PDA

View Full Version : Refurb Leupold scopes

murf205
07-03-2023, 11:18 AM
I was browsing Midwayusa's website and while looking for a lower powered scipe, I found that they are expecting some 1.5-4 Freedom scopes that are refurbished. And, after contacting Midway, they told me the price is the same as a brand new one. I know that Leupold & Stevens has a very protective pricing structure but a refurb? Has anyone ever used one of these scopes and if so, what were the results? I have never heard of refurb Leupolds in the past but maybe there have been. At any rate, I am hoping somebody can shed a bit of information on these.

NSB
07-03-2023, 11:55 AM
I’m just amazed that anyone would consider paying the same price for a refurbished scope as a new one. Why would anyone do that. There’s not really any shortage of Leupold scopes out there. Not even the Freedom line.

stubshaft
07-03-2023, 01:43 PM
I have one of them and it is a decent little scope, but I agree that I wouldn't pay the same as new for a refurb.

murf205
07-03-2023, 02:19 PM
I have one of them and it is a decent little scope, but I agree that I wouldn't pay the same as new for a refurb.

Is yours a refurb?

JSnover
07-04-2023, 08:22 AM
Back in the 90s I sent two scopes back to be rebuilt, one Weaver and one Leupold. As far as I know, both were made in the 70s. They charged $75.00 for one and the other was free (I can't remember which was which).

Edward
07-04-2023, 08:27 AM
Several of my 4x scopes old and finally died were replaced (NC) and in one case replaced with a 6x because ? They did ask 1st !/Ed

murf205
07-04-2023, 09:19 AM
I don't mean to question Leupold's service departments ability to refurb a scope but even Nosler gives you a slight break on factory seconds. Since these scopes are Freedom Series and all are 1.5-4x, I wonder if there was/is an inherent defect. As soon as the 4th is over, I think I'll give the good people in Bend, Oregon a call.

Rapier
07-04-2023, 10:05 AM
There is one born every second. Need to hear this marketing pitch, we went through it and it is better than new. Why wan't the new so good, to start with then.

centershot
07-04-2023, 01:52 PM
The refurbs carry the same lifetime warranty as all Leupolds have, but why would anyone buy a refurb when the price is identical to a new one??? I've had four Leupolds fail in service, one while on a hunt! As far as I'm concerned, they're no better than some of the others, just more expensive. For my money, I've found that the Hawke Vantage IR series are equal optically, just as tough (or more so!) and also carry a lifetime warranty. Hawke warrants these scopes for use on any caliber rifle and on spring-piston airguns. I have a Weirauch 95 with a Hawke Vantage IR 3-9x on it, going strong for three years now, no problems. Check them out, buy one and spend the money you save on ammo!

https://www.airgundepot.com/airgunscopes.html?manufacturer=Hawke%20Sport%20Opt ics

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-04-2023, 01:58 PM
I'm not saying this is the case, just a guess in the dark.
Sometimes when a manufacturer makes a new and improved product, they will re-work the older product on the shelf to be as good as the new and improved.

Hannibal
07-04-2023, 02:23 PM
A seller can ask any price they want for a good or service. The question is are people are willing to pay that price?

I suppose if they were to raise the price of the scopes that aren't refurbished that would be better somehow...... ?

Shawlerbrook
07-04-2023, 02:48 PM
Great little scopes, but at least a 10% discount for a refurbished.

Edward
07-04-2023, 02:52 PM
Great little scopes, but at least a 10% discount for a refurbished.

Like previously stated NO Charge for the straight 4x replacement/Ed

murf205
07-04-2023, 03:20 PM
I sent a question to Leupold and asked if their rimfire 4x would withstand the recoil of a 30-06 class rifle and also IF it would, would they make one that is parallax corrected for 100 yds as a special order. Smaller 4x scopes are are almost non existent, even used. Sometmes I think I must be one of the last 6 people in the world who doesn't think they need a scope as big as another rifle!
Centershot, thanks for that Hawke tip, I will look them over.

whisler
07-04-2023, 09:27 PM
I have a Hawke 4-12x40 AO on my CZ455 and I like it so far.

