PDA

View Full Version : has dillon changed its warrenty

testhop
02-10-2009, 09:39 PM
i thought dillon had life time warranty on all there tools but just saw a tumbler
(dillon) BUT it carryed a 1 year warranty one the best things about dillon was life time guarantee that with workmanship

any body else see this

lunicy
02-10-2009, 09:54 PM
IIRC their "no bs" guarantee doesn't cover electrical items.

flutedchamber
02-10-2009, 09:57 PM
At one time everything that Dillon sold had a lifetime guarantee EXCEPT electrical devices, ie their powered case trimmer and scale. My large Dillon vibratory cleaner has had warranty replacements on the springs supporting the bowl and rubber well nuts that hold the springs in place..but only after going thru two other phone techs that told me IT ISN'T COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME GUARANTEE. The third tech said that the parts I needed were, in fact everything EXCEPT the motor is lifetime guarantee.

I have an older Dillon 1050 that came with the operating instructions and LIFETIME GUARANTEE on the back of the instructions. Now Dillon says that the 1050 is a "commercial press" and is not covered under their "FULL OF BULLS***T GUARANTEE".

Dillon has been picking and choosing how they honor their warranty for the past few years, long before the current market collapse. Dillon is like Cottman transmission. Charge 3 times what the product is worth and offer a great guarantee. Statistics show that as far as the transmissions are concerned the transmission will only have to be replaced at most just once. So...they are ahead of the game because they charged 3 times what the job was worth to begin with. Follow my math??

Dillon does the same thing. Charge a premimum amount for a product (which people willingly buy because it has such a great "full of bulls***it guarantee") and then refuse to honor the guarantee in the future...not every time or to everyone, just on what seems a Russian roulette fashion.

hedgehorn
02-10-2009, 10:46 PM
They keep that Bulls**it up and they will find themselves selling very few presses. They want a premium for everything. I use the Lee Pro auto disk in my RL550B tool heads because I think its just as consistent as the Dillon measure and half price. I bought a 550 because of the warranty and will be very upset if the day that I need it they don't honor it. :(

Springfield
02-10-2009, 11:33 PM
I bought my 1st and especially my 2nd Dillon because it looked like the best thing out there. After 18 years with the first one and 4 with the second I still think so. I don't give a rodent's behind for guarantees, if it is good than I shouldn't need one. So far I haven't had to replace anything on the 1st press and the second was used and mising a few small items, most of which they gave me for free.

ELFEGO BACA
02-11-2009, 12:07 AM
I purchased my 550B back in 86 and have had good luck with it. Over the years Dillon has sent replacement parts as needed.

I purchased a used and 'reconditioned' Square Deal a while back and it needed some work. I sent it back to Dillon and now I have no problems with it.

I am happy with Dillon:)

hedgehorn
02-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Elfego that is good news. I have had mine just about two years and when I got it one the primer magazines was missing. I called and it was on my doorstep in two days. That is the kind of service I expected from Dillon and that is why I bought their press, I am hoping that is the way that they will always be. I love mine but I do think a product this expensive should last a lifetime with moderate use.

Dale53
02-11-2009, 01:29 AM
I have two Dillon 550B's and use them a good deal. I have had small parts wear (honest wear) and they have replaced these items RIGHT NOW and NO CHARGE.

They have NEVER hesitated to give me what I need. I have Dillon's large Vibratory Tumbler and I know that it is not guaranteed for life. That was all "up front" and I knew what I was getting (the best tumbler out there)!

I don't know Mike Dillon personally, but I hold him and his company is HIGH REGARD!

Dale53

cajun shooter
02-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Dillon has on several occasions sent me parts free that I was willing to pay for. On my old 450 one day while cleaning it up I broke the powder reservoir. I called and told them that I broke it and asked what it will cost. NC to my door. How much better do you want?Dillon will remain my choice.

Ballard4590
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Twice over the last few years,as a matter a fact 2 weeks ago .I've called Dillon about parts that I broke,both times they would not except payment,and shipped parts for free.I'll buy more of there products any time,couldn't be happier with them.

BruceB
02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE: I do think a product this expensive should last a lifetime with moderate use.[/QUOTE]

A Dillon 550 costs ...what? $400, right now?

