PDA

View Full Version : My Buddy’s Rossi 357 and Customer Service Report

Bazoo
06-24-2023, 02:11 PM
My buddy had a Rossi in 357 Magnum. It was throated so largely that the brass wouldn’t resize far enough down to then chamber in another 357. With 38s, because the pressure is much lower, the cases held their shape when fired.

He was able to get some restitution from Rossi...He sent the gun to them and they had it right at a year. They said they were waiting on a barrel from Brazil. Finally after 3-4 calls they just replaced the gun.

His new one bulges 357 cases too, but not as badly. I haven’t tried to resize any yet but I do believe they will be usable again.

FergusonTO35
06-26-2023, 09:37 AM
Guess I am lucky, my 92 hasn't bulged anything so far.

BLAHUT
06-26-2023, 10:54 AM
My buddy had a Rossi in 357 Magnum. It was throated so largely that the brass wouldn’t resize far enough down to then chamber in another 357. With 38s, because the pressure is much lower, the cases held their shape when fired.

He was able to get some restitution from Rossi...He sent the gun to them and they had it right at a year. They said they were waiting on a barrel from Brazil. Finally after 3-4 calls they just replaced the gun.

His new one bulges 357 cases too, but not as badly. I haven’t tried to resize any yet but I do believe they will be usable again.

If you are going to keep the gun ? Keep the fired brass separate, Then do not resize the brass and try them again ? May just work fine in the rifle ? Or go back to Rossi for a total refund, gun unsafe ?

dverna
06-26-2023, 11:28 AM
This is not the first report I have seen of this defect. I am no gunsmith, but would it be possible to "sleeve" that part of the barrel and have it chambered properly?

Randy Bohannon
06-26-2023, 01:23 PM
Don’t recommend third world firearms with questionable satisfaction.

Bazoo
06-26-2023, 02:18 PM
My buddy is happy with it, he doesn't reload. I dont know if you can sleeve something that high of pressure, but my buddy wouldn't spend any money on such. It works, and that's all that matters to him.

Thats the crowd that rossis are intended for I reckon.

FergusonTO35
06-26-2023, 02:58 PM
The dealer I buy from will make it right even if the factory won't, even if that means giving you all your money back. And that's why I give him my business!

Bazoo
06-26-2023, 05:27 PM
The dealer I buy from will make it right even if the factory won't, even if that means giving you all your money back. And that's why I give him my business!

Can’t blame ya there.

indian joe
06-27-2023, 07:27 AM
This is not the first report I have seen of this defect. I am no gunsmith, but would it be possible to "sleeve" that part of the barrel and have it chambered properly?

pull the barrel, set it back a thread (or two) recut the chamber ??????????

FergusonTO35
06-27-2023, 10:36 AM
Given what Rossi's cost these days, you can often score a basic Henry for not much more if you shop around. I really like my 92, but the price would have to be alot lower for me to roll the dice again. My dealer had it priced around $75.00 less than other places around here and I know he will back it up 100%.

dverna
06-27-2023, 11:26 AM
My idea to sleeve the barrel was silly. By the time you pay someone to do that, it makes more sense to sell the thing and buy a Marlin 1894. I have two Marlins and will never sell them. They work and are accurate. A lot of folks in CAS are leaving the sport and some need cash so the Marlins are around.

FergusonTO35
06-27-2023, 02:25 PM
I'm looking forward to the Ruglin 1894. If the 336 is any indication it will be a winner.

FergusonTO35
11-21-2023, 05:43 PM
On the topic of Rossi 92- if you remove the manual safety on the bolt, do you have to put anything back into the hole for the gun to function? Now that I'm using scopes on all my .30-30's I'm planning to have my 92 drilled and tapped for the Williams FP from my Winchester 94. I don't even know if the safety will interfere with the receiver sight or not, just wondering if the rifle will function without it

quack1
11-22-2023, 09:08 AM
TO35- the gun will work without the safety, and there is a peep sight that will replace the safety. You won't need to drill and tap. Google Steves gunz If you have a lathe, you can easily make one.
Here's the one I made for my 45 Colt.
https://i.imgur.com/X1tFKltl.jpg

Harter66
11-22-2023, 09:51 AM
I had a pair , 1986&2013 Rossi M92s , in 45 Colts both had .450 grooves fed freely .454 454424s but ejected brass at .492 . Yes FL sizing would get them back in the .484 Ruger but that does defeat having companion guns . Neither ran Rem brass even after the cleaning and deburring inside.

A buddy bought one in 38/357 it ran 38 WC and everything else like water as fast or slow as you wanted to go . Load 38s out to 357 even minimum lengths or put a 357 in the mag and it jams in transition from carrier to bolt push into the chamber 357 WC we didn't try . Polishing the guts helped buy it needed more than time allowed at the time .

I was all set up to do a barrel on the 2014 in 45 Colts but the bid came back enough to sell both of them and buy a brand new Nippon Winchester , maybe even a new Sharps . So I segregate my brass sold off the RP and called it a day . Now it's someone else's stuff.

FergusonTO35
11-22-2023, 10:05 AM
TO35- the gun will work without the safety, and there is a peep sight that will replace the safety. You won't need to drill and tap. Google Steves gunz If you have a lathe, you can easily make one.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I would be glad to hire you to make a safety plug for my rifle if you are interested. Aluminum would be ok.

