PDA

View Full Version : Single shot 30-40 Krag

northmn
02-10-2009, 10:06 AM
While browsing and daydreaming about what I would like to own I came across pictures of Repo Win Hi Walls in Buffalo Arms chambered for 30-40 Krag. I would think that that would be about ideal for a 30 cal cartridge for general shooting. I base that on the fact that I have loaded 303 Brits and have had great results with the old #4 SMLE's. The 30-40 has a longer neck and about the same capacity (some use loads interchanably between the two, whether wise or not I do not know) It should be more adaptable to cast bullets plus it is a 30 cal and I have had to do a little beagling to get my favorite bullet the 311284 to fit in my #4's. In addition it opens up plinking loads using 30 cal. I have taken a deer with a 210 grain bullet out of the 303 and was very impressed. Just daydreaming.

Norrthmn

Kraschenbirn
02-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah, know what you mean. I've been looking for a bubba'd Ruger #3 to rebarrel for the last 2 or 3 years.

Bill

Gerry N.
02-10-2009, 03:28 PM
While browsing and daydreaming about what I would like to own I came across pictures of Repo Win Hi Walls in Buffalo Arms chambered for 30-40 Krag. I would think that that would be about ideal for a 30 cal cartridge for general shooting. I base that on the fact that I have loaded 303 Brits and have had great results with the old #4 SMLE's. The 30-40 has a longer neck and about the same capacity (some use loads interchanably between the two, whether wise or not I do not know) It should be more adaptable to cast bullets plus it is a 30 cal and I have had to do a little beagling to get my favorite bullet the 311284 to fit in my #4's. In addition it opens up plinking loads using 30 cal. I have taken a deer with a 210 grain bullet out of the 303 and was very impressed. Just daydreaming.

Norrthmn

Back in the Renaissance, when I was a sprog, I was given an 18 inch barreled rolling block carbine someone had made up in .30-40 with a Springfield 2-groove barrel. It was fitted with a Springfield '03 front and a Lyman reciever sight. That thing was a boomer, and accuounted for several coast blacktails befor I had to sell it to buy my (now) wife a Christmas present. One thing I remember was the tendency it had to allow the cartridge to slip past the extractor if I wasn't careful loading it. I didn't give it much thought at the time, as simply tipping the thing muzzle up and giving it a slight shake would free the "jam".

Daydreaming about single shot .30-40's is an honorable and pleasant pastime. I've wondered recently about the practicality of a NEF Handi in .30-40.

Gerry N.

northmn
02-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Since the NEF is made in 30-06 it would be easy for someone to say get that instead. I just think the 30-40 would be more efficient with most cast loads at the velocities they function at. The 06 has been loaded pretty much to any level and would be a good choice, but I still like the rimmed 30-40. NEF must love nit picking people like me.

Northmn

SharpsShooter
02-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Here is one to dream about......I love the 30-40's

http://www.singleshotrifles.com/images/Rifles/silhouette.gif

exblaster
02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Here is one to dream about......I love the 30-40's

http://www.singleshotrifles.com/images/Rifles/silhouette.gif

Is that a CPA? I have a 44 1/2 and that would be a good one to rebarrel to.

Exblaster

Throwback
02-10-2009, 11:11 PM
I got one of the Cimarron High Walls last year and I will have to post pictures at some point. It has the double set triggers, which I find a bit light for any sort of field use. Other than this and the fact that it is quite a bit heavier than a .45-70 of the same size, it is a great rifle. It shoots briliantly with cast. The beauty of the .30-40 is the utter transferability of jacketed reloading data to cast bullets of the same weight. It is an optimal cast bullet case given its size and the long neck.

SharpsShooter
02-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Is that a CPA? I have a 44 1/2 and that would be a good one to rebarrel to.

Exblaster

Yes it is. That is CPA's silly-wet configuration. Their site is down at present. That's why the picture went AWOL

SS

Harry O
02-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Here is a picture of my Ruger No. 2 in 30-40 Krag. It has a Leupold 3x9-33 compact scope on it. It will shoot 1" to 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards with lead bullets. The bore is a little bit rougher than my original Krag, but I have not shot many jacketed bullets out of it.

hambone
02-12-2009, 02:02 AM
I have never posted here before and was looking for some load data for a 40-70 ss. and saw this forum on google. I am the proud new owner of a c.sharps in 40-70 ss. I don't know what I am going to do with it other than I know it is just going to be a lot of fun to shoot. I also traded for a meechum High Wall in 30-4- krag. Don't know yet whether I am going to keep it and shoot it or trade it off. It is almost too pretty to shoot. If I had any Idea how to put pictures on the computer I would put pictures of both guns on here. But I am just AOF (an old fart) and dont't know squat about computers. If anyone has any pet loads with smokeless powder for the 40-70 ss using 30-40 krag brass Iwould appreciate them. I need all the help I can get. Thanks, Mike

SharpsShooter
02-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the board Hambone. Generally speaking using the 30-40 case in the 40-70 is not the best idea for smokeless loads. The 40-70 headspaces on the rim and while the difference in the two rim thicknesses is slight, your eyes are right behind that case head when you fire. Buffallo Arms has 40-70 brass that is dimenmsionally correct for your C Sharps.

That said, the Lyman #403149 (330gr) and 23.0gr of IMR 4198 is a duplicate of the factory load. Velocity was 1150fps. If it were me, I'd go with the same boolit and Goex Cartridge, but that's me.

SS

NHlever
02-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Since the NEF is made in 30-06 it would be easy for someone to say get that instead. I just think the 30-40 would be more efficient with most cast loads at the velocities they function at. The 06 has been loaded pretty much to any level and would be a good choice, but I still like the rimmed 30-40. NEF must love nit picking people like me.

Northmn

It would be easier to just rechamber a 30-30 perhaps. The twist might be better for cast too, though I'm not sure about that.

Char-Gar
02-12-2009, 06:41 PM
The 30-40 is close to being the ideal 30 caliber cast bullet round. I have several Krag rifles and a Browning Traditional Hunter in 30-30 that I have often considered rechambering to 30-40. Some days, I think it is a good idea, and other days I dont think I would gain enough to make it worth the effort.

NoDakJak
02-12-2009, 11:22 PM
My most prized cast shooter is a #3 Ruger chambered to 30-40. It has a 1 1/2 X 4 Weaver scope and a two pound trigger. It has by far the best trigger and is the most accurate of the many #1 and #3 Rugers that I have owned. It seems to dote on Ramshots, Enforcer powder although others do well also. Neil