PDA

View Full Version : .30 caliber bullet storage

Krag1902
06-13-2023, 08:43 PM
I don't know if I discovered this or if it is common knowledge, but I have been using the clear plastic boxes with removable sliding lids that 22 Magnum and the 17 RF magnum cartridges come in to store bullets. Fifty .30 caliber CBs fit neatly inside almost as if they were designed to do so. The labels come off if softened for just a while with paint thinner. Let on too long if will cloud the plastic up. They are tall enough to accept even the 311284. I use about sixty of the and they stack nicely on my shelves and I can see the contents. The help keep things clean and organized.

Krag1902
06-13-2023, 08:47 PM
I have been successful in finding them in the trash barrels at our Ikes range.

dtknowles
06-13-2023, 09:30 PM
I use the .22 lr plastic packages to store bullets. Mostly use the square ones not the long skinny ones.
Tim

Winger Ed.
06-13-2023, 09:34 PM
If I cast more than I load for a project, I store them in a empty plastic creamer can with the screw on lid.
Before that, I'd put 'em in a zip-lock plastic bag and drop it in a empty coffee can.

DDriller
06-13-2023, 10:59 PM
Like Winger Ed I use the plastic creamer containers. They do get heavy if you fill them up.

porthos
06-16-2023, 07:44 PM
i use disgarded reloading die plastic boxes. cut out the dividers with a dremel tool.use a thin piece of plywood or even cardboard cut out for the slightly uneven bottom. also i use the small parts containers that have 10-15 sliding trays. can be bought at Lowes ect.

Rich/WIS
06-17-2023, 01:21 PM
Make my own boxes by cutting up old mailing boxes, usually two layers deep for rilfle and four or five deep foe handgun. Since my casting never comes out evenly us the plastic discards for the overflow.

MW3840
06-18-2023, 06:06 AM
Your wife's hair dryer will do an excellent job in getting the label off the .22 boxes. Just heat enough to where they will peel off.

pworley1
06-18-2023, 09:36 AM
I just use zip-lock bags for the extras.

Dusty Bannister
06-18-2023, 01:05 PM
There are some nice ideas in the archives when folks take the time to check it out. I saved this for future use.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?329040-Leo-s-Bullet-Boxes

higgins
06-18-2023, 08:15 PM
Or to ease label removal leave them on the dash of your closed up vehicle starting this time of year.

Winger Ed.
06-18-2023, 09:52 PM
The labels come off if softened for just a while with paint thinner. Let on too long if will cloud the plastic up.

For the really stuck on labels- I just put the new label over the problem child.

lightman
06-20-2023, 11:27 AM
Reloaders are great about recycling or repurposing stuff to fit their needs. I'm another that uses the coffee creamer jugs for bullets. And plastic Folgers coffee cans for brass.

Dusty Bannister
06-20-2023, 12:44 PM
Does anyone else select one product over another because the container can be repurposed? Yes, Folgers coffee cans are great for sorting brass, or holding about 50 pounds of a specific alloy blend. Snap on lid keeps things dust free.

farmerjim
06-20-2023, 01:01 PM
I use the 7 5/8L X 6 1/2W X 4 1/2 H Sterilite 18038612 Flip Top, Clear boxes.
I stack them 5 high. I got them years ago at $1 each, they are now $3. I have at least 250 of them filled with cast and PCed boolits and loaded and ready to shoot ammo. I would be out of room without these stack-able boxes. They are all labeled with what is in them.

Winger Ed.
06-20-2023, 01:18 PM
plastic Folgers coffee cans for brass.

I have for years.
I sort them by cal. and toss 'em in a appropriate can.
There's a row of them on a shelf in the shop. When one or two are full of one cal., it's about time to set up and load them.
To simplify the labeling process, I write on them with sharpie in the blank spot where the finger grippers are.
With a never ending supply of new empty cans, removing a old label has never been a problem.

LenH
06-21-2023, 08:00 AM
I am a bit partial to the empty mixed nut containers from Sam's or Costco. They hold a pile of bullets.

I like the pint size gelato containers with a screw on lid for rifle bullets as I don't cast a bunch of those at a time.

lightman
06-21-2023, 12:01 PM
I have for years.
I sort them by cal. and toss 'em in a appropriate can.
There's a row of them on a shelf in the shop. When one or two are full of one cal., it's about time to set up and load them.
To simplify the labeling process, I write on them with sharpie in the blank spot where the finger grippers are.
With a never ending supply of new empty cans, removing a old label has never been a problem.

Thats where I write on mine too! I use a sharpie and have found that PVC pipe cleaner will remove the writing without damaging the plastic.
I got a head start on them by getting them from work, before I retired. Now my Coffee habit can keep up with any future needs.

Hanzy4200
06-24-2023, 03:33 PM
I use assorted clear plastic containers. Clear premium pint ice cream containers for small stuff, Vlasic pickle tubs for medium, and and gallon banana pepper tubs for brass. I like clear, as I have dozens of containers and quick visual ID'ing is faster than reading labels.