Soundguy
11-22-2023, 11:35 AM
Guess I am lucky, my 92 hasn't bulged anything so far.

same here... and I'm a tad surprised he could not resize a case.. sure a big case will get worked and the brass won't last.. but sounds like his dies are not setup properly..

square butte
11-22-2023, 01:42 PM
Here's my Rossi EMF 1892 .357 trapper New in Box experience - First and only 7 rounds fired through it had a fairly large bulge about half way up the case, and split each of those 7 rounds at the bulge. Called the Company and they said to send it to the east coast customer service gunsmith - 2 years later I got it back after a phone call every two months with a new promise of "ready soon". Never again on a rossi

Bazoo
11-22-2023, 01:55 PM
same here... and I'm a tad surprised he could not resize a case.. sure a big case will get worked and the brass won't last.. but sounds like his dies are not setup properly.. The problem was with the brass, as it was bulged so far into the web that the brass wouldn't go in far enough because of the lip on the shell holder.

It bulged brass nearly to the rim with 357 Magnum loads, so much so that I figured it'd be unsafe to load that brass and fire it in the gun again for fear of a ruptured case. The only way it could have been sized would be a full length hand die like what was available as an accessory for the lyman 310 tools.

I may have some of it in my bag of brass that came from my buddy, but I haven't sorted the bag yet. I threw some away at the time, so I wouldn't try to load it.

Bushrat
11-22-2023, 08:48 PM
I bought a new Rossi stainless in 44 mag that so much head space I had case separations. I sent it back and six months later they sent me a new rifle with exactly the same issues. I sent it back and six months later I received another new rifle that was super smooth, but the bore is .4345 and the front sight is canted enough to make sighting in very difficult. I had to drill and tap for a Lyman receiver sight a the one that replaced the could not be sighted in. I love how handy the 92 is, but what a pain.

Bazoo
11-23-2023, 02:15 AM
I'd love to find a clean Rossi in 357 or 45 colt. The horror stories of their customer service though, and the spotty quality I've seen on their rifles keeps me from really acting on it.

I have a new Winchester 92 in 44 Magnum, of course, it's 4 times the cost of a Rossi but it shows in the quality and workmanship. I wish I could run into a well-loved Browning 92 sometime.

Hickok
11-23-2023, 09:45 AM
I'd love to find a clean Rossi in 357 or 45 colt. The horror stories of their customer service though, and the spotty quality I've seen on their rifles keeps me from really acting on it.

I have a new Winchester 92 in 44 Magnum, of course, it's 4 times the cost of a Rossi but it shows in the quality and workmanship. I wish I could run into a well-loved Browning 92 sometime.Bazoo, I also have a new Winchester/Miroku 1892 in .44 Magnum. Does your rifle seem to have a short throat? Mine is a beautiful rifle, with a .429" groove diameter, but the throat is about .030" shorter than my other .44 lever-actions.

Bazoo
11-24-2023, 01:07 AM
Bazoo, I also have a new Winchester/Miroku 1892 in .44 Magnum. Does your rifle seem to have a short throat? Mine is a beautiful rifle, with a .429" groove diameter, but the throat is about .030" shorter than my other .44 lever-actions.

I'm not sure. I haven't had the chance to try a lot of different bullets in it. I've tried the Ranch Dog 432-265-RF bullet in magnum cases, and it does just fine.

I've also tried the RCBS 44-240-SWC and 44-250-K but neither will feed through the gun. If I recall, the 44-240-SWC will chamber, just not feed, But I don't remember about the other. Both feed flawlessly in special cases though, and since I use them in my Ruger Blackhawk 44 Special, I always have them handy.

I have 2 Lee moulds to try, the 429-200-RF and the 429-240-2R, but not cast undersized and I haven't done anything with them yet. I'll likely powdercoat them.

My bore measures .4302 on its largest and a smidge less than .430 on the other 2. The 44-250-K bullets I've fired were sized .430, and they shot clean.

I'm wanting to try the Lee 430-310-RF, that should be interesting.

My Turnbull finished Winchester 1892, 44 Magnum.

https://i.postimg.cc/cHnRGWJm/3-BF1-EBFB-E5-C7-4679-B243-34-DA325-B5655.jpg (https://postimg.cc/N9Q9RWm9)

jstanfield103
11-27-2023, 05:42 AM
I have 4 Rossi lever's. Two in 357/38, a 454 Casull and a 45/70. All work really well so far. One has a little rough chamber but shoots really accurate. My two Winchesters/Miroku 44 mag and 45 Cot are awesome rifles. Love the Winchesters but can't afford too many of them.

11-27-2023, 09:25 AM
This is enough info to keep me from ever getting one. Thanks.

FergusonTO35
11-27-2023, 03:16 PM
The owner of my local shop is threatening to retire soon, so I doubt I'll ever own another Rossi 92 unless it's practically giveaway price. The fact that there are multiple reports of rifles coming back from service with the exact same defects is very worrisome. I will enjoy the one I already have though!

Hickok
11-27-2023, 04:58 PM
I really wish Rossi would get a grip on their quality control, and their customer service.

Would really like to buy one, but I just can't make the decision to take the chance on getting a big lemon.

I watched with interest "Target Suite " on You-tube with his struggles with Rossi R92 in .44 magnum. Oversize chamber, oversize groove diameter, and the lands were not getting a good grip on retrieved solid copper bullets.

His experience with customer service was not encouraging.

braddock
11-27-2023, 08:02 PM
I have a 92 in 357, it's so much better than the 94 AE in 357 I had, couldn't wait to sell the winchester, wouldn't part with the Rossi.I also have a pre 64 94 in 30/30 and that one is a dandy after spending more than $100 dollars on parts at homestead but when I'm going plinking it's the rossi that comes out the door with me.320390
The winchester is the one with the red dot on, subsequently sold the red dot as I couldn't get on with it.

