries are that dangerous ... but what do I know ...
I cast Lead Boolits :cbpour: !
Gary

CastingFool
07-10-2023, 10:17 AM
send it back to Mag Lite + they will replace it under the guarantee -
I would check with Maglite first, I think damage by battery corrosion is one thing their warranty doesn't cover

Keyman
07-10-2023, 10:36 AM
Most of the battery makers will replace, send you a check, for the battery leakage in any device. Just go to the makers web site for an address.
Keyman

MostlyLeverGuns
07-10-2023, 11:15 AM
I have not been able to 'save' any Mag-lite with corroded batteries, 3 different AA lights kept in vehicles. Modern LED's are much brighter AND cheaper than the Mag-lites. The better lights can get pricey, but Mag-lite has kind of faded, unless you need a 'D battery club'. The cost of returning a light makes returning not worthwhile. The Mag-lite guarantee does not cover leaking,corroded batteries.

Patrick L
07-10-2023, 11:26 AM
Thank you for all the quick replies.

You know, I've reached a point in my life where I no longer feel the need to save the world and succeed at everything. Plus, since I recently retired, I don't want to do anything potentially dangerous that could screw things up for me. I think I'm going to accept the conventional wisdom that seems to be running rampant throughout this thread, pitch the maglite in the trash, and just buy a new flashlight.

Thanks again guys!

metricmonkeywrench
07-10-2023, 11:32 AM
I love my 2D as it was the first flashlight i paid real $$ for back in the day 20+ years ago. So far have escaped the battery leakage issue for the most part but I did have my fancy OEM accessory hanger loop cap freeze up on the body and chewed it up pretty good with the channel locks breaking it loose, so the original cap went back on (yes dear there is a reason I keep all this stuff). Other than that and the glued together reflector and a couple of incandescent bulbs it has been a good and faithful companion for many years.

Most of my AA models ended up on the trash for battery leakage failures and for the ones i have left the batteries stay out of them till needed.

At a trade show a couple of years ago i mentioned the condition to the booth guy and he said that if i contacted them and gave them the serial number they may "refresh" it for me and bring it back up to standard and for a couple of bucks more it could be upgraded to LED.

As others have mentioned though it is way outclassed in light power by the new generation LED lights available on the market, though not many of them could perform the duties of an attitude adjuster and survive.

jdgabbard
07-10-2023, 11:33 AM
Could it be saved? Sure, anything can be saved if you put enough work into it. Under these circumstances, I'm not sure WHY you'd want to. I carried a Mag back in the early 2000s when on duty. And can say with absolute certainty that even the old incandescent Surefires made them obsolete. I bought 2-3 of the old Surefire 6P (plastic versions) for about $35 back in 2006-2007, and a Metal one for I think $60 at that time. I just upgraded all of them to LED bulbs for approximately $12/piece (Amazon purchase), along with converting to 16650s (Not 18650s - 18mm is too wide to replace the CR123A batteries). Those flashlights that will fight in the palm of my hand are easily 10x brighter than the Maglight ever thought about being. And at in investment of about $50 over the course of 15 some odd years.

There are a plethora of great quality lights, that are cheaper, brighter, lighter, and more compact than even a two cell Mag. Even cheap weapon lights outperform them. So why bother?

schutzen-jager
07-10-2023, 12:53 PM
I would check with Maglite first, I think damage by battery corrosion is one thing their warranty doesn't cover

mag lite replaced one of mine 3 years ago - iirc they claim damage to battery makers if name brand battery -

Patrick L
07-10-2023, 01:48 PM
The Mag Lite is currently residing in the trash! Case closed.

JDGabbard, read the last paragraph on my original post.

challenger_i
07-10-2023, 04:29 PM
That's cheating! :)
I re-celled a lantern with M-1 cells from a DX'ed Dewalt tool pack. Works like a charm!

