PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use open sights anymore?

GregLaROCHE
06-28-2023, 02:03 PM
My son in Alaska just asked me how he could improve his shooting accuracy. He bought a Marlin in 45/70 maybe five years ago with open sights. The first thing I asked was if he had a sling that could be used to steady shots and if he knew how to use it. I don’t have a response from him yet. I decided to search on YouTube to send him some examples. What surprised me is that I couldn’t find one person using a sling with open sights. Everyone had scopes! How many people still shoot with open sights?

HWooldridge
06-28-2023, 02:06 PM
I still do - but I have to wear my glasses to see the front sight. I’m pretty confident to 100 yards under most conditions - just depends on the game and the rifle. Peep sights are much easier for me than barrel sights.

veeman
06-28-2023, 02:43 PM
I have 2 AR15's, they are the only rifle that have scopes. The rest are Winchester's or repo's, and one by one they are getting the rear sight replaced by Marbles Bulleseye sight's. Makes a world of difference. Only one thus far has had the front sight changed to a fiber optic sight.
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render/00-Dhr2tlvawMSNFX4TrMAMCKr_1AnQ3pv5Eb7vbRPURMrcUz5jC9 9HTII5YqVafs4uV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681681161

redhawk0
06-28-2023, 02:52 PM
I do with my Henry 45-70 and my Winchester 94 30-30. Pretty much everything else has a scope with the exception of the old Military rifles.

BUT......I did change out the black sights for Fiber Optic....Its easier to see the front Red dot between the two Green Rear ones.

redhawk

414gates
06-28-2023, 02:56 PM
Pity you're on the wrong continent, but if you weren't, you could pop in to one of our shoots where most rifles are open sights.

http://bigboresa.org/basa-shoot-format-and-information/

georgerkahn
06-28-2023, 03:28 PM
My son in Alaska just asked me how he could improve his shooting accuracy. He bought a Marlin in 45/70 maybe five years ago with open sights. The first thing I asked was if he had a sling that could be used to steady shots and if he knew how to use it. I don’t have a response from him yet. I decided to search on YouTube to send him some examples. What surprised me is that I couldn’t find one person using a sling with open sights. Everyone had scopes! How many people still shoot with open sights?

I categorize my arms into four different "types": To wit, MILITARY which includes M1 carbines, M1 Garands, 30-40 Krags, and the like which are ALL 'scopeless. CLASSICS, which include the venerable (18)94s, 1892s, and similar are mostly (all 'cept one) scopeless. ANTIQUES also are -- e.g., Marlin 27S -- scopeless. Annnd, lastly, TARGET -- e.g., CZ452 -- are pretty much all scoped. The one rifle I have which is 'scoped (a rebranded Redfield TASCO on a Marlin 336) is indeed a pleasure. But, for a good many years there was no greater pleasure in the woods for me than having the leather sling wrapped about my left wrist/forearm with my 1892 .38WCF's butt tight in my shoulder, seeing a deer centred vis it's open (Marble) sights. Perhaps reinforcing me perhaps being a "nut case" -- but I'd almost feel as if I was "cheating" to have a 'scope on a deer rifle; the steadiness provided by the sling was/is such that I still employ it on the 'scoped Marlin I mentioned. Too many folks I've visited with through the years honestly believe the only purpose of the sling is to enable carrying their rifle. Soooo very wrong!
Yup -- I mostly use open sights and a sling.
geo

Winger Ed.
06-28-2023, 03:36 PM
I've got some military style semi-autos and some lever actions.
The only one I have with a scope is a Rem700 in .30-06.

Using a sling is a good idea. And can make an improvement,,,,,,,, almost as good as proper coaching and practice.

Wayne Smith
06-28-2023, 04:05 PM
I was putting scopes on all my rifles because of my extreme near sightedness. Then I had cataract surgery and paid for the more expensive lenses that adjust. Now I'm shooting my 30-30 and 25-20 happily with receiver sights.

Ajohns
06-28-2023, 04:20 PM
All of my levers are receiver sighted, or open barrel sights.
Most all of my high power bolts and single shots (except rimfire) have scopes.
But, am building a receiver sighted 257 Roberts bolt action now. And why? because I've learned through time that without a scope is usually easier to one hand carry. And, because for the range I can comfortably shoot those sights, the Roberts is basically point and shoot with no hold over.

deces
06-28-2023, 04:24 PM
I'm too broke to buy glass, so yeah.