Castaway
11-27-2023, 08:36 PM
I’ll never have another Rossi. Bought an M92 in 45 Colt years ago. Would not reliably feed a Lee 255 or a Hornady 250 or 300 XTP. Groups at 50 yards ranged from 5-15 inches. I loaded it low and slow and up to Ruger rated loads with a variety of bullets. It also bulged the brass to the point you could visually spot the Rossi brass vs Ruger fired brass. Removed the forestock to apply wax and found the channel for the barrel and magazine tube had a gash between them. Called Rossi and they wouldn’t make it good because the warranty had expired. Tried to explain this wasn’t from abuse or fair wear and tear but a manufacturers issue. That was the last straw. Took it to a pawn shop and passed on my problem to someone else. There’s a fellow named Steve whose name keeps popping up on the internet that’s said to do remarkable things tuning the Rossi copy of the 92, slicking them up for the Cowboy action crowd. I maintain if the Rossi’s were any good, Steve wouldn’t have found this niche and excellent reputation making a shoddy product to the condition it should have been when it left the factory

FergusonTO35
11-28-2023, 05:37 PM
I really wish Rossi would get a grip on their quality control, and their customer service.

Would really like to buy one, but I just can't make the decision to take the chance on getting a big lemon.

I watched with interest "Target Suite " on You-tube with his struggles with Rossi R92 in .44 magnum. Oversize chamber, oversize groove diameter, and the lands were not getting a good grip on retrieved solid copper bullets.

Real world prices on Henry's are coming down, and the Ruglin 1894's are supposedly in production now. Both of these marques have the best customer service in the business. No need to play the Rossi slot machine.

FergusonTO35
11-28-2023, 05:39 PM
I have a 92 in 357, it's so much better than the 94 AE in 357 I had, couldn't wait to sell the winchester, wouldn't part with the Rossi.I also have a pre 64 94 in 30/30 and that one is a dandy after spending more than $100 dollars on parts at homestead but when I'm going plinking it's the rossi that comes out the door with me.320390
The winchester is the one with the red dot on, subsequently sold the red dot as I couldn't get on with it.

How would you even get warranty service on a Rossi where you live? Does the company have an actual presence in the UK?

Bazoo
11-28-2023, 07:50 PM
How would you even get warranty service on a Rossi where you live? Does the company have an actual presence in the UK?

About like getting parts for a Winchester or Marlin I'd reckon... hard as heck.

RichardB
11-28-2023, 08:38 PM
I just bought a new Rossi 92 357. Am very pleased with it. Action is far smoother than I ever expected. Even has about a third of the screws timed. Wood to metal fit is excellent. Wood color is not as red as many I've seen. Will see how it functions and shoots and report back

Castaway
11-28-2023, 08:55 PM
I doubt any thought went into timing 1/3 d of the screws.

Hickok
11-29-2023, 10:02 AM
The chamber and lands and grooves specs. are what really bothers me.

I can polish and smooth up the action, and tweek and tune on the feed of cartridges, but overly large-rough chambers and generous groove diameters on some .44's is something I don't want to deal with.

Went through that with the 38/55 Winchesters, having .378"-.380" grooves.

FergusonTO35
11-29-2023, 10:13 AM
About like getting parts for a Winchester or Marlin I'd reckon... hard as heck.

The good thing about those rifles is that there are tons of used parts available, not so much for Rossi.

FergusonTO35
11-29-2023, 10:15 AM
I just bought a new Rossi 92 357. Am very pleased with it. Action is far smoother than I ever expected. Even has about a third of the screws timed. Wood to metal fit is excellent. Wood color is not as red as many I've seen. Will see how it functions and shoots and report back

I really hope it works out for you. I'm quite happy so far with my 92, so far it functions and shoots as good as my 1981 Marlin .357. Both my .357's really like the Lee 125 and 158 grain slugs.

Bazoo
11-29-2023, 03:06 PM
The good thing about those rifles is that there are tons of used parts available, not so much for Rossi.

I wonder what amount of the winchester parts will fit a rossi?

FergusonTO35
11-29-2023, 04:02 PM
Far as I understand, the Rossi is mostly true to the original design but there's probably going to be alot of dimensional difference. I would assume Rossi uses the metric system on them.

fotog54
11-30-2023, 12:53 AM
I’m expecting a R92 38/.357 stainless to show up Thursday or Friday. I’ll give an unboxing report. If the weather is good I’ll take it to the range on Monday.

Bazoo
11-30-2023, 01:25 AM
I’m expecting a R92 38/.357 stainless to show up Thursday or Friday. I’ll give an unboxing report. If the weather is good I’ll take it to the range on Monday.

I hope you have a great one!

I do love them when they don't have issues. The 92 is such a great design, fast handling and light, and superbly balanced.

r80rt
11-30-2023, 11:24 AM
I have two stainless 16" and one blue, all of them are great. I love the little rascals. I do put Miroku 92 ejector springs in all of them, makes a world of difference. Numerich has the springs.

Texas by God
11-30-2023, 10:57 PM
I wonder what amount of the winchester parts will fit a rossi?

Twenty years ago I rebarreled a Winchester 92 with a .44 magnum Rossi barrel- it fit perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazoo
11-30-2023, 11:17 PM
Thanks TbG.

bcraig
12-01-2023, 01:55 AM

A new one ?

My understanding is that the newer ones within the past several years internals have changed somewhat.

You can smooth them up yourself if you enjoy that.

