PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss metering............

3006guns
02-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I was loading some 30-06 cast yesterday and running TB through my Uniflow powder measure for the first time (been weighing each one up to this point). I visually checked the first few for powder and everything was looking good, so away we go. Raised the handle on the measure for the next charge and to my astonishment about 5 grains of powder spilled out, all over. I picked up the last case and dumped it into my scale....sure enough, short. Hmmm....emptied and recharged, then continued. Same thing happened again a few rounds later.

I keep my measure clean and have developed the technique of raising the handle BEFORE placing the case under the spout....and this is all that saved me from nearly double charging a round. I verified each individual case with a strong light after this little episode. The Uniflow comes with two spouts, a large and small. I believe the small is installed which may have aggravated the problem.

My point is that evidently Trail Boss, being light, can easily "bridge" leaving a light charge in the last case and waiting to overcharge the next UNLESS you physically "rap" the handle with each movement. Although I've had some bridging with other large grain powders in the past, they were usually heavy enough that they pretty much cleared themselves. TB is another animal altogether. I like the powder, but it's something that needs close attention.

stumpjumper
02-10-2009, 12:53 PM
how many grains of tb you running in your 06, ive been stewing on the idea for my 300 win.

sargenv
02-10-2009, 01:06 PM
When I drop Trail Boss I make sure I use the larger of the two spouts. I've had bridging problems with some stick powders and the small tube but almost never have an issue when using the larger tube. I tend to keep the small tube reserved for ball powders and some of the smaller flake and extruded powders..

I've not had any issues of powder bridging with my Dillon 650 in 30-30. I drop 8.5 gr of it with a cast 170. I made up some.. five or six hundred and no isues with a powder charge missing or bridging.

3006guns
02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Stumpjumer......I'm playing with a 10 grn. load and unchecked 177 Loverin boolits. A 9 grn. load in this configuration is on one of the milsurp sites, the idea being to reduce everything to basics....and cheap! That load requires the sights to be jacked up to the 600 yard setting, so I wanted to see if a hotter load would bring it down somewhat before problems ensue. So far the accuracy potential is pretty amazing for such a simple load (this at 50 yards). Should make a very cheap plinking/small game load with some steam behind it.

Sargenv......thanks for the info on the larger tube. I suspected that might be the problem, however the OTHER thing I noticed was that TB seems to be VERY subject to static and really clings to things. When using a Lee dipper I had the powder in a plastic tub.......not good. You could actually watch the grains fly across the tub and cling to the sides. I went to a small glass bowl and that reduced the effect considerably.

sargenv
02-11-2009, 02:04 AM
I've been told that rubbing those dryer sheets in and around plastic tubs, tubes, etc will eliminate the static but I've never tried this. I have 2 well worn powder measures that have likely had so much graphite run through them (on the powder) that nothing much sticks to them anymore.

cajun shooter
02-11-2009, 09:16 AM
You might want to try a powder baffle on your measure. RCBS now offers them for sale and I put one in mine, works great. Also use the larger drop tube that has already been posted. Them cheerios need the room.

3006guns
02-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys.......I'll install the larger tube and check with RCBS about that baffle.

94Doug
02-13-2009, 11:47 PM
I use Lee dippers with Trailboss. Didn't even try the measure. So far, I haven't been loading big numbers with this powder.