I do still have in service an old camp lantern designed for four D cells, but I converted it at least 15 years ago to a bundle of 18650 cells stripped out of failed Dell laptop batteries.

charlie b
07-10-2023, 10:10 PM
I get why you would try. I did love the big Maglites but I finally gave them up when I could get more light out of something that fit in the palm of my hand. I hung onto the old ones for quite a few years, stored without batteries. Then I finally gave them up when cleaning out the shop for a move.

Now days most of my 'flashlights' are headlamps. I got hooked on them when out hiking/camping.

uscra112
07-10-2023, 11:15 PM
Now days most of my 'flashlights' are headlamps. I got hooked on them when out hiking/camping.

Ditto. The old time miner's helmet lamp x1000. The first one I bought put out enough light that I could drive my old Ford tractor in the pitch dark with nothing else. That sold me. Got three now - one in the house and one in each car, with spare 18650s ready to hand.

GregLaROCHE
07-11-2023, 12:15 AM
I still have a two D cell Maglight in good condition. It used to be a regulation to have one when flying at night. I never used it and still don’t. The small mini mag I always carried would get te job done and you could hold it in your teeth if needed. As everyone else has said, go with a new LED compact flashlight.

uscra112
07-11-2023, 12:29 AM
I have wondered why it seems that D cells in Maglites succumb to this massive leakage but D cells in cheap plastic-bodied flashlights do not.

GregLaROCHE
07-11-2023, 01:29 AM
I have wondered why it seems that D cells in Maglites succumb to this massive leakage but D cells in cheap plastic-bodied flashlights do not.

Maybe it has something to do with the conductivity of the aluminum. However, I have seen it happen to batteries in plastic cases in a marine environment.

Randy Bohannon
07-11-2023, 03:30 AM
I just used my Maglite 4D a couple of days ago albeit not as bright as a Surefire. It’s 30 years old and has only seen Duracell batteries perhaps that’s the answer for longevity ?

indian joe
07-11-2023, 04:29 AM
I have not been able to 'save' any Mag-lite with corroded batteries, 3 different AA lights kept in vehicles. Modern LED's are much brighter AND cheaper than the Mag-lites. The better lights can get pricey, but Mag-lite has kind of faded, unless you need a 'D battery club'. The cost of returning a light makes returning not worthwhile. The Mag-lite guarantee does not cover leaking,corroded batteries.

even if you do manage to "save" it --- a modern LED light is so superior (particularly battery life) that the save is not worth the trouble...................

schutzen-jager
07-11-2023, 06:52 AM
Mag Lite has led light + led conversions for older units -

slam45
07-11-2023, 06:57 AM
rechargeable LED lights are so much better and never buying batteries again quickly repays the investment...

uscra112
07-11-2023, 07:06 AM

Good for them. Preserves the secondary usefulness of a 4D Maglight, (as a blunt force weapon).

ohen cepel
07-11-2023, 08:11 AM
I just bought a 6D cell version last night at Goodwill for $9. Yes, I have brighter, "better" but I like the heft of it at times and it is nostalgic for me as I had one 30yrs or so ago.

Will likely put the LED kit in it for more brightness and longer battery life.

georgerkahn
07-11-2023, 08:58 AM

For what it's worth, perhaps just "coincidences for me" -- it seems that the #1 LEAKING battery for me was the copper-top Mallory Dura-cell. I used to think these were the best, but, again, more batteries, clocks, scales, et cetera were destroyed from their leaking -- I switched to EverReady Energizers. Not a corrosion problem, since.