Thing's like Changing or C,utting or using different ejecter springs(as they come the Factory they will toss the empties between 1 and 2 counties away) ,shortening Magazine tube spring to help with ease of loading and hold another round or 2,cutting the loading gate to make it depress easier and therefore making it easier to depress the loading gate when
loading the the gun.
A general smoothing up,Lightening the trigger if it is way to heavy.

Refinishing the stock etc.

Do not dissasembe the rifle Until you have watched several youtbe videos THOROUGHLY again and again.
Then watch again and again until you figure out how it work's.

Even at that, even if you dont cuss you will learn how before you get it back together.
If by chance you already cuss then you will learn NEW cuss words before you get it back together !

But you will like it as It is a short light rifle if got in a 20 inch barreled version and lighter still if you got the 16 inch barreled Carbine like I got.

Hope you enjoy it

Bazoo
12-01-2023, 02:50 AM
A new one ?

My understanding is that the newer ones within the past several years internals have changed somewhat.

Thing's like Changing or C,utting or using different ejecter springs(as they come the Factory they will toss the empties between 1 and 2 counties away) ,shortening Magazine tube spring to help with ease of loading and hold another round or 2,cutting the loading gate to make it depress easier and therefore making it easier to depress the loading gate when
loading the the gun.

Do not dissasembe the rifle Until you have watched several youtbe videos THOROUGHLY again and again.

Even at that, even if you dont cuss you will learn how before you get it back together.
If by chance you already cuss then you will learn NEW cuss words before you get it back together !

But you will like it as It is a short light rifle if got in a 20 inch barreled version and lighter still if you got the 16 inch barreled Carbine like I got.

Hope you enjoy it

LOL, my buddies rifle sends his empties farther than that... more like low earth orbit!

Charlie Horse
12-01-2023, 10:27 AM

Nice work.

bcraig
12-02-2023, 12:48 AM
A lot of videos on youtube
Here is the easiest one for me to understand so far
https://youtu.be/zDaACsj8K-o?si=YQUwX-UZ0l_UOE8y

fotog54
12-02-2023, 03:10 PM
Yes, new in box, ordered from Kentucky Gun. (20" stainless version) Picked it up at a local FFL yesterday afternoon. Looks great, wood looks great. Fit and finish look fine. Action was smooth but it was a little short on lubrication so I put a few drops of oil in obvious areas. If the rain lets up on Monday I'll head to the range and try it out with both .38 and 357 rounds. I want to chrono some of my .38 loads in a rifle.

Lee

A new one ?

loading the the gun.

Hope you enjoy it

bcraig
12-02-2023, 04:46 PM
Yes, new in box, ordered from Kentucky Gun. (20" stainless version) Picked it up at a local FFL yesterday afternoon. Looks great, wood looks great. Fit and finish look fine. Action was smooth but it was a little short on lubrication so I put a few drops of oil in obvious areas. If the rain lets up on Monday I'll head to the range and try it out with both .38 and 357 rounds. I want to chrono some of my .38 loads in a rifle.

Lee

Congrats on the new rifle !
Definetly interested in hearing about your 38 Special info and result's.
If you ever want to shoot Any Factory 38 Special to plink with you can buy HSM 38 Special 158 gr RNFP from Sportsmans Warehouse that feed just fine from mine.
They show a velocity of approximately 850 FPS taken from a a 5.5 inch Pistol barrel,Dont know the velocity from my Carbine is as I don't have a Chronograph ,uses Titegroup Powder.Uses Starline Brass and Bullets are 15 BHN .Cost from the store was about 35 Bucks per box of 50 which included the 7 % Tax in Ms.

I have also included a Link that Shows a very interesting Bullet performance for a Remington 38 Special 158 Grain Lead Hollowpoint +P that shows at less than 1,100 FPS from a rifle with Fantastic Bullet Performance.

I figure that it should Make a Great Home defense load as it will be subsonic to be easier on the ears in the unlikely event that it would ever be needed.
And should be just fine for short range deer hunting from your 20 inch Carbine.

Downside is I had to order them online and they ended up about 22 bucks for a box of 20 round's
https://youtu.be/EKnmMN167PA?si=eQUGQOHa57Yk0USg

elmacgyver0
12-02-2023, 05:26 PM
I have a new Rossi .357 magnum rifle.
I have never fired anything but .38 special out it so far.
I would normally only use it with the specials I load, but as fate would have it, one of my neighbors invited me to go deer hunting.
That is pretty exciting to me as I would never go knocking on someone's door to ask permission to hunt, being invited is another matter!
I went out and bought a couple boxes of .357 magnum Lever evolution rounds for my rifle. If I get a shot, I guess I will see if the cases bulge.
There wasn't much of a selection, the only .357 ammo I could find.
I could use some of my reloads but most of them made over 20 years ago.
Anyway if I get a deer or not, I know I will have a lot of fun!

Bazoo
12-02-2023, 08:53 PM
I have a new Rossi .357 magnum rifle.
I have never fired anything but .38 special out it so far.
I would normally only use it with the specials I load, but as fate would have it, one of my neighbors invited me to go deer hunting.
That is pretty exciting to me as I would never go knocking on someone's door to ask permission to hunt, being invited is another matter!
I went out and bought a couple boxes of .357 magnum Lever evolution rounds for my rifle. If I get a shot, I guess I will see if the cases bulge.
There wasn't much of a selection, the only .357 ammo I could find.
I could use some of my reloads but most of them made over 20 years ago.
Anyway if I get a deer or not, I know I will have a lot of fun!

You'd know if your case bulge when you sight in with the ammo.