M-Tecs
07-04-2023, 10:36 PM
In the past Natchez sold a lot of refurbished Leupold scopes. They were always discounted. I never purchased a refurbished one but they also sold discontinued models at a very good discount. Most of my higher end Leupold scopes were purchased from discontinued models or models that they changed the name on. I bought a bunch of Mark 4/Long range scopes at close to half the price.

07-05-2023, 09:26 AM
I recently went shopping for a 1.5-4 Freedom, ended up with a reticle that I did not want, but it was available and the standard duplex that I wanted was not anywhere to be found.

I MIGHT have paid the same for a refurbished standard duplex. I got one called the “MOA Ring”, it was that or the “Pig Plex”.

murf205
07-05-2023, 09:57 AM
I recently went shopping for a 1.5-4 Freedom, ended up with a reticle that I did not want, but it was available and the standard duplex that I wanted was not anywhere to be found.

I MIGHT have paid the same for a refurbished standard duplex. I got one called the “MOA Ring”, it was that or the “Pig Plex”.

I saw a Youtube posting of the MOA reticle and it showed the MOA reticle to all but disappear against a dark background. It looks like Leupold is cramming the latest and supposedly greatest down our throats. I, too, am a fan of the duplex and really like the heavy duplex with the fine portion in the center. But alas, it seems you could never shoot a pig with an old antiquated reticle like that.

stubshaft
07-05-2023, 01:29 PM
Is yours a refurb?

Nope, bought it new.

Duckiller
07-05-2023, 04:48 PM
Leopold Freedom scopes are supposedly "Made in China" . Am looking to replace some 75 year old fixed power Weavers. Looking at 2-7 power Leopolds. Anyone have other suggestions? Think I want something assembled in the US. Supposedly all good glass comes from either Germany or Japan.

M-Tecs
07-05-2023, 05:58 PM
Leopold Freedom scopes are supposedly "Made in China" . Am looking to replace some 75 year old fixed power Weavers. Looking at 2-7 power Leopolds. Anyone have other suggestions? Think I want something assembled in the US. Supposedly all good glass comes from either Germany or Japan.

Not according to Leupold.

https://www.leupold.com/blog/post/leupold-announces-new-vx-freedom-series-of-riflescopes#:~:text=The%20VX-Freedom%20series%20is%20everything%20consumers%20e xpect%20from,riflescopes%2C%20and%20guaranteed%20f or%20a%20lifetime%20of%20performance.

The VX-Freedom series is everything consumers expect from a Leupold: designed, machined, and assembled in the Oregon factory, tested to the same ruggedness standards as top-tier riflescopes, and guaranteed for a lifetime of performance.

Duckiller
07-06-2023, 05:26 PM
I stand corrected. Question is what do they do to make the Freedom Scopes cheap. A VX3 is about $600.00. A similar Freedom is $300. My next scope is going to be a VX3.

Kestrel4k
07-06-2023, 06:27 PM
Leopold Freedom scopes are supposedly "Made in China" [...]
Where did that information come from, by the way ? Online forums don't count.

I stand corrected. Question is what do they do to make the Freedom Scopes cheap. A VX3 is about $600.00. A similar Freedom is $300. My next scope is going to be a VX3.
Feel free to handle & adjust a Freedom, then buy the VX3 to see the difference. :roll:

Walks
07-06-2023, 06:34 PM
Do not buy Leupold.
They Do NOT stand behind their products.
They will replace a top of the line scope from 25yrs ago with a cheap piece of Chinese crap that costs less today then you paid for that top of the line scope 25yrs ago.

Kestrel4k
07-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Feel free to buy Leupold, with confidence.
They stand behind their products 110%; my experience with sending in /many/ of their older models for service checks over the years.
They will replace an obsolete entry-level scope from decades ago, with a top-quality modern US-manufactured model with up-to-date optics; if you hold them to a higher standard, they can and do bump the replacement unit at least one or even multiple model lines.