Re the OP flashlight, I had a chrome (NOT MagLite) two-cell D flashlight I really liked which also turned into one no-way-to-get-corroded-batteries out chunk. I used all sorts of chemicals and solvents on hand to get most out, except for the outer shells which (my guess?) chemically bonded to the thin metal flashlight shell. For kicks and giggles, I had enough of a "hole" for "C" cells, so I hot-glued some Emory paper to a pencil eraser, using this to polish the bottom (where front (+) of battery contacts while chucked in a drill. Then, I stretched the rear cap spring out, assembled, and -- it worked! The only "problem" was with the switch as after it was put in the "on" position one needed move it BACK just a hair -- but it functioned really well. I used it last at my parents' house, cleaning attic after they passed, and perhaps (?) left it there... regardless it got lost.
BUT, a possible solution to get the 'light working again might be to do what I did....
geo

Texas by God
07-11-2023, 09:38 AM
Do any of you old farts remember Kel Lights?
Heavier built than MagLites, but they went out of business.
They were a beast of a flashlight, and a fairly decent club.
My little O Light that fits in my shirt pocket is brighter than it or any MagLite that I’ve had since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dondiego
07-11-2023, 10:36 AM
For what it's worth, perhaps just "coincidences for me" -- it seems that the #1 LEAKING battery for me was the copper-top Mallory Dura-cell. I used to think these were the best, but, again, more batteries, clocks, scales, et cetera were destroyed from their leaking -- I switched to EverReady Energizers. Not a corrosion problem, since.

Re the OP flashlight, I had a chrome (NOT MagLite) two-cell D flashlight I really liked which also turned into one no-way-to-get-corroded-batteries out chunk. I used all sorts of chemicals and solvents on hand to get most out, except for the outer shells which (my guess?) chemically bonded to the thin metal flashlight shell. For kicks and giggles, I had enough of a "hole" for "C" cells, so I hot-glued some Emory paper to a pencil eraser, using this to polish the bottom (where front (+) of battery contacts while chucked in a drill. Then, I stretched the rear cap spring out, assembled, and -- it worked! The only "problem" was with the switch as after it was put in the "on" position one needed move it BACK just a hair -- but it functioned really well. I used it last at my parents' house, cleaning attic after they passed, and perhaps (?) left it there... regardless it got lost.
BUT, a possible solution to get the 'light working again might be to do what I did....
geo

That is odd! I will never buy Energizers again since I have lost so many flashlights and other items to them leaking. I went strictly to Duracells. I will say that I have lost a flashlight to a Duracell too though.

schutzen-jager
07-11-2023, 10:46 AM
personally have had no problems with Duracell or the Kirkland labeled ones - have two at bedside for emergencies, check them every week or so + still going strong after over two years + no leakage -

dondiego
07-11-2023, 11:47 AM
personally have had no problems with Duracell or the Kirkland labeled ones - have two at bedside for emergencies, check them every week or so + still going strong after over two years + no leakage -

After losing so many good lights and other electronic items to battery leakage, I don't even store anything with batteries in them any more. It is inconvenient but my loss rate has decreased substantially.

CDayle
07-11-2023, 02:12 PM
I've got 8 of the Maglites, various versions including C size. Yeah, new lights are brighter but LED conversions make them real nice. Besides, nothing gets someones attention like a 4 Dcell(unless it's a 6).
As to the battery removal problem, I used two ways: drill hole in 1x4, 3/8 or so lag bolt to length. 1x4 over end of lite, tighten bolt with socket, if its been soaked with vinegar, can pop it out. OR remove switch,if possible, use bar clamp and 1 1/4 inch dowel to push battery out.

45_Colt
07-11-2023, 02:22 PM
After losing so many good lights and other electronic items to battery leakage, I don't even store anything with batteries in them any more. It is inconvenient but my loss rate has decreased substantially.

This!

I am the same way, something that doesn't get used a lot, the battery is removed, stuffed into a small plastic bag (usually zip lock), and placed with the device. Scopes with an illuminated reticle, do you really want to lose one of those? Or red dot sights?

45_Colt

GregLaROCHE
07-12-2023, 03:33 AM

This seems like an interesting idea. Is the conversion anything more than simply changing the bulb?

schutzen-jager
07-12-2023, 07:50 AM
This seems like an interesting idea. Is the conversion anything more than simply changing the bulb?

https://www.grainger.com/product/5PVP7?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:MS:CSM-2295:TVRYAD:20501231&gclid=ec5e513ba3211247412c359532d6f5d4&gclsrc=3p.ds&gclid=ec5e513ba3211247412c359532d6f5d4&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=ec5e513ba3211247412c359532d6f5d4

oley55
07-12-2023, 11:33 AM

This^^^. A pain in the backside, especially those tucked behind screwed on covers but it is what it is.

W.R.Buchanan
07-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Nothing Pisses me off more than Leaking batteries. THEY ALL LEAK Eventually. Heat makes them die faster. You have got to check your flash lights almost monthly if you want to avoid the problem. I have lost so many it is pathetic, adn I almost lost two of my Little Emergency Lanterns yesterday. Both had the beginnings of leakage but I caught them in time. It befuddles me why Battery Companies can't make a battery that doesn't leak! Not like it hasn't been happening for the last 75 years?

Hot tip: If you aren't going to use the light often take the batteries out !!! I have several big Maglights just lost one about 3 months ago. I took the batteries out of my Big 6 cell Head Smasher, and check my 4 cell Head Smasher every month. I just checked my AA light Yesterday and the batteries were dead but not leaked, so I dodged a bullet there.

2nd Hot TIP: I am only buying Rechargeable Lights now and have been for a couple of years. I am partial to NEBO lights! I have about 10 of them and they are small and bright. and they have a bunch of different styles. I have two little lights that are about the size of a 20 ga. shot shell that are 1000 lumens and will completely light my Front Yard which is about 100' X 150'. I have one that has a 400 MAH battery and knife blade so you can charge your phone with it. It fit perfectly in a Single Pistol Magazine Pouch and rides on the outside of my big Go Ppack.

Next you go to Harbor Freight and buy their 10,000 MAH Batteries for $20, also rechargeable. They will recharge your phone about 8 times adn they also have 400MAH batteries for about $7 that will charge your phone 2-3 times. all of these use USB connections just make sure you have both Mini USB plugs and a I phone plug. I have a several small "Ditty Bags" with all that stuff in them. One in my Car, Jeep, and her car as well. I recharge them all for maintenance every 3-4 months. I even have 4 small "Personal Fans" from Nebo that we use during the summer to blow air on us at night. They are totally quiet and will run for 8 hours on one charge.

The Nebo stuff is First Rate and I recommend highly! They also have big lights like shop lights and big flash lights that literally create day light when it is dark outside. They are available on Amazon and most decent Hardware stores. Tru-Value and ACE. Google them. This is the good stuff!

Randy

Lloyd Smale
07-12-2023, 01:23 PM
ive lost a few Maglites to leaking batterys. theres better lights now that are a 1/4 of the size that use rechargeable batterys that dont tend to leak. tossed my last maglite this spring because the bateerys wouldnt come out. im done with them

georgerkahn
07-12-2023, 01:23 PM
Nothing Pisses me off more than Leaking batteries. THEY ALL LEAK Eventually. Heat makes them die faster. You have got to check your flash lights almost monthly if you want to avoid the problem. I have lost so many it is pathetic, adn I almost lost two of my Little Emergency Lanterns yesterday. Both had the beginnings of leakage but I caught them in time. It befuddles me why Battery Companies can't make a battery that doesn't leak! Not like it hasn't been happening for the last 75 years?

Hot tip: If you aren't going to use the light often take the batteries out !!! I have several big Maglights just lost one about 3 months ago. I took the batteries out of my Big 6 cell Head Smasher, and check my 4 cell Head Smasher every month. I just checked my AA light Yesterday and the batteries were dead but not leaked, so I dodged a bullet there.

