PDA

View Full Version : 375 JDJ Continued

JohnH
01-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Ouch, Did I say that loud enough? OUCH, Man that hurt. OK I surrender. 44 grains of 4895 and the Lyman 379449 out of a 26" tube recoils. Off the bench it takes the forearm out of my hand. Dang thing hit me twice. And we ain't even to max yet.... ain't gonna go either, I don't need that much killing, and I've already stuffed two pounds of ingots into the stock. I'd be about as interested in shooting a 375 JDJ from a pistol as I'd be in having my balls roasted with a blow torch

My first tests with this rifle were abysmal at best. 10 good shots then it would fall apart. Last week I oven hardened some of the Lee 379-250-RF and that made bad matters worse.

But sizing the Lyman boolit to 375 and seating it with the base flush with the neck/shoulder junction worked good, really good. Starting load for a Hornady 270 grainer is 43.9 grains of 4895. Phooey on that. Recoil has my tendonitis stirred up. It is more accurate than I can hold it, deal with the heavy trigger and short eye relief scope. So I backed off, way off.

Front of Speer's #13 has a few pages of powder description and in both IMR and Hodgdon 4895 it says the powder reduces well, giving a 3/5 reduction in the Hodgdon description. 60% of 48 grians (max for the load I was working with) is 28.8, so I rounded up to 30 and got nice even 1 1/4 inch groups, even with basic ACWW and no leading to boot. Ain't what I consider a plinking load, but for this case it sure is I garontee!

Also tried it with 860. 55 grains of 860, shot pretty good actually bt it left a bunch of unburned powder in the bore. So taking a cue from Buckshot's data on the 375-06 on the castpics page, I duplexed 54 grains with 2 grains of 4198. That cleaned up the burn pretty good, about as clean as the 30 grains of 4895, but the accuracy went out the window. Day was short, rained all morning, so I left things as they are and came in to put my stuff away and nurse my elbow with some Jack and Motrin. The Jack is starting to work :)