PDA

View Full Version : For Thought and Meditation - Tuesday, June 20

Pine Baron
06-20-2023, 06:14 AM
Good morning all. "knowledge without God", this message hit the nail on the head. Have a safe and blessed day.

Chasing the Wind
by Greg Laurie on Jun 20, 2023

So I set out to learn everything from wisdom to madness and folly. But I learned firsthand that pursuing all this is like chasing the wind.
—Ecclesiastes 1:17

J. Robert Oppenheimer, a brilliant physicist, was head of the Los Alamos Laboratory, which developed the atomic bomb. He also directed the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey.

Yet the year before he died, he said this about his accomplishments: “They leave on the tongue only the taste of ashes.”

We celebrate our dramatic advances in science and technology, and they are breathtaking to say the least. We live in a technologically advanced age, and we truly have become a global village. Still, it seems that all this technology has numbed our souls a little bit more. That’s because we have pursued knowledge without God.

Solomon came to the same conclusion. He wrote, “So I set out to learn everything from wisdom to madness and folly. But I learned firsthand that pursuing all this is like chasing the wind. The greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge only increases sorrow” (Ecclesiastes 1:17–18 NLT).

If intellectualism alone were the key to purpose and fulfillment, then our college campuses would be bastions of peace and purpose. However, on the campuses of secular universities today we can find the most bizarre, aberrant ideas available. We also can see the emptiness of academic pursuit without God.

I would even say this lack of belief in God, which comes from many of our colleges and universities, has led to the moral breakdown in our country today. Now our young people are taught they are not created in the image of God. And then we’re surprised when people who believe they have evolved from animals go out and act like them.

Of course, the pursuit of knowledge and a good education is noble and valuable. But if in that pursuit we leave God out, then it indeed will be an empty one.

square butte
06-20-2023, 06:27 AM
This is a great lesson - Thanks for the word and Scripture this morning. God Bless

Wayne Smith
06-20-2023, 07:43 AM
Excellent reminder. And very true.

USMC87
06-20-2023, 08:20 AM
Amen, wisdom is found in God!

WRideout
06-20-2023, 01:19 PM
And so also the pursuit of power without God's guidance.

Wayne