PDA

View Full Version : Asking Prayers for Recovery from Alcohol!

Thundarstick
06-27-2023, 06:37 PM
To be brief. My eldest son has a severe drinking problem. After 15 years he has finally accepted he has no control, and is seeking to go into a recovery program. Pray for God's guidance in this matter. Cory is his name, and God knows him.

Thanks in advance!

BLAHUT
06-27-2023, 07:13 PM
prayers sent

P Flados
06-27-2023, 07:31 PM
I have prayed for you to feel God's direction in your choices. I prayed for your son to both accept the need for change with respect to his daily choices and with the ultimate choice (accepting salvation).

Pine Baron
06-27-2023, 09:59 PM
Prayers for God's grace for Cory.

BNE
06-27-2023, 10:00 PM
prayers sent

armoredman
06-27-2023, 10:45 PM
Sent. May God bless you and hold you and yours in His hand.

Saxon
06-27-2023, 10:54 PM
in agrement ^

Milky Duck
06-28-2023, 03:12 AM
ILL pray for yours n you pray for mine.... he hasnt seen the light yet.

augercreek
06-28-2023, 06:26 AM
Lord, help Cory except treatment and stay the course. It is so easy to slip off course with all the pressures out there, so please Lord lead him to recovery.

William Yanda
06-28-2023, 07:45 AM
Amen.

USMC87
06-28-2023, 08:07 AM
Heavenly Father we bring Cory before You asking for You to give him the will to accept being without alcohol, we ask that You will bring him to salvation and to give him a new life.

MrWolf
06-28-2023, 08:38 AM
Prayers sent. Hopefully he will be able to kick that disease. I recently lost a brother to it. God bless.
Ron

CBH
06-28-2023, 08:39 AM
I will pray in earnest for your boy.

FergusonTO35
06-28-2023, 08:45 AM
Praying for him! In all likelihood it will take a few tries to get off the stuff. He should take the attitude that, every day without a drink is a victory in itself. If you slip up one day, that's just one day and you can try again tomorrow.

WRideout
06-28-2023, 08:46 AM
Father, bless Cory and bring him to new life in you. Give him strength, but most of all hope. Amen.

Wayne

dverna
06-28-2023, 08:03 PM
Prayers sent.

Pete44mag
06-28-2023, 10:27 PM
Lord I pray that you will touch Cory and help him through his difficult times!

Hogtamer
06-29-2023, 09:46 AM
Give him perseverance in healing from this disease, for Your glory.

HWooldridge
06-29-2023, 09:49 AM
Alcoholics Anonymous worked for my wife's brother. He was a homeless derelict at one point but completely changed his life when he went to an AA meeting. He's been sober for almost 15 years.

Longue-carbine
06-29-2023, 12:17 PM
Yes!

Sig556r
06-29-2023, 08:56 PM
Prayers for your son

Kosh75287
06-29-2023, 09:05 PM
Get him to a psychiatrist with a specialization in addiction treatment, also, if he'll go. You may as well avail yourself of EVERY resource at your/his disposal.

Walla2
07-01-2023, 11:29 AM
To be brief. My eldest son has a severe drinking problem. After 15 years he has finally accepted he has no control, and is seeking to go into a recovery program. Pray for God's guidance in this matter. Cory is his name, and God knows him.

Thanks in advance!

Prayers sent

Texas by God
07-03-2023, 10:11 PM
Unless Cory quits drinking on his own and stays quit; Friends, family , rehab facilities, preachers and God himself can’t keep him sober.
It’s up to Cody alone.
Prayers sent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thundarstick
07-21-2023, 09:11 AM
God has heard our prayers!

He's back from detox and counseling with a new outlook on life and says he's reconnected with God. He's certainly talking the talk and walking the walk. He's got his head in the Bible, the big book, and a few other recovery books as well as making meetings.
Alcohol, cunning, baffling, and powerful, but there is one who is all powerful! I think he's found him!

Prayers for continued surrender and determination appreciated!

WRideout
07-21-2023, 09:32 AM
Addiction is a spiritual problem. One has to have aa reason for living before the search for pain killers can cease. Thanks be to God for Cory's progress to date. It is not always a straight line upward, but the up movement can be greater than the down.

