PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite...

cwlongshot
07-08-2023, 08:46 AM
RELOADING PRESS!!

We all have them. I venture most are like me and have had many.

I have always like the Rock Chucker and I admit that I have swayed and later returned a few times. ;)

I also still own my very first reloading press. It was My fathers Spartan and I also have a representative "copy" of the first press that I learned upon.( The Lyman JR).
I have about a dozen under the benches and like atributes of all of them.
I have a good friend who has suggested (a few times) that I should sell off all those presses not using, that are under the bench and buy a Area 419. (1300$ retail!!!) This is because he views it as the best. Maybe because its so expensive? I dont know, I have considered it, but know big $$ do not ensure the best, and just as buying a "new" part doesn't always correct a problem. Does it produce better ammunition?

But... I do have a desire for the MEC Marksman. ;) This press impresses me.

I have wanted a T-Mag for years. I settled for a Lyman American 8 and since rebuild I do really like it. Its on a bench and in use now.
I have had a Foster Co-axe back before they had a universal case holder. I liked it but...
I have had a Redding big Boss. I didnt like those flat rails they inhibited hand seating bullets and like.
I have a Frankfort M Press that I like (since re build) Its in use now.
I also have a RCBS Summitt thats a beast. (But I did break it!) Its a nice compact press.
I also have a RCBS Ammo Master, that I plum wore out! FIRST time RCBS hasn't stepped up to repair...
(Did I mention, I really want a MEC)!

SO, Id like to know your opinions.

What is your favorite.

What is one you would like to try?

What are you currently using?

CW

gwpercle
07-08-2023, 10:20 AM
My big , bench mounted press is an old Pacific Super Deluxe , single station "C" , blue in color and older than dirt but I like it . Compound linkage that can be set to size on the upstroke or the downstroke ... I really like this feature .
This baby will resize 303 British brass that has been fired in aircraft machine guns ... let me tell you them machine gun chambers are generous and take some resizing , I had to resort to STP Oil Treatment for case lube to get the job done !

My most used press , lately , has been the Lee Hand Press !
Sitting inside the a/c house and reloading lots of handgun ammo right here at computer desk . It's so dang hot outside and my reloading bench is in a outbuilding that has no heat or a/c or even screens to keep out the mosquitoes that come out when / if dusk brings any cool ... this is Louisiana , the home of heat , humidity and blood sucking bugs ... "where's the Flit Gun" should be our state motto !
Gary

Der Gebirgsjager
07-08-2023, 10:51 AM
Call me dull and uninteresting, but to me reloading presses are like automobiles. They get you where you need or want to be. While there may be bells and whistles, the purpose remains the same, to turn out quality reloaded ammunition. I've always purchased my reloading equipment to meet a need in a price range. Started with a used Lyman Spartan that became dedicated to .38 special. Next, two Rockchuckers that were on sale with die sets for all my rifle ammo. Lastly, a Lee Turret press which became dedicated to .45 Auto. That covers all my needs, as I do not shoot in quantities justifying a Dillon.

DG

Minerat
07-08-2023, 11:01 AM
I'm an RCBS man. Mostly because they gave my mother with a job when she most needed one and she retired after 30 years. I started with a partner and now have 2 Rockchuckers, on the bench, one with piggyback 1, the other for rifle, single stage. The Partner is used for boolit resizing now.

schutzen-jager
07-08-2023, 11:04 AM
non progressive only - in six decades i have owned 4, three different Lee's + RCBS jr. - lee's are all long gone ! - RCBS never failed me in any way - load 9 different rifle + pistol calibers, 50 to 200 rounds per session -

Daver7
07-08-2023, 11:19 AM
My favorite presses the one Im using at that time. Rock Chucker I bought used, Dillon 550B bought new RCBS partner and a Lee Challenger last 2 are mounted on blocks of oak so I can loan them out for friends who are thinking about getting into reloading.

pworley1
07-08-2023, 12:19 PM
I have several set up for different tasks. RCBS RC and Rebel, Pacific 007, Lyman Orange Crush, Texan Cobra, and a Lyman Spar-T. I don't know that I have favorite.

375supermag
07-08-2023, 12:22 PM
Hi...
Currently running two RockChuckers and two Hornady LNL progressives.
One Rock Chucker for test rounds and small batches of handgun ammunition. The other Rock Chucker is used for rifle cartridges and some low volume Ruger only type handgun loadings
One Hornady is used for high volume small primer reloading, the other for high volume large primer reloading.
I sold both of my Dillon 550s because I like the Hornady presses more.