BLAHUT
06-28-2023, 04:41 PM

All the time in competition, and some hunting... He wants to get better accuracy, get a cheap .177 air gun and shoot standing for 20/30 minutes a day, in 30 days he will tighten his grope by half, in the next 30 days he will tighten his grope even more, continue every day and see the improvement..... Shooting is an acquired skill, to stay good practice is needed. With a .177 airgun a box of 500 pellets is say $5.00, a box of 20, 45/70 is what $70.00 ???

Hannibal
06-28-2023, 04:48 PM
Good advice. I've never shot open sights well but I've never had time to practice. I should work on this myself.

Mk42gunner
06-28-2023, 04:49 PM
If your son is young enough and has good enough vision to still use open sights, here are a few suggestions:

1. If staying with open barrel mounted sights, I like a Sourdough front sight with a flat topped rear blade. The sourdough sight normally has a brass 45 degree section which shows up remarkably well, but even if it is blacked out, it still gives a good profile. The sight picture is akin to a handguns Patridge sights.

2. The Marlin is also very usable with a receiver sight, if he is a one load per gun type of guy, there isn't much wrong with a simple sight like the Williams 5D. Front sight of preference is still the sourdough, although the Ashley center stripe flat topped post works a well.

3. Failing that, a low powered Leupold works.

My eyes are getting bad enough that I don't hunt with iron sights anymore. I still like them but their use for me is limited to a range now. Even my around the house varmint Marlin Model 60 has a 4x Simmons scope on it.

Robert

stubshaft
06-28-2023, 05:25 PM
I still prefer to shoot with open sights on my leverguns, I think putting a scope on one ruins the balance of the rifle.

Hick
06-28-2023, 05:28 PM
All open sights, as the longest distance available at our rifle range is 400 yards. I actually own three scopes that came on three of my rifles, and they are safely stored in the closet.

huntinlever
06-28-2023, 05:39 PM
I still prefer to shoot with open sights on my leverguns, I think putting a scope on one ruins the balance of the rifle.

Agreed, and I hate it for so many reasons. For me, it's a matter of keeping shots within 50 yards in good light, or with the FX II 2.5 x 20, hunting in most conditions I come across. I'd give anything not to have to do it, but I think nature has its way.

FWIW, I've been doing load development with my son's 336, Skinner peep, using Hornady LVRRev and some speer FP's. 50 yards, 37.2 gr LVR. I do have an eye RX, but find Lo-power readers get me close enough for him to go:

I think 50 yards might be a limit.

armoredman
06-28-2023, 05:41 PM
A few years ago.
https://i.imgur.com/BkzdmaD.jpg

pworley1
06-28-2023, 06:12 PM
Antiques, C&R, and handguns use open sights most modern rifles have scopes.

quilbilly
06-28-2023, 06:57 PM
In thick country like the "jungles" of West Coast rain forest, its tree farms, or its river bottoms, you often have to be "greased lightning" to get a shot at close range. The old fashion buckhorn sight is the quickest in my experience. With a scope, all you might see is hair.

15meter
06-28-2023, 07:09 PM
Dozen and a half+ military are all original iron sights, most of the 22's are open sights. The varmint rifles are all scoped, along with the egg shoot match rifle. Shot a bunch of double rifle/boomer English bolt guns that were all open sighted.

Over the last 10 years, its probably been 20 to 1 unscoped vs scoped rounds. Add air rifle to the mix and it probably goes 30+ to 1.

And air rifle offhand practice is tough to beat for the price. I've got a 24x32 heated work shop that diagonally, I can get 30+ feet of indoor practice during the winter. Shooting practice plus exercise(3 of the 4 air rifles are multi-pump, #4 is a side cock RWS.), what's not to like?

Except when the back stop isn't tough enough and I dimple the steel siding from the inside[smilie=1:

Dom
06-28-2023, 07:35 PM
I have open sights on most of my rifles, with quick release rings on the scopes. When on the hunt , one little slip & your scope can be toast. Reassuring to me to have back up open sights.

muskeg13
06-28-2023, 07:40 PM
While I have scopes mounted on some rifles, most of mine are outfitted with a receiver sight that accepts the Merit adjustable aperture. As long as I can still see well enough to use them, I prefer shooting with receiver sights mounted as far to the rear/close to the eye as possible. Bolt hunting rifles with scopes also have Redfield bases mounted as a back up. My rifle/sight inventory includes Redfield Series 70 and 80, Lyman 57 and 38, Williams Foolproof, Marbles, Pacific, Parker-Hale, MVA, Pedersoli, various military receiver sights and a few others. I have a few real "open" sights on several antique military rifles, a M94, and of course all handguns. In my opinion, this is the finest sight you can mount on a rifle:

Sam Sackett
06-28-2023, 07:51 PM
Levers, all iron sights. Pumps & bolts, scopes. Iron sights are under 100 yards anymore. Things are getting pretty blurry.