2nd Hot TIP: I am only buying Rechargeable Lights now and have been for a couple of years. I am partial to NEBO lights! I have about 10 of them and they are small and bright. and they have a bunch of different styles. I have two little lights that are about the size of a 20 ga. shot shell that are 500 lumens and will completely light my Front Yard which is about 100' X 150'. I have one that has a 400 MAH battery and knife blade so you can charge your phone with it. It fit perfectly in a Single Pistol Magazine Pouch and rides on the outside of my big Go Ppack.

Next you go to Harbor Freight and buy their 10,000 MAH Batteries for $20, also rechargeable. They will recharge your phone about 8 times adn they also have 400MAH batteries for about $7 that will charge your phone 2-3 times. all of these use USB connections just make sure you have both Mini USB plugs and a I phone plug. I have a several small "Ditty Bags" with all that stuff in them. One in my Car, Jeep, and her car as well. I recharge them all for maintenance every 3-4 months. I even have 4 small "Personal Fans" from Nebo that we use during the summer to blow air on us at night. They are totally quiet and will run for 8 hours on one charge.

The Nebo stuff is First Rate and I recommend highly! They also have big lights like shop lights and big flash lights that literally create day light when it is dark outside. They are available on Amazon and most decent Hardware stores. Tru-Value and ACE. Google them. This is the good stuff!

Randy

My first experience with NEBO was a rechargeable work light purveyed at local Stihl chainsaw shop -- I bought it, and love it. Since, I've purchased five more of their lights, and need more than agree they are top shelf. The two little pocket-ones I have boast that they go from super bright to dim just by holding the button, and remember this for next time you turn it on. Frankly, in some situations (I had one under hood of my tractor just a week or so ago) the light was too bright; took but a few minutes for me to see as I wished.
This light is not cheap ~ $35.00 USD -- but imho is worth it. 315900It is listed as, "NEBO Slim Work Light, USB Rechargeable Bright Pocket Light with Clip, Hook and Magnetic Base for Hands-Free Lighting Portable COB LED Dimmable Work Light Flashlight 500 Lumens" on Amazon.

GregLaROCHE
07-12-2023, 05:35 PM
But don’t most people today use their phone light in place of where flash lights were needed?

GregLaROCHE
07-12-2023, 05:39 PM
The one positive reason that hasn’t be brought up, is how effective a Mag Lite can be used as a defensive weapon. The more batteries the better.

W.R.Buchanan
07-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Your phone is no where as bright as these lights. Phones are what you use if you don't have anything else. I don't rely on mine for anything but making calls. My wife lives in her phone.

Randy

Patrick L
07-12-2023, 09:38 PM
Wow! I sort of forgot about this thread after I decided to deep six the Mag Light, I never thought it would turn into this!

wilecoyote
07-12-2023, 10:25 PM
The one positive reason that hasn’t be brought up, is how effective a Mag Lite can be used as a defensive weapon. The more batteries the better.

5 cell if you're around 6ft.: the belt carry ring, the leather and plastic one, can be suspended to a diy shoulder rig without protruding from the profile of a suit jacket

steve urquell
07-15-2023, 01:54 AM
The batteries are too expensive to keep feeding D-cell mag-lights. All mine are just sitting collecting dust now.

alamogunr
07-15-2023, 12:34 PM
I had 2 Maglites, a 3 cell and a 2 cell. I converted both to LED. The 3 cell has been in the sock drawer in the bedroom for at least a year. Got it out and it was still as bright as when first converted. Batteries seemed as new. Gave it to my "younger" (he's 52) this week along with several extra batteries. As I suspected he had no reliable flashlight.

redhawk0
07-15-2023, 01:28 PM
I had a crusty 3-D maglight. I spent about 30 minutes with emery cloth and a toothbrush and vinegar cleaning things up. The hardest part to clean was the base spring. I believe I used some scotchbright on it......anyway....Once all the white powder was removed, I gave it a quick thin coat of Tung oil to the pitted areas inside the barrel. (not the spring or threads).

I then converted it to LED and bought a new lens glass and it's still in use. I have 3 others for various purposes...one in each car, one stays on the wife's side of the bed, and one in the shop for general use. All are LED now.