What did our obsolete-in-four-years computers cost? Our latest flat-screen TV? The ATV that we'll drive into the dirt in a few years, leaving it almost value-less? The $30,000 truck that sheds maybe $5000 of its original value EVERY YEAR? How about a lousy X-Box computer game set-up, for hundreds of bucks? Does anyone expect products "this expensive" to last a lifetime?

Didn't think so.

I've owned my 550 for almost 20 years. Barring a very few accessories which I bought from desire, not need, it has cost me NOTHING since the day of purchase, and has seen intensive use.

I think that expecting anything we buy today to "last a lifetime" is really a loooong reach. The fact that Dillon is doing so well at it is testimony to the quality of the product and to their determination to maintain the quality.

Incidentally, since Dillon went to direct sales to the consumer many years ago, it's only recently that the cost of their 550 has surpassed the STICKER PRICE of the earlier and less-refined 450, sold via dealers in 1985. NINETEEN EIGHTY-FIVE!!! The price was $365 in 1985, as advertised in "Handloader". That amount of money actually represents $694 in 2007 dollars!!!!

It was Dillon, single-handedly, that placed progressive loading within the grasp of average handloaders, and they have gotten damned faint praise for it. The move from paying "a cut" to each of several different layers of dealers and distributors, to selling direct to handloaders, allowed reasonable pricing of progressives. Every subsequent manufacturer has been forced to compete with Dillon's lead on pricing, and as a result we can now pick and choose.

jimkim
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I think the Dillon guy explained it in his post.

On most Dillon reloading equipment, the warranty is lifetime on broken, worn out or damaged parts,regardless of whether the product was purchased new from us, or used elsewhere. Electronic components and textiles have a one year warranty, as does the RL1050/Super 1050 machine. Lost or missing parts are not replaced under warranty . Usually if it is a minor part like a locator button or a toolhead pin, we will mail it for free. There are some parts or assemblies that we will not mail a replacement out until we receive the bad item first. Some assemblies, such as powder measures, we can rebuild.
We have a pretty good idea of what a customer might break or wear out while engaging in routine use of the equipment. This also means we know that some items, such as powder measure lids, platforms,powder funnels, are not likely to break- in these instances we have the right to ask that broken/damaged parts be returned to us first. In no way does this imply a customer is trying to take advantage of this. If these parts can be broken, we want to see how, so we can determine if a design change is necessary.
There have been instances of customers trying to take advantage of us. We limit this by controlling which pieces we are willing to send out without requiring broken parts back. In many instances, we will send out a replacement part with an invoice. When the bad part is returned, it is credited towards the open balance, cancelling it out.
If a product has an initial defect, and we need it back, we typically either send a call tag, postage label, or arrange to reimburse the return shipping in some manner. If a part breaks, or wears out, and needs to be returned to us, then the customer is responsible only to ship it to us. We cover the return shipping.
We try hard not to let a customers attitude affect their warranty service. However, if someone yells, swears, then we have no obligation to continue that conversation. We truly try our best to take care of our customers.
If you feel you did not receive the service you wanted, feel free to phone me -1-800-223-4570, ext 311. I am the Sales Manager at Dillon.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40623

NVcurmudgeon
02-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Another Dillon (mostly) supporter. My Square Deal, dating from about 1980 has been back to the factory twice and has been upgraded both times at no cost. IIRC, I only had to order parts once, and they were also free. I have the original .45 ACP dies and conversion for .44 Magnum working like champs. I believe that the only flaw in the SD is the priming system. Either the priming system was designed by Rube Goldberg or I am too stupid or too impatient to switch primer sizes and get them both working reliably. These days I am content with the SD loading .45 and .44 reliably. My Lyman Spar-T is nearly as fast as the SD and so it gets the nod for 9mm,.38, and .357 while the 9mm SD conversion and its primer system gather dust. No more flying SP primers and patronizing phone conversations! If I had 20-20 foresight I might have bought a second SD for the SP cartridges. Certainly the ancient Square Deal has earned its keep and doesn't owe me a penny.