Three44s
07-08-2023, 05:57 PM
I have used a RCBS JR. for more years than I have left but my “darling” presently is a Redding Boss but it’s soon to be tied up in some J-Word swagging so we will see!

Three44s

shell70634
07-08-2023, 06:50 PM
Star and Rockchucker

dverna
07-08-2023, 07:06 PM
My first was a Co-Ax and it will be my last.

For pistol calibers, the Dillon 1050.

For 12 ga target loads the Ponsness Warren 800+ with Autodrive and a PW 375 for hunting loads.

Bazoo
07-08-2023, 09:17 PM
Of the handful I've tried, it's between the RockChucker, followed by the old model Lee Challenger that sets at an angle. I have the Lee currently, and haven't compared them side by side. I like the angle though. For just cranking out normal ammo, not strength, the Lee does well.

TNsailorman
07-08-2023, 10:34 PM
I started out using Lee Loaders before I could afford a press. Dad and Mom bought me a C&H 333 in 1964 and I used that until 1979. I had started shooting competition in Combat Pistol Matches and I need to load more in voulume with little time to do it. So I bought a Dillon 450 and started loading my 38 Spec. and .45 acp with it. Got talked into buying a Dillon 550 and used it for several years and then got out of competition, so it was no longer needed and I sold both it and the 450. I bought a RCBS RCII in 1994 when I retired and later a Lyman All American (the old one) used and that is what I am using now for pistols and the RCBS RC for rifles. Don't needd anything else as I have everything covered. james

Walks
07-08-2023, 11:15 PM
I've used a Rockchucker for almost 50yrs.
Have had a Spar-T and still have a Spartan. I keep that old Spartan because it reminds Me so much of the Lyman Comet that I grew up on. The Hornady L-N-L I've used since they came out. The Hornady single stage recently came out from under the bench, I like the angled opening. The RCBS Piggyback-2 is still racked behind the Rockchucker. Used for .32 cal only.
That Rockchucker has sat bolted to the same spot on My bench for 39yrs, never been removed. So I guess it's nuts & bolts are rusted enough to stay bolted to My bench after I've passed.
But I wouldn't pass on the gift of a Redding T-7 if it should come My way.

dillon passed through unhappily.

Shotgun will be spoken of later.

gnappi
07-09-2023, 07:40 AM
My "precision" press is a RCBS Big Max, but the vast amount of loading is done on Dillon 450 and three 550's

ukrifleman
07-09-2023, 07:43 AM
I still use a Lyman Spartan for push through bullet sizers and case prep with M dies, my main press is a Lee classic cast turret.

ukrifleman

georgerkahn
07-09-2023, 07:57 AM
RELOADING PRESS!!

We all have them. I venture most are like me and have had many.

I have always like the Rock Chucker and I admit that I have swayed and later returned a few times. ;)

I also still own my very first reloading press. It was My fathers Spartan and I also have a representative "copy" of the first press that I learned upon.( The Lyman JR).
I have about a dozen under the benches and like atributes of all of them.
I have a good friend who has suggested (a few times) that I should sell off all those presses not using, that are under the bench and buy a Area 419. (1300$ retail!!!) This is because he views it as the best. Maybe because its so expensive? I dont know, I have considered it, but know big $$ do not ensure the best, and just as buying a "new" part doesn't always correct a problem. Does it produce better ammunition?

But... I do have a desire for the MEC Marksman. ;) This press impresses me.

I have wanted a T-Mag for years. I settled for a Lyman American 8 and since rebuild I do really like it. Its on a bench and in use now.
I have had a Foster Co-axe back before they had a universal case holder. I liked it but...
I have had a Redding big Boss. I didnt like those flat rails they inhibited hand seating bullets and like.
I have a Frankfort M Press that I like (since re build) Its in use now.
I also have a RCBS Summitt thats a beast. (But I did break it!) Its a nice compact press.
I also have a RCBS Ammo Master, that I plum wore out! FIRST time RCBS hasn't stepped up to repair...
(Did I mention, I really want a MEC)!

SO, Id like to know your opinions.

What is your favorite.

What is one you would like to try?

What are you currently using?