Sam Sackett

Bazoo
06-28-2023, 08:25 PM
I shoot irons whenever possible. I just don’t particularly like scopes. They offer a lot of advantage for low light situations.

Harter66
06-28-2023, 08:33 PM
I learned to shoot irons , taught my kids to also .

I lived and hunted "the far west" most of my life , irons didn't cut it for big game. If you've never hunted above the tree line you can't understand . It wasn't sniping it was just a reality that 300 yd might be the only shot you got during the 16 day 1 by tag only hunt you entered the lottery draw for in April and got notified in June of the September, October, or November hunt . I always had in mind that I could trip 2 hours from the truck and lose a whole days hunt . My last "long hunt" rifle had a twist of Leopold mount with a Williams adjustable rear and a flip up tab peep fixed to the rear of the base . They gave me the potential of 300 yd fortunately the only place I used them was the range . Nope not a set up I'd use except the last weekend on the afternoon hunt back to the truck .

Living in "the green hell" 150 yd is a long shot of legendary proportions at 57 even with glasses my vision remains such that peeps , Vs and Us are still useful and I don't see me not using them where I don't expect over a 100 yd shot.

I shoot a lot of shotguns so irons are just natural to me .
I ain't scoping a lever gun.
I even have a peep to put on the M70 06' and Gew 98 275 Rigby .

GregLaROCHE
06-28-2023, 08:39 PM
This post originated because my son asked me if I had any advice on a mono or bipod for his Marlin lever gun. I couldn’t picture a bipod on a lever gun so I suggested other ways to improve his accuracy, one of which was using the sling to help brace for the shot. When I looked for an example on YouTube, there wasn’t one showing a the sling, without a scoped rifle.

I agree that practice is the best way to improve. The idea of getting an air gun is good. I’ll pass it on to him. I can remember once one of the major gun manufacturers offered a set of identical rifles. One was a high powered hunting rifle and the other was chambered in 22lr for practicing.

M-Tecs
06-28-2023, 08:44 PM
I use whatever is best for the application or rules. I've shot iron out to a 1,000 yards with Service Rifles, match rifles for NRA Highpower/Palma and BPCR. Properly focusing on the front sight is problematic for most.

jimb16
06-28-2023, 09:12 PM
I have glass on five. The other 30 are irons or peeps.

06-28-2023, 09:34 PM
For me, buckhorns are just OK (I've been spoiled by scopes and the attendant accuracy). A step up are peep sights. Lyman traditional are dandy as is the "Skinner Peep". Front sight choices are dependant on the environment. What's good in the deep woods isn't necessarily good in the desert. So mix the locale he'll be in with the selection of front sight / rear sight. At least, that's how I see it.

frkelly74
06-28-2023, 10:11 PM
I have several ar rifles with scopes, two are old weaver steel scopes and those work. Two have dot sights with no magnification which I really don't care much for. I have one that has original aperture and post which I was used to from my 50ft 22 qualifications when I was a teen. I made Distinguished Expert by the way. If you have a rifle that just has that picatinny rail what are good solid iron sights to use. I would also like some open sights of some sort for an AR pistol. Simple and strong is what I am after.

Cast10
06-28-2023, 10:11 PM
I’m 62.
I have a new Miroku Winchester 1894 in 38-55.
I have just installed a new Williams FP sight. I can tell you, I can see through that peep sight real good. Front sight needs to be replaced for more heighth, but that small brass bead is the thing. Haven’t shot it yet, but that peep sight is good for me.