shooterg
02-11-2009, 09:00 PM
My 550 and Square Deal both treat me good and Dillon has given me parts at NC that broke because of "operator error' (me), not equipment faults. I'd bet that if a 1050 was bought while they still had the lifetime warranty on it, they'd still work with someone. Don't know when they changed policy or how to date a given 1050 though.

acemedic13
02-11-2009, 09:19 PM
The guys at dillon are great,and their equipment is top notch. I have broken everything on my press except the handle and the frame.....EVERYTHING......... All of my own inexperience and mistreatment. I called them and told them I needed to buy the parts that were broken,(I could not in good consience ask them to give them to me for free). When I read off the list to the salesman, each time they said " it's under warranty sir" I tried to explain I busted it by being a dumb ass, and they could care less. They sent me everything for free, everytime. With a lot of instruction and hand holding along the way. when the parts came in, the package had a note telling me to call and who to ask for each time. They then walked me through every process. Not just to keep me from smashing my new gear, but because customer service goes past sending you some crap in the mail. The guys at dillon seem to understand that. They are a great company and produce a great product at a fair price, and they stand behind their gear. I always wonder about the few people I hear having trouble with them. They have ALWAYS been cool to me..............For what it's worth. ACE

Meatco1
02-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Here's another hearty endorsement for Dillon.

I bought my Dillon RL 450 sometime in the early 80s. Bought it from "Cole's Guns" almost 30 years ago. Since then Dillon updated both their primer, and powder feeds. Mike Dillon (who used to answer the phone) was quick to send me both updates at no cost. He has also sent various other updated parts, again with no charge.

Last year, one of my OLD updated powder measures for the RL 450 had a catastrophic failure, when the hopper separated from the measure (remember,it was at least 25 years old), and I called to order another. When I called, the customer rep said a new one would be sent out at no charge, and asked that I send back the failed unit.

I also have one of the original Dillon case trimmers with the very long wiring plug. I updated it myself, by cutting the wires to a usable length right after I received it. I don’t remember the year I bought it, but it has been at least 20 years ago, and it’s still trimming cases with ease. Same goes for my original Dillon “Terminator” scale, works as well today as it did 20+ years ago.

In any case, I don't think I've ever dealt with a company that sells this type of quality merchandise, and stands behind it 100% as well!!!

When one talk’s about Dillon’s customer service, you have to know, they are in a league of their own!

No ********!!!

Richard

Tom Herman
02-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Dillon stuff is awesome!
I have an RL-550 (no "B"!). That should tell you how many decades I've owned it.
In that time, I've put well over 130,000 rounds through it.
Yes, I've worn stuff out, and broken a few things on my own. They have cheerfully replaced the powder measure, priming assembly, the platform you slide the cartridge into stage one, and one priming arm.
I've bought other parts and accessories over the years.
Warranty shipping has been good, no complaints from me.
I don't abuse the warranty. If I do something stupid, I buy the part. If it simply wears out or breaks, Dillon replaces it.
I love the 550, and all the other Dillon stuff that I have.
Hats off to Mike Dillon for awesome products!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

jwhill
02-17-2009, 01:25 AM
I have a 650, it is a joy to load with, I can change between cal. in 10 mins.. I started with lee, for the $$ its OK , but for quality dillon cant be beat. I just got the primer filler in december from them and it didn't have the new upgrade, so I called them and they shipped it free of charge along with some parts that I messed up, I told them I would pay and they said no charge. I will buy from them as long as I get that kind of service.

billsr
02-17-2009, 01:53 AM
I also give a hearty endorsement to Dillon. I have a Square Deal, a 550B, an RL1050, a vibratory case cleaner, and their electric case trimmer, plus dies, case heads, etc. If I had a problem they solved it and the units work. The only problem I have had lately is with the case feeder on the RL1050 when loading .223's. For some reason the cases will jam at the top of the case feeder before dropping into the tube. Not all the time, but enough that it frustrates me. I have tried the suggestions Dillon has given me, but it still happens. I can live with it.

