07-03-2023, 10:04 PM
How Lever Action Rifles Are Made! | How It’s Made | Science Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enjz1atvJRw

MrWolf
07-04-2023, 10:16 AM
That was interesting. Thanks.

eastbank
07-04-2023, 10:42 AM
it sure gives you a insite into how much hand work was done in the 1860,s to make a reliable rifle.

pietro
07-06-2023, 08:08 PM

It was amusing to find out that the ammunition goes through & out of the barrel, and the trigger and MS are mounted in a trigger guard - not to mention it has a "leever".

:bigsmyl2:

The pic shows a Model 1866/66 Yellow Boy, but the film shows making a CCH steel-frame Model 1873/73 - I wonder if there were differences in Winchester's manufacturing process, for making either/both.

indian joe
07-06-2023, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=pietro;5597514].

It was amusing to find out that the ammunition goes through & out of the barrel, and the trigger and MS are mounted in a trigger guard - not to mention it has a "leever".

:bigsmyl2:

very refreshing to hear the "L" word pronounced correctly by someone with a northern accent.

bedbugbilly
07-09-2023, 09:48 AM
Interesting! Thanks for the post!

TD1886
07-09-2023, 01:05 PM
I would like to know the strength of the steel action with it's toggle link.

barnetmill
07-09-2023, 09:45 PM

The golden boy with bronze receiver was in 44 henry rimfire, when they went to the 44-40 with a ~40 grain charge of BP, they went to a ferrous receiver and I do not know if it was iron or steel.
So I assume the ferrous action was stronger, but the actual strength will depend on the steels and heat treatment.

For the replica 1866 some were made in 44-40 and I am assuming that the replica yellow receiver was still bronze, but I am not sure.

indian joe
07-09-2023, 10:06 PM

Weak comparitively but stronger than people think ?
Winchester blew up a 1876 with overloads - probably a lot of baloney around what it actually took but the interesting thing was the toggle links held and the blowout was the barrel underneath where it is thinned for the magazine clearance -- one of the fellers on the forums ("Shrapnel" I think) supposedly had a similar blowup with an original a few years back and same thing - blew out the barrel underneath the chamber.
The brass frame Ubertis will stretch the frame and tie up the bolt with overloads but they run fine and for a long time with the fodder they were built for .
Want to hotrod it -- go buy a Rossi !!!

TD1886
07-10-2023, 01:05 AM
Weak comparitively but stronger than people think ?
Winchester blew up a 1876 with overloads - probably a lot of baloney around what it actually took but the interesting thing was the toggle links held and the blowout was the barrel underneath where it is thinned for the magazine clearance -- one of the fellers on the forums ("Shrapnel" I think) supposedly had a similar blowup with an original a few years back and same thing - blew out the barrel underneath the chamber.
The brass frame Ubertis will stretch the frame and tie up the bolt with overloads but they run fine and for a long time with the fodder they were built for .
Want to hotrod it -- go buy a Rossi !!!

Yes, you know the toggle was used on some more modern guns. One was the Luger and that action is very strong.

barnetmill
07-10-2023, 02:01 PM
Yes, you know the toggle was used on some more modern guns. One was the Luger and that action is very strong.

Strength is a product of many factors. If you make a toggle big enough out of good steel, than it is very strong. The toggle of the winchesters and lugers were designed lock an action closed. The toggle of the Pedersen was designed by its surfaces to open at a mechanical disadvantage

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/W-2iy81k9DM/maxresdefault.jpg

TD1886
07-10-2023, 03:18 PM
Strength is a product of many factors. If you make a toggle big enough out of good steel, than it is very strong. The toggle of the winchesters and lugers were designed lock an action closed. The toggle of the Pedersen was designed by its surfaces to open at a mechanical disadvantage

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/W-2iy81k9DM/maxresdefault.jpg

I use to email with a German gunsmith that did a lot of work with Lugers including making all kinds including the carbines. He told me that a good more powerful round for the 9mm Luger was to chamber it for a 38 Super. I asked about the magazine. He said it would take it and he was right. Being the magazine is very angle the longer Super fit it there like it was made for it. I never did though as running a Super reamer into a 9mm chamber isn't the correct way to do it.

barnetmill
07-10-2023, 08:45 PM
I use to email with a German gunsmith that did a lot of work with Lugers including making all kinds including the carbines. He told me that a good more powerful round for the 9mm Luger was to chamber it for a 38 Super. I asked about the magazine. He said it would take it and he was right. Being the magazine is very angle the longer Super fit it there like it was made for it. I never did though as running a Super reamer into a 9mm chamber isn't the correct way to do it.
The 9mm chamber has taper, that the base part of the round is fatter. Interesting that the mag would handle it. There was some sort of special 9 mm round, maybe for the mauser that was longer also.
Considering the cost of lugers these days I would not do it unless I have case lots of 38 ACP or super available. The toggle link was a weak park in some US testing of luger IIRC. But they were doing .45 ACP. But it is have been a long time.
The toggle elbow strikes the sloped ears of the receiver and that causes the elbow of the toggle to bend. Such parts are subject to impact and I would not increase it in what are now mostly ancient guns.