PDA

View Full Version : .264 Win. Mag. chambering problems

MW3840
06-15-2023, 06:59 AM
Good morning, all you knowledgeable handloaders,

A friend of mine has a Rem. 700 ADL and a Rem. 700 BDL, both chambered in .264 Win. Mag., that he is having problems with seating the empty case. He is an experienced handloader.

He bought some fired brass, full length sized it, trimmed it to length, and can't get the brass to seat in the BDL. It will, however, seat in the ADL. He asked me for advice, and I told him I would post on CastBoolits. Someone out there will know the answer.

So, any ideas?

Thank you in advance,
Mike

country gent
06-15-2023, 07:08 AM
Have him coat the cartridge with ink. black magic marker works well then carefully chamber and see where its tight by the bright marks.

pworley1
06-15-2023, 07:11 AM
He might try annealing the brass and full length sizing again making sure that the shell holder bumps the sizing die. Sometimes hardened brass will have spring back.

Larry Gibson
06-15-2023, 09:15 AM
The bolt face to shoulder headspace (not the case belt headspace) in the BDL is probably slightly shorter than in the ADL. The ram "cams over" on his press during sizing is many times the culprit when this situation occurs. If such is the case he should adjust the FL die so the the shell holder bumps solidly against the bottom of the die and does not cam over.

He would then be sizing the cases to fit the "tightest" chamber and the loaded rounds woud be usable in both rifles. For longer case life, neck sizing the cases (would require a separate neck sizing die) and keeping them specific to one rifle would be called for. However, the loaded rounds would then not be usable between the two rifles.

chriskendziora
06-15-2023, 01:57 PM
Measure a piece of fire brass from each rifle. I suspect the length from the shoulder to case head on the ADL is longer than the BDL. As someone mentioned with a piece of brass in the shell holder raise the ram to touch the die. Now size the brass amd see if it fits. If not then turn the die down say 1/4 turn and try again. Chamber differences. My .308 rounds won't fit my me dad's. 308, but his will first mine...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

stubshaft
06-15-2023, 03:06 PM
+1 - On what Larry said. I have two 7mm Mags that I have to load separately because the chambers are slightly different. I CAN load them so that the cases will fit in both rifles, but it overworks the longer chambers brass.

TD1886
06-15-2023, 03:38 PM
Belts on cartridges that bottle necked have no reason to be there. Purely, in my opinion, a sales gimmick. Grant you there are belted magnums cartridges that indeed do need the belt to head space. The 458 Win Mag is a very good example. When I owned belted magnums I resized them like I did my non belted bottle neck cartridges because I knew very well that you can invite a head separation sizing them to headspace on the belt. Did from way back in the 70's.

MW3840
06-18-2023, 06:04 AM
Thanks for all the help, reloading folks, it was much appreciated.

Gobeyond
06-27-2023, 01:08 AM
Get a special sizing die and bump the shoulder a couple 1/1000’s.

gunfan2
06-27-2023, 10:22 AM
Might try a different shell holder, i have seen them with different thicknesses and not allowing the brass to fully resize!

Dom
06-28-2023, 10:36 PM
Just another thought. I have a .338 Win mag with a minimum chamber. Brass fired in most mass produced factory rifles, have + & - chamber spec's. A .338 case fired in a chamber on the + side , even if FL sized, will not chamber in my rifle. The problem being, the belt has expanded & is over sized for my chamber. The FL sizer die does not size the belt. I sacrificed one of the + size cases I have . FL sized it, then filed around the belt down slightly . It then slipped right in. Not saying this is the problem your having, but another thought. You might try filing down the belt on one of you FL sized cases to see if it would then chamber...