PDA

View Full Version : Annealing for bpcr

Thundermaker
06-21-2023, 06:45 PM
So, I got my case annealer in. All of my starline brass needs to be annealed to get the needed seal at BP pressures.

My question is, is there any special procedure you guys recommend for BPCR as opposed to standard annealing?

How far down the case do you think I should go? (Straight wall cases, 45/70 and 45-2.6).

I have some theories, but I'm open to experienced suggestions.

challenger_i
06-21-2023, 08:03 PM
Suggestion: Anneal the cases to the normal location. While it is your intent to be using only Holy Mother Black, at some point down the road someone just may load them with smokeless. We wouldn't want a soft case causing any unpleasantness...

Again, just a suggestion.

Minerat
06-21-2023, 09:02 PM
I did mine so the color change was about 1" down from the mouth.

greenjoytj
06-21-2023, 10:40 PM
I have only annealed 45 Colt cases not the long cases the OP mentioned.
I used a simple system consisting of placing a case in a 13 mm deep socked that had 1/4” an adapter to fit into the chuck of a battery powder hand drill.
A propane torch gently gripped by my bench vice, a pail of cold water on the floor below the torch flame.
In the dark basement the only light was from the torch flame. The neck of the case in the socket protruding ~1\2” was pushed into the torch flame for a few seconds until I could see a very dull red glow from the case neck brass.
Then the case was dumped into the cold water pail to halt heat migration to the case head.
I the dark room my eyes could not detect the cooler colours the heated metal past through, so I settled on the very dull red colour to appear before dumping the case into the water to cool.
I have no doubt that I have over annealed overly softened the case necks but my cases are now stopping better than 95% of the black powder blow back fouling in my rifle and revolvers.
I believe in time with many firings and resizing cycles the brass will work harden again allowing more than the usual amount of blow back or a case neck my split signalling it’s time to anneal that case batch again.

BLAHUT
06-21-2023, 10:42 PM
I do not anneal my 45/70 or 45/60, I do bell them, just enough to get the bullets in and center the case in the chamber,
I shoot all my loads at about 1200 FPS. Verry accurate for me....

Thundermaker
06-22-2023, 11:05 AM
Suggestion: Anneal the cases to the normal location. While it is your intent to be using only Holy Mother Black, at some point down the road someone just may load them with smokeless. We wouldn't want a soft case causing any unpleasantness...

Again, just a suggestion.

No sir, there will be no smokeless in these rifles. That would defeat my purpose for buying them. :smile:

MOA
06-22-2023, 11:56 AM
I annealed my 50-90 SS with the drill and socket method before loading up with cornmeal and sealed with a cork over card and waterglass. I used 12 grains of unique for first fire forming in the new cut chamber. I've reloaded with black powder for the next firing under a 395 grain Great Plains boolit. Hopefully the seal will be good.

https://i.postimg.cc/nVDSg8St/IMG-20230613-161322823.jpg (https://postimg.cc/8sTbfYVy)

stubshaft
06-22-2023, 01:24 PM
I did mine so the color change was about 1" down from the mouth.

Same for me. I want the neck to seal the chamber and insure there is no powder blowback.

Gobeyond
06-25-2023, 06:08 PM
I don’t anneal my 45 colt yet. But I annealed 43 Mauser. I was grateful that it had a neck and shoulder for sealing. Now too I anneal 30-30 because it extends the life of the brass. Must have close to 15 reloads.

challenger_i
06-25-2023, 08:09 PM
However, do bear in mind you may not always have possession the brass. This is why I made the suggestion.

No sir, there will be no smokeless in these rifles. That would defeat my purpose for buying them. :smile: