PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get my father a .45-70 Lever Gun for Deer hunting

Spencer_Murphy
06-19-2023, 01:40 PM
Hey all, as the thread title suggests I am in the market for a .45-70 rifle for my father. For about three years now he has been talking about puttin his old .44 Magnum Marlin Guide Gun back on the rack and get a .45-70. He toyed with a single shot but decided he wanted another lever gun. A local gun shop whose owner I am good friends with is an Authorized Henry Dealer and said he could get great deals on Henry Repeaters below the M.S.P on the Henry website. That all being said I was looking at the Henry Color Case Hardened Side Gate in .45-70. I think the only $100 more than the blackened steel finish is worth it... lol. I have never owned a Henry let alone any lever rifle besides lever operated single shot falling blocks... are they good rifles ? I know Marlin still makes the guide gun in .45-70, does the Henry stack up well against other .45-70 rifles ? I know the Henry has the 22" barrel which I have read gives those 325gr Hornady rounds some great flight. I also see the Henry only has a capacity of 4 rounds where Marlin is 6+1 (my father really only needs one round anyway. Anyone who wants to put their two cents in by all means do. Those with personal experience or those that own the Henry .45-70 please comment your experience with it. Thanks to all who reply.

huntinlever
06-19-2023, 01:44 PM
Hey all, as the thread title suggests I am in the market for a .45-70 rifle for my father. For about three years now he has been talking about puttin his old .44 Magnum Marlin Guide Gun back on the rack and get a .45-70. He toyed with a single shot but decided he wanted another lever gun. A local gun shop whose owner I am good friends with is an Authorized Henry Dealer and said he could get great deals on Henry Repeaters below the M.S.P on the Henry website. That all being said I was looking at the Henry Color Case Hardened Side Gate in .45-70. I think the only $100 more than the blackened steel finish is worth it... lol. I have never owned a Henry let alone any lever rifle besides lever operated single shot falling blocks... are they good rifles ? I know Marlin still makes the guide gun in .45-70, does the Henry stack up well against other .45-70 rifles ? I know the Henry has the 22" barrel which I have read gives those 325gr Hornady rounds some great flight. I also see the Henry only has a capacity of 4 rounds where Marlin is 6+1 (my father really only needs one round anyway. Anyone who wants to put their two cents in by all means do. Those with personal experience or those that own the Henry .45-70 please comment your experience with it. Thanks to all who reply.

Never had a Henry but I understand they are great rifles. Not sure if you're talking about the Marlin guide gun's capacity, but it's only 4+1. I absolutely love my guide gun and will never part with it. Up to 150 yards, I'd feel confident taking anything anywhere on the continent. Got it for $600 back in 2015 and feel pretty lucky.

elmacgyver0
06-19-2023, 02:09 PM
The Henry has a lifetime warrantee for the original buyer.
I have the model H010X, I would have preferred walnut stocks to the polymer ones, but the threaded muzzle was more important to me.
I really like it and the polymer stock is growing on me.

Randy Bohannon
06-19-2023, 02:15 PM
Stick with the Marlin/Rugers for a better fit and finish. I don’t like anything offered by Henry, heavy and clunky.

murf205
06-19-2023, 02:26 PM
Spencer, every report that I have read says the same thing about the new Ruger made Marlin 45/70's and that is that they have great fit and finish. Operation is smooth as the old Marlins and they are accurate. For the money and value, I have to vote for the Ruglin. I have never owned a Henry and their reputation is good but in a subtle way, just ask dad which he would buy.

Spencer_Murphy
06-19-2023, 03:31 PM
The Henry has a lifetime warrantee for the original buyer.
I have the model H010X, I would have preferred walnut stocks to the polymer ones, but the threaded muzzle was more important to me.
I really like it and the polymer stock is growing on me.

My father is a definite hardliner on wood in guns. He hates Polymer stock furniture. Thats why I liked that Henry with the Case Coloring as it has Walnut furniture I will look and see if Marlin has the same walnut or other wood offered.

Spencer_Murphy
06-19-2023, 03:32 PM
Stick with the Marlin/Rugers for a better fit and finish. I don’t like anything offered by Henry, heavy and clunky.

I did see on the website for Henry that the rifle weighed in at 8.1lbs loaded fully.