Bazoo
12-02-2023, 08:54 PM

Lee

Yes, Congratulations!

fotog54
12-04-2023, 07:15 PM
So I spent a couple of hours at the range today. Had the whole range to myself, a private club and I'm a member. Start off by stating this is my first real lever action rifle, not counting BB guns! I shot about 100 rounds, a mixture of my 38 reloads and some factory 38 Special and .357 magnums. It wasn't perfect but after about 30 rounds I didn't have any actual shooting issues.

It shot a bit high and lowered the rear sight 1 notch and that pretty much put the point of impact right on at 50 yards.

Now about that loading gate.... Holy crap! There is no way in hades that gun needs to ship with such a stupidly strong loading gate spring! Seriously, I gave up trying to get 10 rounds in it! I shot in 4 or 5 round groups, one time I got 7 in. If you accidently let the gate fully close, you're pretty much done till you empty the magazine.

Also found some sharp edges and I'll share the pic of my bloody thumb!

But I like it! Needs some TLC, I'm retired but I was an airline mechanic, then a Field Service tech for medical equipment so I'm not afraid to take it apart and smooth it up. Lots of videos on YT for help.

Hickok
12-04-2023, 08:42 PM
My favorite method to smooth up parts is using ceramic flat sharpening stones or the round ceramic sticks depending on the shape/size of the part to be polished up.

Sometimes 1500 to 2000 grit wet sand paper stretched flat and tight on a piece of hardwood or similar flat and square base.

The a nice buffing with a dremel tool using one of the small felt wheels and some Mother's mag polish.

FergusonTO35
12-04-2023, 09:10 PM
So I spent a couple of hours at the range today. Had the whole range to myself, a private club and I'm a member. Start off by stating this is my first real lever action rifle, not counting BB guns! I shot about 100 rounds, a mixture of my 38 reloads and some factory 38 Special and .357 magnums. It wasn't perfect but after about 30 rounds I didn't have any actual shooting issues.

It shot a bit high and lowered the rear sight 1 notch and that pretty much put the point of impact right on at 50 yards.

Now about that loading gate.... Holy crap! There is no way in hades that gun needs to ship with such a stupidly strong loading gate spring! Seriously, I gave up trying to get 10 rounds in it! I shot in 4 or 5 round groups, one time I got 7 in. If you accidently let the gate fully close, you're pretty much done till you empty the magazine.

But I like it! Needs some TLC, I'm retired but I was an airline mechanic, then a Field Service tech for medical equipment so I'm not afraid to take it apart and smooth it up. Lots of videos on YT for help.

Sweet! FYI, Lyman and Marbles make windage adjustable folding leaf sights that work really well, I have one on my Henry .45-70.

Bazoo
12-04-2023, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the range report. Did the 357 cases bulge at the web? and if so, how much?

Now that it's drawn blood, does that mean you'll never be able to swap it off?

My buddies Rossi has an extremely strong loading gate spring, and the inside edges of the loading port are razor sharp.

Bazoo
12-04-2023, 09:27 PM
Sweet! FYI, Lyman and Marbles make windage adjustable folding leaf sights that work really well, I have one on my Henry .45-70.

I've not seen the windage adjustable rear sights. I've got a Marbles "short" semi-buckhorn on my Winchester 94.

bcraig
12-05-2023, 07:55 AM
If your loads are hitting high Probably going with a Higher front sight would be easiest thing to do if you are still Hitting to high.

Here is a Link to a members method to Lighten up the Loading gate tension .
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?461221-Rossi-92-LOADING-FEEDING-FIX-Two-Tone-Tac-MOD-357-R92-Lever-Action-1892-Rifle
Watch the whole video,may give you some ideas
I have not done it yet but will when I find my lost Dremel tool !

If bullet is not wanting to go into rifle magazine ,IE feels like it just wont push in any farther then try Keeping your thumb on the primer end of the case and forefinger on forward part of round, wiggleing the end of the case while pushing in at the same time.Not as good as removing tension from the Loading gate spring I would not think, but until you do that it sure does help.
How did you manage to get your thumb cut on the bottom of the bolt that you have circled?

bcraig
12-05-2023, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the range report. Did the 357 cases bulge at the web? and if so, how much?

My buddies Rossi has an extremely strong loading gate spring, and the inside edges of the loading port are razor sharp.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?461221-Rossi-92-LOADING-FEEDING-FIX-Two-Tone-Tac-MOD-357-R92-Lever-Action-1892-Rifle

Interesting Link from a Member here.

FergusonTO35
12-05-2023, 11:00 AM
I've not seen the windage adjustable rear sights. I've got a Marbles "short" semi-buckhorn on my Winchester 94.

About halfway down the page on the left. They work great with a fiber optic front, I'm planning to convert a few of my rifles to this setup.

http://www.marblearms.com/rear-sights.html

elmacgyver0
12-05-2023, 11:14 AM
You'd know if your case bulge when you sight in with the ammo.

I plan on getting to the range on Thursday to check it out, pretty sure the windage will be close but I expect it to hit high.
If it bulges the cases I won't like it, but it won't bother me too much as I don't use that much .357 ammo.

fotog54
12-05-2023, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the link, will check later.

After dropping the rear sight one position, I'm good with it. At fifty yards, the front sight almost covers the paper plate!

Yes, I cut my thumb on that circled sharp corner of the bolt! I'll hit both sides of that with a file.

If your loads are hitting high Probably going with a Higher front sight would be easiest thing to do if you are still Hitting to high.

