PDA

View Full Version : Today was a work day - baked some lead muffins . . . .

bedbugbilly
06-20-2023, 06:33 PM
As my father always said – “That’s another good job done.”. I’m “older” and am downsizing on the reloading. I don’t shoot as much anymore and am going to concentrate mainly on my C & B revolvers with conversion cylinders and my old 38s.

So today was “clean up the boolit shelf day”. Like a lot of folks, I had peanut jars with boolits – some with just a few rounds in them and others that I had waaaaay too many of for guns I don’t own anymore. I fired up the pot and was just going to do some of them, but it sort of got away from me. By the time I finished up, I’d “baked” 59 muffins worth of range lead – some of which were from boolits I had cast over 25 yers ago, I have to say that when I got done, the “boolit shelf” looked a lot better, was fully organized and I now have muffins to melt when it comes time to cast up more of what I load and use now. Some were for rifles that I no longer own in calibers I no longer shoot. It felt good when I got done – a job I have put off for, well, years.

Being “old”, I mark my lead so I know what it is, ‘cause after time, I may forget what it is, I use a permanent marker – RL = range lead, PL = pure lead and HL = hard lead.

All of today’s work was range lead. Next job is to melt down some heavy foundry pigs of pure lead that I have put off for longer than I should.

MrWolf
06-21-2023, 08:34 AM
Nicely done. That is on my "someaday" list. I use the letter/number stamps to mark mine just in case as markers are not always permanent. I do have to put a note with the meanings of the stamps one of these days.

JimB..
06-21-2023, 09:11 AM
We put off cleaning up, but it can be so rewarding! I am shamed by the incomplete projects pushed to the side of the bench, need to finish or toss those things.

lightman
06-21-2023, 10:48 AM
We all need to do that from time to time. Me and a buddy used to get together in the late winter of early spring and melt/smelt our years accumulation of scrap. Neither one of us accumulated enough last year to get together this year.
I bought 2 sets of steel stamps from Harbor Freight and tack welded a few together for marking my ingots. PB=soft lead. WW= Wheelweights, ect

WRideout
06-21-2023, 10:57 AM
I am a hunter-gatherer. My wife tells me I collect useless junk, but it's all stuff I know I will use. Someday.

Wayne

JCM45
06-21-2023, 11:15 AM
Nice job!

Walter Laich
06-21-2023, 12:25 PM
well done Kemo Sabe (tells you how old I am)

I did the same thing, but not to the scale you did, a few months back.

And felt much better about how my bullet stores (military for supplies) looked when I was done.

I store mine on a section of the garage floor--don't need to worry that the weight will collapse the floor under it--I have a story about storing them on shelving, but that's for another day

Winger Ed.
06-21-2023, 04:26 PM
I’d “baked” 59 muffins worth of range lead –

Be careful serving them and don't let 'em get stale. I'd hate to hear someone chipped a tooth on one.

dondiego
06-21-2023, 05:16 PM
I am a hunter-gatherer. My wife tells me I collect useless junk, but it's all stuff I know I will use. Someday.

Wayne

I hear ya! ........and my kids are going to hate me when I pass on to the happy hunting grounds! It's all valuable stuff though, really, it is!

Winger Ed.
06-21-2023, 08:14 PM
My Mother in Law was a hoot. The little figurines & nick-nacks she had all over the house were quite valuable---- 'collectables'.
All the Father in Law's things were 'junk that should be in the garage'.

G W Wade
06-21-2023, 09:09 PM
Maybe we could get together for lunch. Did some lead cornbread recently What kind of lube jam do you prefer? GW