PDA

View Full Version : Melting loaded ammo

thebigmac
02-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I have a quantity of loaded ammo which are rejects from my Camdex loader. Is it any SAFE way to "cook them off"??? Could I put them into a cast pot with a lid and fire it up?? I have to dispose them. I'm also considering saving the lead. Any
help is appreciated. :Fire:

Bullshop
02-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Why waste the components? Pull and save. Folks make a living from salvaging milsurp ammo and breaking it down for the components.
BIC/BS

thebigmac
02-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Most of them were caught in the press and are too misfigured to pull...

deltaenterprizes
02-10-2009, 09:33 PM
If you cook them off the only hazard will be the primer flying. The cases will split before enough pressure builds up to move the bullet. the only reason enough pressure is able to build up to move the projectile is that the cartridge is encased in steel in the firearm.

wiljen
02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I'd use a pipe cutter and salvage the powder by cutting the cases in half. You can then melt just the front half of the round (sans primer) to recover the lead.

454PB
02-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I use bull nose pliers to pull bullets or boolits. As long as there is any part of the boolit protruding from the case, you can get a bite on it. I have a press ram extender for the really short cases that raises them through the press die hole.

GP100man
02-11-2009, 05:40 PM
i kept some 7mm mangled bullets from my 7mag days & fire formed some7-30 waters , never hit another load that was as accurate as those mangled bullets??????
i even tried same charge with the same but new bullets , NO joy!!!!!!

i`d save em for a project?????

GP100man:cbpour:

trk
02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
If you cook them off the only hazard will be the primer flying. The cases will split before enough pressure builds up to move the bullet. the only reason enough pressure is able to build up to move the projectile is that the cartridge is encased in steel in the firearm.

Primers flying can easly penetrate the skin. Don't ask.

S.R.Custom
02-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Pull 'em.

I once had a few .45 ACP rounds that inadvertantly made their way out to the burn barrel. While they didn't 'blow up' or send a projectile over yon, they did create enough noise and disturbance to raise the concern of the neighbors.

elk hunter
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
If it were me I'd toss them. It sounds like it would take way too much time and effort to salvage any of the components.

Sounds like you have a timing or binding issue with your Camdex that needs to be addressed. I've had one for about 25 years and never had the problem you seem to be describing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

flounderman
02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
you should be able to pull them with an impact puller?

thebigmac
02-12-2009, 11:23 PM
ALL RIGHT FELLOWS. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE.. WELL--- BACK TO THE WORKBENCH..Mac

thebigmac
02-15-2009, 08:39 PM
HEY trk-- No need to ask--I KNOW!!!!

mikez
04-12-2009, 09:58 PM
you have to be kidding? right?

Ancesthntr
04-21-2009, 10:30 AM
I'd pull the bullets with an impact puller, re-use the powder, melt the bullets and take the brass to a salvage yard and trade it for some lead or tin. The primers can be punched out very, very gently using a depriming die, or you can just cut off the bottom of the case and soak all the primers in water for a while and then bury them someplace far away from children (of all ages).

shotman
04-29-2009, 02:17 AM
He is too close to Washington "cook them off" There is a world full of DAs

beagle
05-02-2009, 09:04 PM
The standard military destruction method for small arms ammo up to .50 is a"popping pit". Usually a 55 gallon drum in a pit in the ground with the contents soaked in used oil with a screen cover over it.

The NRA tests with small arms ammo (including shotshells) showed that the primer which usually is the first to go blows out of the cartridge and fails to penetrate a cardboard box.

However, it is fairly noisy and unless you have a fairly remote, fire safe area, I'd recommend trashing the old ammo./beagle

leftiye
05-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Ja won't catch me doing that! Leastways not without Beagle's pit.