PDA

View Full Version : Flux difference?

Rickf1985
06-22-2023, 10:11 AM
Is there a difference between Marvelux and Frankford Arsenal Cleancast flux's? I am thinking they are most likely the same chemical sold under different brands.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-22-2023, 01:25 PM
I am 99% sure they are identical, but I've never seen the MSDS for FA's Cleancast. They do act the same and are both hygroscopic, so you need to be careful [spattering] when putting some into molten alloy. Marvelux is Sodium formate which decomposes to sodium carbonate (washing soda) in the furnace.

Rickf1985
06-22-2023, 05:51 PM
I do know that all of the utensils used after fluxing and sat until cold will be full of moisture the next time you put them in the pot. It lets you know real quick with the sizzling and popping.

Gobeyond
06-24-2023, 12:41 AM
I use FA. It gets the lead really pure. A black layer on top. So I do that again. It’s good to go. What do you do with all the oxidation on top when you are ladle casting? A lot of info on fluxing in the thread ‘lead question’ in this forum.

Carrier
07-02-2023, 01:53 PM
New post

gwpercle
07-07-2023, 04:45 PM
Is there a difference between Marvelux and Frankford Arsenal Cleancast flux's? I am thinking they are most likely the same chemical sold under different brands.

Same stuff under different lable ... Flux is Flux !
Warning ... most use way too much and make a mess with residue , the less you use the better and two small fluxes will work much better than trying to use one big flux . Read the chapter on floxing in Glen E, Fryxell's book/pdf " From Ingot To Target" ,,, explains a lot about fluxes and fluxing .
Gary

Onebad06vtx
07-08-2023, 01:21 PM
I just use saw dust with no problems.