Spencer_Murphy
06-19-2023, 03:34 PM
Never had a Henry but I understand they are great rifles. Not sure if you're talking about the Marlin guide gun's capacity, but it's only 4+1. I absolutely love my guide gun and will never part with it. Up to 150 yards, I'd feel confident taking anything anywhere on the continent. Got it for $600 back in 2015 and feel pretty lucky.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895guide/

That Marlin is the one I was talking about with the 6+1 capacity. My one uncle has a guide gun he bought in 1992 same as my father's rifle just his is .45 Gov and my father's is .44 mag.

BLAHUT
06-19-2023, 03:41 PM
I have a marlin 45/70 guide gun and love it, wood stock and stainless steel. I load heavy for bears, accurate out to 100 and beyond.
If I were looking, this is what I would get again ! I had a henry, good gun, went with marlin, more rounds on board.
Ask your dad what he wants ????

EastoftheBay
06-19-2023, 03:47 PM

I can tell you from experience with the new Ruger/Marlin 1895 GBL "Guide Gun". I bought one for my father for his birthday last November. He had an old .30-30 336 Marlin but he wanted a straight wall to hunt local and retire the 12 ga. I bought him one out the door at a discount for $950.00 before taxes and fees. Usually they are $1200~$1300 and I was very dissapointed in it. The stock furniture although wood is very cheaply made and the laminate was peeling off the wood after one rain. The 1895 only has a 19.5" barrel and weighs only 1.6lbs less than the henry while carryin 3 more rounds. But you have to figure that Henry has 2 1/2" more barrel. I turned the rifle back into Marlin to have a couple things repaired under warranty and that was Febuary and I havent gotten it back yet. Im probably gonna buy my father a Henry so he can hunt this year since I cant get a straight answer over the phone from the customer support and emails take about a week to get a reply if you're lucky.

Spencer_Murphy
06-19-2023, 03:52 PM
I can tell you from experience with the new Ruger/Marlin 1895 GBL "Guide Gun". I bought one for my father for his birthday last November. He had an old .30-30 336 Marlin but he wanted a straight wall to hunt local and retire the 12 ga. I bought him one out the door at a discount for $950.00 before taxes and fees. Usually they are $1200~$1300 and I was very dissapointed in it. The stock furniture although wood is very cheaply made and the laminate was peeling off the wood after one rain. The 1895 only has a 19.5" barrel and weighs only 1.6lbs less than the henry while carryin 3 more rounds. But you have to figure that Henry has 2 1/2" more barrel. I turned the rifle back into Marlin to have a couple things repaired under warranty and that was Febuary and I havent gotten it back yet. Im probably gonna buy my father a Henry so he can hunt this year since I cant get a straight answer over the phone from the customer support and emails take about a week to get a reply if you're lucky.

Huh, I figured all that customer support stuff wouldve been squared away. My one uncle who has passed away bought a Marlin rifle when Marlin sold to Remington about 12 years ago I guess. The rifle was setting off rounds as soon as the bolt closed up and he sent it back to get fixed and that rifle was gone for 2 whole years. I figured Ruger wouldve fixed that when they bought out Marlin in a few years ago. I like that Henry has a lifetime warranty. I know Winchester is still around and they have those Italian Stallion .45 lever guns but Id rather buy from an American company (nothing built here these days though)

huntinlever
06-19-2023, 04:06 PM
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895guide/

That Marlin is the one I was talking about with the 6+1 capacity. My one uncle has a guide gun he bought in 1992 same as my father's rifle just his is .45 Gov and my father's is .44 mag.

Gotcha, thanks, I'd forgotten about the 1895 GBL model. Nice.

freakonaleash
06-19-2023, 04:15 PM
I have a Pedersoli 1886 in 45 70 with a 22" barrel. Shoots better than I can hold it. It's another good option. Nice wood, good fit and finish, operates smoothly. I bought it used for $1100.

smorin2
06-19-2023, 06:14 PM
I own two Henry lever actions,one in 327/32H&R and the other is a 30/30. Both have nice walnut furniture,a slick action and shoot great. I'd buy another Henry.

Randy Bohannon
06-19-2023, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE]I did see on the website for Henry that the rifle weighed in at 8.1lbs loaded fully[QUOTE]

Less than 8lbs with 4 rounds loaded will beat the crap out anyone shooting a 45-70 . Good luck with that.

gc45
06-19-2023, 08:12 PM
As a father myself, were my boys to buy me a Winchester or Browning reproduction 1886 lever in 4570 I would turn cartwheels, if I could still do it. So much more rifle than a Henry but Henry does make a great 22Lr..New or used the Browning and Win are just great rifles and well made throughout.

