PDA

View Full Version : Need a new chronograph

RSOJim
02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Ok, mine has been shot too many times, not only by me but others. The last time was by a 500 boswell. It didn't really hit the sensors or the sky screens, but the muzzle blast must have done some terrible things inside the sensors. Yesterday I was shooting some 38 wad cutters with a small amount of bullseye. Would you believe 1551 fps average. Yarp, its time for something different. Anyone have any suggetions ? Thanks Jim

218bee
02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I use a PACT that is nice but finicky to get set-up. A lot of guys just buy a Chrony and seem to be happy with them

870TC
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I also use a Pact, they fix them for free if you shoot them :) you just pay postage.

Hip's Ax
02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Years ago I bought the cheap F1 Chrony because I had read at length on the internet that chronys have a nasty habit of getting shot. Never did use the thing.

Well, now that I'm shooting 1000 yard and need to live and die by velocity I knew I had to buy a fancier chrony. My friends all recommended the CED chrony and also the CED carry bag. I hate buying "extras" like carry bags et al but my friends (who are cheap too) assured me that the bag was so well thought out that having it assures you that everything is there before you go to the range. Got it but haven't tried it yet. Too cold here.

Firebricker
02-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I like the Pact one big reason is made in U.S.A. second it works good and another selling point is the actual chrono is beside you out of harms way the rest of the set is easy to replace if it gets hit. RSOJIM, before i replaced it I'd have my buddies over and show how fast you can load em. LOL

Gunfixer
02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I got the CED Millenium several years ago because I did not want to shoot at the unit. I have had no trouble at all with it.( other than operator error) And as per the information, the LCD screen has big enough figures that I can set it up at 100 yds and read the numbers through a scope.

AZ-Stew
02-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Chrony has several models that allow the electronics and display to be placed on the bench while you shoot over the sensors. Their MOST expensive one is around $200 and comes with a printer.

I've had mine for several years (~5) and it doesn't have a scratch on it. The sun shades wore out and I had to buy a new set, and one of the range officers at our club walked between my bench and the chrono tripod during a cease fire, becoming tangled in the cable and dragging the "works" of the chrono off onto the concrete and damaging the display (since replaced), but other than that, I have absolutely no complaints about it.

If you want one of the cheaper models where you shoot over the entire works of the chrono, just be sure the barrel of your gun is lined up above the chrono and centered between the sunscreen posts. Look downrange along the sides of your barrel and be sure it is above the chrono. Also, shoot from a solid rest. Don't shoot while holding the gun with only your hands/arms. I suspect this is how most chronographs meet their maker, so to speak.

Regards,

Stew

Southern Son
02-11-2009, 07:37 AM
I have the Chrony. The one with the LCD separate to the main body. Love it. Have not shot it yet, but grease cookies out of my black powder 45/70 loads have hit it more than once. It is a great little unit that pretty much packs away into itself. Only the sunshades and the sunshade legs don't fit inside the unit when you fold it up. I keep meaning to make up a wood box to keep it all in, but the cardboard box it came in is still doing a good job 18 months down the track.

Lloyd Smale
02-11-2009, 08:16 AM
another vote for a pact.

VintageRifle
02-11-2009, 10:14 AM
The Chrony units work just fine. You might be able to find a good used one for under $40 if you look around. I picked mine up here for $35. Works just fine.

HeavyMetal
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I've had a Chrony since they first came out.

The little fold up one you shoot at! Realized, before the first time I used it, that the possiblity of putting a round through it was extremely high!

So I found a base for a gumball machine at the scrap yard, put a 3 foot pipe post on it, welded up an angled Steel base and sheild to protect the chrony. Then I RTV'd a mirror in front of the chrony and added a bicycle mirror as a side mount! Works like a periscope! I can see a direct read out of velocity and any "missed" shots bounce off the angle shield!

The base and pole use pipe thread so it dismounts for a compact (?) transport.

Unit still looks like new and has never been back for a repair!

RSOJim
02-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I failed to mention in my first post that I have a Pact. I didn't know they would repair for free. I will try to contact them today. thanks again Jim

AZ-Stew
02-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Jim,

I forgot to mention one thing. Should you decide to buy a Chrony, you can send them your old Pact and get $$ off the price of your new Chrony. Check their web site for details.

Regards,

Stew

RSOJim
02-13-2009, 07:35 AM
This will be part of the rest of the story. I don't know how this will turn out yet. Yesterday I called Pact. I talked with a real nice fellow, don't recall his name right now. I explained about shooting across the sensors with a 500 boswell and blowing the sky screens and sensors to the ground and that it never worked after that. I also explained to him that I took the sensors apart and found a wire had come unsoldered from one of the sensors and that I had soldered it back in place and that now I had readings that were unrealistic. He told me to send it back along with a check for $14.95 and they would see what they could do. I boxed it up and sent it. More later. thanks Jim

HABCAN
02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
My PACT Pro c/w printer does not like working in cold weather, artificial indoor light, nor does it admit that the .303 Brit exists. BOO! I like to use it for 'what if' calcs and there seems to be no program updates since I bought it (CDN$600, del'd. here!) years ago. When a dear sweet elderly gentleman put two rounds through the screens he paid CDN$50 to get me new ones. Cdn. Customs held the shipment for a month. When I finally traced the shipment and called them from my then gunshop, the immigrant 'official' quizzed me for half an hour long distance on my dime unable to understand that the screens were NOT 'Oh my goodness, parts for a firearm'.

Yeah, I've had those kinda problems with my PACT. But it sure is a quality gadget, and once set up and aligned, it works like a damn outdoors in the summertime, LOL!