There is something about the weight of a good light that keeps me coming back to the maglight....I know I wouldn't want to get hit over the head by one.

redhawk

higgins
07-15-2023, 03:33 PM
I've had this happen a few times. After trying various soaks with Kroil, vinegar, liquid wrench, etc. I found another solution. Remove the switch by removing the rubber button and then remove the switch with an Allen wrench. I don't remember exactly how it comes out but instructions are available online. Take the head off of the Maglite and you will see a barely visible snap ring that retains the bulb assembly. Remove that snap ring by inserting a screwdrive blade into the gap in it and twist; the ring should pop loose. Then pull out the bulb assembly and you will have an open tube where the batteries are located. Heat the tube with a Coleman stove or other flame and drive the batteries out with a piece of wood against the batteries. Wish I had found that snap ring years ago! Polish battery residue and corrosion out of the tube with steel wool and you should be ready to go.

John in WYO
08-11-2023, 02:50 AM
I was city issued 2 D-Cell Ray-O-Vac flashlight in 1977 with a S&W M-15 and a Winchester Model 1897 .12 Gauge pump shotgun, oh and a 1976 Plymouth 440 Interceptor 4 bbl.

I made lots of traffic stops with that Ray-o-vac flashlight, long before Mag-lite and Streamlights came into existence. Survived it all. 158 HP LSWC was the hot round.

AlaskaMike
08-19-2023, 03:00 AM
I really wish there was a "like" function here. Some of the posts here really show the amazing experience of some of the folks here.

I was a weekend warrior during the mid 1990s, and I had a 3 D cell Maglite. For a bright flashlight there really wasn't much in the way of alternatives at that time. As I recall, the rechargeable Maglite was a bit brighter.

Years later, I took the old Maglite that I had on patrol back then and replaced the head with an LED unit. That same flashlight sits in the door of my truck today, fully functional.

I think it's important to differentiate "tactical" flashlights vs "patrol" flashlights, as was used from the 1980s through the early 2000s. These days I much prefer the Fenix lights with the 18650 batteries.

There was an old Sgt. on midshift back in the day of the D Cell Maglite/Streamlite who specifically ordered everyone who exited their car with their flashlight, to carry their baton. The baton was a far superior tactical weapon vs the flashlight, and if you could carry a 3 D-Cell flashlight, you could carry your baton. Hard to argue with that.

These days are far different from the 1980s/1990s. We have some amazingly powerful flashlights that fit in the palm of your hand.

As I said though, I do still carry my old 3 cell Maglite with the LED head in my truck to this day.

firefly1957
08-21-2023, 08:04 PM
I have had 5 cell flashlights since 1975 when I worked as a security guard I can not tell you how many times I cleaned them up from leaking batteries I have a PRP Lite 2 Biancci lights and a later Maglite Around 1990 I started coating the inside of the flashlights with silver colored never seize and it helps a lot! Aluminum is very reactive all my lights are currently usable but I have moved on to L.E.D. lights even putting the L.E.D. Maglite bulb in can not match them as the bulb needs a heat sink to be higher lumens .
My current favorite light is a rechargeable 6000 lumen unit from Harbor freight . It is supposed to run 2 hours at high and 40 hours on low (240 lumens) And that is about right for the high level . It also has nice sharp parts to use as a weapon if needed . The flashlight has been in near daily use for over two years now , I use it to make sure the yard is clear when I take Wally out to pee in the dark and I also travel with it .

GONRA
08-26-2023, 06:22 PM
GONRA sex - just get a NEW FLASHLITE! !!!

BLAHUT
08-26-2023, 07:22 PM
I have had it happen, leak, in plastic cases, handheld or headlight, so now if I am not going to use for a short while or longer, I remove battery's and put all together in a zip-lock storage bag. Then when and if battery's leak, I only loose the battery's???