Big Boomer
02-18-2009, 01:19 PM
My experience with Dillon has been more than satisfactory. Several years ago I purchased used an XL650 with several attachments (several calibers with powder measures, dies, etc.), electronic case feed - the works. The reason the press was for sale was that the original purchaser just wasn't mechanically inclined. He couldn't get the thing to work. Got all the above for $ 400. He took a tremendous loss!
In a move, I covered the unit with garbage bags to keep it as clean as possible and stored it in a garage until my wife and I had built a new home. During the move, I picked up the unit (not certain what part was being grasped under the garbage bags) and broke the primer cam. I know that this is not an expensive part, but when I called Dillon I simply said I broke the part in a move and wanted to replace it. How much will it cost? The rep. simply said, after confirming my address, "Well get that right out to you, free of charge."
The original owner put up the "up front" money for the purchase and I am enjoying the benefits. 'Tuck

fordwannabe
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Another dillon fan here! I have a square deal b that has about 20 years on it and I called about 5 years ago because I was sending pistol primers all over the floor. They not only talked me through checking several things until we found out what the problem was, the tech asked if I had the upgrades, what upgrades I had never had a lick of problems so I hadn't called them before. So they send along a new priming system and something else that I can't remember. If i ever need another progressive press, blue willl get the nod. I'd love to buy Mike a round of adult beverages. Tom

Ron B.
02-21-2009, 12:51 PM
You know what guys; personally I never could afford Dillon. Yes, at first glance their press's appear properly priced. But then, one begins adding up all the little things we all need when reloading multiple calibers and zoom, the cost goes way up there. I love their products however. Now, isn't that contradictory? Lol! I think presses are kind of like cars. Whatever brand a person initially buys into, with success of course is the brand they tend to stick with. My Hornady LNL-Aps are faulted. But, they are mine. I do own Dillon's large, and baddest tumbler. Love that thing. :)

Back on topic; I have had to call Dillon once or twice over the years. I don't know if it were me, or them But, I was not impressed with the way my particular requests, and problems were handle. One was just last week. Enough said.

Good shooting,
GRB

mpmarty
02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I started reloading in 1957 with a C&H C press. In around 1969 I got an RCBS Rockchucker and a C&H swagomatic bullet swager. In 1986 I bought a 550B and never before had I had the kind of successful dealings with a press or its manufacturer. Dillon has bent over backwards time and again for me with parts and service that if our auto manufacturers would emulate Honda Toyota and the rest of the rice burning crap would never have gained a foothold here. Dillon is the finest example of American free enterprise and devotion to principle that I can think of.

Hardcast416taylor
02-23-2009, 03:08 AM
I guess this shows how long ago I got my first Dillion electronic scale. I wore it out to the extent it wouldn`t clear. I called Dillion about it. They told me to ship it to them for evaluation. About 10 days later here comes a new scale at no cost. They also relplaced the motor on my large tumbler that had to be over 2 yrs old, at no cost. :) Robert

Ron B.
02-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Boy, most of you Guys, being high on Dillon make me feel really bad for writing my negatives. I'm hard to please. Maybe I'm one of those customers whom is just "too" hard to please. And, coming from the Old School, I do believe the customer is always right. There have been times, of recent when my expectations, in an unproven product do not come close to the marketing hype. And, when I complain I get the feeling many of those listening wish I'd simply take my business elsewhere. Yes, those attitudes bother me; a lot. It's a different world now; too many people. Too much change. And, Obama just got here.

HardCast, do yo own the Terminator digital scale, by chance?

GRB

Hardcast416taylor
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Hello Golden RoyBoy. Yessir it is the terminator electric/battery scale that I am refering to. I bought the first one the year they came out. It worked great for probably 4 yrs. Then one day when I turned it on the 8`s wouldn`t clear on the screen. I still had the papers that came with it and tried the suggestion it had for clearing, zippo! I called Dillion, they suggested the same procedure over the phone. Finally the rep said to pack it and send it back for their rep to check it out. Muxt have been bad cause I got a new scale about 10 days later. I lost the motor on my huge "monster" size case tumbler about 6 yrs. past. They asked I ship the whole thing back to them! I got back my original base but everything else was new. I also got a voucher for the amount on my shipping to use on Dillion products. Sadly I hear all these past practices are gone like the dodo bird. They used to have a no problem approach to all their products and all electrical products too. I heard at one time that all the electrical scales made are made by one maker overseas, only the cases are different. Can`t be sure but I`m thinking it was an RCBS rep at a trade show (Safari Club) that said that. I tend to stay with RCBS now for their repair/return policy, otherwise I buy mostly Lee moulds or VERY old Ideal/Lyman.:-D Robert

Ron B.
02-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey HC!
Thanks for the info!