Rockindaddy
06-19-2023, 08:30 PM
Have banged over 30 Bambi's with a Marlin 1895 336 Model. Use Elmer Keiths favorite load: 53 grs of 3031 pushin a 400 gr Speer flat point. Factory ammo is loaded so it can be shot in the Trapdoor Springfield. Roll your own or get a handloader to load em for you. The farthest I have ever shot a deer was 175 yds. They hardly ever get up after knocking em down. Spend your money wisely. The original 1886 Winchester is still right up there too. The Henry's are clunky looking. There are some good deals out there. Look on Guns International!

murf205
06-19-2023, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE]I did see on the website for Henry that the rifle weighed in at 8.1lbs loaded fully[QUOTE]

Less than 8lbs with 4 rounds loaded will beat the crap out anyone shooting a 45-70 . Good luck with that.

I'll second that Randy. My 1895 with the 405 gr boolits would get up in your face. The Handi Rifle I had would REALLY get in your mug, it was too light by a long shot, but I was loading it to around 1500 fps.
Spencer, are you and your dad hunting in Maryland? I read the regs and as I understand them, the rifle only needs to be straight walled. I don't know recoil sensitive your father is but a new 360 Buck Hammer in the Henry might just be an idea. It has a .358 barrel as opposed to the silly .355 barrel on the 350 Legend. A bit larger bore would be the 38-55. I can only speak for myself but I shoot less brutal cartridges a lot better than bazooka loads! If CVA made their stainless Scout single shot in the 360, I would have one in my safe now.

HWooldridge
06-19-2023, 09:14 PM
I bought a Marlin 1895 in 1977, pre-safety and with the Ballard type rifling. It’s killed quite a few deer and many more feral hogs. They stop when shot, as if they hit the end of a rope. Accuracy is similar between cast and j-words, and I can mix up loads without experiencing grouping issues. I’m not selling this one, but if it happened to fall out of a boat, I’d go find another early gun, without the “lawyer safety”.

I’ve handled the Henry, and it was too bulky for my tastes, but different strokes for different folks.

Spencer_Murphy
06-19-2023, 09:36 PM
[QUOTE=Randy Bohannon;5590271][QUOTE]I did see on the website for Henry that the rifle weighed in at 8.1lbs loaded fully

I'll second that Randy. My 1895 with the 405 gr boolits would get up in your face. The Handi Rifle I had would REALLY get in your mug, it was too light by a long shot, but I was loading it to around 1500 fps.
Spencer, are you and your dad hunting in Maryland? I read the regs and as I understand them, the rifle only needs to be straight walled. I don't know recoil sensitive your father is but a new 360 Buck Hammer in the Henry might just be an idea. It has a .358 barrel as opposed to the silly .355 barrel on the 350 Legend. A bit larger bore would be the 38-55. I can only speak for myself but I shoot less brutal cartridges a lot better than bazooka loads! If CVA made their stainless Scout single shot in the 360, I would have one in my safe now.

Yea me and my father live in Maryland. My great grandfather had an old Winchester in .38-55. My father is dead set on .45 Gov though. Recoil isnt a problem for him he is 51 but he is 6'3" and 245lbs .45-70 is only a speed bump for him plus he wears a lot of clothes in winter when he will use this rifle as he gets cold fast due to old age.... lol. I myself would love to get a Savage 99 in .38-55 though. Really looking into a Henry for my father though and he wasnt a fan of my uncles H&R Shikari or Buffalo Classic.

Jeff Michel
06-19-2023, 10:17 PM
I have a Henry All Weather and a Marlin Trapper, it's a toss up on which shoots better or is finished off nicer. They weigh about the same and yes Virginia, they do kick using upper end Marlin loads.

oconeedan
06-19-2023, 10:25 PM
First, you are one heck of a son!
That said, my Marlin 45-70 is my favorite hunting rifle. I have a 2006 stainless steel version. But they should be all good. I understand Henry makes a good rifle, and I would like to buy one some day.

veeman
06-19-2023, 11:07 PM
Old age at 51?? I wondered about that. I was picturing someone in their 70's or 80's, and thought a Winchester 94 in 30-30 would be better suited for someone advanced age. But at 51, I'd find him a Browning SRC.

