PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Ramrods

Sasquatch-1
07-03-2023, 06:58 AM
For anyone who may be interested in replacing their wooden ramrod with a fiberglass rod I found this company online: Max-Gain Systems https://mgs4u.com/. The rods come in either black or white and the size I ordered were 46.5" long. Plenty long for most Pennsylvania style long rifles.

Shipping was about $13.00 whether you order one or twenty. If you know several people who would want a couple you can split the shipping.

LAGS
07-03-2023, 07:29 AM
I did a quick review of what they sell.
They look pretty good price wise.
I may have to check into them a bit.
Thank you.
There are other things that I use fiberglass rods for from time to time.
Like tent poles and camo .screen fence poles

Sasquatch-1
07-03-2023, 08:07 AM
They have them up to 93" and 1.5" dia. They also have hollow tube and square stock.

07-03-2023, 08:13 AM
Quite some time ago, I ordered some brass rods from MSG to make ram rods. Pricey as I remember but I could turn threaded ends for screw in attachments. Added weight to the rifles and are a pleasure to use. The weight of the rod assists in the loading. Not for every style rifle, but if you have brass furniture, it's goes well with the overall look. Just another way to skin a cat.

NSB
07-03-2023, 09:37 AM
I’ve been using Spinjag ramrods for years now and I’ve found them preferable due to their patented started which turns following the rifling down the barrel. You get no distortion to the bullet or ball using them.
https://www.spinjag.com/giramrod.php

John Taylor
07-04-2023, 12:18 PM
I discourage the use of fiberglass for ram rods. The start to fray after a while and you get slivers in your hand and also the glass is harder than the barrel and will ware the rifling out fast. A polly rod does not hurt the barrel but they are a bit more flexible.

Maven
07-04-2023, 01:20 PM
A couple of thoughts about fiberglass ramrods. First John Taylor is correct, but you can cover the rod in heat shrink tubing + use a muzzle guard to practically eliminate the abrasion problem Second, if you own a drill press, you can buy those yellow, green, orange, etc. driveway markers at big box store for cheap, apply heat shrink tubing + muzzle guard then epoxy your brass fittings to each end, The last step is to pin them, maybe in 2 places per end?

Edit, I forgot to add that you obviously cut these to length.

uscra112
07-04-2023, 01:35 PM
I discourage the use of fiberglass for ram rods. They start to fray after a while and you get slivers in your hand and also the glass is harder than the barrel and will wear the rifling out fast. A polly rod does not hurt the barrel but they are a bit more flexible.

My sentiments exactly. Carbon fiber even worse. Ask me how I know. Delrin should be excellent. Spring steel would be good - a brass rod could get bent too easily, I would think. My two get by with traditional hickory rods, but then I shoot them about once a decade.

LAGS
07-04-2023, 01:55 PM
I agree with Mr Taylor too.
But when I am teaching others to shoot muzzleloaders, I tend to let them use a fiberglass or plastic rod to start.
There is a less chance of the new guy bending or breaking the ramrod.
And I use a fiberglass rod when hunting , so any bad weather makes a wood rod swell or or warp.
But fiberglass rods with a protected surface makes a good range rod.

charlie b
07-04-2023, 07:18 PM
I only bench shoot my ML (and not much of that anymore either). I just use a stout cleaning rod of sufficient length. I buy jags and stuff for the std #8 thread on the cleaning rod. Coated stainless with a good bore guide.

DaveM
07-04-2023, 08:34 PM
I'm in the avoid fiberglas ramrods boat.

However, I use Delrin ramrods from Track of the Wolf in a couple rifles and they work well. The one modification they need IMO is to pin the tips on. They are glued and/or press-fit and IMO it's just a matter of time before you lose the tip and a jag down the bore if you use it for swabbing or pulling a ball. I glue and pin all my ramrod tips.

uscra112
07-04-2023, 08:40 PM
Perfectly feasible to D&T Delrin. I make Delrin jags for my cartridge rifles, with a long 8-32 setscrew threaded into the end.

DaveM
07-04-2023, 08:47 PM
Perfectly feasible to D&T Delrin. I make Delrin jags for my cartridge rifles, with a long 8-32 setscrew threaded into the end.

Certainly, but I was referring to metal tips mounted on the end of a ramrod and shown in this pic of my Jackie Brown canoe gun.

stubshaft
07-05-2023, 01:27 AM
I must be the odd man out. I use anodized aluminum rod with a brass ramrod tip pinned in place.

https://i.imgur.com/YK7RPXYm.jpg

GregLaROCHE
07-05-2023, 05:12 AM
I was surprised to see how inexpensive they are. A lot less than brass these days.

Sasquatch-1
07-05-2023, 07:44 AM
I normally use a brass range rod and will seldom use the fiberglass rods. I still think they are a better choice than breaking off a hickory rod and running it into my hand. I also gave the rods a coat of polyurethane.

Also, the brass rod I use is a "T" shaped rod and I have been using them for many years. I have never come close to bending one. It has also removed MANY a round from a dry-balled rifle. You can't beat the "T" handle for hooking around something to help pull the ball.

John Taylor
07-05-2023, 09:28 AM
I must be the odd man out. I use anodized aluminum rod with a brass ramrod tip pinned in place.

https://i.imgur.com/YK7RPXYm.jpg

Aluminum shot gun cleaning rods are good as long as you don't let the aluminum get oxidized, they make sandpaper out of oxidized aluminum.