PDA

View Full Version : Dry ice

jim 44-40
06-20-2023, 02:25 PM
Do the Wally Marts down south still sell dry ice?

HWooldridge
06-20-2023, 02:28 PM
Yes - some do, and you can get it at the local grocery stores.

fiberoptik
06-20-2023, 10:31 PM
Buy it at Publix here in Jacksonville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minerat
06-20-2023, 11:27 PM
They had it available in Greenriver UT back in the 80' for people taking ice to Lake Powell. We usually got 400# of ice to last 4 days and used dry ice to keep it froze in large coolers. That was before portable generator became available to run small freezers. Had to keep the beer cold someway.

ulav8r
06-22-2023, 01:48 AM
In just over 65 years of going to the grocery store I have seen dry ice available one time and it was not in Arkansas. It was at least 40 years ago and I don't remember where it was.

GregLaROCHE
06-22-2023, 03:38 AM
I’m surprised you can find dry ice in retail grocery stores today. I used to get it at an industrial area. That’s what used to keep the ice cream frozen in the Good Humor trucks.

Handloader109
06-22-2023, 07:53 AM
Nope, not in Arkansas or Mississippi. Never have

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

HWooldridge
06-22-2023, 08:06 AM
We can buy it at the local HEB grocery stores. Of course, HEB is known for selling most everything. They are almost like the old Sears company, without the catalog...LOL

bedbugbilly
06-22-2023, 08:40 AM
The first time I was Introduced to try ice was when I was maybe 10 and I helped my Dad man a booth for the local businessman's organization at a festival they sponsored in town to raise money for charity. We used it in a freezer to keep ice cream sandwiches cold - I remember we sold them for a dime and the made a nickel on each one.

So I've never really thought about it - how cold does dry ice have to be kept in a commercial freezer in a store to keep it cold enough so their inventory doesn't "disappear? Is a home freezer capable of getting cold enough to be able to buy it and keep it on hand for when a person might want to use it in a cooler when going on a trip?

I ask because we get salmon and it is shipped id dry ice. We always just put it outside to evaporate, but if a home freezer would keep it cold enough, I would save some to use in a cooler for when we travel back and forth between Michigan and Arizona. I don't remember seeing it in our local grocery, but will have to check on that.

KenH
06-22-2023, 09:53 AM
Nope, a home freezer won't keep dry ice very long. Dry Ice is around -95°F and needs close that temp to stay frozen long term. A home freezer will make it last longer than sitting on back porch.

Here in Baldwin Co, AL I purchased dry ice at Public and Walmart both before getting a dewar for LN.

HWooldridge
06-22-2023, 10:33 AM
My dad always used it on trips. He would buy the dry ice, wrap it up in several layers of cling wrap, then put it in the bottom of the ice chest and dump water ice on top. The dry ice would make the regular ice last longer than usual and the top layer helped insulate the dry ice from evaporating so quickly. Even with all that work, I don't think we ever got more than three days use.

.429&H110
06-22-2023, 01:11 PM
Look up "Dry ice bomb"

Some stores might be reluctant to sell dry ice to some people.

A silly crime would be felonious possession of dry ice...

ascast
06-22-2023, 01:23 PM
You can get it here but in special industrial supply

Castaway
06-22-2023, 02:10 PM
The South is a pretty large place. Is there a specific state and community you have in mind?

.429&H110
06-22-2023, 11:23 PM
Fry's supermarket in Tucson website shows dry ice for $2.29 for a pound.
Will be 112F tomorrow, might be a good way to get the ice cream home.

bedbugbilly
06-23-2023, 08:33 AM
.429&H110 - thanks - I didn't know that - i'm guessing that it might be available at Fry's in Sahuarita then. Nice to know that it's available on that end to get some for the cooler for when we head back to Michigan in the springtime. We have a dog that is on medication that has to be kept cold and it would be nice to have some to make the ice last longer while on the road.

Stay cool - I saw it was going to be a bit warm there - but hey - "it's a dry heat". :-)

GregLaROCHE
06-23-2023, 11:22 AM
I got some once to take to a Halloween party to make fog on the floor. I put it in an igloo cooler and the plastic got so cold it cracked. We also had fun that night putting chips in white wine to turn it into bubbling Champagne.

jim 44-40
06-23-2023, 02:47 PM
The South is a pretty large place. Is there a specific state and community you have in mind?

Anywhere below the 38th Parallel

georgerkahn
06-23-2023, 04:08 PM
Bion, a few years back I purchased a small dry ice maker. One needs a CO2 cylinder which feeds "upside down" -- e.g, the liquid comes out -- and a small metal tube feeds to a container a tad bigger than a soda-pop (12oz) can. It takes but a very few minutes to make one; I roll them in SEVERAL layers of newspaper; and -- I get super-cooling (in a Yeti cooler) for several hours to a day. I don't use it much now, but when I salmon fished -- a two and one-half hour drive to get back home -- and this before 12 volt fridges which then ran about $1,200 USD -- it was indispensable! Funny, after I had used it quite often I then learned one is NOT supposed to have dry ice in the passenger compartment of any vehicle -- and :) I recall the many trips home with windows closed and heat on -- dry ice cooler behind my seat in my truck.... (Stupid is, stupid does???)
Anyhoos -- it's not rocket science to make your own, and -- at least when I purchased my gear -- one didn't have to mortgage the house to buy it.
geo

Iron369
06-23-2023, 07:05 PM
I buy it in Kentucky. I also get a meat box shipped to the house and it comes packed in dry ice bags. We use it at work to “scrape” spray foam off sheet metal without using tools that will damage the surface.

Cheap Trick
06-23-2023, 09:50 PM
A couple of years ago I read an article about how (I think it was) Chicago was using dry ice to off rats, they would shove a tablespoon of dry ice into a tunnel and cover up the hole. The resulting carbon dioxide would asphyxiate the vermin in the den. I wondered if this would work on moles and gophers too?

MaryB
06-24-2023, 12:19 PM
In the upper Midwest HyVee grocery stores carry it...

Beerd
06-24-2023, 05:16 PM
I’m surprised you can find dry ice in retail grocery stores today. I used to get it at an industrial area. That’s what used to keep the ice cream frozen in the Good Humor trucks.

The Good Humor Man!
I knew it from your avatar! :)

Recycled bullet
06-24-2023, 06:16 PM
Bion, a few years back I purchased a small dry ice maker. One needs a CO2 cylinder which feeds "upside down" -- e.g, the liquid comes out -- and a small metal tube feeds to a container a tad bigger than a soda-pop (12oz) can. It takes but a very few minutes to make one; I roll them in SEVERAL layers of newspaper; and -- I get super-cooling (in a Yeti cooler) for several hours to a day. I don't use it much now, but when I salmon fished -- a two and one-half hour drive to get back home -- and this before 12 volt fridges which then ran about $1,200 USD -- it was indispensable! Funny, after I had used it quite often I then learned one is NOT supposed to have dry ice in the passenger compartment of any vehicle -- and :) I recall the many trips home with windows closed and heat on -- dry ice cooler behind my seat in my truck.... (Stupid is, stupid does???)
Anyhoos -- it's not rocket science to make your own, and -- at least when I purchased my gear -- one didn't have to mortgage the house to buy it.
geoI hope you never fainted while driving.…how terrible could that be if you were driving very fast!?

GregLaROCHE
06-25-2023, 04:11 AM
geo

How much does the set up cost to make your own?