Here is a Link to a members method to Lighten up the Loading gate tension .
Watch the whole video,may give you some ideas
I have not done it yet but will when I find my lost Dremel tool !

If bullet is not wanting to go into rifle magazine ,IE feels like it just wont push in any farther then try Keeping your thumb on the primer end of the case and forefinger on forward part of round, wiggleing the end of the case while pushing in at the same time.Not as good as removing tension from the Loading gate spring I would not think, but until you do that it sure does help.
How did you manage to get your thumb cut on the bottom of the bolt that you have circled?

fotog54
12-05-2023, 02:10 PM
Yes, there is visible bulge. No, I didn't measure it. I don't think it will be an issue if reloading.

Yes, I'm going to bevel that loading port edge.

elmacgyver0
12-05-2023, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the link, will check later.

After dropping the rear sight one position, I'm good with it. At fifty yards, the front sight almost covers the paper plate!

Yes, I cut my thumb on that circled sharp corner of the bolt! I'll hit both sides of that with a file.

It will still bite if you have your hand in the wrong place when you operate the lever.
I really lacerated myself good when I was admiring my Henry .45-70.
I was watching TV and had the rifles butt on my thigh, holding it by the wrist of the stock, then I operated the lever quite smartly with the other hand.
The bad part about it was I didn't learn my lesson the first time, I had to do it twice.

fotog54
12-05-2023, 03:43 PM
I cut my thumb just by dragging my thumb across that sharp edge, not from moving the lever!

It will still bite if you have your hand in the wrong place when you operate the lever.
I was watching TV and had the rifles butt on my thigh, holding it by the wrist of the stock, then I operated the lever quite smartly with the other hand.
The bad part about it was I didn't learn my lesson the first time, I had to do it twice.

elmacgyver0
12-05-2023, 04:02 PM
I cut my thumb just by dragging my thumb across that sharp edge, not from moving the lever!

Yeh, that is a little sharp.
That edges on my Rossi are sharp, but not that bad.
I have to work at it a bit to get lacerated on mine, of course with my skin like tissue paper anymore it does not take much.
My dog can leave me bleeding pretty good when shes in a playful mood.

fotog54
12-05-2023, 04:10 PM

FergusonTO35
12-05-2023, 06:26 PM
Yes, there is visible bulge. No, I didn't measure it. I don't think it will be an issue if reloading.

Yes, I'm going to bevel that loading port edge.

Hmm, I've had brass from a variety of different guns that looks like that, especially thin wall pistol cartridges like .32 and .380 Auto. In my case at least, the case mouths always crack well before the bulge causes any problems and I've run them pretty hot. May want to try different brass next time. In any event, if the cases resize ok and you get a fair number of loadings out of them I wouldn't worry about it.

fotog54
12-05-2023, 06:41 PM
These were Factory PMC 357magnum, they are from South Korea. I have not ventured into reloading .357 magnum no real need to. Out of the Rossi they averaged 1711 fps. 125grn plated bullet. Probably not the thickest brass.

Hmm, I've had brass from a variety of different guns that looks like that, especially thin wall pistol cartridges like .32 and .380 Auto. In my case at least, the case mouths always crack well before the bulge causes any problems and I've run them pretty hot. May want to try different brass next time. In any event, if the cases resize ok and you get a fair number of loadings out of them I wouldn't worry about it.

FergusonTO35
12-05-2023, 06:55 PM
That sounds a bit on the hot side to me, and lighter .357 factory loads have a reputation for that. So, it wouldn't really be surprising to get some bulging. I would advise you to reload the .357 and tailor the load to your rifle. Decent .357 ammo is almost the same price as centerfire rifle ammo if you can even find it around here. If you ever decide to, I would be happy to share a handful of Lee 359-125's with you. My Marlin and Rossi love 'em.

elmacgyver0
12-07-2023, 08:46 PM
I made it to the range today to check the sights on my .357 Rossi, 870 Remington and .45-70 Henry X.
I had to do a bit of tweaking on the 870, the Henry I had to adjust the rear sight, it was pretty close on windage but way low, much to my delight, it took two full turns of elevation to get it to hit center of target at 50 yards about all my 72-year-old eyes can handle. Why am I happy I had to adjust it? Well, I can now see it clearly about the rail I installed for the scope! Now I can use my Henry .45-70 both with scope and without.
I also zeroed the scope at 100 yards.
Now about the Rossi .357, you know, the one everyone hates.
Anyway, I fired three rounds of the Hornady Lever Evolution it was dead on at 50 yards without any adjustment, I was happy and left it alone at that point.
Well, I had three fired .357 Hornady cases from the model 92 Rossi, I thought I would try a little test with those cases.
I tried them in three revolvers, a S&W 686, a Uberti Cattleman .357, and a Ruger New model Blackhawk in .357.
This was with no resizing, just the way they were fired.
They were tight in all three revolvers but went in the easiest in the Ruger.
I don't know what to tell you, perhaps there was a bad run of Rossi's, perhaps I got a fluke, I don't know.
I am pretty happy with the one I have.

Bazoo
12-07-2023, 10:20 PM
I made it to the range today to check the sights on my .357 Rossi, 870 Remington and .45-70 Henry X.
I had to do a bit of tweaking on the 870, the Henry I had to adjust the rear sight, it was pretty close on windage but way low, much to my delight, it took two full turns of elevation to get it to hit center of target at 50 yards about all my 72-year-old eyes can handle. Why am I happy I had to adjust it? Well, I can now see it clearly about the rail I installed for the scope! Now I can use my Henry .45-70 both with scope and without.
Anyway, I fired three rounds of the Hornady Lever Evolution it was dead on at 50 yards without any adjustment, I was happy and left it alone at that point.
Well, I had three fired .357 Hornady cases from the model 92 Rossi, I thought I would try a little test with those cases.
I tried them in three revolvers, a S&W 686, a Uberti Cattleman .357, and a Ruger New model Blackhawk in .357.
I don't know what to tell you, perhaps there was a bad run of Rossi's, perhaps I got a fluke, I don't know.

