PDA

View Full Version : Best gadget I’ve seen in years

Hogtamer
06-22-2023, 05:50 PM
Went looking on amazon for the old wooden corn cutter we apparently misplaced when moving last year. Instead, I bought a cutter that consists of a drill bit to secure the bottom of the cob and a squeezable cutting ring. Drill into corn, insert into ring and run slowly over a large tub. 30 seconds tops and cob is clean from top to bottom. I’m probably way behind the curve here but this thing works great! 315269

challenger_i
06-22-2023, 05:56 PM
Neat toy! However, why would anyone ruin a perfectly good roasting ear? :p

MT Gianni
06-22-2023, 06:54 PM
We have neighbors that grow corn but we rarely get ears ripened before mid September. That also is close to the time of the first frost.

la5676
06-22-2023, 07:18 PM
That must be way north. I have yet to plant my second crop of corn. It will go in about 3rd week of July. Early corn just setting ears now

BLAHUT
06-22-2023, 07:41 PM
Went looking on amazon for the old wooden corn cutter we apparently misplaced when moving last year. Instead, I bought a cutter that consists of a drill bit to secure the bottom of the cob and a squeezable cutting ring. Drill into corn, insert into ring and run slowly over a large tub. 30 seconds tops and cob is clean from top to bottom. I’m probably way behind the curve here but this thing works great! 315269

I have had one of these for years, except mine you set the cob on a cutting board and just push down. No need for a drill...

trebor44
06-23-2023, 09:02 AM
Why the need for a drill? Had one of those (sans drill) and the wife went back to knife and teeth for better cleaning of the cob!

sparky45
06-23-2023, 09:40 AM
That must be way north. I have yet to plant my second crop of corn. It will go in about 3rd week of July. Early corn just setting ears now

I live in Sedan, Ks and my Corn is setting on right now. Going to finish digging my Potatoes and go back in with some gormet Popcorn. Hope the rain holds on.

Scrounge
06-24-2023, 11:24 AM
Neat toy! However, why would anyone ruin a perfectly good roasting ear? :p

SWMBO can no longer bite corn off the cob. So I usually cut hers off the cob with a sharp knife.

Bill

MaryB
06-24-2023, 12:07 PM
I just use a knife... always freeze 40 or so pints of sweet corn for winter eats. Good stuff in a pot of soup or stew...

Electrod47
06-24-2023, 02:40 PM
Alabama Silver King I eat on the cob so I can suck all the butter and juice right down to the nub.. Every summer, I can't get enough of it..Boil it!
Looks like a handy gadget, when you got a bushel to work with. Silver Kings gonna be available in July. I drive 100 miles back and forth 2-3 times just for that.

Hogtamer
06-24-2023, 06:56 PM
I’m through putting up my corn and I can tell you that the little gadget work amazingly well. Leaves the cobb clean as can be, milk, kernels and all.

MT Gianni
06-24-2023, 07:07 PM

Not as far north as elevation challenged. SW Montana at 4500 feet.

15meter
06-24-2023, 07:17 PM
Silver Queen was the preferred hybrid up here for years. Best flavor and sweetest before the shrunken sh2 gene showed up. I still search out Silver Queen. It's getting harder to find.

1/2" of water in a frying pan, rolling boil, put ear in and SLOWLY roll the ear across the frying pan, pull out, butter, salt and pepper. Hot enough to melt the butter and the cobb is cool enough to hold.

And husk the ears as you're walking from the field to the kitchen. Didn't always make it to the kitchen :bigsmyl2:

Rapier
06-24-2023, 07:55 PM
Yep, fresh picked silver queen, sliced fresh out of the field beef steak tomatoes and a big thick porter house steak grilled on bed springs over pecan tree coals...... One of the very best suppers in the field, ever, after a day long match. An iced sun tea.