M-Tecs
07-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Do not buy Leupold.
They will replace a top of the line scope from 25yrs ago with a cheap piece of Chinese crap that costs less today then you paid for that top of the line scope 25yrs ago.

Leupold does not sell Chinese scopes. What brand/model of scope did the send you?

A while back Leupold replaced a scope that was damaged in a car accident. It was Vari-X 3 from the 80's. They replaced it with the equivalent current production scope. No charge.

Walks
07-06-2023, 10:32 PM
Well then I got really ripped off. The ocular bell from a Vari-X 2 that I bought new in 1975 literally fell off. Sent it in for repair or replacement. At first they wanted $100 for replacement. When I said that was a ripoff, they sent me a bottom of the barrel replacement. No where as good optics as the one it replaced 30yrs later.

At the same time I bought a new spotting scope. It came in a sealed and strapped box with china all over it. And there was a tiny gold sticker on the bottom of the scope itself that said china.

Hannibal
07-06-2023, 11:03 PM
There are knock-offs around. Sometimes I think about an EBAY buy, then I rethink it and wonder why I was looking there in the first place.

M-Tecs
07-06-2023, 11:15 PM
There are knock-offs around. Sometimes I think about an EBAY buy, then I rethink it and wonder why I was looking there in the first place.

Leupold has a site to check of counterfeits. I will not purchase used without checking. I've seen two in person and a bunch listed on eBay.

https://www.leupold.com/support/resources/counterfeit-warning

https://opticsvilla.com/where-are-leupold-scopes-made/

Walks
07-07-2023, 12:36 AM
I bought My spotting scope from Midway.

M-Tecs
07-07-2023, 01:59 AM

The best optical glass comes from Japan and Germany. Leupold uses Japanese Glass for most. I have heard claims the low-end entry level scopes like the Freedoms use Chinese glass. The Japanese glass info is solid. Leupold was sued about 20 years ago over this.

The claims of the Freedoms/entry level scopes using Chinese glass has not been proven or disproven to me.

murf205
07-07-2023, 01:38 PM
I bought my son a Wind River series spotter by Leupold and the glass was terrible. He has 20/20 (young) vision and he could not make out 22 cal bullet holes at 100 yds. I tried every focus setting on that spotting scope and it was just terrible. I called Leupold customer service and explained thee problem. The guy I talked to said send it in and gave me his name so I could write "Attn: Joe" on the box. (can't remember his name now). In about 10 days, I received a new spotting scope (not Gold Ring) and I swear that it is brighter and sharper than my Kowa. I might snivel over the fact that they changed the reticle on a scope I want but as far as warranty, they can't be beat.
BTW, I got an answer from Leupold stating that the rim fire scopes were tested to the same recoil standards as the centerfire ones.

Hannibal
07-07-2023, 02:15 PM
I've seen semi-auto .22s that would beat a centerfire scope to pieces. An old Stevens 'gill gun' is an excellent example.

stubshaft
07-07-2023, 02:43 PM
Do not buy Leupold.

I agree! I had to "fight" with Leupold to get a comparable scope when they REFUSED to repair my 3X9 Vari-X with AO and wanted to replace it with Freedom series scope. It took over 6 months to finally get a suitable replacement.

07-08-2023, 06:15 PM
Not arguing, just stating my findings: my new Freedom is as good or better than my old Vari-X-II.
The new less expensive scopes have Etched Reticles rather than wire. I prefer the etched reticle because it seems to me that it will be more durable.

deces
07-08-2023, 06:56 PM
I think I have caught midway being shady twice. Once was when I bought a Vltor stock years ago, I could tell it had an action set in it before. I figured someone wasn't happy with it and returned it to midway and they just added back into inventory.
The second time was about a month ago. A friend ordered 3 bags of Lapua brass, one was slit open and to our amazement about half of the cases had been already fired.
I know Larry has left the company. Maybe this is what we can come to expect from them.

porthos
07-08-2023, 07:43 PM
my question is: why is this thread in the cast boolit section??