PDA

View Full Version : the price of oil

farmbif
06-21-2023, 06:12 PM
I needed 10 gallons of gear oil and some hydraulic oil and was pretty much floored by the prices at local auto parts stores. but, much to my surprise my buddy in the plumbing dept at the local Lowes told me that Lowes its trying to compete with other places selling stuff like oil. sure enough $63 for 5 gallons of gear lube and its in stock compared to $104 from Napa for oil with the same rating.
just thought id share this and maybe try lowes when you go to get some oil and its $8 a quart at the dollar store

justindad
06-21-2023, 06:48 PM
Auto store prices are a rip off. I get all my motor oil from Walmart.

CastingFool
06-21-2023, 07:18 PM
If you're a veteran, Lowe's will give you a 10% discount.

Winger Ed.
06-21-2023, 08:08 PM
Take your DD214 and fill out a form at the service desk and they'll put you in the computer for it.
Give them your phone number at check out and they apply it.
There's a few things- like on some sale items it doesn't apply to, but almost everything else.
I think Home Depot does it too.

sigep1764
06-22-2023, 12:58 AM
I just spent 75 bucks on a filter and 4 quarts of Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. I’ve always used Mobil 1 in all my vehicles but hot dang that was a shock.

GregLaROCHE
06-22-2023, 03:40 AM

That’s good to know.

Lloyd Smale
06-22-2023, 04:05 AM

but not on appliances or anything thats already on sale

bedbugbilly
06-22-2023, 09:00 AM
Interesting. Years ago, we used to buy gear lube from our local Standard Oil Distributor that also furnished our heating oil for the house and our fuel for the farm - in those days, he had the best prices and the local NAPA couldn't even begin to compete with him. Of course there weren't the big box stores then. I just shake my head now when I hear folks talk about the prices of oil, and of course it is no better if you have a garage change your oil in your vehicle.

In the end, it all multiples and compounds the cost of everything. Thank you Joe Biden and all of your cronies for making us dependent on foreign oil.

Winger Ed.
06-22-2023, 09:17 AM
I just spent 75 bucks on a filter and 4 quarts of Mobil 1 motorcycle oil.

It isn't really a rip off.
The synthetic oils cost a lot more to produce than the old school stuff does.

Something you don't see any more is the old 'service stations' where you got gas and they had one or two mechanic's bays.
They were the 'Jiffy Lube' of their day. Some also sold the used oil they took out of cars for their oil changes.

It sold for about 10 cents a quart and was bought by folks with a car that burned so much oil that when you
pulled in to the service station--- you'd have them 'fill the oil, and check the gas'.

Kraschenbirn
06-22-2023, 10:51 AM
Veteran's discount at Home Depot, too...and can be use for appliances (bought a dehumidifier for basement there last week). Don't have to do any registration, just show valid I.D...one of the few 'good things' Illinois Secretary of State's office does is to put 'Veteran" on our Drivers License if requested.

Bill

jimlj
06-22-2023, 11:48 AM
Auto store prices are a rip off. I get all my motor oil from Walmart.

I usually do as well. I'm not a oil snob so I buy what is less expensive. I had a Jeep I drove over 250,000 miles on wally oil
I buy oil at Costco as well when I get to the city.

farmerjim
06-22-2023, 12:28 PM
I stocked up a few years ago at $35 for 5 gal.
I don't have the Kubota hydrolic oil, it was in the 90's for 5 gal several years ago.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-22-2023, 12:32 PM
JUST a heads up...
When buying non-synth automotive oil at Walmart, and you decide to buy the cheapest non-branded oil they have, be sure to look at the API rating. Walmart will sell oil that has a API rating that is 5 to 10 years older than what is current...of course, if your car is 20 years old, no big deal.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-22-2023, 12:35 PM

Something you don't see any more is the old 'service stations' where you got gas and they had one or two mechanic's bays.
They were the 'Jiffy Lube' of their day. Some also sold the used oil they took out of cars for their oil changes.

It sold for about 10 cents a quart and was bought by folks with a car that burned so much oil that when you
pulled in to the service station--- you'd have them 'fill the oil, and check the gas'.

