PDA

View Full Version : Fobus Holster heat/shape question

jimlj
06-26-2023, 08:50 PM
Can you heat a Fobus holster and reshape it without ruining it?
I have one for a gen 1 Kel Tec P-32. I'd like to reshape the barrel area to fit a gen 2 P-32. If you are not familiar with the P-32, the slide is shaped enough differently to make the holster a bit too snug around the muzzle end of the slide.

GhostHawk
06-26-2023, 09:05 PM
I assume it is Kydex?

There are some good youtube video's on how to shape and work kydex.
I have made several knife sheath's and a couple of holsters. I put a folded bath towel pad down for the bottom, have another ready to slap on top.

I use an inexpensive harbor freight heat gun, when you see the shape changing go to low heat, slip in the gun, lay the pad on top, and sit on it for a couple of minutes while it cools. If you screw up, it can be reheated and reworked.

You can also work in sections. Just watch where your heat goes.

My most ambitious project was for a Ruger Mk III 22/45 with a Red Dot sight on top. Back side suede leather, front side kydex. Used smaller grommit's to hold it all together.
It may not be perfect but it works, and its hanging on a 12 ga ammo belt

Froogal
06-27-2023, 08:50 AM
Depends on just how much reshaping is needed. I had to slightly modify a Fobus magazine pouch. I forced a couple of empty magazines into the pouch, laid it down on the workbench, and then heated it up with a heat gun. I applied heat only to the point that I could no longer comfortably touch it with bare fingers and then stopped. I then left it on the bench until it was completely cooled down. Made a big difference. I used the same trick for the Fobus holster that fit my Ruger SR9 and my M&P Shield.

If YOUR holster is close to fitting already, I'd think you could use the same trick.

bedbugbilly
06-29-2023, 08:41 AM
I use Fobus holsters for several of my carry guns. I have never had to alter one or reform one, but I believe the holster bucket is constructed of a thermoplastic material and not a thermoset material, so it should be able to be "re-formed" within reason with a heat gun. But, it falls under "do at your own risk" category. If it were me, I'd try it - but it's not my holster.

jimlj
07-01-2023, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure the material the holster is made of, but I don't think it is Kydex.
Update...
I put on my man pants, heated the slide area of the holster till it was too hot to comfortably touch bare handed, shoved my little girl gun in and pinched it with a gloved hand till it cooled. The holster now fits and works like it should.

bedbugbilly
07-02-2023, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the report - glad it worked for you! Nice to know it can be done!