D.Bullets
06-28-2023, 10:22 PM
A few years ago.
https://i.imgur.com/BkzdmaD.jpg

Nice

BadgerShooter
06-28-2023, 10:28 PM
When I'm hunting in the woods, I use a ghost ring peep on the 45-70. Works great. I think in the woods, you shoot game in spite of your scope. I have used scopes in the woods and have killed game, but I find the 45-70 and a 350 grain paper patch bullet at full Marlin pressures and my peep sights works the best for me. A long shot in the woods for me is 100 yards. Hunting on the open marshes or fields, glass is hands down better, but don't discount iron sights.

freakonaleash
06-28-2023, 11:08 PM
All my lever guns have open factory sights and/or peeps. Front bead sights help me a lot. All of my schuetzen rifles are scoped. I shoot scoped guns far better.

Winger Ed.
06-28-2023, 11:36 PM
Something I put on my new Henry .22 is those fire sights with the colored fiber optic 'threads' in them.

I'm an open sight guy, and I really like them.
The front sight is one color, and the rear is another.
Target acquisition is instantaneous as is sight alignment even in poor light.
It reminds me of shooting a shot gun where you see the target, then pull the gun up a sight on it all in one motion.
For a well aimed shot, I think they are a little quicker than a (internal) red dot or even a laser dot.

35 Whelen
06-29-2023, 12:15 AM
This post originated because my son asked me if I had any advice on a mono or bipod for his Marlin lever gun. I couldn’t picture a bipod on a lever gun so I suggested other ways to improve his accuracy, one of which was using the sling to help brace for the shot. When I looked for an example on YouTube, there wasn’t one showing a the sling, without a scoped rifle.

I agree that practice is the best way to improve. The idea of getting an air gun is good. I’ll pass it on to him. I can remember once one of the major gun manufacturers offered a set of identical rifles. One was a high powered hunting rifle and the other was chambered in 22lr for practicing.

There is so, so, SO much more to shooting than most people realize. I was blessed a dozen years ago to have participated in local High Power matches and have a couple of mentors that taught me how to shoot. That includes how to properly use a sling to help steady a rifle. I just THOUGHT I knew how to shoot until these guys started helping me.
As to your son- if he can't find a local range that has High Power competition, I think the Appleseed shoots are probably a good way to go.

35W

Bazoo
06-29-2023, 01:27 AM
A lever action 22 rifle is bout the best thing a big bore lever gun fancier can have. It will afford lots of practice and fun.

One of the things I've figured out is, not all irons shoot the same. A cheap 22 with a square blade front and a flat top rear is more accurate than a round bead front and semi-buckhorn rear because you can get a better, more consistent sight picture with the former. Marlin bead and buck sights are decent though and I can shoot them okay. Finer sights are better for precision aiming. A 1/16" bead vs a 3/32 bead is more accurate.

Some though are not as good, like what came on my '70 made Winchester 94. I changed the rear out for a Marbles semi-buckhorn and my accuracy improved, then there was another great improvement after I reversed the white diamond so that it was facing forward. The sight picture makes a lot of difference, so I suggest trying different things if at first things don't jive.

Another thing I've learned is that the target makes a big difference. A plain cardboard backer with a fluorescent aiming point is what works best for me so far. EZ2C targets are pretty dang good too. Having the aiming point be large enough to see for the distance you're at is very important for accuracy. Trying to see a 2" circle at 50 yards vs a 4" circle, will cause eye strain and thus, not so good of marksmanship.

Marksmanship basic practice and dry firing daily helps build muscles to be able to hold steady from the field positions.

Larry Gibson
06-29-2023, 10:27 AM
The proper use of a sling for shooting with a lever action having a 2 piece stock is not recommended. The tension of the sling can warp/bend the barrel enough to seriously alter the zero. This is most noticeable with a receiver sight or scope mounted on the receiver. With the rear barrel mounted sight it is not noticeable with light to moderate sling tension.

huntinlever
06-29-2023, 10:38 AM
The proper use of a sling for shooting with a lever action having a 2 piece stock is not recommended. The tension of the sling can warp/bend the barrel enough to seriously alter the zero. This is most noticeable with a receiver sight or scope mounted on the receiver. With the rear barrel mounted sight it is not noticeable with light to moderate sling tension.

I think I might have seen this also discussed in Jeff Cooper's Art of the Rifle? Been a long time and in a move many books have been misplaced.

huntinlever
06-29-2023, 10:47 AM
A lever action 22 rifle is bout the best thing a big bore lever gun fancier can have. It will afford lots of practice and fun.

One of the things I've figured out is, not all irons shoot the same. A cheap 22 with a square blade front and a flat top rear is more accurate than a round bead front and semi-buckhorn rear because you can get a better, more consistent sight picture with the former. Marlin bead and buck sights are decent though and I can shoot them okay. Finer sights are better for precision aiming. A 1/16" bead vs a 3/32 bead is more accurate.

Some though are not as good, like what came on my '70 made Winchester 94. I changed the rear out for a Marbles semi-buckhorn and my accuracy improved, then there was another great improvement after I reversed the white diamond so that it was facing forward. The sight picture makes a lot of difference, so I suggest trying different things if at first things don't jive.

Another thing I've learned is that the target makes a big difference. A plain cardboard backer with a fluorescent aiming point is what works best for me so far. EZ2C targets are pretty dang good too. Having the aiming point be large enough to see for the distance you're at is very important for accuracy. Trying to see a 2" circle at 50 yards vs a 4" circle, will cause eye strain and thus, not so good of marksmanship.

Marksmanship basic practice and dry firing daily helps build muscles to be able to hold steady from the field positions.

My son's load is developed and ready to go, so I'd like to try (yet again), to see if I could conceivably use a Skinner. I did find a 6" bullseye with a red center was much more helpful than the sighting in targets I use with scoped rifles. But I felt 50 yards was about it. Now I wonder if the trouble might be because the red center is so small. Maybe trying a plain backboard with a 4" red solid circle?

The other thing is that he's got the Skinner, but with a bead front, which he likes. I think a flat Patridge style front would be far better.

Appreciate the thread Greg, sorry for stealing a bit of focus for my needs. Good luck finding a good solution for your son.

35 Whelen
06-29-2023, 10:48 AM
All firearms without free floating forearms are susceptible to changes in POI when too much sling pressure is applied. Moderation and trial and error should be used.

36W

BRatigan
06-29-2023, 10:50 AM
I'm 66 and only use open sights. I use Skinners on my 94 Sporter and all of my other levers use stock sights. It works for me.

FergusonTO35
06-29-2023, 11:30 AM
I use scopes on most of my deer rifles because I can't really hit anything beyond 100 yards without one. Also, a scope presents a much better sight picture in dim light when hunting gets intense. I took the biggest deer of my life in very dim light with a little Weaver 1-3x20 atop my 336. Placed the slug precisely where it needed to go and he was lights out. That was a hoss of a deer, and I think that with sights it is much more likely I could have made a fatal shot but he still ran off the property.

Winger Ed.
06-29-2023, 01:06 PM
I was blessed a dozen years ago to have participated in local High Power matches and have a couple of mentors that taught me how to shoot.

The shooting sports is the only competition where I've seen competitors go to great lengths to help each other.
I asked a guy one time why that is.

He told me they want you to be at your absolute best, and not have any excuses
when the scores come in and they beat you like a rented mule.

huntinlever
06-29-2023, 01:24 PM
The shooting sports is the only competition where I've seen competitors go to great lengths to help each other.
I asked a guy one time why that is.

He told me they want you to be at your absolute best, and not have any excuses
when the scores come in and they beat you like a rented mule.

:lol:

GregLaROCHE
06-29-2023, 02:06 PM

This is something interesting to consider. I never used the sling on my Marlin to steady my shot. Most were plinking or fast impulse shots. I have used the sling in full wood stocks before to improve my shots, but when hunting, I would always find something that I could use as a steady rest.

buckshotshoey
06-29-2023, 02:35 PM
I have 2 AR15's, they are the only rifle that have scopes. The rest are Winchester's or repo's, and one by one they are getting the rear sight replaced by Marbles Bulleseye sight's. Makes a world of difference. Only one thus far has had the front sight changed to a fiber optic sight.
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render/00-Dhr2tlvawMSNFX4TrMAMCKr_1AnQ3pv5Eb7vbRPURMrcUz5jC9 9HTII5YqVafs4uV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681681161
I have this on my Henry 45-70. WONDERFUL sight.As long as I'm wearing my glasses that is. Farsighted, and hard to see a good front sight picture.

Shawlerbrook
06-29-2023, 06:05 PM
I use open sights on some of my old leverguns, but stay very selective on shots taken. On some newer levers I have peeps, but mostly hunted with newer scoped Marlins.

indian joe
06-29-2023, 07:00 PM
All the time in competition, and some hunting... He wants to get better accuracy, get a cheap .177 air gun and shoot standing for 20/30 minutes a day, in 30 days he will tighten his grope by half, in the next 30 days he will tighten his grope even more, continue every day and see the improvement..... Shooting is an acquired skill, to stay good practice is needed. With a .177 airgun a box of 500 pellets is say $5.00, a box of 20, 45/70 is what $70.00 ???

this !!!!!!

murf205
06-29-2023, 08:16 PM
I really prefer open sights on lever guns but my eyes think it is a terrible idea. Fiber optic, better-peep sights better still-low powered scope-I can see what I am doing. Whatever it takes to keep us old geezers shooting!