CW

Without a doubt my favourite is the MEC Marksman!!! As a btw, I have/use a Dillon 550b, four Lyman All-Americans, a Forster Co-Ax, three Redding Boss presses, a Pacific C, and a Buchanan hand-press. Yup -- for cranking out the pistol rounds nothing I have comes close to the Dillon 550B. BUT -- for the BEST, smoothest action ever precision, only tied with the MEC Marksman is the Forster Co-Ax, which also provides minimal run-out. My runout was all over the board with other presses, and with a what looked like a "forever and a day" wait for the Co-Ax I took a chance on the Marksman. UNBELIEVABLE results -- from my very first loadings on the press -- Remington Fireball for an XP100 -- I thought my run-out gauge was out of whack as the dial's needle stopped moving :)!
My experience...
geo

CaptREDD
07-09-2023, 11:39 AM
Favorite: Bonanza Co-Ax

Most used: LEE turrets....Classic & Econo

REDD

Shawlerbrook
07-09-2023, 11:44 AM
RCBS Rockchucker for me.

Texas by God
07-09-2023, 12:21 PM
I started with a Lee Loader, then a Herters, then a RCBS Junior, then a Lee hand press, then a RCBS Rockchucker. Which remains.
I picked up a basic Lee press for cheap from a friend for deer camp loading operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W.R.Buchanan
07-09-2023, 01:19 PM
Here's my Favorite! But I'm biased.

Randy

AZ Pete
07-09-2023, 01:45 PM
Single stage: Bonanza Co-Ax
Pistol: Dillon SDB

Baltimoreed
07-09-2023, 02:20 PM
A Lyman T2 but I was gifted a Dillon 550. The T2 has fewer hiccups.

jetinteriorguy
07-09-2023, 04:43 PM
If I could only keep one it would be my Lee Classic Cast turret. Or my trusty old Orange Crusher, or my Dillon 550B.

Dave H
07-09-2023, 05:11 PM
Hello, new guy here I have a reading turret, the big reading press, a star for 38's, hollywood press, dillon 550, hornady turret, I use the reading turret and hollywood press the most.

kaiser
07-09-2023, 05:30 PM
The Bonanza Co-Ax press is far away my favorite. l've owned Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, and multiple Lee's, and they all work well enough. However, none of the others match the reliability, versatility, and ruggedness of the Co-Ax IMHO for metallic cartridge loading.

Binky
07-09-2023, 05:51 PM
Started, in my mid teens, with a Lyman Spartan (new]). In my mid 20s I bought a RockChucker (again new). In the mid 1980s, I bought Redding Boss (didn't like it and sold it) and a used Lyman Spar-T. I still have and use both Lymans and the RockChucker. I bought a Lee reloading manual and got a free press which I gave to a co-worker so he could get started loading. Over the years I have traded for or bought 3 or 4 RCBS Jr's. And still have 1 that gets regular use. I have loaded 10s of thousands of pistol and rifle ammo on my single stage presses. At this stage of my life, even the thought of spending over a grand on a reloading press seems ludacris although IF I was 25 years younger and still shooting significant quantities of ammo, a progressive would be on my list.

brass410
07-09-2023, 06:46 PM
started with a brand new "BIG MAX" bought it at Fridays Gun shop in Fort Myers nearly 40 yrs ago. There hasn't been a case I couldn't crush or wedge into the wrong dies yet. Have a brand new Rock Crusher still in box (just in case) I load for recreation not production. Would like to try out a dillion just for giggles and such.

mac60
07-09-2023, 08:19 PM
I have 2 rockchuckers, Lee classic cast single, Lee classic turret, RCBS "JR", a little Lee "c" and a Lyman spartan. I like all of them, but if I was forced to pick I guess it would be the one that stays clamped to the bench the most - the Lee classic cast single. In years past I used an older rockchucker and an RCBS ammomaster single and a Lyman orange crusher. Lost all my reloading stuff to hurricane Katrina and had to start over, so I ended up with the above.

Big Wes
07-10-2023, 06:57 AM
I have 4 Dillons 550,2-SDB's & a 650 and last year I bought a Mec Marksman single stage, first single stage I ever owned in the 30 years of reloading. The Mec is very impressive, smooth as silk and well built! IMHO

Shopdog
07-10-2023, 07:03 AM
3 Lyman O mags bolted in a line next to a T mag. So,make it orange for me.

ascast
07-10-2023, 08:11 AM
Rockchucker is the workhorse, co-ax for fine tuning.
Lee Pro 1000 for most of the pistol stuff. Hopefully this winter I will get the Dillion and a Star set up.

pete501
07-10-2023, 09:50 AM
8 station Hollywood Turret, mainly for rifle and small batch pistol rounds.

RCBS Piggyback for volume reloads.

lightman
07-10-2023, 10:04 AM
I sold a Herter's press and bought a RockChucker in the 70's and have been using it ever since. Sometime in the 80's I added a Dillon 550 to the bench that I use for pistol ammo and 5.56 and 308.