Thanks for the report. Good to know that some of the Rossis getting out are good ones. I'd take one in a heartbeat if I ran across one at a good price. I'm a Winchester 92 fan though.

r80rt
12-08-2023, 08:27 AM
In the last couple of years I've bought six of the new CBC Rossi 92's, thay have all been gerat.

FergusonTO35
12-09-2023, 10:28 AM

Sounds like your chamber might be a bit large but still within spec. The fact that the shells will fit in your other guns is a good sign. If you are happy with it I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy it.

bones37
01-02-2024, 12:53 PM

I’ll never have another Rossi. Bought an M92 in 45 Colt years ago. Would not reliably feed a Lee 255 or a Hornady 250 or 300 XTP. Groups at 50 yards ranged from 5-15 inches. I loaded it low and slow and up to Ruger rated loads with a variety of bullets. It also bulged the brass to the point you could visually spot the Rossi brass vs Ruger fired brass. Removed the forestock to apply wax and found the channel for the barrel and magazine tube had a gash between them. Called Rossi and they wouldn’t make it good because the warranty had expired. Tried to explain this wasn’t from abuse or fair wear and tear but a manufacturers issue. That was the last straw. Took it to a pawn shop and passed on my problem to someone else. There’s a fellow named Steve whose name keeps popping up on the internet that’s said to do remarkable things tuning the Rossi copy of the 92, slicking them up for the Cowboy action crowd. I maintain if the Rossi’s were any good, Steve wouldn’t have found this niche and excellent reputation making a shoddy product to the condition it should have been when it left the factory

I can attest and relate to all these things mentioned with my own R92 stainless 16" 357 mag that I bought NIB from local gun shop in 2016. My rifle had front sight dovetail cut off centerline, canted a couple degrees to the left when shouldering rifle. Rear sight dovetail cut grossly oversized, something like .395" IIRC. Cavernous chamber--it bulged some brass to the point of splitting on first firing. Bore was rough and slightly oversized similar to the reports that I've read about the R92s in 44 mag. There were several other small things also that aren't worth mentioning, but I can assure all that read this, I will never have another Rossi/Braztech firearm based off my experience with Rossi Customer Service(or rather total lack thereof) and with the gentleman mentioned in Texas that is a supposed Rossi 92 "wizard" or "Guru" whom which I had several somewhat heated conversations about my particular rifle and the problems that it had at the time. I did end up buying several parts from the man to improve and "fix" the rifle, including a custom built rear sight assembly with an oversized dovetail in the hopes that would fix the rear sight problem. However, when the custom rear sight didn't work and I contacted him again about the next step to take in getting the rifle fixed and I asked the question would the barrel need to be replaced, he became verbally agitated with me and then turned "non-responsive" to any further communications that I tried to have with him. That for me was "game over" with that man.
I subsequently gathered all the items needed to fix the rifle, including a Green Mountain SS .357" barrel blank and sent it off to M&M Gunsmithing in Hazel Green, Alabama where Mr. McClellan took his time and replaced the barrel, new sights, drilled and tapped the receiver and fixed a few other odds and ends for a very reasonable price. All in all, I got almost as much in parts and labor as I originally paid for the rifle.....So, what's Your money worth to You?? Best bet is to pony up and buy a Marlin or (Miroku) Winchester (I have one of each) because they'd be cheaper in the long run and a lot less headache.

Bazoo
01-02-2024, 01:11 PM
I can attest and relate to all these things mentioned with my own R92 stainless 16" 357 mag that I bought NIB from local gun shop in 2016. My rifle had front sight dovetail cut off centerline, canted a couple degrees to the left when shouldering rifle. Rear sight dovetail cut grossly oversized, something like .395" IIRC. Cavernous chamber--it bulged some brass to the point of splitting on first firing. Bore was rough and slightly oversized similar to the reports that I've read about the R92s in 44 mag. There were several other small things also that aren't worth mentioning, but I can assure all that read this, I will never have another Rossi/Braztech firearm based off my experience with Rossi Customer Service(or rather total lack thereof) and with the gentleman mentioned in Texas that is a supposed Rossi 92 "wizard" or "Guru" whom which I had several somewhat heated conversations about my particular rifle and the problems that it had at the time. I did end up buying several parts from the man to improve and "fix" the rifle, including a custom built rear sight assembly with an oversized dovetail in the hopes that would fix the rear sight problem. However, when the custom rear sight didn't work and I contacted him again about the next step to take in getting the rifle fixed and I asked the question would the barrel need to be replaced, he became verbally agitated with me and then turned "non-responsive" to any further communications that I tried to have with him. That for me was "game over" with that man.
I subsequently gathered all the items needed to fix the rifle, including a Green Mountain SS .357" barrel blank and sent it off to M&M Gunsmithing in Hazel Green, Alabama where Mr. McClellan took his time and replaced the barrel, new sights, drilled and tapped the receiver and fixed a few other odds and ends for a very reasonable price. All in all, I got almost as much in parts and labor as I originally paid for the rifle.....So, what's Your money worth to You?? Best bet is to pony up and buy a Marlin or (Miroku) Winchester (I have one of each) because they'd be cheaper in the long run and a lot less headache.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I would very much like to have a Rossi, if it was a case that someone else had it and could attest it was without issue. But to buy a new one is too much of a gamble for me.