Speaking of using/burning used oil in a old car, I had a 1968 Chev van with a 307 V8 that used/burnt a couple quarts of oil per tank of gas. I had all my friends save their used oil for me.

Bazoo
06-22-2023, 12:42 PM

My cousin had a 71 chevy truck and it had a 235 inline 6 out of a nova or something in it. He sold it to me for $400 and I drove it a while. It killed me in the cost of oil, it used a quart of oil every 20 miles because tt leaked so badly. I asked him how he could stand it. He had been running use oil through it which he'd saved from all his oil changes since he was a kid and probably could get some free from his work too. I replaced the oil pan gasket and the headgasket. I was really just a kid when I did that, and all I did was slow the leak, not eliminate it. I took the oil pan off with the motor still in the truck by jacking it up enough that i'd clear. I don't remember, what other rigamaroar I went through to get it off. It was a real pain. I finally sold it back to him for $400

Bazoo
06-22-2023, 12:49 PM
I usually use walmart oil. My family has always been into cars, hot rodding them, working on them. I've always heard that if they got a motor that had been kept with valvoline in it, and they tore it down, it'd be clean inside. But with any other oil, it'd be full of sludge. I never got into it, but I took their word for it and made note of it when I switched to walmart oil. I do like valvoline better, but I didn't care for the price. The car doesn't seem to notice a difference.

I always heard that if you change brands of oil you'll spin a bearing. I helped my buddy change his oil once. He had been using Pennzoil I think. Well, he came over with 5 quarts of something cheap. We changed it. And when we fired it up, it knocked. I went around the corner to where a friend lived, he was a car guy like my family, but he was a ford guy whereas my family was chevy folks. I told him about this oil change and asked him if there was any truth to the oil changing thing i'd heard. He sad absolutely. He said go buy the kind of oil that had been in the car and put it back in, and it'd stop knocking. We did, and it did indeed stop knocking. I couldn't believe it.

Bmi48219
06-22-2023, 12:50 PM
…. Some also sold the used oil they took out of cars for their oil changes.It sold for about 10 cents a quart and was bought by folks with a car that burned so much oil that when you….

I had a buddy in HS that ran his leaking VW on my used motor oil. I took him to the full service M&H gas station where I usually filled up. The had ‘bulk oil’ in a rack next to the white gas pump. This oil was in glass quart jars with a metal spout lid, for ten cent per quart.
They also gave certificates (one per gallon) for your purchases. You could redeem them for items (tissue, soap, dishes, silverware and small home goods) in the display case between the pumps.

fiberoptik
06-22-2023, 12:56 PM
Had an old Datsun 4 banger pickup. Changed oil, used Pensoil. It ran hotter. Dumped it and added the old brand. Back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schutzen-jager
06-22-2023, 02:58 PM
retired + we usually do a few garage + estate sales on weekends - usually get sealed quarts of good brand regular + synthetic for $1.00 a quart -

Winger Ed.
06-22-2023, 03:54 PM
. I was really just a kid when I did that, and all I did was slow the leak, not eliminate it.

Back then slow oil consumption and/or blue smoke usually meant the rings and/or the valve stems & their seals were worn out.
The big leaks were usually from the front and/or rear main seals where the end of the crankshaft came out side the block.

Greatly improved oil seals has pretty much stopped excess oil consumption, and eliminated that big black oil slick that used
to be between the tire tracks on all the roads.

That 2 piece rope looking rear main seal GM used back then wasn't that great when the cars were new.
And time was never kind to them.

SSGOldfart
06-29-2023, 03:32 PM
I had an old 49 ford flat bed that used/burned more oil then gas back in the day, but it got me where I needed to go.[smilie=1:

country gent
06-29-2023, 05:22 PM
We never burnt old oil but had an old international 400 that we saved the plugs from every spring through out the year they got put in #4 cylinder its rings were bad and would foul the plug way sooner than the others

Brokenbear
06-29-2023, 10:18 PM
Farm supply stores generally have great prices on motor and hydrolic oils ..kind of a loss leader for them ..as faemers have lots of use for all kinds of oil

Bear