PDA

View Full Version : Blow out brass from those Rossi levers

Bill.68
06-24-2023, 10:51 AM
Yep, I got one of the ones that has had the rear of the chamber reamed out too much so it really pushes the brass to its limits.
I have discovered that LilGun powder seems to offer lower pressures while still offering pretty stout performance but are there any others that might also? Looking at a few manuals 11FS might be an option . Any thought on this?
On the rifles plus side, being that the chamber mouth is so large it pretty much will feed any cast bullet Ive tried, 358156, 358158, 358429 etc. Im thinking about trying some of the wide flatnose heavies now.
I really wish this thing didnt have this issue because I oftentimes channel EK and really push these pistol calibers in carbines. I did immediately contact the maker about a return/repair and never heard from them again after the first conversation, pretty sad.

Tall
06-24-2023, 11:21 AM
You don't mention the caliber but I would expect 2400 to give better velocity and lower pressure.

Bazoo
06-24-2023, 02:15 PM
My buddy had a Rossi in 357 Magnum. It was throated so largely that the brass wouldn’t resize far enough down to then chamber in another 357. They finally replaced it for him. The new one bulges cases too, but not as badly.

I’d guess you won’t be able to hotrod your loads safely. Maybe with brass never fired in your Rossi.

dverna
06-24-2023, 07:35 PM
Pester them and get it fixed.

You will regret it otherwise.

MT Gianni
06-26-2023, 05:03 PM
When did you buy it? What era of manufacturing does this come from? Thanks.

Bazoo
06-26-2023, 05:25 PM
My buddies was 2022

Sam Sackett
06-26-2023, 06:31 PM
Man, this is sad to hear. I am a Rossi fan, but I only have the older Interarms imported ones. I had heard that the quality picked up after they went to CNC machining. Guess that’s maybe not the case?

Sam Sackett

Bazoo
06-26-2023, 10:23 PM
I'll try to get a picture of my buddies chamber next time he's down, if I can remember... looks like it was reamed with a bratwurst. It don't have any issues feeding the RCBS 38-150-SWC though.

indian joe
06-27-2023, 07:23 AM
Man, this is sad to hear. I am a Rossi fan, but I only have the older Interarms imported ones. I had heard that the quality picked up after they went to CNC machining. Guess that’s maybe not the case?

Sam Sackett

tis sad
I had an old rossi carbine (early 1970's?) it was a good gun, sold it to a mate - he likes it
had another mate bought a 44/40 Rossi Rifle - that was as good as any Winchester clone I saw
They likely doing sloppy chambers to cater to the fffft - pop crowd (Cowboy action) helps with feed problems - brought about largely by using staright sided pistol brass calibres rather than the proper winchester calibres with their nice little mini bottle neck.