I looked at one the last time I was in the gun store actually, it was in 44 Mag. It didn't have any obvious issues other than the stock was ill fitted at the wrist - grossly undersized to the metal.

FergusonTO35
01-03-2024, 09:43 AM

Thanks so much. As I have said before, I would not have played the Rossi slot machine if I didn't know that my dealer would back me up 100%. The dials came up cherries for me so I'm happy.

rockrat
01-03-2024, 10:22 AM
I got my Rossi from Navy Arms decades ago. Stainless, octagonal 24" barrel. Bit fussy feeding 357mag at times, but feeds 38spcl just fine. Probably need to do a bit of tune up on it, but cases come out fine and can't see any bulging. Will agree about the loading gate. Spring is a lot stouter than on my 92's and edges are a bit sharp but not to where any blood has been shed. All in all, decent rifle

rbuck351
01-24-2024, 01:59 AM
I got my Rossi 454 Puma about 15 years ago slightly used. It's blue with a black wood stock and loads from either the loading gate or from the tube mag like a 22lr. I shoot a Lee 300gr cast at just under 2000 fps. I removed the safety switch and made a peep sight to fit the hole. It has worked smooth, doesn't have sharp edges and the fit and finish is ok. My full house loads don't show any bulging or excess swelling. The loading gate spring is a bit stiff but it is workable but I usually load from the loading slot in the mag tube and unload by pulling the inner tube and dumping the rounds out the front of the mag tube. I really like my Rossi.

FergusonTO35
01-24-2024, 09:50 AM
Awesome, glad to hear it.

Eddie Southgate
02-19-2024, 11:18 AM

Are you pushing each individual cartridge all the way in while trying to hold the gate to start the next round ? That's what it sounds like from reading your post. If so then you are loading it wrong . Push the first round three quarters in then use the next round to push that round in leaving the second round hanging 1/4 out to hold the gate door the next round. Maybe that is what you are already doing but it does not sound like it when I read your post. That is the correct way to load all side gate loading lever actions. If you Are pushing each individual round all the way in then those rounds put extra pressure on the gate and make it much harder to push it open to the point of being near impossible to open after the first 4-5 rounds .

Bazoo
02-19-2024, 03:34 PM
Are you pushing each individual cartridge all the way in while trying to hold the gate to start the next round ? That's what it sounds like from reading your post. If so then you are loading it wrong . Push the first round three quarters in then use the next round to push that round in leaving the second round hanging 1/4 out to hold the gate door the next round. Maybe that is what you are already doing but it does not sound like it when I read your post. That is the correct way to load all side gate loading lever actions. If you Are pushing each individual round all the way in then those rounds put extra pressure on the gate and make it much harder to push it open to the point of being near impossible to open after the first 4-5 rounds .

While I agree with leaving the last cartridge sticking out a bit to aid in loading, it should at least be "possible" to top off with the magazine gate in the closed position. My Winchester 92 is a bit stiff cause it's new, my Winchester 94 is pretty easy, but of course, with 30-30 you have a lot more leverage to move the loading gate out of the way.

2TM101
02-19-2024, 04:33 PM
I am about to take up Cowboy Action Shooting. Reason I have not done so yet was when I went out to see how they did it I saw that after firing the 10 shots from the lever action they threw the rifle down on the table to move on. I'm not doing that with my mint condition Henry.

So I bought one of these. Bought the rifle and the revolver at the same time and then found out California went from one pistol per month to one pistol or semiauto rifle to now one gun period, so even through i bought it over a month ago I cant get the rifle until tomorrow.

As I will be firing almost exclusively 105 (which I now know to actually be 110) plain lead pan lubed with my own powder the oversized chamber may even be a plus. I don't mind beating this gun up a bit.

Bazoo
02-19-2024, 06:43 PM
I am about to take up Cowboy Action Shooting. Reason I have not done so yet was when I went out to see how they did it I saw that after firing the 10 shots from the lever action they threw the rifle down on the table to move on. I'm not doing that with my mint condition Henry.

So I bought one of these. Bought the rifle and the revolver at the same time and then found out California went from one pistol per month to one pistol or semiauto rifle to now one gun period, so even through i bought it over a month ago I cant get the rifle until tomorrow.

As I will be firing almost exclusively 105 (which I now know to actually be 110) plain lead pan lubed with my own powder the oversized chamber may even be a plus. I don't mind beating this gun up a bit.

I didn't know that about CA, one gun a month. Sorry to hear it, but thank you for sharing. I wouldn't want to throw my gun down either. I could see maybe having a cool buffalo hide or something similar for the gun to land on.

oldbear1950
02-26-2024, 07:07 PM
Maybe I have not fired mine enough yet, but so far, my two new ROSSI'S R 92'S are feeding fine, no case bulges, and no problems. They are both stainless, and so far no problems.
I will keep an eye out for some of the problems ya'll are talking about. I traded for a stainless, 16 inch barrel 38/357 and no problems. I also traded for a stainless 20 inch barrel
45 colt/454 casull.
I removed the safeties, and replaced with plugs from Steve's Gunz, replaced the rear sights with peep sights from him, and replaced the plastic mag followers with metal ones from him,
So far all seems as it should

FergusonTO35
02-27-2024, 12:15 PM
Awesome! I'm going to have a Lyman 66 installed on mine soon as the 'smith has an opening.