Texas by God
06-29-2023, 08:23 PM
I shoot a 510 Remington .22, an M1 Carbine, a Winchester 94 38-55, and a Krag 30-40 with open sights.
Only the .22 has barrel sights.
Shooting from the sitting position, I’d be confident at 100 yards in good light with the centerfire rifles above.
But I LOVE scopes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noah Zark
06-29-2023, 10:41 PM
I'm 66 and only use open sights. I use Skinners on my 94 Sporter and all of my other levers use stock sights. It works for me.

I'm 68 and do the same. All lever, single shot, semi-auto, and boltgun rifles except one bolt and three Ruger #1/#3 rifles have open, receiver, or Lyman #2 style tang sights, with off-white (almond) painted front beads or blade bevels. Most receiver and tang sights are without any screw in insert. The exceptions, a sporterized Swede 96 and the Ruger single shots all wear Lyman All American scopes with picket post and crosshair reticles, 2.5x each of them. This IS "PA Wilds" woods country; you don't get 100 yd plus clear shots in these woods except on clear cut rights of way and shooting ranges.

People at the range are astonished that I can hit targets / gongs from 50 yds to 400 yds without a scope. My daughter has a .223 Saiga AK that she can hit the 400 yd gong with the factory AK sights 27 or more times per 30 rd magazine on a stack of blocks on the bench. 15-18 yrs ago when in HS, she shot that AK and hit the 400 yd gong 28 times, flabbergasting three of her male classmates struggling to hit a target at 100 yds with a scoped 7.62 AK. In their defense, the scole was in a top cover mount, notoriously unstable.

Noah

Winger Ed.
06-29-2023, 11:16 PM
People at the range are astonished that I can hit targets / gongs from 50 yds to 400 yds without a scope.

It's always a hoot to be at the range with kids.

I can usually hold 4-6-7" at 100 with cast in a standard, rack grade Springfield M1A, and a little better with a 70s era Colt .223 AR.
Triangle hand guards, old school sights, and no forward assist. I shoot Hornady factory seconds 55gr. with around 3/4 of max. Win 748.

Some are out there with the latest and greatest optics on a fancy new age AR-- and usually keep most shots on paper at 50 yards.

They sometimes ask, "How do you do that"?
I'll start off telling them, "It's like Dustin Hoffman said in the old movie, "The Little Big Man".
During his 'gunfighter phase' Wild Bill Hickok taught him to use 'squint eyed concentration'.

If they want to learn to shoot better, I'm more than glad to tell 'em what I know.
If they don't,,,, ahhhh,,, that's OK too.

samari46
06-30-2023, 12:28 AM
I'll be 77 come October so will be putting some scopes on my lever actions. And will be adding scopes to a couple cast bullet rifles. Old age and iron sights for is not a good mix. Frank

1Papalote
06-30-2023, 10:03 AM
I shoot open sights a great deal as my truck/fence checking gun is a Marlin Cowboy.
I prefer a front sight dovetailed into the barrel. Mk42 gunner and I agree, flat square topped front sight. Skinner makes mine.
Ramped front sights and beads don't work for me. Add the silly hood and it works even less.
Rear sights, Marlin rear folding( there are at least 3 styles) work best for me.
If a peep, LYMAN. No Williams FP, 5D or anything else Williams. Bad experience with bases and zero customer service.

Barrel length has to be be 24" or less for me. I've owned at least 2 1895 CBs, l can't see the front sight clearly on the 26"er . I'm 64 and wear glasses.

Standing on your hind legs and shooting takes plenty of practice of which I take little, opting to lean on a post , tree or vehicle when able. I need the stand up and shoot practice.

dverna
06-30-2023, 11:54 AM
I really prefer open sights on lever guns but my eyes think it is a terrible idea. Fiber optic, better-peep sights better still-low powered scope-I can see what I am doing. Whatever it takes to keep us old geezers shooting!

Yes...use what works in your application and with your eyes. Just because your buddy shoots irons well, doesn't mean they are the right selection for you.