Wayne

hoodat
07-21-2023, 10:35 AM
I'm glad to hear that Cory is on the tracks, hopefully to recovery and a normal life. I spent twenty years of my life as a drunken dope fiend, and the power of God, and the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous brought me to sobriety.

Another group I hear about these days is Celebrate Recovery, which I hear is a very successful Christian based recovery group. I want to stress that the best cure costs nothing, is found in almost every town, and will lead him to other folks who will help him kick his curse. A mentor is highly recommended for his journey. jd

Wayne Smith
07-21-2023, 01:13 PM
Soren Kirkegaard made the comment, years ago, that every man has a hole in him that only God can fill. No drug can fill it, no addiction can fill it, and no religion can fill it. Only God. And only when we let God fill it - all too often we think God is filling it until we realize that we have replaced Church or some other 'good thing' and are trying to fill ourselves again. It is to 'let go and let God' that is the challenge for all of us.

.429&H110
07-21-2023, 03:19 PM
I ask the Holy Spirit to Bless Cory and help us to show him he is not alone.

We go camping, barbeque, get married, hang out without beer.
Can seem odd, at first.
"Long Goodbye" Raymond Chandler wrote that it takes a year.
He wrote "Some of your old friends won't like you..."
Some of us have a very good reason for avoiding alcohol.
Some of us just want a better fellowship for our kids.

Sin is anything that comes between you and God.
It's not what goes into your mouth,
but what comes out of it.

buckwheatpaul
07-21-2023, 07:48 PM

Thanks in advance!

Father, You are the Great Healer and I am turning to You to place Your loving arms around Thundarstick's son as he battles alcoholism. Please show him the path that he must follow to redeem his soul from the sin of alcoholism. Please allow him to undertake a recovery program that will help him beat his alcoholism. AMEN

Pine Baron
07-22-2023, 07:59 AM
Praise God for Corey's recovery, thus far. Praying he stays diligent and doesn't get discouraged at the set backs, and there will be set backs. "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me." - John 14:1

FergusonTO35
07-22-2023, 01:53 PM
Soren Kirkegaard made the comment, years ago, that every man has a hole in him that only God can fill. No drug can fill it, no addiction can fill it, and no religion can fill it. Only God. And only when we let God fill it - all too often we think God is filling it until we realize that we have replaced Church or some other 'good thing' and are trying to fill ourselves again. It is to 'let go and let God' that is the challenge for all of us.

This 100%. I'm reading accounts of the early Desert Father's and the lengths they went to in order to find God were extreme even by the times they lived in

Thundarstick
07-23-2023, 09:38 PM
Praise God indeed! The whole family was with us for worship today! Praise God!! One day at a time, is how we build a life time!

Hogtamer
07-23-2023, 09:51 PM
Amen to that brother.

Good Cheer
07-23-2023, 09:55 PM
More prayers for Cory.

pcolapaddler
07-23-2023, 11:32 PM
Prayers for you and your son.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
07-25-2023, 11:21 AM
Very glad to hear of the progress, hope it continues. In a related note, I've struggled with binge eating all my life. It may not be intoxicating, but it will kill you just as dead as booze or drugs. I've found intermittent fasting really helps. Obviously, you have to eat to stay alive but when I restrict it to just a couple hours a day I find I have more self-control.

Wayne Smith
07-25-2023, 09:27 PM
Remind Cory frequently that he is looking at a lifestyle change. His drinking buddies have to go, his drinking habits need to be changed, and his attitude toward alcohol should become his attitude toward poison, because for him it is. This also needs to be a family change. You can't cook with wine and beer if there is an alcoholic in the house. One big advantage of programs like AA is that this reminder is constant.

As long as he is not in a similar program the family needs to be the reminder.

FergusonTO35
07-26-2023, 09:04 AM
Remind Cory frequently that he is looking at a lifestyle change. His drinking buddies have to go, his drinking habits need to be changed, and his attitude toward alcohol should become his attitude toward poison, because for him it is. This also needs to be a family change. You can't cook with wine and beer if there is an alcoholic in the house. One big advantage of programs like AA is that this reminder is constant.

As long as he is not in a similar program the family needs to be the reminder.

Wayne is 100% right. I used to work with a jail chaplain, and he said alot of folks did really well in lockup because it got them away from toxic people and situations. Soon as they got out they were in the same mess as always.