indian joe
06-20-2023, 12:06 AM

I agree - and getting beat up leads to blink and miss style shooting for many . the full length repro 1886 rifles are up around ten pound or close - they dont boot near so bad - Browning , Winchester , Pedersoli , Chiappa (mine is a Chiappa = no stoopid safeties )

indian joe
06-20-2023, 12:09 AM
Old age at 51?? I wondered about that. I was picturing someone in their 70's or 80's, and thought a Winchester 94 in 30-30 would be better suited for someone advanced age. But at 51, I'd find him a Browning SRC.

eh! ..........70's aint old age !!!!!

FergusonTO35
06-21-2023, 02:09 PM

My Henry single shot weighs less than any of my .30-30's and is lotsa fun to shoot with a 300 grain slug over 12.8 grains Unique. I'm a total recoil wimp and can shoot it all day no problem. Haven't taken anything with it yet but I imagine it would put the smack down on anything in North America, given that this load should duplicate stout .44 Magnum power level:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=48

TNsailorman
06-21-2023, 02:17 PM
Why a 45-70, which is a known kicker. You don't need that much bullet for deer. I would recommend a Henry Long Ranger in .308 Winchester or .243 Winchester lever instead of 45-70. Both with less recoil an plenty of power for deer. my .02 anyway, james

gc45
06-21-2023, 08:19 PM
The 4570 is not hard kicking in standard loads. The old tried and true 1350-fps trapdoor loads will kill about anything you will encounter other than Grizzly bears at a long distance. To date; I have taken Bison, elk, deer and moose with my original 1886 made in 1889 using such loads and 400gr cast boolits. Have duplicated these kills using my 4590 made in 1891 and using 330 grain cast boolits. Full modern powerhouse loads just are not needed nor are they fun to shoot. The modern Winchester and Marlins are nice guns and will take much hotter loads so if that is the pressure levels you seek, then by all means go that route.

MostlyLeverGuns
06-21-2023, 09:56 PM
I have four Henry's, standard .22, octagon 24" .22, octagon .17 HMR, and a Long Ranger .223. All are nicely finished and very accurate, I expect to go less than .75MOA with a little more Load development with the.223. I also have a couple Marlin 45-70's, one is an early straight grip that HAD the curved butt plate, changed to recoil pad and a Remlin Cowboy. I have carried the straight grip a great deal and have killed many elk and a few deer. Recoil is significant with 300 grain bullets at 2200, but most don't need that power. I have looked at the Henry Side-gate rifles, but I really have enough Savage 99's and Marlin's to cover any 'need', but I am thinking about a Henry Long Ranger in 6.5 Creedmoor, just because. Henry does make very good rifles.

FergusonTO35
06-22-2023, 08:28 AM
The 4570 is not hard kicking in standard loads. The old tried and true 1350-fps trapdoor loads will kill about anything you will encounter other than Grizzly bears at a long distance. To date; I have taken Bison, elk, deer and moose with my original 1886 made in 1889 using such loads and 400gr cast boolits. Have duplicated these kills using my 4590 made in 1891 and using 330 grain cast boolits. Full modern powerhouse loads just are not needed nor are they fun to shoot. The modern Winchester and Marlins are nice guns and will take much hotter loads so if that is the pressure levels you seek, then by all means go that route.

This 100%. As the owner of a Browning BLR .308 (almost the same thing as the Henry Long Ranger), I can tell you that it kicks alot more than trapdoor loads in my single shot Henry.

Now, if you don't reload then you will be at the mercy of whatever factory ammo you can find for the .45-70. Many of these loads will kick more than the .308 and none of them are cheap. I think .30-30 or .308 are the best choice of an all around hunting rifle for someone who doesn't reload.

MrWolf
06-22-2023, 08:48 AM

I agree. I have my Marlin 45/70 and have several small caliber Henry's. I just don't like how the Henry's fit me. I would definitely let him try a few different ones to see what fits him best. I really did want to like the Henry but just couldn't. Good luck.
Ron

buckshotshoey
06-22-2023, 10:06 AM
45-70 kicks too hard? Why are some of you using 400 grain plus boolits for deer?
I cast 325 grain and run them in front of 50 grains of Varget.
The recoil is roughly about the same as a 12 gauge.
Less then my muzzle loader!