Scopes are what I gravitate to. I even mounted scopes on my CAS rifles for testing loads because I can shoot better groups with a scope.

In some areas there are antler point restrictions, and a scope is almost a necessity.

huntinlever
06-30-2023, 12:48 PM
Yes...use what works in your application and with your eyes. Just because your buddy shoots irons well, doesn't mean they are the right selection for you.

Scopes are what I gravitate to. I even mounted scopes on my CAS rifles for testing loads because I can shoot better groups with a scope.

In some areas there are antler point restrictions, and a scope is almost a necessity.

Agreed. It is still fun to at least try to use the peep on the range (just spray painted 4" "pepper red" centers on paper plates, per a good suggestion from Bigslug), but I can't see hitting the deer big northwoods ever again without my 2.5X - 20 on board.

Good point on your last sentence. Of course western distances can be much longer, but that's the first thing that came to mind when I read your comment. Same with thick brush, though - many times I was glad to be scoped for that very reason up north.

VariableRecall
06-30-2023, 01:20 PM
In my situation, my limitations have greatly influenced what I use on rifles and handguns. I've got a serious case of myopia and astigmatism, which means that red dots, holos, and other fancy non-scoped optics are not a good option for me. This also limits the kind of irons that work well for me. Due to which areas of my glasses focus best at close range, any irons that are on a low bore axis and at shoulder height, like a buckhorn sight, are very blurry and uncomfortable to use. I've got trouble with tight aperture and traditional target sights as well. The AR style ghost ring works best for me with irons on a rifle, as it has enough standoff from the bore to shift my glasses into a more comfortable and better focused place. Primarily, I use scopes on rifles mainly because it's my best option when the alternative is going to suffer in accuracy.

However, with handguns, it's just about anything goes. Since I'm able to raise and lower the height of the sights to my heart's content, I can keep the sights clear and at an optimal focus between them an the target. Also, due to my inability to see red dots and holos well, any of those newfangled optics are off the table. I really just work with what works best for my eyes in each category.

45DUDE
06-30-2023, 01:20 PM
I do off hand better with a good sling wrapped around forearm and a 4 power good scope. I like peep's but light matters. I have open- scope and peep's on 20 or so rifles. To me a 4 power is faster recovery at a longer distance. I have glasses for safety reasons but don't have to use them.

Iron369
06-30-2023, 10:31 PM
I have a couple antique firearms with open sights. Everything else gets a scope, dot, magnifier, or some combination of them. I feel like there is absolutely no reason to not use every and any advantage possible to shoot as accurately as my skill level and my equipment allows. I think it’s important to know how to use iron sights, but other than simplicity, they have no advantage.

Winger Ed.
06-30-2023, 10:45 PM
but other than simplicity, they have no advantage.

I've found them handy since you have a better field of view, especially on a moving target.
Not running, but walking in & out behind brush.
For hunting at longer ranges, I use a scope too, but have found myself a few times waiting for a deer to stand still for a second,,,
and have it walk on by since I didn't think that would have been a good, safe shot.

huntinlever
06-30-2023, 11:23 PM
I'll start off telling them, "It's like Dustin Hoffman said in the old movie, "The Little Big Man".
During his 'gunfighter phase' Wild Bill Hickok taught him to use 'squint eyed concentration'.

OK, name dropping. My teacher.

indian joe
07-01-2023, 12:13 AM
I have a couple antique firearms with open sights. Everything else gets a scope, dot, magnifier, or some combination of them. I feel like there is absolutely no reason to not use every and any advantage possible to shoot as accurately as my skill level and my equipment allows. I think it’s important to know how to use iron sights, but other than simplicity, they have no advantage.

Always there are tradeoffs
a scope on a lever gun takes away the easy carry and fast handling - sometimes / places that is a poor trade, sometimes not

old eyes and iron sights? finer sights are not more accurate if ya cant see em - at 74 yrs I can still do decent shooting with iron sights but do it better with a big, wide, flat top, front blade, and a correspondingly coarse backsight - wide, square notch, flat top, plenty daylight for the front blade.

same with peeps - hunting I pull the eypiece out of my williams 5D

have 2 scoped guns for pest control / varmint --- 22/250 with a ten power redfield - average shot on Roos is 250 yards (sight 2.5 inches high @ 100)

the best marksmanship practice is standing unsupported - teaches to not pull a bad shot - an occasional fail to fire is good to - dont flinch? that will show it clear as day