A month, or so ago I placed an order for Dillon's Terminator digital scale. I don't know what I was thinking; as I already owned several of RCBS's CM1500 combos. Long story short, I had problems with one of those and had to return it to RCBS. The day it arrived, it wouldn't work right out of the box! And, my third one stopped too! Anyway, it's the reason I ordered the Dillon. I was proven wrong. Not all DIllon products are US made! And, they don't tell you that. The Terminator arrived in good time. And, it worked. However, the clear lid was cracked; and everytime I looked at it, I saw MADE IN CHINA. Plus, I didn't like the way the default prompts worked; not allowing me to alter the programs. I'd also ordered their case for the scale; another $15. My order for it was backordered. When I called, speaking to Dillon's CS Rep Tim, he made me feel he was doing me a favor; sending me a new uncracked lid. When asked about the case, I was told it was "On a slow boat from China!" Anyway, after hanging up I thought, Yeah, that thing's going back. So, I called back, this time speaking to Dave. He said "Sure, send it back!" Which I did. it took about 2 weeks for me to get credit. And then, they only gave me credit for the actual cost of the product; not any of the delivery costs. Remember now, the lid was cracked. A day later, guess what arrived? That JengJang boat must have sped up; the case! Anyway, I've got a brand new case; and yes, another lid should you need them.

GRB

Sprue
02-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Well I own one, make that two 550's. I like un-interupted loading time and yes, I knew going in when I bought the first one that I was paying for it (pay what you can afford). You get whatcha pay for. Face it, anything is going to break or get lost sometime. Its pay for it now or later. I chose now (on the front end). Help is only a phone call away. Life goes on with the least bit of interuption - Regardless of the product/vendor, they always seem to nickle and dime us to death.[smilie=1:

As for electrical reloading tools and products, I can think of no one that warranties them for life. RCBS included.

Dillon has always been eagarly concerned & willing in my experience.

robertbank
02-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Interesting. My Hornady case tumbler is soon about to give up the ghost. The brushs on the motor are on their last life. I phoned Hornady an enquired about getting it fixed. Their reply, "If we can't fix it we will send you a new one". Now this tumbler is older than water and has tumbled a zillion cases. I was impressed. It is the only major Hornady product I own but I would not be afraid to buy their products. The downside is it would probably cost more to ship the darn thing back to them then just ordering a new tumbler.

Take Care

Bob

Boz330
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
I wore out my first Dillon tumbler and called about a motor and they asked me to send it back. Got a new one ASAP no charge. I don't blame them for not warranting the tumbler. They are running an electric motor with a weight to through it out of balance to cause the vibration, no motor is going to hold up to that forever. Broke some parts on my 550 through my own fault and they made that good and I was more than willing to pay for it. Mine has been running for close to 25 years, don't remember exactly when I got it.
I have a C&H inline for 45acp and that thing will run 700 to 800 rounds an hour once you have everything set up to go, but it is real sensitive to dirt and powder spillage. The 550 is pretty trouble free but not near as fast.

Bob

qtip223
02-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I own a 550 and square deal. Both are great! If anything wears out they replace it for free.

Jim Thompson
03-01-2009, 08:11 PM
I love my Dillon reloaders. I have the 550 and the 650. Both have a lifetime no BS warranty. The 1050 has been what Dillon terms a commercial loader and doesn't fix it after a year or so. If they know you are not a commercial loader and just a regular reloader, I have heard that they will even help you out on parts if they need it. Dillon doesn't cover electric scales or anything that uses electricity past I think a year. That was the deal when I bought my 650 and i could of had a 1050 if I wanted it, but i didn't feel I needed that much and I liked the Lifetime no BS warranty. I have had no problems with my loaders but believe Dillon would fix or replace anything that went wrong, their fault, my fault, for the life of the machine, even if I trade it off. That's a hell of a deal and warranty.

yarro
03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
It covered for life on the non-electrical parts for the tumbler. Same for the casefeeder as they replaced a part on mine that wore out and I bought it used from a high volume shooter.

-Yarro