That 325 with that charge will take down any deer up to 150 yards. Probably longer, but that is my
set limit.

As for the Henry, you won't be disappointed. My H010 is a work of art.
Very disappointed when I got my first dent in that BEAUTIFUL walnut.

I bought my Henry when Remington was busy screwing up the Marlin name.
Since Ruger took Marlin over, my decision would be harder today then
it was back then.

FergusonTO35
06-22-2023, 12:09 PM
I'm sure 50 grains Varget is a good load, but I just can't swallow pouring 50 grains of expensive and often out of stock rifle powder into each round! I'm switching all my rifles to powders with lower charge weights.

buckshotshoey
06-22-2023, 01:13 PM
I guess it depends on what you're using it for.. A 45-70 is not what I would consider a plinking load.

For the last 2 years I've only shot 5 rounds per year.. Four rounds to make sure it is sighted in, and 1 to harvest my deer. That's not going to be a bank breaker, or a powder reserve killer.

You situation my vary. But I just don't see the need to shoot that round a lot.
Factory 45-70 ammo, or even shotgun slugs cost more to shoot then using my Varget.

Winger Ed.
06-22-2023, 01:18 PM
decided he wanted another lever gun. .

I'd take him to the shop and let him pick which one he wants.

I'm sure he'd be more than happy with either one, but I'd still let him pick it.

HWooldridge
06-22-2023, 01:33 PM
If you want to plink, use collar button loads - that's about all I shoot from my rolling block anymore. And I load 350 gr bullets in the Marlin. Kills anything in Texas.

FergusonTO35
06-22-2023, 03:01 PM
I guess it depends on what you're using it for.. A 45-70 is not what I would consider a plinking load.

For the last 2 years I've only shot 5 rounds per year.. Four rounds to make sure it is sighted in, and 1 to harvest my deer. That's not going to be a bank breaker, or a powder reserve killer.

You situation my vary. But I just don't see the need to shoot that round a lot.
Factory 45-70 ammo, or even shotgun slugs cost more to shoot then using my Varget.

I need alot of practice just to be average, so I shoot all my hunting rifles and carry pistols quite a bit!

3856imp
06-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Just avoid remlins

3856imp
06-22-2023, 03:49 PM
Rod's butt test, if butt stock fits tight, look

Hondolane
06-22-2023, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=murf205;5590310][QUOTE=Randy Bohannon;5590271]

Yea me and my father live in Maryland. My great grandfather had an old Winchester in .38-55. My father is dead set on .45 Gov though. Recoil isnt a problem for him he is 51 but he is 6'3" and 245lbs .45-70 is only a speed bump for him plus he wears a lot of clothes in winter when he will use this rifle as he gets cold fast due to old age.... lol. I myself would love to get a Savage 99 in .38-55 though. Really looking into a Henry for my father though and he wasnt a fan of my uncles H&R Shikari or Buffalo Classic.

Sent you an email.

Shawlerbrook
06-22-2023, 06:36 PM
I like Henry’s but I would go with a Marlin.

Griff
06-22-2023, 08:58 PM
I know Winchester is still around and they have those Italian Stallion .45 lever guns but Id rather buy from an American company (nothing built here these days though)Winchester doesn't have anything "Italian". Their leverguns come out of the Miroku plant in Japan and will be the finest of quality. I have one of the Browning 1886s in 45-70 (1st year of production - 1985), and haven't seen anything that Henry, Ruger, Marlin, or Remington has produced that compares in fit or finish. That, plus it's a much stronger action.

indian joe
06-23-2023, 09:26 AM
Winchester doesn't have anything "Italian". Their leverguns come out of the Miroku plant in Japan and will be the finest of quality. I have one of the Browning 1886s in 45-70 (1st year of production - 1985), and haven't seen anything that Henry, Ruger, Marlin, or Remington has produced that compares in fit or finish. That, plus it's a much stronger action.

I have a Browning Miroku model 71 (348 w) and a Chiappa model 1886 (45/70)
The 348 I got new , 45/70 had fired six shots .....BOTH needed gunsmithing work before they functioned properly (in about equal portion)
I wont live long enough to wear either of them out and I am dang sure not stupid enough to load either of them to the point they will break ---japanese stronger than Italian ? maybe --maybe not --- its an academic argument
The Chiappa has a couple of things going for it - for starters follows the original design , no lawyer safety, solid firing pin, half cock notch safety