BoBSavage
07-01-2023, 06:28 AM
Scope is the only way I can see what I am shooting at now days. After fighting covid for three months a few months ago, my right eye got worse. I have to use a scope on all my rifles now, or just leave them in the gun cabinet.

waylonrocks
07-01-2023, 07:27 AM
I feel the cartridge plays a big role in what the sighting arrangement should be. A 7mm PRC or 22-250 really aren't going to live up to their potential with iron sights. But the chosen rifle plays into the equation, as well. I have a Winchester 1895 in 30-06 that can't really be scoped and it doesn't extract the long range potential of that fine cartridge, but that fits in with the simplicity of why I bought it in the first place. I am of the opinion that open sights are the best way to introduce new shooters. My first gun and still a favorite is a single shot Ithaca 49 that is plenty accurate. Even the blackpowder muzzleloaders can be surprisingly accurate at reasonable ranges. I think a lot of us just appreciate the simple act of firing a gun, without all of the whizbang compensating scope features so prevalent today. The aforementioned 1895 and the other Winchester lever actions minus optics are such a joy to carry which is a big part of their attraction, as far as I am concerned.

Bull
07-01-2023, 10:24 AM
My favorite hunting rifle is my old 30-30 Winchester with iron sights. Anytime I go hunting for deer or elk it goes with me.

vonfilm
07-01-2023, 04:39 PM
I only use them on my rifles that won’t readily take a scope like my Rossi R92, Winchester M94 XTR, and a Garand.
On the Rossi, I replaced the semi buckhorn with a Marble Bullseye for a huge improvement.

Griff
07-02-2023, 09:17 PM
I'm still a big fan of tang peep and globe front sights. They're mostly on single shot rifles. Levers generally have open iron sights, but a couple sport tang peep and globe front sights also. But, I have scopes on those rifles that can take best advantage of them.

Jack Stanley
07-03-2023, 02:36 PM
Iron sights ?? absolutely ! As long as I am able to see the front sight reasonably well I'll keep them around .

Jack

huntinlever
07-03-2023, 02:40 PM
Iron sights ?? absolutely ! As long as I am able to see the front sight reasonably well I'll keep them around .

Jack

I see the front sight perfectly well. Problem is there's more than one.:mrgreen:

indian joe
07-03-2023, 08:21 PM
I see the front sight perfectly well. Problem is there's more than one.:mrgreen:

not a problem so long as we can pick the same one each time !

Bad Ass Wallace
07-04-2023, 04:30 AM
I have aperature sights on most of my unscoped rifles. For long range BPCR my Sharps and Highwalls have target foresights.

https://i.imgur.com/o5RBx1Hl.gif

buckshotshoey
07-04-2023, 08:40 AM
No one has mentioned, we'll maybe vaguely, simple red dots. Since my eyes are getting bad, I can't use the Marble's Bullseye as effectively as i used to. Especially in dim light. So i mounted a red dot on my Henry. I hated doing it, but it is what it is.

The red dot I use will fit in the palm of your hand. It in no way affected the handling of the rifle. And the target acquisition is much faster then iron sights. I was able to mount it behind the Bullseye sight so I have a backup.

The red dot is more then adequate for the ranges of a 45-70 and my normal hunting conditions.

Bigslug
07-04-2023, 08:57 AM
Yeah, carbines are nice. Unfortunately, my eyes want the front sight farther away. Peeps help, but optics help more.

slam45
07-04-2023, 09:28 AM
2 pre '64 1894 30wcf have old redfield peeps with Skinner blades on the front, a Winny 1895 flat side 30/40 has a climbing Lyman and also a Skinner blade... M1 as issued from '42... and a Winny model 54 in 06 has a Lyman target peep with a blade front... my 45acp AR style PCC has La Rue folding night sights that co-witness an Aimpoint PRO... shoot them all regularly... as well as scoped bolt guns... i don't care for bead front sights...get a much better sight pic and need only touch the target with the post to hit...

Cast10
07-04-2023, 09:54 AM
My Win 1894 Sporter required a new front sight with the addition of the Williams FP.

I purchased the exact same sight that was on there, Marble with a brass bead, at .450” high. Factory front was .370+/-.

I can now see the sights CLEARLY at 62yo.

FergusonTO35
07-04-2023, 03:34 PM
Compact scopes with no objective bell are the best compromise for me so that's what I use mostly for deer.